Author Topic: HELP with a San Francisco trip in summer  (Read 7699 times)

SwiftFootedBird

HELP with a San Francisco trip in summer
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Hi guise. I'll try to be brief. I've booked a three week english course at SF and, therefore, three weeks in a residence in downtown. I've never been abroad, and as you can see my english needs a little push. All I actually want is to skate tranny as much as possible, so here is where questions start:

+ would it be possible for any local (if you are/know any or know any way to contact them) to give me an extra week under a roof (I can pay my own lunch meanwhile) which would be somewhere between 7th and 14th of July?
+ if not, would Double Rock let me in for that week? (I don't mind sleeping on the couch. that would be pretty awesome in fact) could I contact them or something without being afraid of having to sleep in the streets for a week?

- no problem if just skating from dowtown to potrero, or will cops kick my ass?
- any places to avoid? (like really raw places, some dude told me about guns and assaults near double rock)
- is crocker amazon worth at least a try?
- does DLXSF sell directly or something? if not, cheapest skateshop over there?
- potrero del sol gets crowded in summer, doesnt it? if so, at what time does it start to clear up?
- Is there an open war against rollers/bikers? can you tell a kid to gtfo of your way?

I'll give you more questions as I think about them. I accept any suggestions/whatever you want to tell me, specially concerning my acquaitance with the languaje.

randumb data about me: I'm from spain. 19. Yes, I'm kinda poor, but I think I'll have enough to eat for a couple of weeks. Yes, my english still sucks a bit. No, my oral skills are better than the average spaniard's ones. Yes, I want to pivot to fakie the shit out of that brick qp at potrero. Yes, I do suck at street, so I wont probably see many of those famous spots.

Thanks in advance.

lem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: HELP with a San Francisco trip in summer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
+ if not, would Double Rock let me in for that week? (I don't mind sleeping on the couch. that would be pretty awesome in fact) could I contact them or something without being afraid of having to sleep in the streets for a week?

You could, I've never been there nor have I heard anything about people asking to crash there if they aren't pals with anyone at Thrasher or a pro or something.

- no problem if just skating from dowtown to potrero, or will cops kick my ass?

If you're being ridiculous like fucking with traffic, yes. Otherwise, skating like a normal human being, you'll be fine.

- any places to avoid? (like really raw places, some dude told me about guns and assaults near double rock)

Double Rock is in/near Hunter's Point, a bonafide bad place. Also downtown, the tenderloin is not the safest at night. In the day it's "somewhat" sketchy (Homeless, thugs, crackheads), but I wouldn't be there at night.

- is crocker amazon worth at least a try?

Sure. Never been because I don't have a car and don't feel like MUNI'ing out there, but that might be somewhere to go.

- does DLXSF sell directly or something? if not, cheapest skateshop over there?

Yes, DLXSF is an actual skateshop. Probably the cheapest too.

- potrero del sol gets crowded in summer, doesnt it? if so, at what time does it start to clear up?

Morning. That's about it. It'll be crowded by noon until the lights go off.

- Is there an open war against rollers/bikers? can you tell a kid to gtfo of your way?

I don't even recall seeing an actual roller blader in the city.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
interesting information... my residence is called "downtown residence" so I assumed it was going to be over there, but, whatever.

thanks, bud!

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
interesting information... my residence is called "downtown residence" so I assumed it was going to be over there, but, whatever.

thanks, bud!

I doubt the place is actually called downtown residence. They probably have a location downtown, or will get one downtown once you head out.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
the TL is the best place ever
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:36:26 AM »
Curso Completo + Alojamiento en Residencia Downtown (ver fotos)

the previous place was called Summer Hotel SF and, doubting there's a place called summer I guessed they named like that the other one, but, could be referred to the location actually, dunno.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
I think all of those answers are good. I don't think hunter's point would be a great place to stay for a tourist, unless you never left double rock. I have no idea about staying there though. Best bet might be to try and talk to phelper at potrero.

I'm pretty shit at transition and skating in general but I would be down to meet. I should be in the area by then. PM me.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:47:27 AM »
nos, when are you coming down to SF?

love,
kilgore
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
I can guarantee that there's pretty much no chance of staying at Double Rock, and you don't want to stay in that area anyway. And cold calling Phelps about anything doesn't really ever elicit more than an insult, but hey, what have you got to lose?

I don't have a place to offer, but pm me when you're here and I might be able to skate if you want.

Morning. That's about it. It'll be crowded by noon until the lights go off.

I don't even recall seeing an actual roller blader in the city.

As far as this stuff goes, I don't recall ever seeing a biker/blader at Potrero and it gets really busy really quick. It's designed so that pretty much everything flows into the same space, and it's hard to get more than one person doing a run at a time. Basically it's morning and that's it.

Also, it attracts a weird crowd sometimes and I don't recommend starting shit with anyone as a tourist, biker/blader or not. And c'mon man, just manners.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
I can guarantee that there's pretty much no chance of staying at Double Rock, and you don't want to stay in that area anyway. And cold calling Phelps about anything doesn't really ever elicit more than an insult, but hey, what have you got to lose?

I don't have a place to offer, but pm me when you're here and I might be able to skate if you want.

Also, it attracts a weird crowd sometimes and I don't recommend starting shit with anyone as a tourist, biker/blader or not. And c'mon man, just manners.

lol ok, no double rock, i was just wondering. I had read something about you being around frisco but didnt want to bother or anything with petty "hurrr durrrr halp meeeh" PMs. anyways, thanks a lot for the info, you guys help me more than it probably looks like.

and the thing about bikes/bladers was because here, in spain, ist krieg. chances are you tell a blader not to wax the coping and a second later, either there's 15 of them going to smack your shit or there's one provoking you until you simply explode. that's when you arrive later than them: if they're the ones arriving first to the park, you're fucked cos everything is 250% waxed, no matter what you bring to unwax the place. bikers (usually 10-30 crowd of roided gym fucks) simply get in your way until an old rat smacks their shit.

GLAD to know there's no such thing in SF. will probably content with the three week thing to keep the budget fit, and will PM you when shit gets closer (I am supposed to be there by July 14th in the morning)

and thanks again  :D

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
"hurrr durrrr halp meeeh"

Sounds like your English is already off to a good start.

and thanks again  :D

No prob. Also, I hear this place is pretty good for a cheap downtown visit.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »
I've seen a biker at Potrero. He came a couple of times, and got up in people's faces when they told him he had to leave. I told him, and a couple of the other more mellow locals told him back then. He didn't listen. We all joked about what would happen if he came when somebody "less polite"  was there. It happened one night. He got the shit broken out of his nose and was bleeding everywhere. He tried to ride for a minute, but pretty much everybody at the park taunted him about his bloody ass face. Then he called the cops, but the perp was gone by the time they arrived. He never has been back since. I have seen a couple other guys doing the early morning routine before anybody got there.
Bladers can be seen in the city from time to time, but its usually like one dude all by himself and not waxing anything, and for some reason a mixture of pity and respect comes over most people when they see that sad soul
The thing is though, if you are on a skateboard at that park, you are down, and don't have to worry about locals at all, aside from collisions
Here's some other info for you-
there's another park called the dish, its in hunter's point, and apparently people get jacked up there all the time. I've never been fucked with there, but apparently it happens all the time.
There are HELLA backyard/warehouse ramps and bowls in Oakland
Deluxe sells dlx decks for like $45. That's cheap even by California skateshop standards. The dudes who work there are super cool too.
Crocker is fun if you don't expect too much from it. Its basically a weird bowl that fades to nothing.
The flowershop is sick, but they've gotten more and more protective of it as time has gone by. When I left the city if you showed up with a bag of weed or a case of beer you were in.
Take the bart from downtown to 24th street, then go east and you'll be at potrero. There are super fun brick banks that have been in a bunch of videos there
Also sick brick banks- China banks. You may not want to do street stuff, but if you are a tranny dude in SF, at least carve a bench
Most of the good parks are in the east bay and san jose. If you can get out of town some good parks are:
Berkeley
Richmond
Sunnyvale (one of the bag of suck montages was filmed there)
Benicia (new park, old is cool, but I think gone)
Fairfield
The free San Jose park with the two bowls
Redwood city is pretty fun
That one park that is technically a rollerblade park and has hella spines in it
Santa Rosa
Petaluma
San Rafael
There's a bunch more I'm sure I'm forgetting too. By the end of my time in the bay area I was mostly a tranny skater. Too bad bordertown and wastelands are gone!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
^I had the sketchiest thing happen to me at the dish. I was skating it by myself on a zip zinger and these guys started fighting pit bull puppies. Basically two 250 pound guys showing a younger kid how the dogs fight in order to sell him one. I am tripping out a little but keep skating because I had made quite trek to get there. One of the dogs run right toward me and then the guys start running right at me yelling at me to grab the dog. I was in a moment where I could run and get my ass possibly kicked by some scary looking dudes or grab the dog so I grab the dog. Once my hands are on it I realize it is covered in blood and as they approach me I decided to book it. I couldn't hold the dog bleeding just to hand it to these guys. I let it go. I saw them catch it as I skated off, bombed a hill and got out of there. I called animal control but they didn't see them and I called back the next day. I narrowed down which house they came from to 5 different houses but they never really looked into it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:22:45 AM by happenstance »

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:46 AM »
wow, thanks a lot for the info, gipper. Here, either they smack your face in seconds or you are able to kick their ass but you dont want to since you wanna be a teacher (and when I say you I mean me; there's not much more to do than teaching after studying classics).

most probably my only actual chance of going outta town is either meeting a local who's up for giving me a ride to sunnyvale or anywhere else (this happens a lot here) or just paying for a bus ride, if there's any. but yeah, I have in mind going at least once to crocker amazon and Ive been told many times not to mess with hunters point, either for the dish or double rock (ive obv never been to frisco but i guess theyre more or less close). double rock looks too slick and the dish, correct me if wrong, looks kinda boring, although im not any beast at tranny. the brick qp at potrero will most probably seduce me.

What I really hope is that the residence lets me come back kinda late, at least an hour after the sun goes down, but since they offer nigh activities and such (im not into that) theyll probably let me.

And for happenstance, well, I live in spain, so I used to see that kind of shit all the fucking time (not necessarily involving animals, but even with animals too), so I guess I wont appear by there. My right shoulder keeps popping out of its place and I'll probaly need surgery for it, so I dont think I could correctly defend myself.

thanks again buds.

edit: what about public transportation between the city and the airport?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:09:18 AM by SwiftFootedBird »

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 04:50:04 AM »
sfo to dt is about at $60 cab fare. i'm not sure how much the bart is.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:40 AM »
Maybe spend some time in berkeley, a shitload of less sketchy shit, and one of my personal favorite skateparks, also lit up. the beginning sequence in corpsey's part in krooked kronichles is filmed there. another reason i say berkeley is because all the hippies would be glad to help a foreigner.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:08:26 AM by gutterhead. »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
Berkeley is my town and while I will say I feel a lot safer there we actually have higher crime stats than SF last time I checked. It is a small city in between two more dangerous cities (Oakland and Richmond) and people get mugged here all the time. I have never been robbed in person but have had my bike stolen, parts off my car stolen and my house broken into (they stole my laptop and backpack along with my four roommate's laptops).

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
Bart is like $8 and drops you off at the terminal. Gettng to the Airport in SF is easy.
Berkeley definitely has its sketchiness, I've seen a couple kids get their ass kicked and robbed there.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
fuck, I suck at robberies: my right shoulder is 75% useless. I'll luckily be carrying my board basically everywhere. Does the beard + messy hair combo have any effect? (here ppl tend not to mess with wolverine/Puleo-like dudes)

I just hope it doesnt get too sketchy right after sunset or any crazy shit. Wont probably party at night or maybe just a couple times.

I read about the bart somewhere when booking the course and I'll surely use it. Fuck cabs and fuck their chance of booking a pick-up from the airport. I'd rather walk to the city.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
You will be fine. The risk of sketchy shit happening exists everywhere and at all times. Fuck limiting your life because of it. It is a significantly safer here than it is in a lot of other places I have traveled.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
You will be fine. The risk of sketchy shit happening exists everywhere and at all times. Fuck limiting your life because of it. It is a significantly safer here than it is in a lot of other places I have traveled.

I tip off my hat.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
fuck, I suck at robberies: my right shoulder is 75% useless. I'll luckily be carrying my board basically everywhere. Does the beard + messy hair combo have any effect? (here ppl tend not to mess with wolverine/Puleo-like dudes)

I just hope it doesnt get too sketchy right after sunset or any crazy shit. Wont probably party at night or maybe just a couple times.

I read about the bart somewhere when booking the course and I'll surely use it. Fuck cabs and fuck their chance of booking a pick-up from the airport. I'd rather walk to the city.
That look will make you look like a hipster, and they aren't considered particularly tough. Its pretty rare to get robbed though. I lived in the bay long enough that if it was that common, my drunk ass would have been robbed like 3 times. People tend not to rob dudes on skateboards though, its just not worth it to chase a dude in the street when another dude might be walking right after that. Just my take on it.
And cabbies don't rob people in the U.S. Here they get robbed! You don't have to worry, some motherfuckers go slow routes, that's about it.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 02:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That look will make you look like a hipster, and they aren't considered particularly tough. Its pretty rare to get robbed though. I lived in the bay long enough that if it was that common, my drunk ass would have been robbed like 3 times. People tend not to rob dudes on skateboards though, its just not worth it to chase a dude in the street when another dude might be walking right after that. Just my take on it.
And cabbies don't rob people in the U.S. Here they get robbed! You don't have to worry, some motherfuckers go slow routes, that's about it.

nice to know. thanks!

edit: oh shit, forgot about the hipsterish thingy. I'm not into the hipster thing at all. the scruffy looks came from laziness and the horn-rimmed glasses (I think they're called like that; they suck when skating) have been with me for four years already (they were cheap, im kinda poor), although im looking forward to getting new non-hipsterish glasses by august. sucks that it all got fancy or whatever they've made with looking like that.

and yes, i maybe worried too much about the sketchy thing, mostly because a friend of mine who went in 2000 told me about a lot of shit going down, specially around hunters point. anyways the nearest town from mine is supposed to be as sketchy, and still nothing has happened to me in at least 2 years of skating there, so, whatever.

could you tell me, more or less, where the china banks are, and what should i know before going there? (apart from the fact that they look easier to skate than they sure as fuck are) I'd like to carve at least over a short bench.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:58:18 AM by SwiftFootedBird »

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
China Banks are on a walk bridge that goes over Kearney Street downtown/chinatown, in between Washington and Clay Streets. Some people claim it's a bust, but I've been there a few times during a weekday and never been hassled. Though I was running pretty soft quiet wheels. And yeah, they are harder to skate than they appear. It took me quite a while to get a carve over one of the shorter benches, but I hadn't really skated much in the 8 months prior to that, so I was a little rusty. Depending on what time of day/year you go, you might have to deal with tourists, bums, gawkers, or old Asian people. For the most part they'll probably leave you alone, I'd guess.

The city is a lot safer than people sometimes make it sound. Just be a bit more aware, is all. I hear and read tales of people getting jacked for their smartphones at Bart stations, but every time I'm at one or riding the Bart, people are obliviously using them like it ain't no thing. Use normal common city sense and you'll be fine.

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07:20 AM »
thanks bud, that info is always welcome. now let's see if the gov gives me my money, chico.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
Berkeley is my town and while I will say I feel a lot safer there we actually have higher crime stats than SF last time I checked. It is a small city in between two more dangerous cities (Oakland and Richmond) and people get mugged here all the time. I have never been robbed in person but have had my bike stolen, parts off my car stolen and my house broken into (they stole my laptop and backpack along with my four roommate's laptops).

that's whattup, my girlfriend and i grew up in union city, and she now goes to cal and lives off delaware and MLK, i'm out there all the time. shits tight.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
Anyone want to skate in two weeks?  I'm going to Berkeley to meet up with this chick but I will try and escape from her room to go skate either Saturday and/or Sunday (June 2/3).  I'm not that great but would like to skate 3rd and Army, the spots near Embarcadero, and maybe Fort Miley.  I'd really like to check out Huf's shop too.  Also, I'm not really that familiar with a good hilly part of the city but saw on a few maps that Sunset is a nice area for cruising.  I'll defintely hit you back if you're ever in the Chicago area or buy you a couple beers.

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »
i don't believe huf's sf shop is there anymore, i could be wrong. let me know if you need directions to ft miley or 3rd and army or anything else.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
i don't believe huf's sf shop is there anymore, i could be wrong.

Nope, you're right.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
i don't believe huf's sf shop is there anymore, i could be wrong.
[close]

Nope, you're right.

Oh shit...thanks