Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 20138 times)

Gomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
Expand Quote
i bought the action kit. as for criticism of invisible children, read this before you decide you're justified in being too lazy or too concerned with how it'll reflect on you if you support the movement without being actively involved. raising awareness via social networking may not be admirable, but it's better than nothing. imagine if everyone had the mindset of "oh, well posting it on the internet is probably not going to do anything so i might as well do nothing." if that were the case, you wouldn't even have seen the fucking video. it's not like this is a new cause, this is like invisible children's 11th film on it. it's just that they never had this much support to where it was able to dominate social media. and then here come the rainclouds to let everyone know that they probably aren't doing anything by spreading the word.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html
and yeah, they may actually be the shady organization they're made out to be. if that's the case, i still won't regret my decision to support the cause of stopping joseph kony. and you can still support the cause without supporting invisible children. if you just don't give a fuck, that's on you.
[close]

now that your "awareness" has been raised by giving these hucksters your money would you mind pointing out where uganda is on this map?

haha man, you're genuinely regular for thinking you got me with that one. did you think that because i can afford to donate $30 that i have the money to pilot my own airplane to uganda to help out there? i can't think of any other reason why my geography skills would be called into question. i can't care about a tragedy without knowing the exact place when knowing where it takes place will do absolutely nothing to help the cause?

sorry for not subscribing to the nirvana fallacy homies. i understand not supporting invisible children, but i would bet my life that the majority, if not all, of you who are hating on invisible children haven't donated a cent to the organizations that give their donations directly to relief in stopping the lra. so if you don't care enough to try to help anyway, why the fuck would you feel the need to offer your two cents? i should've expected this from a site filled with people commenting on skating from a computer more than they actually skate. not gonna lie though, on impulse i bought the kit, and i definitely regret not doing the research because i would've preferred to have supported an organization that provided more direct relief. but still, having already bought it, i don't feel like i wasted my money.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
haha man, you're genuinely regular for thinking you got me with that one. did you think that because i can afford to donate $30 that i have the money to pilot my own airplane to uganda to help out there? i can't think of any other reason why my geography skills would be called into question. i can't care about a tragedy without knowing the exact place when knowing where it takes place will do absolutely nothing to help the cause?

sorry for not subscribing to the nirvana fallacy homies. i understand not supporting invisible children, but i would bet my life that the majority, if not all, of you who are hating on invisible children haven't donated a cent to the organizations that give their donations directly to relief in stopping the lra. so if you don't care enough to try to help anyway, why the fuck would you feel the need to offer your two cents? i should've expected this from a site filled with people commenting on skating from a computer more than they actually skate. not gonna lie though, on impulse i bought the kit, and i definitely regret not doing the research because i would've preferred to have supported an organization that provided more direct relief. but still, having already bought it, i don't feel like i wasted my money.

dude i just saw on facebook about this nigerian prince who needs OUR help to transfer some frozen funds. of course i gave him $30 because nigeria is super fucked up and sad. some people think americans are privileged retards who would rather blindly give a donation for the smug sense of pride it gives us (and hey a tshirt!) than actually learn about a distant conflict, or even research just a little bit where the fuck our money goes. boy, did i prove them wrong. so what if i can't find nigeria on a map? are you saying i don't actually care about africa? #NIGERIANGUY2012

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
since Kony is actually a thang to talk about now i gotta say this.

why do we not give a fuck about all the other hundreds of independent militarized groups in central africa?

Where do you think these groups get weapons from?

where do you think they get money to get weapons?

its a global economic system where the US and Europe trade 1 weapons and 2 shit we dont want to independent military groups in exchange for resources which we use to make junk which we dont want.

we can stop KONY and every single madman with a gun in africa if we stop making bullets and start building infrastructure

the aid industry and the american government will never tell us this because it is directly against their immediate interest

which is to continue to sell guns and give aid to support the economic system so that we can make playstations and laptops

in reality aid groups do not give aid.

the militarized groups steal from the people and destroy their livelyhood
this makes them dependant on aid for food etc. they then are either forced to gather resources by military groups or they do so out of desperation

the aid industry is a distraction so that we dont feel bad about not doing what needs to be done.

the military groups are the same as when colonialism "ended"

nothing has changed, africa is still ruled and exploited by whites.

aid is just a part of the system of exploitation and will never fix anything for that very reason
yes yes yes yes yes. I completely back what you are saying here. I think this campaign is actually cool in a way because it starts the conversation about the effects of American consumption and imperialism, and perhaps has introduced more people to the issues relating to it
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yes yes yes yes yes. I completely back what you are saying here. I think this campaign is actually cool in a way because it starts the conversation about the effects of American consumption and imperialism, and perhaps has introduced more people to the issues relating to it

Yeah, but almost no one is talking about that (at least no one I know). People just mention that there are other groups doing this stuff, but seem to ignore that first-world countries helped get Africa in the state it is currently in.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
so say something! The conversation has been started for you.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
i have a difficult time "buying into" campaigns that push for saving anyone for many reasons, one of which questioning the motives of those who have created such a campaign. Altruism isn't often pure. However, organizations such as this are important because like Gip said they provide the basis for which people can begin to question themselves, their habits, and what they are capable of doing with and to the world at large. Mindfulness and compassion go a long way but these are traits that have to be learned. Trying to validate the experience in which one learns is fruitless in the bigger picture. 

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »

all dickin aside, i really have trouble watching an entire documentary when the narrator has a smug, douchey voice. god, can't stand that shit.

a big concern i have here is why is the U.S. always expected to solve the world's problems? everyone hates us because we try to police the world, but we're the first one other countries call to in need of help. why isn't Europe or Canada or someone else expected to the save the planet? is it white guilt or something?

another thing about this cool and funky doc with the upside-down triangle logos and hip-bracelets: this entire campaign is rallying up attention to do what? the only likely solution is killing him, right? as i was watching this i started getting confused as to what this financial aid is actually doing. is the funding to help aid Uganda or to help kill this guy? and then what? isn't Africa littered with hundreds of fuckwads just like him? can evil ever be killed? (whoa, i'm getting deep and philosophical here)

I'm glad that awareness is being raised, but I would much rather donate to a group of former SEALS or Israeli military guys who have become mercenaries who would gladly kill this guy for a few million dollars.

same exact thought that ran through my head when i watched the movie.

oh, and great fucking post, Shmeatus.

+1 for you.

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 04:34:34 AM »
There's only one man who can stop Kony:

Oh wait, the smoke monster killed him.... Yeah, we're fucked...

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Are you guys regular? Killing Kony to stop what is going on there would do nothing. We have been saying it over and over. A poster earlier correctly pointed out that Kony is far from the only warlord in Africa. What we need to do is stop going in and trading warlords like him weapons for resources. Also, Joseph Kony obviously came into contact with missionaries, as hs entire "kill 'em all" mission is to spread the word of Christ. Extremist missionaries in Africa are also to blame.

The only way to actually do something is to consume less, oppose expansionist U.S. policy, and fight unfair debts that are being forced onto "3rd world" countries and keep them in desperate poverty. Killing Kony won't do a fucking thing.

Check it out, how would killing Kony stop this: http://www.truth-out.org/kazakhstan-massacre-killing-hope-benefit-us-geopolitical-interests/1331142602

Simple facts, we make this sort of thing happen every day indirectly.

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
Gipper, you always have such smart/insightful posts. Not even being sarcastic.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Gipper, you always have such smart/insightful posts. Not even being sarcastic.
even when i don't agree with gipper i enjoy reading his arguments. way too blown to read that link though so i'll come back later and try to sort through this stuff. damn it.

Shmeatus

• Rep: 3
  • Knock ya face off the side of ya face
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
Are you guys regular? Killing Kony to stop what is going on there would do nothing. We have been saying it over and over. A poster earlier correctly pointed out that Kony is far from the only warlord in Africa. What we need to do is stop going in and trading warlords like him weapons for resources. Also, Joseph Kony obviously came into contact with missionaries, as hs entire "kill 'em all" mission is to spread the word of Christ. Extremist missionaries in Africa are also to blame.

The only way to actually do something is to consume less, oppose expansionist U.S. policy, and fight unfair debts that are being forced onto "3rd world" countries and keep them in desperate poverty. Killing Kony won't do a fucking thing.

Check it out, how would killing Kony stop this: http://www.truth-out.org/kazakhstan-massacre-killing-hope-benefit-us-geopolitical-interests/1331142602

true dat. many dont even realize that consumerism perpetuates slavery. chocolate, computer chips, and mining of most minerals would not be possible without slavery, unless the system was drastically reformatted.
have money have heart

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
So I checked my facebook a few days a go and say everyone posting about this and checked it out. I was more focused on the Russell dude who made the film rather than the issue it self, which immediately turned me off from it. What I overall think of the doc is it seems like a big trendy bandwagon.. people who never gave two shits about social/political issues are now ranting about this KONY 2012 bandwagon.

KONY 2012 - Ugandan Viewpoint (Please watch!)
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
you guys don't know an advertisement when you see one.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
true dat. many dont even realize that consumerism perpetuates slavery. chocolate, computer chips, and mining of most minerals would not be possible without slavery, unless the system was drastically reformatted.
It's really true. I've talked to many people with anti-imperialist attitudes who spit a great game, but are all about buying the hottest newest shit, people really miss how the two relate.

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »

I see what your saying, but consuming less will draw out the depression and put deflationary pressures on the economy.  It's a lack of consumer spending and deleveraging that's dragging out the recovery process.  A lot of this unemployment we are experiencing is due to under consumption in the labor market for example.  That's why the actions of Obama and Bernake are designed to boost consumption, not slow it down.

This is what I don't understand about liberals - and maybe somebody could help me out with this - the economic plan currently advocated by moderate liberals is increased government spending along with an inflationary monetary policy which will encourage the private sector to consume more.  The economic plan advocated by conservatives is to balance the budget and adopt a hard money stance, which will likely send us back into recession a la Hoover, and force everyone to consume less.  If liberals dislike consumption, why do they support consumerist policies like infrastructural spending?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
There are healthy economies that are more liberal than ours also consume less. Its not really a case like you pose it.
The goal of Keynesian economics isn't simply to increase consumption, it is to increase demand by giving people the ability to cover needs and buy things they would buy, but can't, which is what ruins economies. Food stamps aren't so you can import zebra steaks (if such a thing were to exist), but putting money into the economy that can be spent on food helps the economy move. The strength of an economy is based on its ability to meet the needs of consumer, during crashes, extra aid is often needed to do that, and on top of that if human needs reduced, so would the necessity of a large economy, but that's not how we live now.
However, you also need to realize that liberal economic plans are not based on unfettered economic growth at any cost, even the most centrist democrat believes in basic economic regulations that stifle business growth for, at a minimum, a perceived benefit for society.
Conservative economic policy is based on boom-bust type economic movement.  They let things go, when people start coming up with crazy and sketchy ways to milk markets, they let it go, and you get booms, when it comes back to bite them in the ass, you get busts, and their policies encourage both.
The gold standard is regular for countless reasons, in the end, you are still basing your currency on faith, whether it being in the stability of the government or the belief that others will universally accept gold in trade at a stable value. Inflation relative to growth makes sense, though it is a touchy and difficult subject.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

BuddyPal

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
There's only one man who can stop Kony:

Oh wait, the smoke monster killed him.... Yeah, we're fucked...
he killed it in 'Oz' too, should have been SOTY

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
i think this kind of empty, fashionable activism (ie, not activism but "raising awareness") is becoming the norm

saw this today and it reminded me of the KONY video

this one almost seems like a parody of hipster social consciousness

One Day Without Shoes 2012 Trailer

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
So large groups of people, who are often middle-class and wealthier, are going a single day of their choosing, without shoes, in a warm and comfortable climate? That's adorable! These kids are so neat these days!

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »
i think this kind of empty, fashionable activism (ie, not activism but "raising awareness") is becoming the norm

F U C K T A R D S

Shit like this makes me wish doomsday prophecies were real. This armchair activist shit is out of hand, the worst thing is other people approve of this lazy ass method and use it as a conversation piece to sound "authentically compassionate and/or cool" it's just another self indulgent thing to add to the list of the ever expanding self indulgent American. I say fuck'em. Wanna get involved find real causes and charities that are action oriented, you know, like the one's who can't get the budget to make a new aged disney-ized video simplifying a conflict with many sides and with many fingers within many pies. Or Volunteer directly be it local or aboard to an array of causes aiming to help other humans.

As far as the Kony shit, blah blah. It's a no brain-er regarding how fucked areas of Africa have been for decades, usually by a very diligent and swaying foreign hand to help push these lil' tyke warloads on their first bike ride of devastation through a usually poor and mineral rich landscape. Sack and pillage straight up.

Shit, if you guys wanna get rich head down to South American lithium mines and hire a small crew of guys to blast tunnels for you for little to no pay, and you can bring it back to dickheads who will consume/flip/profit/etc. Exploitation has always been the name of the game. Those who don't acknowledge this as a simple fact, might as well put a quarter in their ass, cause they done played themselves.

I don't condone it or approve, but it's the nature of things, unfortunately. Hopefully there can be a greater consciousness out of the years to come that this may be a thing of the past, doubtful (even in our lifetimes, as well others), but it's a nice thought.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:29:43 PM by Wall of Nausea »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »

vov droping serious lifestyle hammers

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
Remember when people would get bummed on something so they'd join Greenpeace or some other organization and go to a location to help build schools or whatever?  Crazy idea....

No way kids of today would go anywhere they are told wouldn't get service to their iPhone. I'm amazed how many made it through a 30 min video (if they really did).

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
nah volunteer tourism is way more popular than ever actually. plus you have an iphone!
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
nah volunteer tourism is way more popular than ever actually. plus you have an iphone!
Its true. Lots of kids went down to Nola and Haiti when shit went down.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:15 PM »

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
i guess he wanted to free his "invisible children"
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Why'd the other thread get locked down? Wanted to hear more about the finances and things of that nature. I guess we could put it in here, but still, why?