Author Topic: I'm a security guard.  (Read 9271 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: I'm a security guard.
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
^ You live in AZ, don't you?
I don't want to talk too much about my pay, but I live quite comfortably on my teacher's salary. I'll never get rich, but money isn't something I worry about. I actually wouldn't be able to take a second job. Teaching leaves me sitting at home planning and grading a huge chunk of my time. The time is the killer if anything is. The pay thing for the most part is the fact that considering the amount of work I do, I don't get paid like the lawyers and businessmen who work similar hours. In countries like Singapore they do though.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
Whoever said "security pays as much as a teacher or cop," first of all- no, it doesn't. Not even close, and you don't get a pension or benefits from it.

That was me. LAPD starts at $46,583 and a LAUSD teacher with regular credentials ("Table T" 2010-2011) starts at $44,071. The Airport Services and Park Ranger positions I recently applied to both start at $44,436 a year and include full medical, sick leave, holiday and vacation pay, PERS, tuition reimbursement, and Dependent Care Assistance Plan. The fact that I can get full city employee benefits is the main reason I'm even applying.

I won't pretend that the high end of the pay scale is in the same league as cops or teachers (and not taking into account the days off teachers get). It's really a stepping stone to be an airport runway groundskeeper (weedpuller) who make over $60k a year.

BlueBlurSpeedsBy

• Rep: -42
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Whoever said "security pays as much as a teacher or cop," first of all- no, it doesn't. Not even close, and you don't get a pension or benefits from it. Not to mention, as much as I hate cops, they actually play a role in society and can go home with a feeling of accomplishment.
I've thought of being a professor at times, but I love the work I am doing. Of course, I don't pass my job off as "just a gig" and have never said something as stupid as "I'm not a cop wannabe, this will help me become a cop, which I wannabe!"

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Isn't admitting to being a security guard kind of just admitting to being a failure in life? I don't think i've ever heard a kid say they want to be a security guard when they grow up. I don't hate security, I pity them as the pathetic losers they are.  No real animosity, as you don't really have any authority. I find fucking with security's ego hillarious and am thankful for the opportunity to do that from my own home.

Also, did you seriously say that you hope it leads to law enforcement jobs and that you aren't a wannabe cop in the same post? Hillarious. By the way person, The Police academy leads to a job as a cop, not being a night watchman.
[close]

You learn a lot from a security job that applies to police work.  Dealing with bums and crackheads, or stuck up punks such as yourself who like to give us a hard time.  Learning 10 codes on the radio...etc.  Tons of good experience.  I'm also going to college for law and security while I work, and many close family members of mine are police officers...so eat a dick.  I'm done with this thread, I had my fun.
[close]
So security is like an "in" for cops who are too stupid to go straight to the academy? That's not actually good experience and the academy has an age limit so the more time you spend not going to police academy the less likely you will be to make it.
In terms of stuck up punks, I hope you are a security guard in LA. Security guards who are polite and know their role I comply with, security guards who think they have any authority get a storm of spit in their face as I deride them for being losers and I refuse to even stop skating.
As much as I understand how likely it is that this is a troll, I enjoy the shit out of mocking security guards. They are so cute. Now that I am an adult its even funnier. They can be intimidating to kids, but once you are taller and in better shape than them its fucking hillarious.

I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about.  No, security is not an "in" for cops who are too stupid, security can be a job for people who want to get a feel for some of the things police do.  There are plenty of things that relate to police work.  As a security guard, you learn to deal with the public in a professional manner, you learn 10 codes on the radio, you learn how to write in your memo book (there is a certain way you are supposed to write) , write occurrence reports...etc.  Plus, I am in school right now, and this job allows me to work on the weekends.  I've worked banks, offices, hotels...it teaches you how to remain calm and professional when you have some drunk asshole screaming at you and not being cooperative.  This is all invaluable experience.  Also, you obviously know nothing about the hiring process for police, because the older you are, the better it is.  It's called general life experience.  If you're under 25 and apply, your chances are slim, because you are still too young to handle the pressures of the job.  You don't need to act like you know, because I know, and I'm telling you how it is.

Lastly, you wouldn't guess it, but I am very polite when I work security, because I understand the law, and I understand I have no authority.   Security are the eyes and ears...that's it.  If anything goes down, we call the cops.  In some ways we do have authority though, as many guards that i work with carry handcuffs.  We can arrest someone under 494 of the criminal code, as a citizen if they are caught doing something indictable on the property.  Skateboarding doesn't count.  Don't forget that most of us are unarmed, and that can make the job very dangerous at times.  There are plenty of people who love to take the piss out of you because they hate law enforcement of any kind, and they know security can't do shit, so they take out there hate for cops on you...working at banks late at night is sketchy as fuck, especially with some of the people who come in to use the ATM's late at night.  

Whoever thinks security gets payed as much as cops is a fucking person.  Security guards make anywhere from minimum wage to 20 bucks an hour, depending on if you are just a patrol guard, or if you're mobile patrol and respond to alarms in a car.  Also, whoever said you don't get benefits from it is a fucking person as well!  You get full benefits as a full time employee.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:35:44 PM by BlueBlurSpeedsBy »