Author Topic: Paying For Skate Spots?  (Read 10355 times)

otis shredding

Paying For Skate Spots?
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
So this dude that lives around the Orange County area decided to make a website where he has a bunch of spots on a map and you pay him some money to get access to spots in a certain location. However, he doesn't find the spots, he asks for them on Skate Perception and then has people pay for them. Also, he screen grabs from videos (ex. matt bublitz's warfare) and also uses local photographers photos to "advertise" the spots without getting the filmer/photographers consent on the photo or video grab. Not to mention that he is a grown man that argues extremely childishly over Facebook.
Basically i wanted to see how you guys feel about this, personally I'm not a fan, i think that people who take the time to hunt the spots down deserve to keep them relatively secret, and ultimately the website will fuck over a bunch of new and old spots alike due to kids who leave trash and just degrade the spots by not having respect for any of them.
What do you guys think? Good or bad?

Skate Spot CA Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003193667287

Skate Spot CA Website: http://www.skatespotsca.com/

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Paying For Skate Spots?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
Just post the password already.

johnnymousedoom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
I will disregard the fact that you are ranting and reply truthfully.  Half the fun of skateboarding is the hunt for spots just by skateboarding around. How lame can you be to A) advertise skatespots and stop people from pushing around to find their own skate spots and B) how can you say you love skateboarding if you are paying someone to give you access to spots and not going out with friends to venture around. I guess one of those points is redundant, but c'moooooon man.

otis shredding

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:02 PM »
I will disregard the fact that you are ranting and reply truthfully.  Half the fun of skateboarding is the hunt for spots just by skateboarding around. How lame can you be to A) advertise skatespots and stop people from pushing around to find their own skate spots and B) how can you say you love skateboarding if you are paying someone to give you access to spots and not going out with friends to venture around. I guess one of those points is redundant, but c'moooooon man.

i guess it did look like i was ranting, but honestly it just weirds me out every time i see it because I've never seen anything like it. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I know 'es had that little map thing on their old site, but it had stuff like Hollywood High and spots like that...

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
idk, it either says give him 3 spots or donate 2 bucks. Maybe he just wants to pay for the web domain. Idk how it works though.

I like to stumble upon spots myself...

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
i think the $2 thing is dumb but the whole idea of trading spots is kinda funny.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

gnarnel

• Rep: 6
  • ilikeboys
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
thats kinda stupid him asking for money it reminds me of some kid from my home town who likes to hide spots from other people because apperently itll make it a bust if people go there but really the kid didnt tell any one because the people he would film wouldnt wanna get shown up at the spots they skated so they wouldnt share them with any one wich is probably the dumbest thing besides this idiot charging people to look at pictures of skate spots . some people are just gay

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »
Putting spots out on the internet is lame, selling them is even lamer.  What's next, is this guy going to start giving out GPS coordinants?  Spots should either be found or learned about through word of mouth from other skaters.  It sucks for people who live near a spot and have spent time waxing, breaking it in, learning when it's not a bust to skate there, etc. when it gets blown out. 

Soty2020

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »
fuck this guy

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »
Are spot maps that controversial? I mean quartersnacks, for example, also has one.
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:49:25 AM »
Expand Quote
thats kinda stupid him asking for money it reminds me of some kid from my home town who likes to hide spots from other people because apperently itll make it a bust if people go there but really the kid didnt tell any one because the people he would film wouldnt wanna get shown up at the spots they skated so they wouldnt share them with any one wich is probably the dumbest thing besides this idiot charging people to look at pictures of skate spots . some people are just gay
[close]

I like your wording.  It made me picture some kid, dragging leaves and branches over his skate spot to hide it.

Haha that would be funny if someone actually tried this.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
I know people that used to do that sort of shit actually. Some random kids in my hometown that were "filming a video" would drag parking blocks out and put them on the landing of different gaps around the area. They also used to shovel dirt and rocks onto the run-ups to prevent kids from skating them before the video was finished. Kinda like when a young dog pisses on different parts of the neighborhood to claim ownership.

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
I think this guy is wasting his time trying to make money off this.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
As long as it stays in California, I'm fine with it.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »
Are spot maps that controversial? I mean quartersnacks, for example, also has one.

It depends on the map. ?  Inclusion on Quartersnacks' map requires a spot to have been in at least three Canandian skate videos, which means its location is pretty much public knowledge, and marking it on the internet is really just a formality and is not controversial. ? Now, on the other hand, a GPS guide to the Static Series might ruffle a few feathers.

Anyway, fuck this guy.

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
That guy sounds like a ridiculous elitist. Paying for spots is the lamest thing I have ever heard, for the person trying to find the spots, and the person "selling" the spots. Spot hunting was all my buddy and I would do before or after sessions in the winter.
I went to a city last summer with a new skatepark built there. I had been there a couple years back and skated a couple spots but could not recall them very well. My friends and I went to the local shop and asked about some spots, and they laughed at us and said that the best spot was a waist high ledge just a couple blocks away. Fucking dicks.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
ive been telling my friend who goes above and beyond when it comes to finding and making spots to make an app like this for a while. you could have a free version with the well known spots general location or you could cop the premium subscription that would be constantly updated with new spots and gps coordinates

Max Power

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
when i moved to louisville from jax beach i  paid some dude to take me to around to show me spots here. shit was kinda harsh now that i think about it

im probably lying

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
Slash was talking about how jon allie goes out of his way to cut rails out that slash would be trying shit on so i wouldn't be too surprised by people that want to keep it low key.
I share just about everything i skate with my friends on instagram, the more the merrier. With that said, there are a bunch of local kids that are annoying little robot cocks that i wont give spots up to though.
I'll shred with who ever, as long as you're not a douche.

As for this spot location thing, it's lame, i think we all can understand that. Just go skate, quit tripping about footage, and enjoy your days.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Seems kinda lame. I take pride in riding my bike around town all day trying to find something new. Ive gotten lucky a few times.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »
gotta skate em all

PilotRyan

• SkateSpotsCA.com
    • SkateSpotsCA.com avatar image
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
Well now that everyone has gotten what they have wanted to say off their chest...
Personally this website was created for myself. It was a way for people to see the spots I knew about and then they could send in some of their own spots to get my spots. I have a very tight schedule and cant afford to drive around looking for spots, so why not just have the spots come to me? After seeing how much everyone enjoyed what I was doing, despite the people who are against it, I got more involved in creating skatespotsca.com. A lot of people like what I am doing and a few people dont. Im sorry but majority rules here.
As for selling the spots, I dont. Everyone has spots, and if you dont want to share yours then donate to the site so I can keep it running, so you can still get spots. Honestly I dont get a dime. In fact I just paid a large sum of money to build a better site, so any donations will go right back to the site for a long time.
In the end, you can hate it all you like, but ultimately its what skateboarding needs. I know you're thinking this will destroy skateboarding. I highly doubt that people being more excited about skating because they have some many awesome spots to skate is going to do anything except keep skateboarding growing. Hate on it all you like, but remember when you spend all day looking for a spot and find nothing that there is a solution.
The skate spot site that actually works, really
SkateSpotsCA.com

hydrant hopper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
searching for spots all day is a great time.  if you are not in the middle of no where you will find something, especially in california.

PilotRyan

• SkateSpotsCA.com
    • SkateSpotsCA.com avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
searching for spots all day is a great time.  if you are not in the middle of no where you will find something, especially in california.
Yeah for sure, I loved just skating around aimlessly but with working 3 jobs makes this type of skating tough
The skate spot site that actually works, really
SkateSpotsCA.com

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
I think paying for access is kind of lame (look into advertising to pay for the domain) but the map is a great idea.

I just got back from a short business trip to Los Angeles. It was fun skating the plazas and everything but I didn't get to skate that many real street spots. This map is perfect for the traveling skater. To the people saying "drive around and search for spots" yeah that sounds like a good idea but when you are by yourself in a foreign place that can be a giant waste of time or lead to something bad.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
Bobby Puleo is from your hometown?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »
Well now that everyone has gotten what they have wanted to say off their chest...
Personally this website was created for myself. It was a way for people to see the spots I knew about and then they could send in some of their own spots to get my spots. I have a very tight schedule and cant afford to drive around looking for spots, so why not just have the spots come to me? After seeing how much everyone enjoyed what I was doing, despite the people who are against it, I got more involved in creating skatespotsca.com. A lot of people like what I am doing and a few people dont. Im sorry but majority rules here.
As for selling the spots, I dont. Everyone has spots, and if you dont want to share yours then donate to the site so I can keep it running, so you can still get spots. Honestly I dont get a dime. In fact I just paid a large sum of money to build a better site, so any donations will go right back to the site for a long time.
In the end, you can hate it all you like, but ultimately its what skateboarding needs. I know you're thinking this will destroy skateboarding. I highly doubt that people being more excited about skating because they have some many awesome spots to skate is going to do anything except keep skateboarding growing. Hate on it all you like, but remember when you spend all day looking for a spot and find nothing that there is a solution.

Tight schedule? What are you doogie howser? You have time to build and run a site, but you can't go find your own spots. Your entire plan is transparent. Skateboarding doesn't need this. Skateboarding needs to have people gang up and go search for spots, thats half the fun.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »
bobby puleos reaction:

otis shredding

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:20 AM »
But you have the time to lurk slap for posts that involve you in them?