Author Topic: Skateboarding and going to the gym?  (Read 20729 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Skateboarding and going to the gym?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
I go to the gym 6 days a week. I do cardio and lift. I can see a difference now, I'm able to skate longer and not feel sore after a long session. 21 and hoping to skate for another 2 decades.

william hunter

• Rep: -2
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
it's like going to the grocery store.  there are people there, but you don't even see them.

yes ! well said

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 04:02:06 AM »
Nice thread!
Since I live in a country with really harsh winters, I decided to start lifting weights 3 times a week this winter, since I cant skate whenever I feel like it. I've had good progress, and put on some muscles. Feels pretty nice. But now that the snow is gone and the weather is getting warmer, my motivation is slowly fading away. I just wanna skate

Johnny Rocketflips

• Rep: -33
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
Nice thread!
Since I live in a country with really harsh winters, I decided to start lifting weights 3 times a week this winter, since I cant skate whenever I feel like it. I've had good progress, and put on some muscles. Feels pretty nice. But now that the snow is gone and the weather is getting warmer, my motivation is slowly fading away. I just wanna skate

You should do some short and fast workouts so you don't have to start from zero when the summer is over. Won't be building new muscle but atleast you'll keep some of what you gained during the winter.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice thread!

[close]

You should do some short and fast workouts so you don't have to start from zero when the summer is over. Won't be building new muscle but atleast you'll keep some of what you gained during the winter.

Yeah.. Im trying to work out at least once a week now, so I wont loose to much muscles before the summer. It might sound dumb, but I dont really want to get any bigger than I am right now, I fear it might fuck up my skating.

Johnny Rocketflips

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice thread!

[close]

[close]

Yeah.. Im trying to work out at least once a week now, so I wont loose to much muscles before the summer. It might sound dumb, but I dont really want to get any bigger than I am right now, I fear it might fuck up my skating.

I've been thinking about that too, but in reality it'll take alot of years before you reach that point. There will come a time you'll have to stop bulking and tighten up, and you'll be surprised how small you'll be once you've gotten rid of all the fat you've gained along the way.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice thread!

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been thinking about that too, but in reality it'll take alot of years before you reach that point. There will come a time you'll have to stop bulking and tighten up, and you'll be surprised how small you'll be once you've gotten rid of all the fat you've gained along the way.

Yeah, guess you are right! Im just concerned I will break more boards and lose my balance and shit if I put on to much muscles  :P Well, dont think I'll need to tighten up anytime soon, I've been really strict with my diet this winter. Measured my bodyfat the other day, and I was around 7-9 %

Johnny Rocketflips

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice thread!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, guess you are right! Im just concerned I will break more boards and lose my balance and shit if I put on to much muscles  :P Well, dont think I'll need to tighten up anytime soon, I've been really strict with my diet this winter. Measured my bodyfat the other day, and I was around 7-9 %

Woah that's crazy if it's accurate. How much do you weigh and how tall are ya? You can still see the veins in my arms and legs but my lower belly is getting out of control :'(

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice thread!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Woah that's crazy if it's accurate. How much do you weigh and how tall are ya? You can still see the veins in my arms and legs but my lower belly is getting out of control :'(

5'8" and about 163 lbs.. Im not exactly Arnold tho :p
Haha.. Stay of the junk food and just skate a lot!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
I just pirat...er...bought that Insanity program thing. You don't need any equipment for it, right? I'm going to stick with it no matter what. I'm going try to lose 20lbs. by summer. It's time for me to get serious about this shit.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
I just pirat...er...bought that Insanity program thing. You don't need any equipment for it, right? I'm going to stick with it no matter what. I'm going try to lose 20lbs. by summer. It's time for me to get serious about this shit.

Do you have the calendar?  If not,

Unless you are super fit already, I guarantee day 1 will kill you, and it's only a 20 min fit test.

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »
skateboarding IS my gym

Word. I'm surprised at how many people are saying skateboarding doesn't keep them fit. I guess sometimes it's nice to just hang out and chat and try something in between, but most times I get into a flow where I get jittery if I'm just standing around waiting for someone else to go. If there are too many guys trying to skate the same thing I'll just go try something else, even flat stuff, just to keep moving.

If I skate alone sometimes I actually bring a stopwatch and try to see how many tries I can get in in a given period of time. It's super tiring and it pushes you to skate faster.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Brewce Martin works out w/an old rear end out of a 72 Impala and he can kick(and most likely out-skate)all of your arses.
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »

what you put into your body is a big deal when you're trying to lose weight. What you're eating, your diet, is important as far as fat/muscle/nutrients/protein/aminos are concerned. What you put in your body for recreation is also important! It's not hard to work off booze/liquid weight and working through tarred lungs isn't so bad either, but it's the motivation to break through that shit that's hard to come by. get crackin homie!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
I used to be very anti-gym for the longest.  Once you get older, you really need to work at it unless you want to be like all your friends you see on facebook that have gotten fat as hell after high school.

I try to be active every day if possible.  I walk to work and eat lunch at home so I walk 30 minutes a day even if I don't do anything else.

When I go to the gym, I usually do an hour on the elliptical with heavy resistance while watching skate videos on my EVO 4G, then I lift some weights for half an hour. 

I have some weights, BOSU ball, pullup bar, and stationary bike at home.  I work out while I hang out with my kids sometimes and I have some 3 lb and 5 lb dumbbells that my 3 year old son and 7 year old daughter use to mimic me (my daughter is notorious for overpowering bigger kids including boys in her karate class while sparring).

In my office at the hospital, I have a 25 lb. kettle bell (actually it's a kettle grip with weight from here: http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/equipment/kettle-grips/pair-of-super-kettle-grips.html, perfect pushup handles, and a exercise ball.  I do a set every hour if I don't have too many assignments to complete (I set the timer on my phone to alert me).

One of my collateral duties in the navy (until my recent knee surgery) was to help lead the fitness enhancement program which means I worked out the overweight personnel in my command regularly to get them into shape.  One of the workouts I lead them on was compared to the Bataan death march.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March

If you're going to run, be very wary of the toll that bad form will have on your legs.  I didn't realize this until after I destroyed the meniscus on both knees due to bad form.  This guy has probably some of the best advice for those of you who want to tackle running.

http://www.freedomsrun.org/Training/TrainingIntro.aspx

I agree with the "getting out of your body what you put into it" logic with nutrition.

By the way, the human body is a total fucking asshole if you ever slack off and get fat.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/31/141794801/losing-weight-a-battle-against-fat-and-biology

Best thing to do is never get fat.  Good luck and goodnight.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »
I actually believe that quitting skating makes you fat, more than getting fat makes you quit skating.....

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »
Getting fat will get you hurt though.  That extra weight with all the impact is a pretty shitty thing to ask your ankles and knees not mention your back to keep up.  Something is going to have to give.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54:19 AM »
surprised this hasn't been posted yet

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »
^^^^
HAHAHAHAHA
i've been wondering when people were going to start bringing that up

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
surprised this hasn't been posted yet

ahahaha  totally forgot about that. Does Commercial D even post anymore?

ThrillOfItAll

• Rep: -47
  • Stomp It
    • Skate Blog avatar image
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »
Looked like Beebs was putting some weight on this last year! CUT LIKE fuck now!

GYM in skateboarding is Legit!
Time To Play The Game

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:08 AM »
Just don't go tattoing your name on your back in big letters like some douche asshole and you'll be alright.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

One of my collateral duties in the navy (until my recent knee surgery) was to help lead the fitness enhancement program which means I worked out the overweight personnel in my command regularly to get them into shape.  One of the workouts I lead them on was compared to the Bataan death march.

I am not sure if any fat camp workout is really going to compare to the Bataan Death March.  My great Uncle survived that ordeal and while he weighed in at a sprite 195 the day he enlisted and managed to cut down to a svelte 85 lbs (at 6'2) when they found him at a Japanese POW camp two years later I am pretty sure that the minimalist diet, dysentery, and stress of the threat of imminent death at the hands of his Japanese captors probably had more to do with it then the march.  From what I have heard I would not suggest the program.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am not sure if any fat camp workout is really going to compare to the Bataan Death March.  My great Uncle survived that ordeal and while he weighed in at a sprite 195 the day he enlisted and managed to cut down to a svelte 85 lbs (at 6'2) when they found him at a Japanese POW camp two years later I am pretty sure that the minimalist diet, dysentery, and stress of the threat of imminent death at the hands of his Japanese captors probably had more to do with it then the march.  From what I have heard I would not suggest the program.

that would be impressive if they were able to recreate the environment of a Japanese POW camp, to a tee
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
We're talkin fat people here though.....I've seen them break a sweat getting on a bus......

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
That's why making them run for 4 miles (with a very brutal uphill climb) would prompt them to utter that piece of hyperbole.  I didn't let a single one walk the route.  I'm glad nobody died.

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:46 AM »
Do a martial art.

Alongside skateboarding,. I've done kickboxing for around 6 years. It helped me loads with balance, fitness, strength, etc...and you get the same adrenaline from sparring/fighting as you do skating.

And it's not like joining a conventional gym which are pretty much hamster wheels for humans.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
Martial arts should feel pretty natural for skateboarders.  I took some karate while I was in college and even though I was just starting, I seemed to "get it" faster than a lot of the other students since I was more spatially aware, faster reflexes, and pick stuff up pretty quick from just seeing it.  Is that why so many ex-pros do MMA?

ThirtyYearsYoung

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:26 AM »
I'm the other way, went from martial arts into skateboarding. I think the emphasis in martial arts on articulating what your body should be doing and how to make it do that really helped me with skating.

syddddd

• Rep: -9
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »
stretching helps. i don't really know about like body building or anything, but i imagine keeping yourself fit can't hurt when trying to get better... at anything.. not just skating