Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 232551 times)

theloniousmonk, Xen and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

DanRar009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2610 on: April 19, 2024, 07:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone ride the 8.38 green eagle/white real oval board with standard team thunders ? I wanna snag one of the two but didn’t know if it would feel wonky with thunders. I have an old set of standard Indy’s I’ve used on longer sized boards but honestly can’t stand riding Indys
[close]

My friend has had this exact setup for 5 years. 149 or 159, 52-52 classics, and he fucking rips for an old guy. Mini ramp god and can get pretty tech with it. I've ridden his boards and the 159 are too much for me, but it felt less long than I thought.

Hell yeah that’s sick man sounds promising so I think imma just snag one of them boards then and I’ll stick to my 149 thunders with it. Been on those for years now and can’t go back to anything else lol
Shit one last thing, do anti hero’s have the same r1 construction real uses? I like the snap and pop of a real deck just haven’t ridden an anti hero in a while.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2611 on: April 19, 2024, 12:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone ride the 8.38 green eagle/white real oval board with standard team thunders ? I wanna snag one of the two but didn’t know if it would feel wonky with thunders. I have an old set of standard Indy’s I’ve used on longer sized boards but honestly can’t stand riding Indys
[close]

My friend has had this exact setup for 5 years. 149 or 159, 52-52 classics, and he fucking rips for an old guy. Mini ramp god and can get pretty tech with it. I've ridden his boards and the 159 are too much for me, but it felt less long than I thought.
[close]

Hell yeah that’s sick man sounds promising so I think imma just snag one of them boards then and I’ll stick to my 149 thunders with it. Been on those for years now and can’t go back to anything else lol
Shit one last thing, do anti hero’s have the same r1 construction real uses? I like the snap and pop of a real deck just haven’t ridden an anti hero in a while.

i’ve got a green eagle 8.38, next up, most likely going to set it up on thunder 149 teams.
hope it works well for you

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2612 on: April 19, 2024, 04:01:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I actually got that really popular Girl 8.25 and drilled the tail out. Its listed as 6.8 on their site and drilling it in took it to 6.6". Skated awesome- they need to simply move the bolts on the tail out a bit OR the bolts on both kicks slightly and it would be the perfect 8.25.
[close]

That's actually something I had thought about. I recently got the new Sean Malto G089 shape which I really like except the tail is too long and the wheelbase is only 14". If I could redrill the holes to make the tail 1/4" shorter I think it'd be perfect. But wouldn't 1/4" be too close to the existing factory drilled holes? I've never redrilled a board before so I'm not sure. Is there a minimum distance you have to drill to maintain structural integrity?
[close]

I've seen quite a few people use the 1/4" chems tool to redrill their WB and haven't heard any issues re: structural integrity, but Idk how hard they're skating. I don't imagine there being any issues unless you're hucking all the time.

For the rear truck, yeah, structural integrity is weakened for sure, there's a reason why most double drilled boards are nose only.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2613 on: April 19, 2024, 06:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Re board construction, yes they are all the same, the only time things are any different is when they specify it, eg these new easy riders, or price point boards which are cheaper wood and lower price.

Between way too many of any and all DLX boards I have had, some are more mellow, some steeper, so maybe different molds, but all are the same wood, same everything for them.  That doesn't mean they all skate the same or hold up the same, but that is usually almost always down to how a person skates that board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DanRar009

« Reply #2614 on: April 20, 2024, 03:14:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i’ve got a green eagle 8.38, next up, most likely going to set it up on thunder 149 teams.
hope it works well for you

Thank you! I’m sure it’ll be fine and I’m just getting in my head too much. I’ve ridden baker boards with 14.5 wheelbases on thunders and it felt good so I’m sure I can expect the same out of a green eagle

DanRar009

« Reply #2615 on: April 20, 2024, 03:17:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Re board construction, yes they are all the same, the only time things are any different is when they specify it, eg these new easy riders, or price point boards which are cheaper wood and lower price.

Between way too many of any and all DLX boards I have had, some are more mellow, some steeper, so maybe different molds, but all are the same wood, same everything for them.  That doesn't mean they all skate the same or hold up the same, but that is usually almost always down to how a person skates that board.

Yeah I kind of wish dlx would trim down all the different kinds of boards they offer and kinda make it a little more streamlined. It’s frustrating liking a board and trying to make it your go to but having every other one feel different from the next even though it’s the same size shape and graphic

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #2616 on: April 20, 2024, 11:43:10 AM »
Just ordered the Gonz 9.02 on a new anchor shape. 
Anyone know what the anchor shape means?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2617 on: April 20, 2024, 12:13:36 PM »
Not famil, but “point-oh-two” has got to be some sort of a nod to the gear nerds out there.
Half a mm? You’re liable to lose that much in the mfg process, depending on who’s running the edge sander that day.
SMH at .02” & totally here for it.
Nice looking dims, though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:44:32 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2618 on: April 20, 2024, 04:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not famil, but “point-oh-two” has got to be some sort of a nod to the gear nerds out there.
Half a mm? You’re liable to lose that much in the mfg process, depending on who’s running the bevel sander that day.
SMH at .02” & totally here for it.
Nice looking dims, though.

When I saw the catalog, I thought "Finally they are coming to the party with a more normal length and wheelbase on a wide board" in the same way that a lot of other brands have shortened wheelbases and lengths.

Looks really good and pretty keen to at least see one, probably get one there and then too, but any which way, I can't think of any reason for the name, but most likely someone had a good idea at DLX or a team rider or something.

Other DLX boards also coming in that shape in future drops would be a really good thing too, one already in pre book info, but people can wait and see it when they put up the catalog.

I also like what could almost be a nod at when Krooked (Gonz) and The Firm (Lance) did that semi colab board on their respective brands - reminded me of that anyway.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2024

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2619 on: April 20, 2024, 04:07:51 PM »

Sold out very quickly from some places, but at least this link has all dimensions still:

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/gonz-your-good-902-anchor-shape-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   9.02
WIDTH (IN):   9.02
LENGTH (IN):   32.2
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.34
NOSE LENGTH (IN):   7.0
TAIL LENGTH (IN):   6.75

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #2620 on: April 21, 2024, 04:32:19 AM »
Wow. I’ve surprised myself & came back to a thread i posted on!

I’m pretty darn excited to get this deck. I’ll report back when in shows up. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2621 on: April 22, 2024, 05:00:21 PM »

To me this post makes me think those boards are super mellow and flat in the kicks too, which people on here have said is not the case.

Wondering if it is just luck of the draw, I stamp vs IV stamp or whatever, but either way, it is just another post to add to this thread for comment, or general interest.

The third frame, 21.4 degrees on both kicks is a very interesting one, given most other boards are usually around 22 to 23 when I measure them, eg 23 nose with 22 tail.  Some of the more mellow feeling ones are around 21 nose and 20 tail, but there don't seem to be too many of them, in all the boards I have had.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2622 on: April 22, 2024, 05:25:42 PM »

* Any which way, I am still keen to see and try one, so it really doesn't matter to me.  Just had to add that.

I see all the info is up on the DLX home page now too.

https://www.dlxsf.com/easyriders/

Krooked painted eyes graphic in both 8.25 and 8.38 as well, along with the glitter eagles in 8.38 and 8.5 and the Real boards as per other info 8.25 and 8.5 sizes.

sk8rgrl420

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2623 on: April 23, 2024, 01:26:44 PM »
Just went to the shop and didn't realize that the Krooked easy rider 8.25 had a 14.38 wheelbase while the Real easy rider 8.25 has a smaller 14 inch wheelbase. Why did they decide that different easy riders would have different wheelbases even if they have the same width?

DRUNK_ASS_WIZARD

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2624 on: April 23, 2024, 03:51:20 PM »
Just went to the shop and didn't realize that the Krooked easy rider 8.25 had a 14.38 wheelbase while the Real easy rider 8.25 has a smaller 14 inch wheelbase. Why did they decide that different easy riders would have different wheelbases even if they have the same width?

The Krooked deck should be the standard DLX 8.25" with the 14.38" wheelbase and the Real board is a new 8.25" shape designed by Ben Degros.  Ben's is maybe a hair longer, but has a significantly shorter wheelbase.

sk8rgrl420

« Reply #2625 on: April 23, 2024, 11:30:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Krooked deck should be the standard DLX 8.25" with the 14.38" wheelbase and the Real board is a new 8.25" shape designed by Ben Degros.  Ben's is maybe a hair longer, but has a significantly shorter wheelbase.

I understand that now, but my assumption was that the “easy rider” name was the name of the shape that Ben had designed as opposed to just being a reference to the concave. If I get a “true fit” 8.25 deck in real and Krooked, the wheelbase and width will be the same across brands.

Even their website for the easy rider shape literally links to Ben’s video which confuses me even more

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2626 on: April 23, 2024, 11:55:25 PM »
Ordered the blue easy rider eagle, psyched to try it out. It says the nose and tail are symmetrical, is it a twin? Or just the pop angle is symmetrical...

DakotaRed

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2627 on: April 24, 2024, 03:53:26 AM »
Has anyone skated the dlx 8.75 full se? The 32.86 length has me on the fence.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #2628 on: April 24, 2024, 04:56:22 AM »
Ordered the blue easy rider eagle, psyched to try it out. It says the nose and tail are symmetrical, is it a twin? Or just the pop angle is symmetrical...
It's just the pop angle.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2629 on: April 24, 2024, 09:06:36 AM »

There is no SE to the 8.75 FULL board, just big, wide and very long, 14.7 wb on that one as per the info here in the old page that is still up:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

Re skated it, yes I have one and although I don't usually skate really big boards like that, it is fun to haul around on, mainly big bowl, park or big ramps, although anyone with enough muscle mass should be able to do almost anything on it, compared to a smaller and easier board.

If you were not wanting something quite so big, the usual 8.75 DLX board is a lot of fun and quite a few people have that as their usual board, or at least one in their quiver.

Then there are two other shorter 8.75 boards out, both the 8.75 Tru Fit and the AH 8.75 short currently the Mis-registered eagle series, relevant dimensions on their respective pages, so worth a look at both as they are slightly different:

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2024/

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2024

As for the actual shape of that Real 8.75 FULL board, the construction page is pretty good to see, but other pics are out there on some shop sites too, which I had linked previously back in this thread somewhere.

* Easy it is still in stock on Tactics:

https://www.tactics.com/real/guerroro-barnelco-x-real-875-full-shape-skateboard-deck

WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.86
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.7
NOSE LENGTH (IN):   7.25

DakotaRed

« Reply #2630 on: April 24, 2024, 10:20:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is no SE to the 8.75 FULL board, just big, wide and very long, 14.7 wb on that one as per the info here in the old page that is still up:

https://www.realskateboards.com/construction/

Re skated it, yes I have one and although I don't usually skate really big boards like that, it is fun to haul around on, mainly big bowl, park or big ramps, although anyone with enough muscle mass should be able to do almost anything on it, compared to a smaller and easier board.

If you were not wanting something quite so big, the usual 8.75 DLX board is a lot of fun and quite a few people have that as their usual board, or at least one in their quiver.

Then there are two other shorter 8.75 boards out, both the 8.75 Tru Fit and the AH 8.75 short currently the Mis-registered eagle series, relevant dimensions on their respective pages, so worth a look at both as they are slightly different:

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-2024/

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/spring-2024

As for the actual shape of that Real 8.75 FULL board, the construction page is pretty good to see, but other pics are out there on some shop sites too, which I had linked previously back in this thread somewhere.

* Easy it is still in stock on Tactics:

https://www.tactics.com/real/guerroro-barnelco-x-real-875-full-shape-skateboard-deck

WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.86
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.7
NOSE LENGTH (IN):   7.25
Thanks for the info/reply! My mistake on the SE part.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2631 on: April 24, 2024, 10:32:28 AM »
I rode two of these (one BA and one Grosso) and they feel big, for sure. I usually like a 32+ length because of my height, but the long wheelbase, long length, and full/square shape made this a hefty board. As noted by someone else, the standard 8.75 dlx shape (krooked eyes deck, for one) is much more enjoyable.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2632 on: April 24, 2024, 10:39:34 AM »
The 8.75 is what I use for transition and curbs. IDs not as big as you'd think it would be. I want to try the There Chandler shape soon as well. It actually scoops surprisingly well on the occasion that I also wanna do a bit of flat ground while I'm out.

DakotaRed

« Reply #2633 on: April 24, 2024, 10:53:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I thought the full would be fun on parking blocks at a school by my house, but I may try the 8.75/31.75. I'm also sort of looking for zig zagger specs in a popsicle shape. The Cardiel desertscape 8.62 is pretty close, plus the graphic is sick. Zagger: 8.62/32.18/14.68 Cardiel: 8.62/32.25/14.5...

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2634 on: April 24, 2024, 01:04:42 PM »
I’m currently skating an AH Grant Taylor 8.75 14.62WB (same as the white Classic Eagle). Although I like the full and long nose and tail, I’m considering sizing down a bit to make my board a bit more manageable for flip tricks. I see most AH 8.5 decks have a 14.25WB which I would probably find too cramped, so I’m looking at an 8.38 with 14.5WB that our local shop has in stock (the Daan van der Linde pigeon vision, same shape as the green classic eagle). It does have a bit shorter and pointier nose and tail though.

Has anyone skated both and noticed any noteworthy differences? I’m currently skating the 8.75 with Indy Titanium 159s, which I’m planning on using on the 8.38 as well.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2635 on: April 24, 2024, 03:04:48 PM »
I’m currently skating an AH Grant Taylor 8.75 14.62WB (same as the white Classic Eagle). Although I like the full and long nose and tail, I’m considering sizing down a bit to make my board a bit more manageable for flip tricks. I see most AH 8.5 decks have a 14.25WB which I would probably find too cramped, so I’m looking at an 8.38 with 14.5WB that our local shop has in stock (the Daan van der Linde pigeon vision, same shape as the green classic eagle). It does have a bit shorter and pointier nose and tail though.

Has anyone skated both and noticed any noteworthy differences? I’m currently skating the 8.75 with Indy Titanium 159s, which I’m planning on using on the 8.38 as well.

@Sedition can give you a thoughtful reply, i believe they sometimes mess around with the 8.75.
iirc the 8.62 and 8.38 have similar shapes, comparatively pointy in the nose and tail, compared to some of the other sizes.

the 8.38 has been around for quite a bit, for a reason.
i have one in my stack, its much larger than what i normally ride (i thought i was riding a generic generator version of this shape, but i am wrong, per usual).
the 8.38 does work with the 159s.

a larger board, for me, that still flips, is the crail
brophy shape. 8.6, i think 14.75 wb….something about that one still worked for me, and i’m a small person, with baby strength.

seabassbooster

« Reply #2636 on: Today at 05:12:39 AM »
ive been riding the misregistered antihero 8.25 14wb with 148 thunders 1/8 risers and it’s easily the best setup i’ve had i’ve never felt so good on my board until now. i was riding a trufit deck 13.88wb before this.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2637 on: Today at 01:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Sedition can give you a thoughtful reply, i believe they sometimes mess around with the 8.75.
iirc the 8.62 and 8.38 have similar shapes, comparatively pointy in the nose and tail, compared to some of the other sizes.

the 8.38 has been around for quite a bit, for a reason.
i have one in my stack, its much larger than what i normally ride (i thought i was riding a generic generator version of this shape, but i am wrong, per usual).
the 8.38 does work with the 159s.

a larger board, for me, that still flips, is the crail
brophy shape. 8.6, i think 14.75 wb….something about that one still worked for me, and i’m a small person, with baby strength.

I read that more people really enjoying the 8.38 + Indy 159 Peter Hewitt combi indeed, that also makes me want to try it :)
Even though the axle is 8.75 wide, measuring the edges of the wheels gives me just under 8.5, and that’s with both speed rings on the inside. I think the wheel to wheel width is going to be close to 8.38 with only one speedring on the inside.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
« Reply #2638 on: Today at 01:41:04 PM »
Baby Beamer coming out in fall looks way more fun than the OG. More of an egg shape, tapered, still long wheel base

edit* was this the tyshawn beamer shape?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2639 on: Today at 04:50:43 PM »
Baby Beamer coming out in fall looks way more fun than the OG. More of an egg shape, tapered, still long wheel base

edit* was this the tyshawn beamer shape?

that looks really fun tbh.
what’s the dimensions?
thunders….