Author Topic: Skateboarding and going to the gym?  (Read 20732 times)

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding and going to the gym?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Including all those muscles you don't use when riding a bike?
[close]

you do use some of your upper body riding, if you can rock the bike to help pick up speed and if your booking it up a steep hill youll feel it
[close]

Yeah, that's true. I guess it would be better for your upper body than just skating, but I'd still think the difference in how much your legs are getting a work out versus how much your arms/chest are would just result in the same problems other people describe of their legs being muscular/toned with no upper body definition.

dudes like mumford and pudwill have ripped upper bodies. the secret is to flail around like an idiot at all times while skating.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
skateboardings made my calfs swole as fuck. its them high ollies that make you feel the burn

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:44 AM »
My right calf is way bigger than my left. To avoid contributing to the asymmetry is the main reason why I never push switch mongo.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:25 AM »
if your concerned about the vibe at the gym try the Y. i just started going there and it's mostly old people and familys. the most annoying thing so far is the spin class which plays the most horrible music really loud everyday at lunch time. but the Y is 2.5 miles from my house so perfect to ride my bike too, workout for 30 mins and then ride back home. plus for family men it's got good child watch.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »
i have had a membeship sinc e2004 when i blew out my knee, i was really closed minded when i started, then starte dto lift weights, then kinda got bro big, for the last year or so all i have done is leg exersizes, and different cardio stuff. much better.
my gym recently went out of business, i wanna skate, bike and run this summer and worry about a membership next fall.

the gym definaltly helped me rehab alot of injuries.

b.v.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »
I'm surprised by the amount of people who go to the gym. I have a few free weights, a bench and an elliptical machine. Feels more comfy and convenient to do it at home on my time.   

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
I should probably try that since I have no upper body strength. Duffel said in the 50th issue of the Skateboard Mag, he did some self-rehab at the gym.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
I was just as hesitant to go to the gym as the next skater. I thought I could stay fit but increasing my hours of skating a day but that'll just make matters worse. I really didn't want to go to a traditional gym because I was use to training as a boxer and the whole atmosphere at the gym reminded me of brintney spears. I got over it and I'm glad I did. Since going to the gym, doing hill intervals on the bike for 30 mins and then running on the treadmill for another 30 mins, I feel amazingly better on the board. As a result, I can also breath better and skate for so much longer than I was able to before. I know it sounds like I'm advertising for some amazing new product but getting older means taking care of yourself.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »
I have been going to the gym for a long ass time and I think it helps a ton in terms of avoiding injuries and healing faster.  Strength training builds up your tendon strength which helps with the whole ricocheting off of concrete thing.  Last year I took a dive off the coping and landed elbow first straight down on the flat of a concrete bowl.  My shoulder popped completely out and and my arm was just dangling.  The doc that put it back in said it was the easiest that she had ever done because all the ligaments were tight and it just popped right back in.  The recovery went really fast too compared to all the horror stories people started telling me about how fucked their shoulders were for ages after they popped them out.  In that sense, I think the gym helps me skate more because I lose less time to injuries.  Also, if you have the time it's easy to skate and go to the gym in the same day.  Once you get past the initial soreness the two don't really affect each other.

I don't stress about any crazy regimented program these days.  I just use good form, stay within my limits, lift heavy and work every muscle group and I am good. 

If you want to avoid the whole Under Armor clad Chad scene then go to a City rec center.  They are usually a lot cheaper and a lot more mellow and devoid of the "fitness fucks" you deal with at clubs.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
I'm surprised by the amount of people who go to the gym. I have a few free weights, a bench and an elliptical machine. Feels more comfy and convenient to do it at home on my time.   
Craiglist is BEAST when it comes to getting gear... I have three complete sets of weights (way more than I need) that I got for free after some health club shut down and I was the first one there in response to the ad... I got my bench w/leg press for $20 from some dude that bought it and stopped using it after a month. He just wanted it out of his house.

I think I'd lose concentration in a gym... or at least be too self conscious. I dig it at home 'cause I can listen to my own shitty music and be in the company of my cats.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
i got a bow flex off craigs and it's ok but i probably should have gotten a proper weight setup. i definitely prefer working out in the gym. less likely to get interrupted before i'm done and gives me an excuse to ride my bike.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
skateboarding IS my gym

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
I'm at an age where sitting for 10 minutes can cause rapid weight gain.

this.  i go to my work gym sometimes because it's convenient, and a nice gym.  i work all the time so it's hard for me to get free time to be active (skating included) so i try to squeeze it in.  i'm bicycling to work now, which really fucking helps.  at the gym i'm not doing shit to try and get big, just stay fit.  core stuff and shit like that

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
I just got a bowflex treadclimber, shit is a workout from hell just walking!  I ride a fixie 3 times a week and try and use the treadclimber every morning for 20 minutes, get my stamina and knee back.  Skated saturday for 2 hours and felt it 3 days afterward.  ACL surgery worked me over a couple years back.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »
This thread is all serious and shit.

I just farted.

You're welcome.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
I just got a job offer to be a crossfit trainer.  It's pretty expensive to get certified and I am not where I need to be, physically, to train others but it pays really well and the gym is owned by a friend.  Never thought I'd have something like this on the table but I am considering it.

Cross fit and boot camp will get anybody into shape.  That shit is super tough and is also trendy right now as well... at least in my neck of the woods.  Might be worth it to get certified.  I took 3 months of it at an MMA training facility last spring and was in the best shape of my life.  

got that p90x thing for free and i'm going to give it a shot. i'm not over weight, but i'm out of shape. i think being in decent shape is pretty essential if you want to prolong your ability to skate into your older years.

P90X is pretty hard core.  The parent company that does P90X comes across as really corny but most of the programs are really good.  I've done Insanity and really like it.  You can just do it at home, no weights, just you and your body weight.  I don't do the full program (6 days a week) anymore.  I just do the 3 most advanced discs every week in the mornings to stay in shape.

The older  I get, the more beneficial I find exercising.  At 37, I don't get to skate nearly as much as I'd like.

charles_vier

• Rep: 1
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
Personally found it challenging balancing school, skating, and gym. Focused more on lifting and school...so skating has been on the back burner. I encourage anyone who has been curious with working out to hit the gym.

Stanley Hol

• Rep: -9
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote
I just started going again about 3 weeks ago. I don't really dig the atmosphere so much but once i get out of my head and start working it feels damn good. I also do hatha yoga a few days a week too. I can't get down with a cardio machine, I run outside on and off regardless of the weather and ride my bike as well.

Really, if you can ride like 20 or 30 miles a day on a bike four or 5 days a week, especially a track/fixed gear, your entire body will get worked harder than from what can go down at the gym.
[close]

Unless you're a bike courier or unemployed - no one has the time to ride '20 or 30 miles a day, four or five days a week' on a fixed bike simply for fitness reasons. That's why there's a gym.

Real Life.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
A buddy of mine did p90x and Insanity and lost about 40 lbs so far, and he's doing some crossfit stuff now. He doesn't skate, but in general it seems to be pretty effective. Personally, I just do a bit of free weights and bike riding outside of skating. I'm 24, but I've already noticed if I don't get some exercise outside of skating I'm a bit uneasy when I step on my board.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

bee

• Rep: -13
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »
If anything I'd do stretches more than lifting weights
I always get super tired super fast when I'm packing on muscle
protein shakes after a session is good enough for me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
I never really thought going to the gym helped my skating until later in life.  When you're fat, you don't skate, and if you're lazy, you don't rehab.  It's not for everyone though, but I think as you get older you  need to balance out your physical activity beyond just skateboarding in order to keep doing it for a long time. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
A buddy of mine did p90x and Insanity and lost about 40 lbs so far, and he's doing some crossfit stuff now. He doesn't skate, but in general it seems to be pretty effective. Personally, I just do a bit of free weights and bike riding outside of skating. I'm 24, but I've already noticed if I don't get some exercise outside of skating I'm a bit uneasy when I step on my board.

I have mixed feelings to the whole P90X thing. I know some people that have done it and have looked into it, and really, it's just very intense workouts for 90 days. There's nothing super new or revolutionary about it. They just say "muscle confusion" which is a good buzz word for "change up your workouts so you don't plateau." And that's advice that personal trainers have been giving for years.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
Personally found it challenging balancing school, skating, and gym. Focused more on lifting and school...so skating has been on the back burner. I encourage anyone who has been curious with working out to hit the gym.

this is the dumbest shit ever. get off slap. unless its sarcasm, then good job
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

trolltoll

• Rep: -3
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
crazy...i been doing the p90x thing for two weeks now and hadn't been skating because i've been too sore and plus working all the time but i went fuck around yesterday after doing the stretch exercise and was doing a lot of tricks with no problems. actually felt my treflips getting higher so yeah i should have started working out a lot sooner but always thought it would be gay. now...definitely worth it.

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
I'm definitely surprised at the amount of positive feedback this thread is getting. I've always had a problem with paying money to exercise. Why run on a treadmill when you can run outside in the fresh air for free? I hate running, but the same goes for bicycles which I've been hitting up for the "getting old" reason.

Also, New York winters are usually too cold to really skate, but this year I found a stretch of asphalt without salt and sand all over it and started a "push switch" regimen. If it was 35 degrees or warmer, I'd rock some thermal layers and hit it up. I wound up pushing over 100 miles and my switch is noticeably more comfortable. Stoked.

b.v.

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
I never really thought going to the gym helped my skating until later in life.  When you're fat, you don't skate, and if you're lazy, you don't rehab.  It's not for everyone though, but I think as you get older you  need to balance out your physical activity beyond just skateboarding in order to keep doing it for a long time. 
This is dead on. I tried skating more to keep in shape and it doesn't work as well when you age.  A mix of exercises and it's easier on your joints too. My body wont let me skate that much. I'm good for about 2 hours at a time and then my knee swells.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
i go but simply for the hoes

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »
Expand Quote

I think I'd lose concentration in a gym... or at least be too self conscious. I dig it at home 'cause I can listen to my own shitty music and be in the company of my cats.
[close]

You totally just admitted to Jazzercise.

godammit

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I just started going again about 3 weeks ago. I don't really dig the atmosphere so much but once i get out of my head and start working it feels damn good. I also do hatha yoga a few days a week too. I can't get down with a cardio machine, I run outside on and off regardless of the weather and ride my bike as well.

Really, if you can ride like 20 or 30 miles a day on a bike four or 5 days a week, especially a track/fixed gear, your entire body will get worked harder than from what can go down at the gym.
[close]

sarcasm should be educated anyways. when was the last time you consistently rode a bike?

ride a fixed gear, fuck even a single speed, and you're working the whole body. legs, abs, chest, arms, shoulders, back. You can't stop pedaling on a fixed gear- there is no coasting- you will be pedaling the entire time you are riding. Uphill, downhill, flat, wherever. This means that you have to use your legs to control the rotations of the crank or how often the pedals go around. If you're bombing down a hill you've got to use hella power in from your upper legs to keep that shit in check otherwise you'll lose control and if your feet come out of the cage, there's no going back in. Because you can't switch gears to help getting up even a slight incline you've got to get out of the saddle and use upper body leverage (that's why a lot of cats riding fixies have reverse drop bars or bull horn bars, there's something to pull back with), this works your arms, shoulders, chest, abs.

this isn't heavy lifting, but it's working with your own body weight and then some. Riding a bike with gears, which i'm not knocking because i've got a sick Surly Cross Check with a triple ring for touring/camping, isn't so much of a workout. The gears can be used to lessen the amount of energy the body needs to expend, whereas with a fixed gear the ride is mostly dependent on the stamina and strength of the rider.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Unless you're a bike courier or unemployed - no one has the time to ride '20 or 30 miles a day, four or five days a week' on a fixed bike simply for fitness reasons. That's why there's a gym.

how much times does one spend during one session at the gym? including driving there, getting ready, working out, showering, driving home, etc? A good work out and all that is going to take at least 2 hours. Any less than that is a waste.

20 miles can easily be ridden in less than an hour, and again, it's a full body workout.

and

aside from the workout, riding a bike is fun as fuck. 

b.v.

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Unless you live somewhere it rains/snows 1/4 of the year.