Author Topic: Alex Olson on Nike?  (Read 24450 times)

GershonSweaty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
Re: Alex Olson on Nike?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i love when anyone says a mediocre skater sucks and the 1st 14 year old that see's replys with " you must like prod or nuggget lolololol" get the fuck outta here.
[close]

A better question might be, who is above mediocre ? If Alex Olson is mediocre that is. I thought that part was rad considering he was Am and it was his first part.
[close]

This has nothing to do with anything. I don't care how you feel about Olson, if you're using a shitty qualifier like this, then you're doing it wrong. If you're going to have a part in a video with pro skaters, a skater should and will be judged by the same standards as everyone else in the video, notwithstanding injuries.

It is possible this was a weak argument, the idea that something is good but " he was injured/was just an am/ just got on had 2 weeks to film blah. Blah. Blah" is ridiculous. But by you're admission everyone given a part in a video is open to critique against anyone else in that video. Surely that hypothesis creates null arguments when comparing someone who has skated for 20 years against he who has skated for 5.  In short (and as an example) comparing Yaje Popson against  say Guy Mariano is possible but isn't necessary or going to produce any real topic for discussion.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i love when anyone says a mediocre skater sucks and the 1st 14 year old that see's replys with " you must like prod or nuggget lolololol" get the fuck outta here.
[close]

A better question might be, who is above mediocre ? If Alex Olson is mediocre that is. I thought that part was rad considering he was Am and it was his first part.
[close]

This has nothing to do with anything. I don't care how you feel about Olson, if you're using a shitty qualifier like this, then you're doing it wrong. If you're going to have a part in a video with pro skaters, a skater should and will be judged by the same standards as everyone else in the video, notwithstanding injuries.

his fully flared part is mediocre but he's become a way better skater since that part.

anyways

p.rod > olson

Phil

• Rep: -48
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
you must like P-rod.
[close]

i mean he's a good skater and a nice guy, but i don't like him

Seinfeld reference number two in this thread. YES!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It is possible this was a weak argument, the idea that something is good but " he was injured/was just an am/ just got on had 2 weeks to film blah. Blah. Blah" is ridiculous. But by you're admission everyone given a part in a video is open to critique against anyone else in that video. Surely that hypothesis creates null arguments when comparing someone who has skated for 20 years against he who has skated for 5.� In short (and as an example) comparing Yaje Popson against� say Guy Mariano is possible but isn't necessary or going to produce any real topic for discussion.

Let's continue to use Guy Mariano for an example. All of his parts from the beginning have been excellent by anyone's standards. Nobody ever said, "That Guy Mariano kid's really good for his age", or, "That was only Guy Mariano's first part so I understand why it wasn't as good as the other parts in the video". Nobody ever said that (or at least nobody with any sense said that) about Hawk, Way, P-Rod, Nyjah, Sheckler, or a large amount of others and that's the way it should be. This is one of the reason why Flip got so much shit. They put kids on their team that could be good in the future instead of putting kids on the team that were setting standards from the moment they got put on. To be sure, lots of companies have prematurely put kids on their team and banked on them becoming something special before they were anything special. That doesn't mean I should keep that in mind when I'm watching their video parts. Don't get me wrong, if you feel like Alex Olson brought something special to the table then by all means that part was good enough, but the moment you start talking about how it was okay considering it was his first part is the same moment I disregard that opinion. Unless injury or something else that effectively stops a skater from filming, how many video parts, whether he's am or pro, or what he had for breakfast, will not dictate the quality of a part for me.

And yes, I'm going to hold Yaje Popson to a higher standard when he puts out a major video part than when he was just putting out clips with his friends.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -4
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It is possible this was a weak argument, the idea that something is good but " he was injured/was just an am/ just got on had 2 weeks to film blah. Blah. Blah" is ridiculous. But by you're admission everyone given a part in a video is open to critique against anyone else in that video. Surely that hypothesis creates null arguments when comparing someone who has skated for 20 years against he who has skated for 5.� In short (and as an example) comparing Yaje Popson against� say Guy Mariano is possible but isn't necessary or going to produce any real topic for discussion.
[close]

Let's continue to use Guy Mariano for an example. All of his parts from the beginning have been excellent by anyone's standards. Nobody ever said, "That Guy Mariano kid's really good for his age", or, "That was only Guy Mariano's first part so I understand why it wasn't as good as the other parts in the video". Nobody ever said that (or at least nobody with any sense said that) about Hawk, Way, P-Rod, Nyjah, Sheckler, or a large amount of others and that's the way it should be. This is one of the reason why Flip got so much shit. They put kids on their team that could be good in the future instead of putting kids on the team that were setting standards from the moment they got put on. To be sure, lots of companies have prematurely put kids on their team and banked on them becoming something special before they were anything special. That doesn't mean I should keep that in mind when I'm watching their video parts. Don't get me wrong, if you feel like Alex Olson brought something special to the table then by all means that part was good enough, but the moment you start talking about how it was okay considering it was his first part is the same moment I disregard that opinion. Unless injury or something else that effectively stops a skater from filming, how many video parts, whether he's am or pro, or what he had for breakfast, will not dictate the quality of a part for me.

And yes, I'm going to hold Yaje Popson to a higher standard when he puts out a major video part than when he was just putting out clips with his friends.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just a little confused. I mean I totally agree with and get what you say about Flip. Do you think most am's are not worthy of their positions ? And how do you feel about quick turn around pros I.E Ishod Wair.
I do however think that it's unfair you've decided to compare like that, once again as an example Olson definitely looks up to Carroll. Without those few greats we wouldn't have the skaters we do now furthermore we could go into style over substance. Olson and MikeMo both went pro together both for their own merits I love watching them both and yes MikeMo did change the standard in fully flared but Olson produced a part that personally makes. Me want to skate.

Another question might be who would be on you're fictious team? Who would be good enough to be Am ? Beyond that Pro?

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you're an idiot. there is a reason that pro's and ams are ranked differently. it's because pro's have been doing it longer and have matured as skaters. am's have less pay and more to prove strictly because they haven't proven their worth via multiple trips/parts/ads/etc. according to your logic, there should be no difference between the presentation of a pro or an am in the same video? so i guess just roll the dice to see who gets last part right? FOH with that bullshit. if you're an am and it's your first part, i'd be doing you an extreme disservice by saying, "your part was only mediocre because...well...did you see carrolls part? did you see MJ's ender? yeah, no bigs." see how stupid that looks? right, that's your whole argument in a single quote. stoops.

**also, some dudes just come in as power ams and are maybe as good trickwise as current pro's, but... take luan for example. i think anyone who has seen him skate for the last 5 yrs or so has seen his style mature into a beastly thing while his tricks were already ridiculous when he came on the radar. there's a reason.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 05:56:38 AM »
for me it's a question of either enjoying the footage or not enjoying it... and of course a part of that is you thinking, "there's no fucking way I could do that shit."

victor333

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »
for me it's a question of either enjoying the footage or not enjoying it... and of course a part of that is you thinking, "there's no fucking way I could do that shit."

This.

Half of the time I don't even know who has just gone pro, who's been pro, or who's retiring...I'm exaggerating for sure, but you get my point, no?

I don't really hold anyone to a standard per se, maybe themselves. I guess I only want to see that a person is progressing, doing new tricks, and not just doing the same stuff they did in their last part. And as long as it gets me hyped to skate, what more could I ask for?

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Expand Quote
New issue of the Skateboard mag confirms malto and Olson's transition to Nike SB, haha
[close]

Skate photo > Lifestyle shot

If Alex Olsen isn't gay he's passing up a good chance...

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
someone earlier said something about 'Grace'
Alex Olson with a warm up session at the Venice park.
ableSkateMag.com

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

Half of the time I don't even know who has just gone pro, who's been pro, or who's retiring...I'm exaggerating for sure, but you get my point, no?

I don't really hold anyone to a standard per se, maybe themselves. I guess I only want to see that a person is progressing, doing new tricks, and not just doing the same stuff they did in their last part. And as long as it gets me hyped to skate, what more could I ask for?

exactly. skating is as self referential as it gets. though you might compare different tricks and other shit for the sake of nerding out, the fact remains that what we love to see is someone/anyone ripping and getting better at ripping. and that makes us want to rip and get better. period. to say that one skaters part was worse because it wasn't up to the standards of the others in the vid is just stoops. skateboarding and standards don't even mix on a conceptual level.

k

life support

• Rep: 6
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
That ad is for nike apparel, not for nike sb the shoe part.
just saying.
blah

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you're an idiot. there is a reason that pro's and ams are ranked differently. it's because pro's have been doing it longer and have matured as skaters. am's have less pay and more to prove strictly because they haven't proven their worth via multiple trips/parts/ads/etc. according to your logic, there should be no difference between the presentation of a pro or an am in the same video? so i guess just roll the dice to see who gets last part right? FOH with that bullshit. if you're an am and it's your first part, i'd be doing you an extreme disservice by saying, "your part was only mediocre because...well...did you see carrolls part? did you see MJ's ender? yeah, no bigs." see how stupid that looks? right, that's your whole argument in a single quote. stoops.

**also, some dudes just come in as power ams and are maybe as good trickwise as current pro's, but... take luan for example. i think anyone who has seen him skate for the last 5 yrs or so has seen his style mature into a beastly thing while his tricks were already ridiculous when he came on the radar. there's a reason.

k

Being pro doesn't work that way no matter how much you want it to. Let's not forget that Crockett and Johnson just went pro after years of us bitching about it and that Dennis Durrant is still am. And then there are plenty of people like Tom Asta who went pro after a fucking nanosecond of being in the conscious of the skateboard world at large. The line of what makes someone am or pro is more blurred than ever before in every aspect. You are lying if you say otherwise. If you think you've discredited my argument in one sentence, you clearly didn't understand it in the first place.

Let me make this as clear as possible. How I feel about a part is derived on a highly individual basis and I thought I made that clear with this, "...if you feel like Alex Olson brought something special to the table then by all means that part was good...", but apparently you missed that. My whole spiel was about how lowered expectations are bullshit. If you're on a major skateboard company then I expect for your skating to be on par. What constitutes being on par is up for debate, but whether I give a damn how many parts you have, is not.

You and I usually agree on things, but I have to tell you, leaving a k at the end every one of your post is the lamest thing any poster has ever done.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
this dude ollied a bench the long way style and power end of story

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

/argument

This pretty motherfucker can coast by for the rest of his days as far as I'm concerned.

wigs

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

/argument

This pretty motherfucker can coast by for the rest of his days as far as I'm concerned.

haha, literally "bringing something new to the table". alex is dope as fuck, beyond his skating he genuinely seems like a cool dude.

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »
daewon is my favorite skater.

and alex olson is dope.

apad88

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »
you forgot the rest.    ;D

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
Official, http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog/_/post/7722858/alex-olson-joins-nike-sb-team

AHAHA:

"Your first Nike ad... did you stick that first try? Or was that a couple tries?
No, that was first try.

Really?
Yeah.

Whoa. That's gnarly.
Haha. Yeah, it was no problem. "

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

superslopp

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
alex.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
The world needs a Dylan. and Alex. sex tape, not some stiff, crying, "first try" yelling boys

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:43 AM »
he's kind of a natural.   

girl and nike, not really trying. 

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

k
[close]

Being pro doesn't work that way no matter how much you want it to. Let's not forget that Crockett and Johnson just went pro after years of us bitching about it and that Dennis Durrant is still am. And then there are plenty of people like Tom Asta who went pro after a fucking nanosecond of being in the conscious of the skateboard world at large. The line of what makes someone am or pro is more blurred than ever before in every aspect. You are lying if you say otherwise. If you think you've discredited my argument in one sentence, you clearly didn't understand it in the first place.

Let me make this as clear as possible. How I feel about a part is derived on a highly individual basis and I thought I made that clear with this, "...if you feel like Alex Olson brought something special to the table then by all means that part was good...", but apparently you missed that. My whole spiel was about how lowered expectations are bullshit. If you're on a major skateboard company then I expect for your skating to be on par. What constitutes being on par is up for debate, but whether I give a damn how many parts you have, is not.

You and I usually agree on things, but I have to tell you, leaving a k at the end every one of your post is the lamest thing any poster has ever done.

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. i just spent 5 days killing tampa with my friends because skateboarding rules and if you keep quibbling about nothing, you'll never know the realness. take a break, or some acid and GO GET RAD!!!!!!!!

k