Author Topic: 8.5" deck for street skating, what do you think?  (Read 57699 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 8.5" deck for street skating, what do you think?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »
this is the worst thread in a long time.
mr.cheese made up better threads.

i'm nocturnal.

• Rep: -22
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »
8.4"

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 06:10:01 AM »
When I was living in SF almost everyone I met was skating 8.5s. That being said...you have a size 9 shoe....I would try an 8 1/4 and see how you like it. My buddy who has size 13 shoes skated 7.5s with tight trucks forever...then one day he broke his board, skated my zip zinger all day and changed it up to 8.5. He loves it but he's also a monster who spends more time on a snowboard than a skateboard.

sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

mipe

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »
I rode a lots of 8.25's for a long. Then for some reason I changed a little bit wider and wider and now I've been skating on 8.5 for three years.
My feet is also 12 so it's only natural to have a bigger board. I've had a 8.6 and it was fine but when I tried my friends 8.8 Witchcraft it felt way too wide. Flip tricks just didn't worked out like they normally would.

I don't really understand why small kids with size 8 feet would want to ride a board wider than 8.0. Is it cool to have a wider board nowadays?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:39:33 AM by mipe »

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »
I never had any problems with it. I'm only 5'8 and I wear size 10 shoes. I rode 9's for a few months when I found them at the local board manufacturer's shop. shit started to get weird on flatground then. it's easier to skate stairs on a bigger board though.

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »
I just went from 8.25 to 8.38. Julien Stranger makes the best shapes.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »
I'm small, and use 8 or 8,5 shoes, and I skate 8,25+. I just like it, and I'll probably step up to 8,5 when I buy new trucks.

SSK9

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
I'm 5'11" 165 lbs.  size 12 shoe and I like an 8.25 deck for when I'm skating street and 8.3 to 8.5 for tranny, bowls, vert.
I would have to agree with others though as to it's what works/feels comfortable for you.

Private Dancer

• Rep: -3
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
8.5 is the most common size for any pros 5'8" and taller, the miniature dudes ride the 8s

sophisto000

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
8.5 is great, but work your way up to it or you might be bummed. Over the span of probably a year and a half I went from an 8-8.125-8.25-8.38-8.5. I didn't notice the change in size as much which made it more of a natural progression. Appropriate truck sizing is very important as many have said, little trucks on a big board feels jacked to me. Shit, I just setup an 8.88 w/some 169s and that board is a thing of beauty. MOST of the trick dynamics changing is in your head (a drastic change in board size creates a more noticable difference), a little extra effort gets the board to flip, albeit a little slower sometimes. Just have fun and ride what feels good wherever you're skating...

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
right now im skating a 7.9 deluxe board and think its the right balance for me

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
I ride a 7.75 cause I care about the environment    8)   

ableSkateMag.com

myles.

• Rep: 4
    • mylessk8s avatar image
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
personally, i cant stand anything smaller than an 8.25. i pretty much skate anything between an 8.25 and 9 on indy 149's

Fruitpunch

• Rep: -10
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »
I'm 130 lbs and wear a size 10 shoe and i need an 8.25 or bigger. once you get your tricks on them they seem easier to land on for everything and seems "safer".

Go Big or Go Home

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
I ride a 7.75 cause I care about the environment    8)   

hahaha yep me too......... also i'm short skinny and have tiny feet. give me a 7.5 - 7.75 any day with trucks so loose they are barely holding on. I'm tech guy, i like my stupid flip tricks and i like staying close to the ground. I have skated bigger but it felt like a boat.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
Now this is the thread I was hoping for.  These are some great and informative posts.  Thinking of printing this off.

Print it and nail it by your mirror that way you can start your morning off to a great start.

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
& a

Hesh Unicorn

• Rep: -6
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
just get one and if you dont like it go back to your old size, a lot of it is based on personal opinion

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
i think you should just skip 8.5 and  9.0 and directly rent a boat.become a sailor and shit.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
one of my friends rides an 8.5... his flip tricks are a mile high. and he only skates the highest ledges..
plus he's got ACE 44s wobble loose, and 54mm wheels.
8.5 is a lot of real-estate. but lots of people kill the streets with 8.5s

8.3 seems like the big thing these days though. though you end up frankenstein if you rock indy or thunder 149s..

if you wanna get hella tech.. then the 8.5 might hard. but yeah.. look at chris cole. he does all kinds of flip pity flop tricks on that tank.

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
1) get a wide board
2) loosen your trucks
3) loosen them some more
4) have fun

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

arnold schwarzenegger

• Rep: -4
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »
try a 8.5! it's so much more fun to skate 'wide' decks. you'll soon find out if you really care about all that nonsense tech stuff.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
one of my friends rides an 8.5... his flip tricks are a mile high. and he only skates the highest ledges..
plus he's got ACE 44s wobble loose, and 54mm wheels.
8.5 is a lot of real-estate. but lots of people kill the streets with 8.5s

8.3 seems like the big thing these days though. though you end up frankenstein if you rock indy or thunder 149s..

if you wanna get hella tech.. then the 8.5 might hard. but yeah.. look at chris cole. he does all kinds of flip pity flop tricks on that tank.

shit, just for the hell of it, i put my friends 149's on my board which is an 8, it looked so fucked, i dont understand how people ride the 149's way too wide. I'm reall small, but jamie tancowny is smaller than me and that fool ride's an 8.5 and 149's! I personally got to go with 8-8.1 but i'm thinking about buying an 8.25 next, i just don't know how well that would work with 139's....some advice?
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
Now this is the thread I was hoping for.� These are some great and informative posts.� Thinking of printing this off.

Mock it all you want, but I'm the guy who started the thread and I pretty much got what I was looking for.

I've only been skating about two years and I skate with a pretty limited groups of guys who mostly skate smaller (less than 8") decks. I guess I wasn't sure if it was "normal" to use a larger deck for street skating or if they were just meant for guys who stick to ramps/bowls. Anyway I got some good answers and I'm going to give the 8.5" and some Indy 149s a go. Thanks to all who contributed.

goatsucker

• Rep: -23
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »
chris cole and deawon

cole yes deawon pleeease show proof im almost 100% sure he is on a much smaller deck

not that he couldnt do it i just want to point this out to some very annoying locals that say big boards are for tranny skaters only !

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Now this is the thread I was hoping for.� These are some great and informative posts.� Thinking of printing this off.
[close]

Mock it all you want, but I'm the guy who started the thread and I pretty much got what I was looking for.

I've only been skating about two years and I skate with a pretty limited groups of guys who mostly skate smaller (less than 8") decks. I guess I wasn't sure if it was "normal" to use a larger deck for street skating or if they were just meant for guys who stick to ramps/bowls. Anyway I got some good answers and I'm going to give the 8.5" and some Indy 149s a go. Thanks to all who contributed.
You started skating at 28?

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
sheffey's 7.4

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's Slap.  Everything is mocked even when we don't want it to be.  I am surprised that no one, NO ONE, mentioned that riding big ass boards is a bit of a trend.  There is nothing wrong with it, but for little dudes to be saying, "I CAN'T ride anything less than an 8.blahblah..." is pretty fucking silly.  Granted, yes- it's about whatever you're comfortable on, but it's undeniable that it's a trend.  You have companies that will release the same graphic and they'll do a small/medium/large and 10 years ago, a small would be a 7.5.  Smalls for some of these companies are 8.12.  That's not "small."

Like I said- it's about what you're comfortable on.  I've seen older dudes absolutely SHRED on minis and in a bowl on a 7.8, but it was 5-10 years ago.

lol hell yeah that shit is a trend. you can tell when niggas try to turn it to some elitist shit ive posts on here where niggas were like "real men only ride 8 inch boards & loose trucks" or some bullshit like that. board size is nothing other than a personal preference. if it works for you, then its good.

personally, i like a 8-8.25 just because i skate a lot of gaps and it gives me the right balance of foot room and flip speed for my 10.5 shoe. i assume my physical stature would have an effect on that preference as well.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »
I ride 8.5s because I'm a fat fuck with a size 12 shoe. It has never once hindered my "tech tricks". In my 11 years of skating, 9 of them have been spent on boards 8+. I remember quite clearly when I went to the skateshop to buy a deck, the shop keeper would talk shit on my boats. Nowadays I barely know anyone that rides under 8. I think it's pretty funny.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 04:48:30 AM »
You started skating at 28?

I started at 23, skated for a year and half, quit at 25, then got back into it at 30.