Author Topic: Some kid does a 1080  (Read 8712 times)

Spike Hawke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Re: Some kid does a 1080
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
Shaun White, successfully turning skateboarding into snowboarding since 2009.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
how the f did a 12 y/o get access to skate a damn mega ramp?!?!?!  I remember having to sign multi-page liability waivers at that age just to get into indoor park with max. 8 foot ramps.  Just goes to show how accomplishing things in this world is so often determined by social status rather than talent or ambition.

Are you saying that a kid doing 1080s is lacking those things?

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
Expand Quote
how the f did a 12 y/o get access to skate a damn mega ramp?!?!?!  I remember having to sign multi-page liability waivers at that age just to get into indoor park with max. 8 foot ramps.  Just goes to show how accomplishing things in this world is so often determined by social status rather than talent or ambition.
[close]

Good question. It is kinda insane how far people will go to sound dismissive of this.

The kid did a fucking 1080 people, grow a fucking heart.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2012, 01:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good question. It is kinda insane how far people will go to sound dismissive of this.

I think it goes down like this, kid pulled a legit 1080 (720's were first done to fakie, and I'm pretty sure only a very small handful of people have ever done 720's to fakie), but it was on a megaramp, making the feat different than Tony's 900 on a regular ass vert ramp before anybody had done it, but still, there are plenty of dudes with access to the megaramp who haven't done it. Of course, those with access to a megaramp are connected in some way. That kid may be talented, but there is a creepy sort of olympic athlete training deal going on with him. That kid was raised into skating and had a lot of privilege in the skate industry for sure if he's not just skating, but sessioning the megaramp at his age.
The kid's good, but had a lot of parental help that even 1980's Tony Hawk didn't have in skating.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

foureyedjim

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »
Sadly, I see a very boring skate career ahead of him.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2012, 06:03:55 AM »
looks like he one upped the self props game too

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think it goes down like this, kid pulled a legit 1080 (720's were first done to fakie, and I'm pretty sure only a very small handful of people have ever done 720's to fakie), but it was on a megaramp, making the feat different than Tony's 900 on a regular ass vert ramp before anybody had done it, but still, there are plenty of dudes with access to the megaramp who haven't done it. Of course, those with access to a megaramp are connected in some way. That kid may be talented, but there is a creepy sort of olympic athlete training deal going on with him. That kid was raised into skating and had a lot of privilege in the skate industry for sure if he's not just skating, but sessioning the megaramp at his age.
The kid's good, but had a lot of parental help that even 1980's Tony Hawk didn't have in skating.
You must have never heard of Tony's father, Frank Hawk

"Frank Hawk, realizing that the sport had virtually saved his son, became the ultimate skateboard supporter and Tony Hawk's numberone fan. He began by driving Hawk to and from competitions all over the state of California, and soon became even more involved. In 1980, dissatisfied by the quality of the competitions and the lack of sponsoring organizations, Frank Hawk founded the California Amateur Skateboard League (CASL). Three years later, in 1983, he established the National Skateboarding Association (NSA), the first professional skateboarding organization of its kind. Ultimately the high-profile events put on by the NSA were credited with boosting the popularity of skateboarding in the 1980s"

(taken from here)
http://www.notablebiographies.com/news/Ge-La/Hawk-Tony.html#b
ableSkateMag.com

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This kid diffidently has talent and ambition but his parents are 100% the reason he is as good as he is. He comes from a very wealthy family that has been making him take skate lessons from a very young age and they even built him his own vert ramp in his backyard among many other things that they have done for him. This kid is now talking about how he wants to do a 1260 and he probably will do it but is this really the direction mega-ramp skating should go in? It's just a matter of time till Shawn white starts skating the mega ramp and we just start to see his snowboard tricks on the mega ramp.