Author Topic: A few questions, regarding cameras, focusing boards, and other nonsense.  (Read 1334 times)

anthonym

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
So, I took about a 7 year break from skateboarding due to a knee injury. Since getting my knee fixed and getting back into skating (how in the hell did I give this up for so long?!), things have changed a bit here and there.

For one, what the hell happened to Shorty's? I remember them being pretty much the hottest thing in skateboarding in the early 2000's.

Where did this term "focusing" a board come from? I had never heard that term when I was younger.

Why so much hate for footage filmed in HD? Personally I think it looks much nicer than any footage from a vx1000 or a GL2.

Also, not really a question, but more of an observation. Super surprised to see that NIKE has become so big in the skate world. It was such a joke when they tried to cash in on it back then. Though I can't really hate on them now. They have a killer team, and I really do love their shoes now. Perhaps it helps that I grew up and got past the "Fuck anything that a jock would wear" stage of my life.

R.I.P. Boardertown - Oakland, CA

trannies and mannies

Shorty's is still around but doesnt make boards anymore. I have no idea where the term "focus" came from, the first time i heard it was in an early thrasher KOTR. As for hd footage, its personal preference. Some love it, some hate it.

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
I have no problem with HD footage, to me the camera quality doesnt matter to much as long as the skating is good

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
"focusing" a board is from the days of Rubbish Heap, kinda strange you never heard that. Spike Jonze came up with the term.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
wave your dick at traffic

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
1. Shorty's quit making wood last year
2. I have no idea where focus comes from, but you should never focus a board (snap it on purpose), that's just bullshit
3. Nike is bullshit, good shoes, great team, except they're sucking the money out of skateboarding. You can count them in as one of the reasons of the not the main reason why eS shut down (oh yeah, that happened too)

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
fuck, if i had of quit skating 7 years ago and came back to it now, came back to THIS i think id kill myself, its only because ive kept skating ive been able to ignore all the hypocracy and bulllshit
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Foucising boards is one of the gayest things in skateboarding and I hate how its so glorified.
I always want to say you could have gave me or some poor kid in Uganda that board cause either one of us would appreciate the fuck out of it.
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

Wh0l3

Foucising boards is one of the gayest things in skateboarding and I hate how its so glorified.
I always want to say you could have gave me or some poor kid in Uganda that board cause either one of us would appreciate the fuck out of it.

Three cheers for consumerism!