Author Topic: Cool videos on how skate stuff is made.  (Read 2213 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Cool videos on how skate stuff is made.
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
I was just wondering how the process is on making skateboarding parts (trucks, boards, wheels etc). I've seen some on decks online in the past so I decided to search how trucks and wheels were made and found these videos

HOW ARE SKATEBOARD TRUCKS MADE? * INDEPENDENT TRUCKS * -- RARE VIDEO

Alli Skate Videos - Field Trip: How Bones Wheels Are Made + Factory Tour with Jordan Hoffart

Dwindle Skateboards - Rodney Mullen
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Strike A Pose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
Re: Cool videos on how skate stuff is made.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
It would be cool 2 work in a factory that makes boards.

I wonder if they get a chance to snatch any of them?

I would just claim "defect" and toss boards to the side whenever I needed a new one.

+It would be cool to ride pro decks without graphix!

schmuckface killah

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »
I always thought it would be so sick to skate a board you made from scratch, shame you need crazy industrial presses and stuff to do it, i wonder if theres a way you could make a good quality board in just a basic workshop.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »
I always thought it would be so sick to skate a board you made from scratch, shame you need crazy industrial presses and stuff to do it, i wonder if theres a way you could make a good quality board in just a basic workshop.

just make a mould and youre good to go

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
the clip on how wheels are made was pretty cool. made me wanna go get a pair of bones now actually, ive heard nothing but good things and it seems like they have their factory game on point

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some of the pressure transducers needed to press those things stiff enough so that they have a good rigidity are really expensive and require a lot of other parts to operate correctly. Unless you have crazy strong clamps. But other than that you could totally make one in a basic workshop.

and on a side note, Rodney Mullen is the Steven Hawking of skateboarding.

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
the clip on how wheels are made was pretty cool. made me wanna go get a pair of bones now actually, ive heard nothing but good things and it seems like they have their factory game on point

get some man, theyre so good.  i use to skate spits but after a couple pair of bones STF ive changed my mind

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »

I've had a lot of sets in the past few years and they are really good. Although I have been riding Spitfires for the last year, I'd still vouch for Bones STF's.

[

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
So are those procedures Dwindle uses to standardize the deck shapes and mount placements pretty much par across the industry, or are there companies that still use the hit or miss processes?

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
bought some of the bones STF wheels today thank yall for the recommendation they're fucking good!

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
bought some of the bones STF wheels today thank yall for the recommendation they're fucking good!

powerslide's will never be the same. and you might also forget flatspots ever existed.. i think they got a guarantee on em where you just snap a photo and e-mail it to them and they will send you a new set of wheels. i know i had the bones hardcore bushings and they got fucked up (the part where the white meets the harder yellow urethane) and i e-mailed em and they sent me a new pair. also a few other SLAP PALS have had good feedback on their reimbursement for defective products.

[

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

powerslide's will never be the same. and you might also forget flatspots ever existed.. i think they got a guarantee on em where you just snap a photo and e-mail it to them and they will send you a new set of wheels. i know i had the bones hardcore bushings and they got fucked up (the part where the white meets the harder yellow urethane) and i e-mailed em and they sent me a new pair. also a few other SLAP PALS have had good feedback on their reimbursement for defective products.

hell yeah man i was just riding some blank joints i got for cheap at the shop and even tho they were alot bigger (in diameter & width) than my new bones the bones still rode through rough terrain even better. only gotta couple hours with em but im backin em, they just roll soooo good. i thought there might be a small adjustment period due going from wide 54mm wheels to super skinny 52's but after my first few pushes i was 100% used to em.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hell yeah man i was just riding some blank joints i got for cheap at the shop and even tho they were alot bigger (in diameter & width) than my new bones the bones still rode through rough terrain even better. only gotta couple hours with em but im backin em, they just roll soooo good. i thought there might be a small adjustment period due going from wide 54mm wheels to super skinny 52's but after my first few pushes i was 100% used to em.

the last STF's i had were 52mm and I rode em til they got to 50mm.. I was then given 3 sets of spitfires for free which is why i haven't had bones stf again. although the spits are really really good. but bones are truly there moneys worth.

[

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
I've never tried STFs, but spits have never done me wrong, so I have no reason to stray.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »
best wheels and bushings out there for sure, i'm skating a set of Spitfires now after having a few sets of Bones that were perfect and i'm bummed, flatspotted super quickly and it only gets worse with time, i didnt even skate them that hard because of a sprained ankle.
Also, Bones fully stand behind their product.
my roomate had a set of bushings that got fucked up, he took a picture and emailed it to them, 4 days later he got a new set in the mailbox.
considering that i live on the other side of the world from them and that it arrived so quickly after only sending them a picture and not the actual defected set, their costumer service is one of the best i've ever seen. especially in the skateboard industry.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:48 AM »
And my contribution to the thread
How It's Made Skateboards
How Its Made is the best show on TV.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »
And my contribution to the thread
How It's Made Skateboards
How Its Made is the best show on TV.

hell yes.

[

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
I'm gonna get balls deep into these videos later tonight.
@idealhandmades

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Some of the pressure transducers needed to press those things stiff enough so that they have a good rigidity are really expensive and require a lot of other parts to operate correctly. Unless you have crazy strong clamps. But other than that you could totally make one in a basic workshop.

and on a side note, Rodney Mullen is the Steven Hawking of skateboarding.

when i was in school i made a deck not using clamps but using a vacuum bag, worked nicely, deck lasted an average length of time blah blah

The teacher said that the vacuum bag including pump cost a couple of hundred pounds which is well worth it to have your favourite shape everytime.