Author Topic: Skateboarding and going to the gym?  (Read 20725 times)

HeshSesh

• Stop hating on me!!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65531
Skateboarding and going to the gym?
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
do any of you guys go to the gym along with skating? i got really into lifting this winter and was wondering if anyone has any comments on how to balance the two??

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
Re: Skateboarding and going to the gym?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
I go, sometimes, its a good thing to kill time in winter, and not to get fat like a motherfucker...  But I dont think I would go if I lived somewhere, where I was able to skate the whole year.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
I have my own weights and a heavy bag... I just go for reps and a lot of punching and kicking for stamina and because I'm at an age where sitting for 10 minutes can cause rapid weight gain.

Brooklyn Zoo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
This kid still had time to skate while he was getting jacked, you can see the difference in some of the clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEGjsDaQjU
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

b.v.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
When you get older your skate time diminishes a bit and it's easy to get out of shape. I don't go crazy but a little strength training and cardio helps my knees a lot.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Unrelated, but I remember reading somewhere that Corey Duffel would go to the gym in all his gear, rings and all.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
I only do to lose weight, usually try doing that a couple times a year. What about excersises that actually benefit skating?does jumping up onto high platforms repeatedly make you able to jump/ollie higher?core muscle workouts to improve balance?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
I work nights so i usually wake up and skate a bit then work and go to gym after work at like 1 in the am or I'll wake up at like 9 to gym then skate and work. It really helps with stress for me.

cat litter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
treadmill is way better for dropping belly fat than skating for me, but im no busenitz

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
skating doesn't keep me lean, not even when i had time to skate 10-12 hours a week and now i'm lucky to get 4-5. so working out is essential to staying fit enough to be able to still progress in skating.

as far as exercises that benfit skating, think about that from time to time and lately i've been trying to learn to jump rope because it seems like it would do the trick. build stamina, burn fat and work your your pop muscles.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
CROSSFIT BRO!!!!!!
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
i'm 30 and don't skate every day or anything, but i go to the gym before work every morning. i was a handrail/stair guy, and it fucking destroyed my knees and ankles. if i didn't go to the gym, i really doubt i'd be even able to cruise around bowls now.  plus it's kept me at the same weight since i was about 23 so, you know, vagina.

managuense

• Rep: -27
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »
fuck i knew biebel wasripped but damn.my knees are fucked so i go mostly for that but i do curls bench press  incline press and shit too.  i  try to swim a couple times a week and do  a little jump roping everyday too, it just makes me feel goodafterwards

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
i keep saying im going to start going but the same reasons that i fell in love with skateboarding go hand in hand with me never wanting to be in that environment.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »
i keep saying im going to start going but the same reasons that i fell in love with skateboarding go hand in hand with me never wanting to be in that environment.

nah man.  i thought the same thing when i started going, but for every one ripped oiled up jock, you'll see 60 sweaty ass middle aged women on treadmills and dudes who just realized how old they are.  there will be a pair of dudes who go together and just see what the heaviest thing they can pick up is, and you will be able to physically sense how much everybody else in the joint hates them. the gym is 99.5% people just trying to keep it together. it takes a few days of getting over "shit, i joined a gym" but then it's nothing. it's like going to the grocery store.  there are people there, but you don't even see them.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
before i hurt my shoulder i used to go just for yoga and swimming, which were tight
now i just run for cardio and do basic rudimentary yoga at home

oh yeah and this
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=38957.0

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
I work out quite a bit. I find it relieves stress and there are other benefits too. Less people wanna fuck with you for no reason and you get more attention from the girls. I get dirty looks all the time from skaters who don't know me, because they assume I'm some kook who doesn't actually love skating. I couldn't give a fuck though. I just do whatever makes me feel good about myself. Skateboarding will always be first to me, but lifting shit can be fun too. Some people are still stuck in that highschool mentality where they have to label people, and everyone has to be a walking stereotype.

Just for the record, most people who go to the gym are pretty nice people, who will spot you, act supportive, etc. Most of the douchebags are young kids who don't know any better. I don't have a problem with people who like sports/work out, etc; but with people who have a shitty attitude.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
 In winter if i cant skate due to weather i do some cardio. If i can skate i just stick to some weight-lifting, push ups, pull ups, ab and back excercises at home.
My legs are too muscular from skating and i thought it is funny to be fully ripped in legs and out of shape above waist so i started doing some excercise at home.

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
I am surprised to not see more sarcastic comments and bashing on this thread. But I used to go to the gym with a friend of mine after work. It was a good time, and his membership allowed us to go there after hours so we encountered few tools, and most people that were there were pretty nice. I would do whatever seemed fun at that time. Now I just do morning stretches and skate literally everywhere I go, or ride my bike around town. If I don't get out and skate, I might run on the treadmill.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

S.E.

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 06:30:16 PM »
Skated every single day for 9 years straight and looked in the mirror and realized my legs were huge and my upper body looked like shit so I started working out.  It does really suck at first but once you get into a routine and start seeing results its an awesome feeling.  Plus chicks really dig muscles so that was an added plus. 

TonyBologna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
Plus chicks really dig muscles so that was an added plus.? 
A very sexy girl, stated that most girls like a guy with "normal arms" because her d-bag boyfriend was boasting about his arms or some shit. I don't know what normal is, but I feel that a nice routine would definitely help.
Skateboarding is easy, I've played Skate 3 dude!

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
I just started going again about 3 weeks ago. I don't really dig the atmosphere so much but once i get out of my head and start working it feels damn good. I also do hatha yoga a few days a week too. I can't get down with a cardio machine, I run outside on and off regardless of the weather and ride my bike as well.

Really, if you can ride like 20 or 30 miles a day on a bike four or 5 days a week, especially a track/fixed gear, your entire body will get worked harder than from what can go down at the gym.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
closest thing to the gym i do is yoga..i feel that helps me with stretching before i skate. i personally find the gym boring
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
got that p90x thing for free and i'm going to give it a shot. i'm not over weight, but i'm out of shape. i think being in decent shape is pretty essential if you want to prolong your ability to skate into your older years.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
The Mag Minute with Rocky Norton
Human version of Popeye.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:16:33 PM by Locbrew »
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
I just started going again about 3 weeks ago. I don't really dig the atmosphere so much but once i get out of my head and start working it feels damn good. I also do hatha yoga a few days a week too. I can't get down with a cardio machine, I run outside on and off regardless of the weather and ride my bike as well.

Really, if you can ride like 20 or 30 miles a day on a bike four or 5 days a week, especially a track/fixed gear, your entire body will get worked harder than from what can go down at the gym.

Including all those muscles you don't use when riding a bike?

Brooklyn Zoo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »

you do use some of your upper body riding, if you can rock the bike to help pick up speed and if your booking it up a steep hill youll feel it
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you do use some of your upper body riding, if you can rock the bike to help pick up speed and if your booking it up a steep hill youll feel it

Yeah, that's true. I guess it would be better for your upper body than just skating, but I'd still think the difference in how much your legs are getting a work out versus how much your arms/chest are would just result in the same problems other people describe of their legs being muscular/toned with no upper body definition.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
My doctor told me to go to the gym or ride a bicycle more because my leg muscles (particularly quads) are uneven from years of skating. Fuck it though.
And for those saying skating doesn't cut weight, I find a sold bowl session does wonders for your gut.
I use time others my age use at the gym skating.
The girl who broke my heart the worst dated a gym rat right after me, she asked me if I remembered him from the college weight room because he was there all the time...man....fuck the gym! Superficial hoe! hahaha.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out