Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 20152 times)

weedpop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Remember this guys:

Kony will not end up in some trail in Haag or some shit. He will be downright killed, raped and chopped to pieces. In that order.
If you think that is fair for a man like Kony, go ahead and share it. If not, don't. This is probably the first case of a social media muder, and yet so many hippies and leftwings just love this stuff...

DaCaprio had a good line in Blood Diamond: "TIA".
[close]

Even if that is what would happen to him, which is a big assumption, it's still morally justified in my view given the number of people that Kony and his organization have already killed, raped and chopped to pieces, and will do in the future. This video is definitely a pompous celebration of western slacktivism and "the power of the web", whatever that is, and the directors seem to be dishonest dickheads. The main point, however, is to jolt people out of this bullshit attitude of "oh whatever, shit is fucked up and bullshit, it's Africa man, even if you try to do something about it you're just a gay faggot hippie."

[close]

But what is it doing? Read Harem's link and tell me what posting shit on Facebook/tumblr/Twitter will actually do that hasn't been done already? INTERPOL and AFRICOM are actively looking for Kony already and numerous countries have taken steps to go against him. Plus, people are trying to support the Uganda army which kidnaps, murders, and rapes people much like the LRA except they are seen as a legitimate government entity. So what is putting it up on some social media site actually doing to help these people or stop this particular fringe group (versus all of the other ones in Africa)? Especially because most people are not actively petitioning their representatives/government. And that's ignoring the fact that those governments are already doing things to stop Kony. So to me, all this seems like a way for most people to feel compassionate and worldly without actually expending to much effort to do something about it..

Ya I never said I believed that social networking could actually help root out jungle-dwelling African paramilitary groups. Even donating to the government isn't going to help much because, as you said, governments in war-torn African countries are often just better equipped paramilitary groups with greater international recognition. I just get annoyed by the subtext of all these comments about how "pointless" it all is, which is basically that, because people's responses to it are so superficial, the issue at hand actually doesn't matter or isn't worth worrying or caring about. As far as I'm concerned, more awareness of these issues can only serve to build political will to maybe get western governments to do something to help, maybe.

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
I'm glad that awareness is being raised, but I would much rather donate to a group of former SEALS or Israeli military guys who have become mercenaries who would gladly kill this guy for a few million dollars.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »
Apparently the U.S. has sent in it's special African commando team in multiple times to try to kill him. It only led to more violence and child abducting antics from Kony.

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »
I'm glad that awareness is being raised, but I would much rather donate to a group of former SEALS or Israeli military guys who have become mercenaries who would gladly kill this guy for a few million dollars.

yeah and a bunch of his lieutenants
That would be great, but I guess that's not gonna happen, plus then noone would know about it.
I don't care if IC is shady, they raise awareness, and if some people will forget, then thats sad, but a lot will remember.

ed...

• Rep: 57
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 04:37:04 AM »
http://aconerlycoleman.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/why-invisible-childs-kony2012-campaign-gets-no-applause-from-me/

http://innovateafrica.tumblr.com/post/18897981642/you-dont-have-my-vote

If you want to help, rather than buying an action pack from IC donate to one of the local charities in the area (there are links in the articles posted above). Support local organisations which don't simplify the problem to one "bad guy" who can only be stopped by white, middle-class college students in the US, and which don't support military intervention.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:02 AM »
i bought the action kit. as for criticism of invisible children, read this before you decide you're justified in being too lazy or too concerned with how it'll reflect on you if you support the movement without being actively involved. raising awareness via social networking may not be admirable, but it's better than nothing. imagine if everyone had the mindset of "oh, well posting it on the internet is probably not going to do anything so i might as well do nothing." if that were the case, you wouldn't even have seen the fucking video. it's not like this is a new cause, this is like invisible children's 11th film on it. it's just that they never had this much support to where it was able to dominate social media. and then here come the rainclouds to let everyone know that they probably aren't doing anything by spreading the word.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html
and yeah, they may actually be the shady organization they're made out to be. if that's the case, i still won't regret my decision to support the cause of stopping joseph kony. and you can still support the cause without supporting invisible children. if you just don't give a fuck, that's on you.

i'm really glad i wasn't born with your brain

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:45 AM »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15:24 AM »
General Butt Naked.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That would be great, but I guess that's not gonna happen, plus then noone would know about it.
I don't care if IC is shady, they raise awareness, and if some people will forget, then thats sad, but a lot will remember.

clearly you guys haven't heard about the deep internet.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
do people actually think that he's the only person in africa doing this kind of stuff? as if killing this guy is going to change africa over night?

"So, Peter Pan can gather a child army and that's fine. But when a black man does it..."
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »
i bought the action kit. as for criticism of invisible children, read this before you decide you're justified in being too lazy or too concerned with how it'll reflect on you if you support the movement without being actively involved. raising awareness via social networking may not be admirable, but it's better than nothing. imagine if everyone had the mindset of "oh, well posting it on the internet is probably not going to do anything so i might as well do nothing." if that were the case, you wouldn't even have seen the fucking video. it's not like this is a new cause, this is like invisible children's 11th film on it. it's just that they never had this much support to where it was able to dominate social media. and then here come the rainclouds to let everyone know that they probably aren't doing anything by spreading the word.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html
and yeah, they may actually be the shady organization they're made out to be. if that's the case, i still won't regret my decision to support the cause of stopping joseph kony. and you can still support the cause without supporting invisible children. if you just don't give a fuck, that's on you.

now that your "awareness" has been raised by giving these hucksters your money would you mind pointing out where uganda is on this map?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »

Don't have much to say aside from that the "white man's burden" has often been used as a purpose for imperialism, which likely is the original cause of the instability that allowed this guy to rise to power....and is that a fucking supreme hat?

I supported this at first because I thought the guy was on the lam and this was an attempt to make sure he couldn't hide in plain sight, now that I realize what it s I think its kinda dumb.
Though in fairness, the red cross only gave something like 10-20% of donations to the haiti relief effort to Haitians.
Its stupid to hate on people who support the campaign, better to just talk it through and encourage them to be empathetic human beings, but to do it with better projects.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
I was close...I picked Rwanda from the map.

do people actually think that he's the only person in africa doing this kind of stuff? as if killing this guy is going to change africa over night?

"So, Peter Pan can gather a child army and that's fine. But when a black man does it..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its stupid to hate on people who support the campaign, better to just talk it through and encourage them to be empathetic human beings, but to do it with better projects.

This.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:41:11 AM by chockfullofthat »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »
people need to realize kony's been in the news for a long time now. just not in a flashy youtube video, playing heavy on your emotions. there's a lot of bad shit like that going on in the world, read more news (tmz is not news).

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhEk16p80re9j8X31h

is it possible the government is just player hating?
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:53 AM »

Fuck armchair activists

FART BOY

• Rep: 10
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
^Hahaha.. Golden!

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

clearly you guys haven't heard about the deep internet.

Just give black water your money

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Fuck the gathering, let's send jimi in to uganda
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
Fuck the gathering, let's send jimi in to uganda

My vote goes with ice nine.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Hey, don't you dare start shifting our focus. Our priority here is Juggalos. We need Jimi to record and report on important shit, not this.

Karlos

• Rep: -3
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
"i've been to mexico,canada and the other states "

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »
"i've been to mexico,canada and the other states "

Haha I heard that too.

They have a pretty decent rebuttal to the haters:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 140

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »

Shmeatus

• Rep: 3
  • Knock ya face off the side of ya face
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »
since Kony is actually a thang to talk about now i gotta say this.

why do we not give a fuck about all the other hundreds of independent militarized groups in central africa?

Where do you think these groups get weapons from?

where do you think they get money to get weapons?

its a global economic system where the US and Europe trade 1 weapons and 2 shit we dont want to independent military groups in exchange for resources which we use to make junk which we dont want.

we can stop KONY and every single madman with a gun in africa if we stop making bullets and start building infrastructure

the aid industry and the american government will never tell us this because it is directly against their immediate interest

which is to continue to sell guns and give aid to support the economic system so that we can make playstations and laptops

in reality aid groups do not give aid.

the militarized groups steal from the people and destroy their livelyhood
this makes them dependant on aid for food etc. they then are either forced to gather resources by military groups or they do so out of desperation

the aid industry is a distraction so that we dont feel bad about not doing what needs to be done.

the military groups are the same as when colonialism "ended"

nothing has changed, africa is still ruled and exploited by whites.

aid is just a part of the system of exploitation and will never fix anything for that very reason
have money have heart

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting. I'm sure 90% of the supporters don't really know what percentage of donation money is used on aid.
(reddit link)
http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueReddit/comments/qkxvm/kony_2012/c3yfvii