Author Topic: Athens, Greece  (Read 3125 times)

ThirtyYearsYoung

Athens, Greece
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:46:56 AM »
Heading there on Friday for about a week. I'll probably spend most of my time just running around the city looking for stuff, but it'd be cool to know some popular spots or even parks (or even shops) where I might be able to meet some locals. Any tips guys?

managuense

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Re: Athens, Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
i was in athens last summer but i didnt bring a  board. the sidewalks are very cracked and rough and  also very busy. i was in athens  for over a week and didnt see one skateboard or sign of skateboarding. there were some plazas with very nice smooth ledges and this one outside a train station with a perfect mini bank/ledge, dont really know how to describe it but point is it looked very old and noone had skated it. something tells me the greeks may not approve but graffiti and break dancing was everywhere. the subway stations also had very steep but skateable transition, probably a bust though. also im not trying to scare you but heres a warning, greece is going through very troubled economic and  social problems and things are pretty bleak. i saw drug dealing out in the open (heroin), a few fights a night (most of them  looked racial) and someone even tried to run off with my backpack but  was too weak to get it off my back. dont go there expecting some happy go lucky place and if people tell you to get off your board i  would do it. but i had a great timein greece and if you are able to you should take a boat ride to a couple of the islands, very very nice.have a good trip

managuense

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »
also be prepared to eat some great food, just hope youre not one of those so called vegetarians

managuense

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
one last thing, one of the islands called mykonos had some skate potential in a very unique way. all of the buldings in the main town were basically round and had transition at the base. most were bumpy and had cracks at the bottom but some were definitely shralpable.  i would love to see footage of people skating tht shit

Human Onion

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »

The spot where lucas does switch kick back tail is infront of the parlament building in athens, i think. That's about all i know, haven't been there. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:48:18 PM by Human Onion »

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
the sidewalks are very cracked and rough and  also very busy

Yeah I was kind of worried about the general state of the pavement/sidewalks. I'm sure there are a ton of spots, but getting from place to place might be a bit rough.

I'm assuming the vid above is Athens except for the part where they take the boat, which looks rough as hell. The rest of it looks pretty good. I'd love to find that tranny around 3:03.

That huge granite thing in front of parliament Lucas does the kf tail on looks like it overlooks a busy street and if you lose your board it's pretty much guaranteed to go through someone's windshield, so I think I'll pass.

managuense

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
damn that was cool, kinda took me back there watching that. i had my eyes out for spots and skaters the whole time, like i said saw plenty of spots but no evidence of skating. i actually saw that thing at 5:23, it looked deadly in person. cant believe theres mykonos footage but they didnt skate any of the buildings at all. make sure you check out the parthenon (in the beginning on top of the hill where the wind is pushing his board) and have fun

managuense

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
also the parliament building had soldiers with mp5's everywhere, that guys had balls. and yes the street in front is like 5 busy lanes each way
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:37:37 PM by managuense »

Matthew Moon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »
i was in athens  for over a week and didnt see one skateboard or sign of skateboarding. there were some plazas with very nice smooth ledges and this one outside a train station with a perfect mini bank/ledge, dont really know how to describe it but point is it looked very old and noone had skated it.

Not trying to be arrogant/a dick, but that seems a stupid approach to it, I mean not because there's no sign of skating you should not skate something, then it turned out you didn't even bring your board with you..just saying man!
I went to fucking Santorini and skated cracked basketball courts in +100 degrees weather..not to sound like the harsh core skater OMG and whatnot, but I guess it's all about the hype..

Anyways I can agree that's not the best time to visit Greece, drug dealing and fights happens in every big city, but the whole country situation is REALLY bad.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
I was in Greece a couple summers ago, and stayed there for 2 weeks. There's an electric train/trolley system that runs through the city, which I mostly used to get around to look for skate spots. I had no idea where anything was, but I found some pretty decent spots.

This one is right downtown across from the Parliament building, if I remember correctly.

I stayed at a hotel across from the beach. Drivers are crazy there.

There is a particularly nice spot I skated that had white banks of all shapes and sizes in addition to gaps and benches. I think it was in the shopping district, even though I could not give you any legit directions. Surprisingly I have not seen that spot in any videos.

The last day I was there I met some Greek skaters at a loading dock sidewalk gap that Dylan Reider nollie flips in an Analog tour video. They were nice dudes, and appeared to be pretty good at skateboarding.

managuense

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »
Expand Quote
i was in athens  for over a week and didnt see one skateboard or sign of skateboarding. there were some plazas with very nice smooth ledges and this one outside a train station with a perfect mini bank/ledge, dont really know how to describe it but point is it looked very old and noone had skated it.
[close]

Not trying to be arrogant/a dick, but that seems a stupid approach to it, I mean not because there's no sign of skating you should not skate something, then it turned out you didn't even bring your board with you..just saying man!
I went to fucking Santorini and skated cracked basketball courts in +100 degrees weather..not to sound like the harsh core skater OMG and whatnot, but I guess it's all about the hype..

Anyways I can agree that's not the best time to visit Greece, drug dealing and fights happens in every big city, but the whole country situation is REALLY bad.
i didnt say to not skate. if i  ihad a board with me i would have skated but i was with non skaters so ididnt want to  hassle with it i skateenough at home. i was just trying to say dont get your hopes up finding locals and skateparks,  which is what he asked for. and yeah i know that shit happens everywhere, ive been all over the world but when i was in greece it seemed pretty damn lawless

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
I was in Greece a couple summers ago, and stayed there for 2 weeks.

All of those looks great, like stuff I could actually skate, not too big. Hopefully I can find some locals to ride around with, but thanks for the pics.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
Bringing this oldie back.

Will travel to Athens late march, just to skate and take pictures.
Got two questions:
any slap pals living in the capitol?
are there some cool spots within 100 km? thinking about getting a rental car for a day or two and cruise outside of Athens.

Cheers!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 01:19:36 AM »

Got two questions:
are there some cool spots within 100 km? thinking about getting a rental car for a day or two and cruise outside of Athens.

Cheers!

Though not a pal nor an Athens local may i suggest to visit a shop to meet some skaters who can take you to places to skate. The city is full of spots and I am sure you are going to have a good time. If you want, let me know and I will hook you up with some Athenian heads through facebook. Slap pal Tufty lives around my area (north Greece) but is more of the travel type so he may also have some info about what to visit in Athens.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »

Got two questions:

Cheers!

i have a gang of good friends that live in athens. i've been there two times already, and i'm looking forward to going back. athens is an amazing city to skate, and all of the locals are great guys that are always down to help show you around whether it be to skate, eat, go drink or whatever. i would suggest going to syntagma metro station and begin from there. it's an insane plaza with granite flat and ledges galore! the ledges were recently upgraded with coping to help them look a bit better, and it vastly improved them for skating. there's usually a good crew of people skating there at any given time, as mentioned earlier, really friendly dudes.

pm me if you want some contact info for my friends over there, they will definitely show you around!

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Got two questions:

Cheers!

[close]

i have a gang of good friends that live in athens. i've been there two times already, and i'm looking forward to going back. athens is an amazing city to skate, and all of the locals are great guys that are always down to help show you around whether it be to skate, eat, go drink or whatever. i would suggest going to syntagma metro station and begin from there. it's an insane plaza with granite flat and ledges galore! the ledges were recently upgraded with coping to help them look a bit better, and it vastly improved them for skating. there's usually a good crew of people skating there at any given time, as mentioned earlier, really friendly dudes.

pm me if you want some contact info for my friends over there, they will definitely show you around!

This video was amazing. Refreshing spots, good music and ripping skating. Loved the last guys part. Looks like there's quite a scene there. Hoping to make it to Greece later this year.

Seems like a thread on Greece wouldn't be complete without this:

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps