Author Topic: Jenkem interviews J Strickland  (Read 9395 times)

HATE!

Jenkem interviews J Strickland
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »
Another excellent interview in Jenkem and Strickland is keeping it real as fuck.  Love it when people go no holds barred and speak honestly.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/03/19/hijinx-with-j-strickland/

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jenkem interviews J Strickland
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Can't wait to read this.  I'm work and the site is blocked >:(

J.Peterman

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
"I need $10,000 for the footage, or I?m gonna throw it in the river"

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
Damn Jenkem is killin it so hard.  It's so refreshing hearing someone SPEAK THEIR FUCKING MIND too.  I'm stoked to see what's gonna come with LE also, I think they're off to a good start, and started for the right reasons.  Fun not money.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
So very conflicted , love the boss , but seems dude fucked Strickland over so bad ...

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »
I like J, but when he spoke at the end about LE and how he hopes it does super well but he just wants to be on the outside kind of sounds like he's setting himself up to be pissed at those dudes if they move to a different thing but keep using the same branding style. Kind of like Baker, without the rumored backstabbing Boss stuff.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »
I picture him as that crazy metal dude'doyaknowwhatimean' right before mcdermotts part in supper's ready. Awesome and kinda insane. I do love his style aesthetically and especially the audio shit, even with the LE promo the mood was set so clearly with the minimal sound and timing.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
J strickland is skateboarding's batman.

reynolds is the hero the kids want, but J is the hero they need.

Reggie Dunlop

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
I appreciate the honesty but this drama is over 10 years old. The logo is good, we get it. Lotta companies had cool logos and didn't make it. Get over it. Andrew Reynolds sells boards. Not that logo. Strickland hasn't done shit down Carlsbad. He has nothing to to with Jim Greco and how he skates. If he was supposed to have a piece of Baker, he should have got it in writing. And I stress 'supposed to.' He should take Reynolds to court if he was so wronged. Bootleg had same style logo, same derelict image, same ads, same editing... and it didn't last. And now he is taking the same retread approach to LE.  

I love Baker 2G. In my top 3. Iconic video. Great music, different (for then) look, but the skating is why kids wore the tape out. Not the elephants. If you are such a visionary, do something new.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
I appreciate the honesty but this drama is over 10 years old. The logo is good, we get it. Lotta companies had cool logos and didn't make it. Get over it. Andrew Reynolds sells boards. Not that logo. Strickland hasn't done shit down Carlsbad. He has nothing to to with Jim Greco and how he skates. If he was supposed to have a piece of Baker, he should have got it in writing. And I stress 'supposed to.' He should take Reynolds to court if he was so wronged. Bootleg had same style logo, same derelict image, same ads, same editing... and it didn't last. And now he is taking the same retread approach to LE.  

I love Baker 2G. In my top 3. Iconic video. Great music, different (for then) look, but the skating is why kids wore the tape out. Not the elephants. If you are such a visionary, do something new.

oh come on.

i really doubt J is calling these people and asking them to interview him. he did one of the most influential things in skateboarding since jamie's welcome to hell part, and it's obviously still relevant. saying "get over it" holds a weak argument.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
yeah you gotta give J some credit. baker3 probably had better skating but ill always like baker2g 100 times more. i was kinda hoping the shake junt video would fill the void baker3 left, but it was worse

Baker Skateboards Bootleg 3000 Promo

Reggie Dunlop

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
He didn't turn down the interview either. It's a cool website but it's not exactly Thrasher yet. None of the major outlets want to hear the same sob story. Maybe instead of 'get over it' the theme should be 'move on.' The look and feel of Baker was fresh and new in 2000. I watched it a million times.  But the reason it is the success it is can't be denied. The skating. Strickland is talented. I hope he has success. But when he goes through this same song and dance every time someone speaks to him, I don't think it's a weak arguement to say get over it or move on.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
None of the major outlets want to hear the same sob story. Maybe instead of 'get over it' the theme should be 'move on.'

Yeah... That sucks what happened. Theres definitely another side to the story.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
He doesn't give a fuck, I respect him. The whole early period of baker was so sick. The video, the ads, boards, were so awesome.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Skateboarding needs more people like this guy. Glad he's involved in the industry again. and honestly, I'm starting to like LE. it's really growing on me.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Fuck that was great.

Regardless of anyone's opinion about the business stuff, Strix is the shit! We skated until we were hurting during Mardi Gras, dude's nice as fuck and a creative machine.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
None of the major outlets want to hear the same sob story. Maybe instead of 'get over it' the theme should be 'move on.'
[close]

i think that's part of why everybody is interested in the story. reynolds and co. won't talk about it on their own, and any of the big magazines wouldn't dare ask him. aside from boil the ocean, YWS, jenkem, and others, skateboarding is so incestuous they wouldn't dare do something like ask the other side about it. the only other outlet that asks anything considered a "tough" question is epicly later'd, and reynolds is o'dell's boss.  that shit ain't happening any time soon.

Reggie Dunlop

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i think that's part of why everybody is interested in the story. reynolds and co. won't talk about it on their own, and any of the big magazines wouldn't dare ask him. aside from boil the ocean, YWS, jenkem, and others, skateboarding is so incestuous they wouldn't dare do something like ask the other side about it. the only other outlet that asks anything considered a "tough" question is epicly later'd, and reynolds is o'dell's boss.  that shit ain't happening any time soon.

It's the same story over and over. Though I keep reading them. I agree with you about the media. I love Epicly Laterd but O'Dell is not going to ask any rough stuff. In the Antwuan episodes, he was pretty sheepish when he tried asking Reynolds about the Baker image promoting substance abuse. He backed right off after Andrew gave the kinda BS answer. Just like this Danny Way doc won't go into the Josh Swindell stuff.

Reggie Dunlop

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »

. aside from boil the ocean, YWS, jenkem, and others, skateboarding is so incestuous they wouldn't dare do something like ask the other side about it. the only other outlet that asks anything considered a "tough" question is epicly later'd, and reynolds is o'dell's boss.  that shit ain't happening any time soon.
[/quote]

To be fair to O'Dell and the main 'outlets,' Jenkem didn't really ask Strickland any tough questions either. It just gave him a forum to rant. I liked it.

Harem

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
yeah you gotta give J some credit. baker3 probably had better skating but ill always like baker2g 100 times more. i was kinda hoping the shake junt video would fill the void baker3 left, but it was worse

[close]

i have this on VHS.  it came in an order from active mailorder.  it's a 5 minute tape and it confused the fuck out of me when i was younger.

it's probably gonna be worth some dough someday

HALLAH AT ME.

Does someone have a link to his BOOTLEG SIDE B REMIX part? Holy shit that was dope.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »

. aside from boil the ocean, YWS, jenkem, and others, skateboarding is so incestuous they wouldn't dare do something like ask the other side about it. the only other outlet that asks anything considered a "tough" question is epicly later'd, and reynolds is o'dell's boss.  that shit ain't happening any time soon.

To be fair to O'Dell and the main 'outlets,' Jenkem didn't really ask Strickland any tough questions either. It just gave him a forum to rant. I liked it.
[/quote]

yeah, you're right. i guess what i failed to say is that reynolds is never going to interview with someone like YWS or jenkem because they WILL ask about stuff like that. the j strickland side is the only side we'll get, because it's been ignored by the other side for so long they can't really deny it without it coming off as complete bullshit.

wigs

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »

this. j. strickland seems like a cool dude in that video, but there is no denying that baker's success comes through them ripping the fuck out of shit. i understand that it is really fucked up how he got screwed over, but the company image isn't what is selling the company. little kids don't give a fuck about ad layouts, video editing and lifestyle footage, they care about dudes (and women) doing gnarly shit and that is exactly what baker provides. at the end of the day, i feel bad if this dude legitimately got fucked over, but i really think the skating of the baker dudes is what sells the company at the end of the day. also, i don't understand how this dude is mad as fuck about not getting any credit for his "dues" and then he talks shit about shane heyl getting a board...

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:25 AM »
Of course the skating is what matters most, but you're a damn fool if you think image doesn't matter. Baker is one of the most image conscious brands in the industry. Weed graphics sell. Hijinks sell. Stupidity sells. If the success of a company only depended on the skating Bootleg would still be around on the strength of this part alone:
Scott Kane
If only the skateboarding mattered then every kid at your local park should know who every person on Think is, but I assure you they do not.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

qwertypoiuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:24 AM »

business should be settled based on what you can do down the carlsbad gap? for the whole "take him to court" thing...you have any idea how expensive that is? do you really think that two friends that create a skateboard company in the late 90s were putting shit in writing? go read http://www.48blocks.com/gershon/ for some more interesting stories about "the boss"

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »
If I will ever do art, I want to do it like J does.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »
"Like when I look at Baker now, it?s like, I never wanted Baker to be that big. It was supposed to just be the illest dudes and now it?s like, Shane Heyl is pro for Baker.. "

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have this on VHS.  it came in an order from active mailorder.  it's a 5 minute tape and it confused the fuck out of me when i was younger.

thats awesome. i always wondered how they released it. i think i found it on irc the first time i saw it

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thats awesome. i always wondered how they released it. i think i found it on irc the first time i saw it

They also had that promo in the Baker summer tour 2001.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

Status Update

• Rep: 9
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
J Strickland is full of shit. 

He quit Baker cause Andrew/Jim/Eric wouldn't pay him the $80,000 a year he demanded. 
He was an Art Director/Team Manager.  And if they paid him that much (far more than any of the pros were getting)
the company would have gone out of business. 

Not only that, he was art directing for Baker, and then started Bootleg on the side, which Andrew/Jim/Erik/Dusin had
no ownership over.  He basically worked for one company and then formed a competitor using the same art and graphics,
thus hurting Baker when kids bought a Bootleg board instead.  But Jay got paid from both brands.

Any company in the world would fire you for that.  But he didn't even get fired, he quit.  (I believe he was caught stealing as well)

He is a double dipping, leaching, con-man.

If you look at the Baker/Deathwish roster you can see that Andrew etc is loyal.  They haven't kicked any of their long term riders off. 
And they are always hooking up more and more people. 

When you design a Spitfire flame you don't get to own Spitfire, when you design an Indy cross, you don't own Indy. 

But when you put your neck on the line and invest all your money into starting a brand, you own the company, which is what Andrew did.

end rant. 8)

drowe1

• Rep: -16
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
J Strickland is full of shit.? 

He quit Baker cause Andrew/Jim/Eric wouldn't pay him the $80,000 a year he demanded.? 
He was an Art Director/Team Manager.?  And if they paid him that much (far more than any of the pros were getting)
the company would have gone out of business.? 

Not only that, he was art directing for Baker, and then started Bootleg on the side, which Andrew/Jim/Erik/Dusin had
no ownership over.?  He basically worked for one company and then formed a competitor using the same art and graphics,
thus hurting Baker when kids bought a Bootleg board instead.?  But Jay got paid from both brands.

Any company in the world would fire you for that.?  But he didn't even get fired, he quit.?  (I believe he was caught stealing as well)

He is a double dipping, leaching, con-man.

If you look at the Baker/Deathwish roster you can see that Andrew etc is loyal.?  They haven't kicked any of their long term riders off.? 
And they are always hooking up more and more people.? 

When you design a Spitfire flame you don't get to own Spitfire, when you design an Indy cross, you don't own Indy.? 

But when you put your neck on the line and invest all your money into starting a brand, you own the company, which is what Andrew did.

end rant. 8)

This is right on from what ive heard.