Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 20139 times)

TomTom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Kony 2012
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
This is fucking gnarly.
Sit back watch, join.
KONY 2012

Harem

Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »
This is everywhere!

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »
It has to be!

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020

jim

• Rep: -23
  • Guess that's why they call it window pane
Does it hurt when you skate?
If no: Go skate
If yes: Go skate

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
I posted something on my tumblr about this and questions of how activism and accomplishment have changed due to the internet (shameless self promotion). The main gist of it is asking if merely posting something on your tumblr/Twitter/Facebook/SLAP Forums is enough and will actually result in some positive outcome. Or have people merely taken this as an opportunity to feel like they care and are doing something while actually doing very little of substance?

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
I posted something on my tumblr about this and questions of how activism and accomplishment have changed due to the internet (shameless self promotion). The main gist of it is asking if merely posting something on your tumblr/Twitter/Facebook/SLAP Forums is enough and will actually result in some positive outcome. Or have people merely taken this as an opportunity to feel like they care and are doing something while actually doing very little of substance?

This is how I see it. Seems to be the issue of the week. While I agree things like this should be noticed and people should try to help, posting "~STOP KONY 2012~" to facebook every hour is not doing anything and when they realize they haven't actually done anything to help the fight, they will forget about it.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
slacktivism at its finest
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
People should at least be trying, I mean, media hasn't really done shit about notifying the public about this, as it's a quite unknown subject. The general public should be passing it around, and if it gets enough hype on twitter/tumblr/etc, maybe the mainstream media channels will pick it up as well. Especially with all the celebrity endorsements (they're finally doing something useful).

I will be joining the April 20th night time movements.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
Remember this guys:

Kony will not end up in some trail in Haag or some shit. He will be downright killed, raped and chopped to pieces. In that order.
If you think that is fair for a man like Kony, go ahead and share it. If not, don't. This is probably the first case of a social media muder, and yet so many hippies and leftwings just love this stuff...

DaCaprio had a good line in Blood Diamond: "TIA".

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
I totally agree about Americans really deep down not caring, although theyll pledge support. I mean if this guy hadnt gone over there and witnessed this happening firsthand, do you really think he wouldve started this thing? Godbless him for starting it, but I think Americans are just downright spoiled as far as viewing issues around the world and putting them into perspective.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
Funny. Just a few days ago I watched Invisible Children .

Invisible Children

After watching it I looked up more info on the film and filmmakers. One of the first links I followed had this posted in its comments section,

First of all as a person from Northern Uganda, I would like to thank you, the Martin County Children for your effort to assist the children of Northern Uganda.
How ever i am also sad to say that Organisation like 'Invisible children' have turned from caring organisations to Fraudulent and scam. The directors of Invisible children forgot what they stated back in 2005 and have now turned to greed. Only less than 25% of money they have been raising in the name of the children of Northern Uganda gets there to the children.
The directors of Invisible children have turned this money to become their very personal money. The directors now drive expensive cars and refer to themselves as Movie directors. They have been shunned by all international Northern Uganda associations in Canda, UK, Sweden and even in Sandiego USA.
Associations such as "acholi in diaspora"(canada) Acholi association(UK) Freinds for Peace in africa(USA). Peace in Northern Uganda group(Sweden). "Campaign to end genocide in Northern Uganada)(USA) and many more.
"invisible children' functions are boycotted by many ugandans who are aware that they recieved bribes from General Salim Saleh to focus the suffering of the Northern Uganda Children to the Rebels...rather than tell the whole truth that both the rebels and Uganda government ave comitted atrocities and Genocide againts the acholi people of Northern Uganda..
Northern Uganda members of parliament have added 'invisible children' to their list Of NGO's under investigation for fraud.
They have been requested to publicly declare their accounts since 2005 however untill today that has not been done.
Your contributions are better off being sent directly to the children in Northern Uganda rather than to enrich the directors of 'invisible children'
However we leave it to God to be the judge. Thank you and God bless all of you

There's more to the discussion here, http://www.topix.com/forum/city/stuart-fl/TQJSGHMES035Q6OI0

Also, I wonder if they're aware that this image they came up with happens to contain the same symbol that is widely used by Neo Nazi's and white supremacists...

Resistance Records of the bands "Angry Aryans", "Nordic Thunder", "Blue Eyed Devils" and others. Someone actually started a thread about them here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:08:30 PM by David »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
I totally agree about Americans really deep down not caring, although theyll pledge support. I mean if this guy hadnt gone over there and witnessed this happening firsthand, do you really think he wouldve started this thing? Godbless him for starting it, but I think Americans are just downright spoiled as far as viewing issues around the world and putting them into perspective.

What is god's holy name are you blathering about?

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »
Funny. Just a few days ago I watched Invisible Children .

Invisible Children

After watching it I looked up more info on the film and filmmakers. One of the first links I followed had this posted in its comments section,

First of all as a person from Northern Uganda, I would like to thank you, the Martin County Children for your effort to assist the children of Northern Uganda.
How ever i am also sad to say that Organisation like 'Invisible children' have turned from caring organisations to Fraudulent and scam. The directors of Invisible children forgot what they stated back in 2005 and have now turned to greed. Only less than 25% of money they have been raising in the name of the children of Northern Uganda gets there to the children.
The directors of Invisible children have turned this money to become their very personal money. The directors now drive expensive cars and refer to themselves as Movie directors. They have been shunned by all international Northern Uganda associations in Canda, UK, Sweden and even in Sandiego USA.
Associations such as "acholi in diaspora"(canada) Acholi association(UK) Freinds for Peace in africa(USA). Peace in Northern Uganda group(Sweden). "Campaign to end genocide in Northern Uganada)(USA) and many more.
"invisible children' functions are boycotted by many ugandans who are aware that they recieved bribes from General Salim Saleh to focus the suffering of the Northern Uganda Children to the Rebels...rather than tell the whole truth that both the rebels and Uganda government ave comitted atrocities and Genocide againts the acholi people of Northern Uganda..
Northern Uganda members of parliament have added 'invisible children' to their list Of NGO's under investigation for fraud.
They have been requested to publicly declare their accounts since 2005 however untill today that has not been done.
Your contributions are better off being sent directly to the children in Northern Uganda rather than to enrich the directors of 'invisible children'
However we leave it to God to be the judge. Thank you and God bless all of you

There's more to the discussion here, http://www.topix.com/forum/city/stuart-fl/TQJSGHMES035Q6OI0

Also, I wonder if they're aware that this image they came up with is also the same symbol that's widely used by Neo Nazi's and white supremacists...

Resistance Records of "Angry Aryans", "Nordic Thunder", "Blue Eyed Devils" and others. Someone actually started a thread about them here.

Yes, this is why I choose not to take part in any of this.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »
Remember this guys:

Kony will not end up in some trail in Haag or some shit. He will be downright killed, raped and chopped to pieces. In that order.
If you think that is fair for a man like Kony, go ahead and share it. If not, don't. This is probably the first case of a social media muder, and yet so many hippies and leftwings just love this stuff...

Even if that is what would happen to him, which is a big assumption, it's still morally justified in my view given the number of people that Kony and his organization have already killed, raped and chopped to pieces, and will do in the future. This video is definitely a pompous celebration of western slacktivism and "the power of the web", whatever that is, and the directors seem to be dishonest dickheads. The main point, however, is to jolt people out of this bullshit attitude of "oh whatever, shit is fucked up and bullshit, it's Africa man, even if you try to do something about it you're just a gay faggot hippie."

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What is god's holy name are you blathering about?

I mean were spoiled when it comes to being safe and take for granted the safety in which we live, for the most part. And i think it takes a firsthand experience or something close to it to make us realize what some other less fortunate people have to live with. I mean what 8-10 year old kids in America have to worry about being snatched up in the middle of the night and maybe slaughtered or turned into a sex slave or whatever.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
Hell yeah it's justifiable. But I have no problem with admitting that I feel that way, yet I do believe that a ton of people who share the video, do. I found this quote on another forum:
This is just some bandwagon bullshit that will be forgotten when the next episode of American Idol pops up. Funny how these same people pimping KONY2012 on facebook were the same ones bitching and moaning about American Imperialism when news of these combat advisors going Uganda cropped up in the first place.

I just feel that it's important to be realistic enough regarding what will happen. A trail isn't that, even though it would be the best end-state.

Harem

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
I used to run my local chapter of Amnesty International and we were barred from showing "Invisible Children" for a slew of reasons including their afformentioned financial issues and not "telling the whole story" in the documentary. Additionally, there were allegations that they doctored scenes within the film, which seemed to be AI's biggest concern.

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Remember this guys:

[close]

Even if that is what would happen to him, which is a big assumption, it's still morally justified in my view given the number of people that Kony and his organization have already killed, raped and chopped to pieces, and will do in the future. This video is definitely a pompous celebration of western slacktivism and "the power of the web", whatever that is, and the directors seem to be dishonest dickheads. The main point, however, is to jolt people out of this bullshit attitude of "oh whatever, shit is fucked up and bullshit, it's Africa man, even if you try to do something about it you're just a gay faggot hippie."

But what is it doing? Read Harem's link and tell me what posting shit on Facebook/tumblr/Twitter will actually do that hasn't been done already? INTERPOL and AFRICOM are actively looking for Kony already and numerous countries have taken steps to go against him. Plus, people are trying to support the Uganda army which kidnaps, murders, and rapes people much like the LRA except they are seen as a legitimate government entity. So what is putting it up on some social media site actually doing to help these people or stop this particular fringe group (versus all of the other ones in Africa)? Especially because most people are not actively petitioning their representatives/government. And that's ignoring the fact that those governments are already doing things to stop Kony. So to me, all this seems like a way for most people to feel compassionate and worldly without actually expending to much effort to do something about it..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:23:56 PM by oyolar »

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
These filmmakers are the worst.  Some dude used charity money to make a movie about himself and his son and about how he's going to save the world.

FART BOY

• Rep: 10
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »
Good job society, looks like you just started spreading the word on what's been happening there for the last couple of decades.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
I heard about the LRA when Obama sent troops there....I think the negative press invisible children is getting may be a bit overblown.  That said, I'm not a fan of the filmmaker or his salary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/invisible-childrens-stop-kony-campaign/2012/03/07/gIQA7B31wR_blog.html?wprss=blogpost
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:43:30 PM by chockfullofthat »

filter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
not caring > slacktivism

Reggie Nobles

• Rep: 84
  • oh no
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
Coney?

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »
i bought the action kit. as for criticism of invisible children, read this before you decide you're justified in being too lazy or too concerned with how it'll reflect on you if you support the movement without being actively involved. raising awareness via social networking may not be admirable, but it's better than nothing. imagine if everyone had the mindset of "oh, well posting it on the internet is probably not going to do anything so i might as well do nothing." if that were the case, you wouldn't even have seen the fucking video. it's not like this is a new cause, this is like invisible children's 11th film on it. it's just that they never had this much support to where it was able to dominate social media. and then here come the rainclouds to let everyone know that they probably aren't doing anything by spreading the word.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html
and yeah, they may actually be the shady organization they're made out to be. if that's the case, i still won't regret my decision to support the cause of stopping joseph kony. and you can still support the cause without supporting invisible children. if you just don't give a fuck, that's on you.