Author Topic: Who got Mongo Swag?  (Read 5329 times)

Dontkickshitfoot

Re: Who got Mongo Swag?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
When I was littleI used to think it was only cool to push mongo to fakie because Reynolds does it in baker 2g  ;D

DGKALIS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »
Pushing switch mongo is just pushing your stance.

To me the majority of the fools out there pushing switch make it look like they are trying too hard. Kinda ugly to me.

If you can pull it off... good for you. Sometimes im in a pinch and will push switch... if im carving that way or something... but pushing fakie is usually the better look.. because its the natural way.

Just my opinion though....

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
I didn't have you in mind when I made this, but if it includes you, well...

walgreens is the best. this only makes me want to use the word more

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
Bill danforth

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
Ronnie Creager
Guy Mariano
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

To me the majority of the fools out there pushing switch make it look like they are trying too hard. Kinda ugly to me.

If you can pull it off... good for you. Sometimes im in a pinch and will push switch... if im carving that way or something... but pushing fakie is usually the better look.. because its the natural way.

So you can switch backside tailslide hubba and make it look natural as possible, but making a switch push look ok is out of your league?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
So you can switch backside tailslide hubba and make it look natural as possible, but making a switch push look ok is out of your league?

real talk ive always wondered how guys could do some of the gnariest shit switch but would still push mongo in their opposite stance.

Dick Moranus

• Rep: -4
  • You're a loser
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
Is there really any regular pushing mongo loser out there making it?

Serious question...

oneshovel

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
Seems to me that switch mongo came about when all that mattered was doing the techest shit, and making it look natural was less important.  Now that style is such a big deal, switch mongo is like the dodo bird, except not extinct just yet, thanks to certain 90's cats.

Another theory I have is that dudes only do it so you KNOW the trick is switch.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 525
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »
Seems to me that switch mongo came about when all that mattered was doing the techest shit, and making it look natural was less important.  Now that style is such a big deal, switch mongo is like the dodo bird, except not extinct just yet, thanks to certain 90's cats.

Another theory I have is that dudes only do it so you KNOW the trick is switch.

I beg to differ. Style is kinda lackin these days. Most seem to be more interested in just the trick. Gino, Gonz, Keenan, Carroll, Huf, Cardiel, Sanch, Chico, Bertino,Stevie, Drake Jones, Lotti, Jovante, Sheffey, Rick Howard, Kareem, Koston, Bici, Gangemi, Correa, ect, ect.

Those dudes were style. Just so happened they had I'll tricks too. None of those dudes pushed switch. Pushing switch is more for the young cats. Some old Philly shit was pushing switch because they cared too much about trying to make their style look more natural... But really it looked fake. I watch most of the kids pushing switch... And think... Just push your stance. You'll usually go faster... And it's natural.

In my opinion of course. Lol.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
Wieger.

BIGSTOOPS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
push how you want to push, as long as it's comfortable.  i think for most dudes, you learned how to skate regular before you start skating switch, you're already comfortable pushing with your back leg. so wouldn't you still push with the same leg whether you're skating switch or not?  maybe it's just me.

when i started skating, there was no switch, so kids these days hate on my switch mongo. but i can care less.  all i can say is that i'm having a blast while other kids look uncomfortable and awkward trying to push "the cool way".  my all time favorite mongoloids are bill danforth, randy colvin, and johnny pryor. badass!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:51:37 PM by BIGSTOOPS »

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
bill danforth, randy colvin, and johnny pryor. badass!

WORD!!!!!!!!!

wait.  whos johnny pryor?    lol.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
My style sucks dick doing anything switch, skating my stance is a little more like eating pussy albeit a bit of a smelly one.  I heart reverts, 180s, whatever I need to do to get back to my goofy footed roll and I look like a gimp pushing switch.  I like tricks that have utility and getting me back to my natural stance and my board flipped back around has been cause for learning a couple tricks.

I don't get the whole switch thing and it seems like a bonus points contest thing.  How the fuck is it any more fun?  I can appreciate how much harder it makes things but to me it's like working on your car to make it fast in reverse.

To answer the original question posed I don't think it's possible.  Usually the only reason you notice that somebody is pushing mongo is because it just looks so hideous and you can't figure out why until you realize that's what is going on.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:22:57 PM by Seamus_McShamebag »

BIGSTOOPS

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
Expand Quote
bill danforth, randy colvin, and johnny pryor. badass!
[close]

WORD!!!!!!!!!

wait.  whos johnny pryor?    lol.

john pryor used to skate for alien workshop.

BIGSTOOPS

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
 I can appreciate how much harder it makes things but to me it's like working on your car to make it fast in reverse.

you can skate switch just as fast mongolian

Willy Santos cut my hair

• Rep: 390
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
despite being an old git, i've been trying to get more comfortable pushing switch for ages.
skateboarding is a lopsided-activity - pushing both ways takes the edge off that a little

mongomaestro

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
? I can appreciate how much harder it makes things but to me it's like working on your car to make it fast in reverse.
[close]

you can skate switch just as fast mongolian

faster.  regs.    8)

mongomaestro

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
early dill with the 100mph mongo madness...

beautiful.   8)

foureyedjim

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
I would probably be better at pushing switch if I started out pushing mongo for my normal stance

victor333

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
It does seem some people skate switch just to get "bonus points". Like, instead of doing a tre down a 10-stair regs., they'll do it switch, and it'll be considered more impressive, even though it technically doesn't look any better.

However, some people need to be able to skate switch cause of how they string together combos and such. Like, a dude that does a lot of tricks landing fakie/switch, with a lot of tricks done quickly, it looks better when the dude just pushes the way he lands instead of him reverting or having to do a 180 trick.