Author Topic: Best kept secrets  (Read 18711 times)

BuddyPal

Re: Best kept secrets
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
jon allie never actually cut the rail that slash was trying to skate, but a second rail cutter on the grassy knoll did it. jon allie was the fall guy

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
There's a false ceiling on tricks. Every pro and am can do stuff twice as hard/good as what they put out. To keep steady progression and not have the level rise too high and too fast, to keep the older generation of pro's valid. That's why dum am's like nick merlino got silenced and sent to foundation when he was killing it when he was baker flow.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »
There's a false ceiling on tricks. Every pro and am can do stuff twice as hard/good as what they put out. To keep steady progression and not have the level rise too high and too fast, to keep the older generation of pro's valid. That's why dum am's like nick merlino got silenced and sent to foundation when he was killing it when he was baker flow.

it wouldn't surprise me if this is true. I remember an interview with Merlino where he says that he heard that Batface was threatened by his skating.

wayside11

• Rep: -47
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
ryan shecklers grandpa invented skateboarding

wayside11

• Rep: -47
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
people on mars use longboards instead to do tricks.

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it wouldn't surprise me if this is true. I remember an interview with Merlino where he says that he heard that Batface was threatened by his skating.

Watch Guy Mariano's Epicly Later'd. The dude was blowing up Powell super hard, but Stacy told him to chill his game.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
waterloo shantell is jake duncombe

PFIASB.

• Rep: -94
  • Formerly elmo
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
paul rodriguez is a robot
antwaun went to harvard
rob dyrdek doesnt have knees

i didnt tell you
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Studies actually show that, in fact, nobody fits well on Krooked.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 11:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which interview? I want to know more

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:07 PM »
Tony Hawk is a pot head, and I think that's cool.
I have heard this as well.

Edit: I thought of one, maybe this is self-evident to some but skate magazines have pretty heavy politics on who can be in a magazine. Since there is so little editorial space you usually need sponsors that pay advertising dollars to get photos run. I have a friend who was supposed to get an interview in a major magazine, his main sponsor stopped advertising in the magazine and they pulled the interview. Additionally, a photo usually needs to be taken by a photographer with a name or a known skater (as in at least one or the other) - the rationale for this is usually that it spreads the wealth/opportunities/exposure to those who are already established but a bi-product of this is that it creates a ceiling for newcomers. Lastly, and one I think some of you have heard is that those who pay more advertising dollars have requested that their rider get a photo run over another skater (if they did the same trick) or request their rider be put on a cover over another skater.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:18:11 PM by happenstance »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »
Markovic dated shorty's Rosa and Danny Way was the first guy doing a 900...he claimed it in his interview in tws october 1991!

Not much of a secret if it was printed in a magazine. This old vert pro Jeff Jones actually claimed the 900 back in the '80s.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Tony Hawk is a pot head, and I think that's cool.
[close]
I have heard this as well.

Edit: I thought of one, maybe this is self-evident to some but skate magazines have pretty heavy politics on who can be in a magazine. Since there is so little editorial space you usually need sponsors that pay advertising dollars to get photos run. I have a friend who was supposed to get an interview in a major magazine, his main sponsor stopped advertising in the magazine and they pulled the interview. Additionally, a photo usually needs to be taken by a photographer with a name or a known skater - the rationale for this is usually that it spreads the wealth/opportunities/exposure to those who are already established but a bi-product of this is that it creates a ceiling for newcomers. Lastly, and one I think some of you have heard is that those who pay more advertising dollars have requested that their rider get a photo run over another skater (if they did the same trick) or request their rider be put on a cover over another skater.

Not the first time i heard this...

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
if i told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:25 AM »

cept gonz  ;)

p.s. this:

jon allie never actually cut the rail that slash was trying to skate, but a second rail cutter on the grassy knoll did it. jon allie was the fall guy

was a criminally underrated post.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:06:17 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:55 AM »
busenitz actually skates slow and has his footage sped up

The shake junt crew dont actually smoke weed

Berra is tearing down spots like carlsbad, brooklyn banks and hubba hideout until the berrics is the only famous "spot" left

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:58 AM »
toan nguyen, jon nguyen, don nguyen, brandon nguyen, sean nguyen... they are all one family.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:53 AM »
Roger is subsidiary of Selfish.

Wenning has a fat twin who took over his career after the "retirement" part in DC video.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »
toan nguyen, jon nguyen, don nguyen, brandon nguyen, sean nguyen... they are all one family.

You forgot Quy Nguyen!

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
Caswell Berry helped develop and spread a new form of herpes around the western united states and other dark corners of the world.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Markovic dated shorty's Rosa and Danny Way was the first guy doing a 900...he claimed it in his interview in tws october 1991!
[close]

Not much of a secret if it was printed in a magazine. This old vert pro Jeff Jones actually claimed the 900 back in the '80s.

I remember Nieratko writing that Rich Lopes was doing 900's long before Tony, but that could have been outlandish pro-Jersey propaganda.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:03 AM »
Andrew Reynolds = Benjamin Button.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

jexe

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
The entire industry really does have it out for Brian Wenning.

Berra and Koston are fighting Scientology from the inside.

Jaws doesn't really jump down big shit. His filmer just uses advanced camera techniques and Photoshop is rampant in the entire industry.

you were actually falsely informed on this, he was in a serious accident when he was younger and lost his legs, they were replaced with prosthetic legs and in recent years updated with hydraulic knee's incorporated in the design

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Andrew Reynolds = Benjamin Button.
I think you may be on to something here...
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You forgot Quy Nguyen!

not only family ... same person ... just changeing the look due to a higher marketability ! ... if u dont know ... now you know!

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
If you eat your own semen you can pass any drug test
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

Hesh Unicorn

• Rep: -6
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
Jerry Hsu is actually black, they just lighten his skin color in ads/videos so he fits in better with enjoi

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Brooklyn Brawler isn't an asain from Toronto, he is actually is Jason Dill.
[close]
you mean was an asian from toronto, but now is jason dill.
Expand Quote
The Real team doesn't ride the boards they sell.

Phelps is just the front for a board of directors, who pick the SOTY. They decide who the SOTY is based on who can be more marketable. Needless to say, Steve Rodriguez is on this board.

BATB is rigged.
[close]
as much as i don't care for the berrics, this is very much untrue.

after buzz killing a few i thought i'd add that guy mariano was supposed to skate to a national acrobat by black sabbath for his mouse part. rick howard wasn't feeling it and switched the song.
Damn you Rick Howard, damn you...