Author Topic: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution  (Read 12827 times)

waltercronkite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
Re: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
what are the core shoe brands? I dont no these core shoe brands you all keep talking about. vox might be the only shoe i can think of that isnt in mall stores... is vox the only core shoe brand?

im seriously asking because you guys keep talking about core brands but no one is naming names

trannies and mannies

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
Dekline? Lakai? Emerica?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:42:06 PM by trannies and mannies »

Front Crooks

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Seems like Lakai makes some colorways that are only intended for Zumiez.  Probably just Vox and Dekline, and I'm not a big fan of their shoes.

Front Crooks

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
Notice the kostons don't say SB anymore.

So yeah they don't sell sbs at the mall.  But maybe none of the shoes say SB.

And how about the new boxes? Things are changing.

Which ones are you talking about?  I just saw the newest red Kostons and they say SB on the back.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
I edited my post since I don't think praxis is even out yet. What has emerica done for snowboarders?

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there anyone who doesn't think Birdo was right? I really wish the whole "don't do it" thing would take off... unfortunately money will buy pros. If pros aren't backing it, no one will care.
[close]

birdo was right, we got swooned. i used to think that dude was the worst until everything he said would happen, did.
[close]

Didn't they make a Nike Dunk rip-off shoe called the "Drunk" with Osiris, a very pro-core shop, anti-mall brand skate shoe company that specifically caters to skateboarding, and skateboarding only?

Expand Quote
[close]

is that who they did it with? i remember the shoe.  it was like a teal/black/white dunk high with a banana instead of the swoosh. i didn't know it was with osiris.
[close]
I don;t know if it was the point of the shoe, but it was the worst quality shoe i have ever seen

This one was the one they made with osiris....
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
Are the same ppl who keep saying fuck nike and buy core companies the same as was saying they hate osiris , adio , circa dekline , macbeth and so  on ?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
Dekline? Lakai? Emerica?

i can see dekline but i have seen highlighter color lakais at kohls or bobs if your familiar with bobs

anyone know how deklines are im willing to give em a shot because i know vox suck

BraveUlysses

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
Lakais at Kohl's? What the fuck?

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Dekline? Lakai? Emerica?
[close]

i can see dekline but i have seen highlighter color lakais at kohls or bobs if your familiar with bobs

anyone know how deklines are im willing to give em a shot because i know vox suck
Dekline are surprisingly good shoes, especially for the price. But they are very very thin. And I've had a couple pairs of vox and I didn't think they sucked, the soles died quick but so do all Sole Tech vulcs, and even Vans.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
lol you guys still think a pair of shoes makes you a better skater

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
lol you guys still think a pair of shoes makes you a better skater

yeah , kinda hurts to skate with no shoes

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
ayo yall already know my thoughts on nike but lemme say one thing

ITS A FUCKING PAIR OF SHOES!

so once toy machine starts making underwear yall gon start hatin on niggas who wear hanes instead? get the fuck outta here. i agree that you gotta support SOME core companies (being skater owned doesnt automatically make your product high quality) but at the end of the day its all about getting more bang for your buck. there are plenty of other ways to support said companies. heres an idea, since so many of yall wanna cry about companies losing money, how about you go out an actually buy those videos yall be so thirsty to download for free. how about you get some t-shirts or a hat or some shit. not every purchase you make has to be a "omg am i supporting the core companies!?" life & death decision. i buy boards and other hard goods from my local shop 90% of the time, and over the years i can definitely say ive played my part in supporting local businesses & core companies. at the same time im not gonna sacrifice my own well-being by buying some shoes made by a core company that fucking suck. not that they all do, but some of yall would rather rip thru shoes in 2 weeks while battling foot injuries just so you can say you support real skaters, then hate on somebody wearing Nikes or adidas because they're supposedly turning their back on the "real" skate companies. no bitch we wearin nikes cuz they make great skate shoes. period.

and if you gon be so damn anti-nike i better not hear shit about you tryna cop some vans, seeing as how they did the same shit nike did only decades earlier. at the end of the day the majority of you core niggas are just wannabe skateboard elitists who wanna act like you're more "legit" than everyone else. i aint tryna hear that shit b, especially when a large portion of yall dont even skate like that. in my own experience all of the guys that thirstily preach the core mentality usually suck, skate extremely slow, and have self-esteem issues. not that all of yall are like that but thats just how it is around here.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
it's about where you want your money to go, do you want it to go to skaters? or to corporations who are ONLY in it for the $$$? maybe the reason other core brands can't make better product is because we aren't supporting them????

someone likened it to indie vs. major labels the other day and i think it's a good comparison; i'd rather support indie labels who do it for the love (of course they make money too, nobody is arguing that) than support majors who are only bandwagon jumping. in the end, it is your hard-earned $$$ so spend it where you see fit but i don't think the nike debate is something that shouldn't happen though. major corporations cashing in on skateboarding (no matter how comfy their shoes are) should always be questioned/ criticized/ debated. if red bull started making skate decks (regardless of their quality) how many of you would buy them?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:15:28 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 09:55:43 PM »
it's about where you want your money to go, do you want it to go to skaters? or to corporations who are ONLY in it for the $$$? maybe the reason other core brands can't make better product is because we aren't supporting them????

someone likened it to indie vs. major labels the other day and i think it's a good comparison; i'd rather support indie labels who do it for the love (of course they make money too, nobody is arguing that) than support majors who are only bandwagon jumping. in the end, it is your hard-earned $$$ so spend it where you see fit but i don't think the nike debate should be something that ends; major corporations cashing in on skateboarding (no matter how comfy their shoes are) should always be questioned/ criticized/ debated.

every shoe company is trying to cash in on skateboarders, regardless if they're actually skateboarders or not. its not a matter of the shoes being comfortable its a matter of actual performance. i dont know about yall but my shoes and feet take a fucking beating when i skate and im making sure i get my moneys worth when it comes to footwear. im more concerned about my own longevity in skateboarding than some million dollar company. im not saying that all core companies dont make shoes as good as nikes, but just because a company is skater-owned doesnt automatically make the shoes worth wearing. i dont feel guilty about buying nikes cuz ive supported local shops & core brands more than i have to bigger corporations. itd be one thing if nike was on some straight mall-shoe shit but they came into the game the RIGHT way. they did their homework, got the right personnel (not just the team), and most importantly, consistently made shoes that perform very well, if not better than most. i still buy other brands of course but nike's quality always makes them a main option when it comes to buying new kicks. at the end of the day THEY'RE SHOES. its an article of clothing. not everything i wear has to be made by crailtap & sole-tech just because ima skateboarder.

honestly a lot of people just need to deal with the fact that skateboarding is getting larger and more organized. skateboarding is dope as fuck youd be stupid to think that over time it wouldnt get bigger & bigger and attract the attention of corporate america. im all down for supporting quality skater-based companies but automatically condemning larger corporations is just narrow-minded, especially when they put out better product than most. having that large financial backing is definitely a big part of that, but at least they put the money to good use. i mean come on Nike has practically an army of top-notch skaters with scuba steve as the TM. who else can pull that off? they've made their own place in skateboarding you dont have to support them but the super thirsty anti-Nike shit is just annoying and THAT itself just causes conflict & turns something we all love into an unnecessary game of politics

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »

someone likened it to indie vs. major labels the other day and i think it's a good comparison; i'd rather support indie labels who do it for the love (of course they make money too, nobody is arguing that) than support majors who are only bandwagon jumping. in the end, it is your hard-earned $$$ so spend it where you see fit but i don't think the nike debate should be something that "ends"; major corporations cashing in on skateboarding (no matter how comfy their shoes are) should always be questioned/ criticized/ debated.

i feel watch you sayin an imma let u finish but i'd rather support a major label with good artist who make good music than indie label with trash artist who make garbage music b.

WMG and Sony are major labels that gave us some classic music.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
thirsty anti-Nike shit is just annoying and THAT itself just causes conflict & turns something we all love into an unnecessary game of politics

you made some nice points (esp. liked that you recognized that the reason they can make the shoes that they do is because of their financial backing. then again this is also the reason WHY they can "acquire" whoever they like) BUT ^^^ why should we as skaters NOT debate the motivation of non-skate companies in our industry?
i reedited my post cuz it didn't read right but see my red bull example ;)
would you rock a red bull board?

i feel watch you sayin an imma let u finish but i'd rather support a major label with good artist who make good music than indie label with trash artist who make garbage music b.

WMG and Sony are major labels that gave us some classic music.

hahahahaha
different strokes for different folks i guess?
what about indie label with good artist AND good music  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:11:39 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
hahahahaha
different strokes for different folks i guess?
what about indie label with good artist AND good music  ::)

i'm down for that.

real talk. if some of these skate shoe companies would chill with the bmx, surf, moto x, lifestyle bullshit and put dat money into makin they skate division better i'd start fuckin wif mo companies.

DIRTWEED

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
All we have to do is look at specialty retail over history when it comes to categories nike wanted to enter- soccer, golf and running.

they came in a similar fashion talking about limited products for limited distribution, the exposed these sports to a broader consumer, brought in new consumers/participants, and then went and got them "hooked" on nike and in the end drove them to their own stores or larger sporting good chains they could sell cheaper products to at better margins.

straight up i have kept my mouth shut on nike because i know they kept a lot of shops open during some real shitty years...first when "core" brands expanded their distribution and left the specialty retailer looking for alternatives and then when the economy went to shit. these retailers could count on a few nike drops per month to keep the doors open. i get it. but now. BUT NOW i hope all these specialty retailers are looking at the wolf in sheep's clothing and rethinking their commitment to what is probably going to be the same brand that will be a driver of them finally having to close up shop. the "specialty" is gone. consumers will be able to buy skate models everywhere. same goes for vans. i wear vans almost 100%, but they are doing the same thing opening up their own doors on top of their specialty dealers. they dont care. they still do some specialty segments that drive a bit of biz, but in the end, their slitting throats too. cons never got their shit together to be a voice in this shoe discussion and adidas, for as ill as they are right now, dont know their head from their ass at the top of the company and will probably follow nike down some expanded distribution with the good shit once they see nike do it for 6 months...they've never been leaders in anything other than soccer and they got their asses handed to them there once nike decided they wanted that biz.

back to the "core" guys. most of the creative talent has been swooped from these brands. both in design and marketing. bigger checks, bigger budgets and bigger titles stole them away. so you got guys with little experience, 5-15 million dollar brands, and a core at all costs mentality running these og skate shoe brands. the thing is, the new gen of kids dont know any better. they dont know skate without nike, so core brands are preaching with fist in the air to a gen of kids that look at them as old men...which we kind of are.

in the end what am i writing all this for? cause our fate is sealed. dont hold on to old ideals. support companies and brands that make good product for your dollar, that return the favor by sponsoring and paying your favorite pro's fairly, that do their marketing jobs by putting out videos, sending the team on tours and support the overall skateboard community....

if you look at it like that, you see what brands are at least spending your money you give them responsibly towards skateboarding. the past is the past. we cant go back to core values of 15 years ago. we have to redefine what the core values are for the new reality of the skateboard industry.

and yeah, i work in it. i have from a shop kid back in 92/93 to working at multiple loved & hated brands today. i love it too much. i think the saddest part is watching the retailers i have become friends with these past 15 years be forced to make biz decisions not based on their gut, but based on survival which leads to our state of specialty retail 2012.

DevMo!

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:01 PM »
How many of you down Nike, but say, "$56 for Krew pants?  Fuck that!  I'm sticking with my Levis, they fit better and last longer anyways"

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
i think the saddest part is watching the retailers i have become friends with these past 15 years be forced to make biz decisions not based on their gut, but based on survival which leads to our state of specialty retail 2012.

retail sucks because you have to cover so much overhead... Its so easy to lose money.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
thirsty anti-Nike shit is just annoying and THAT itself just causes conflict & turns something we all love into an unnecessary game of politics
[close]

you made some nice points (esp. liked that you recognized that the reason they can make the shoes that they do is because of their financial backing. then again this is also the reason WHY they can "acquire" whoever they like) BUT ^^^ why should we as skaters NOT debate the motivation of non-skate companies in our industry?
i reedited my post cuz it didn't read right but see my red bull example ;)
would you rock a red bull board?

no because that shit just aint really my style. ive been fuckin with nike outside of skateboarding so when they got in the skate game i was automatically on board. these mega-corporations put alot of money into skateboarding which can be a very good thing. red bull hosts tons of entertaining contests, nikes built skate parks, put out videos, hosted events, etc. even if its all a marketing scheme its still a win/win situation for both the skaters & the companies. do you think the kids who skate the p-rod skatepark everyday care if its just a marketing ploy? no, they're stoked on it because they actually have a new skate plaza to go hang out at, something that NIKE funded & built.

again, half of yall be takin this shit too seriously. lets say all of your worst nightmares come true and every single core brand went out of business and all you could wear were nikes & adidas....would that affect your own skating? for me, not at all. as i stated earlier i play my part in supporting local shops & skater-owned companies so i have no reason to feel guilty about buying nikes when i find a pair that i like. i dont know who you are as a skater but in my own experience the guys who're super-thirsty to preach about the whole anti-nike shit are usually a bunch of has-beens and untalented muhfuckas who just wanna advocate something to make them feel more "involved" in skateboarding or whatever. i dont need people telling me im contributing to the downfall of skateboarding when im out here skating as much as i can goin hard. thats really why im so outspoken on this stale ass debate.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
I've no problem with Nike or Adidas (and even Nikes going in the malls to a certain extent) although once janoski's are on the feet of all the muggles out there I think there will be a lot of skaters that move to a different shoe.

It's sad however that Nike and Adidas are putting strain on a lot of shoe co's through no real fault of their own.  They haven't set out (as far as I'm aware) to put anyone out of business, but it's a result of them having some fucking amazing shoes to skate in, which offer both great lastability and also sweet aesthetics other shoe companies are either struggling or facing having to branch out more and more into other (non skate) areas.

I'm sure if the option for Fallen\Osirs etc is to either sell a load of product to motocross\snowboard\other extreme sport jocks or go out of business they're going to do what they need to in order to keep afloat.

It's a sad fact of the consumerist world that we live in, and the skate game is no different to any other industry now that there are millions of fuckers to sell product to.  I don't think that we'll lose all the 'core' brands, but in 3 or 4 years time I can see there being fewer options out there when it comes to buying your sneaks. 

Hopefully there will be another couple of Huf's come into the game (and Huf will still be about) to increase the diversity of what's on offer.

At the end of the day while I miss being able to spot a skater in the street based on a pair of vans\converse (or airwalks), skaterags, ollie patch etc, being able to actually have the freedom to choose over 25 amazing skate shoes (all of which are better than what I had to skate in back in the day) is pretty sweet.

I'm off to get a pair of janoski's while I can still rock them before they're in Sports Direct or Stead and Simpson (very shit UK shoe shops)

Chocolaterain

• Rep: -7
  • awesome
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:18 AM »
Just get the shoes that work for you, core company or not

ratherwatch

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »
Nike has definitly lost its clout amongst local shops.  Idk where that BS from that link came from, but Nike isnt going to pull itself outta the mall.  Yes they are dropping the "SB" Label on all the Pro shoes and opening up to almost all mall stores that sold 6.0 before, they faded out 6.0 and merged the SB line so Zumiez could have Janoskis and all the other shit the local shops could get.  CCS stores have been getting the entire SB line in there mall stores for over a year now, and they were getting the PROD line for 6 months prior to that.  Nike said Prod had a mass appeal and people wanted his shoe but core shops were carrying it enough so this had to happen, "But we'll never let anything else into the mall"(Until a year later).  Footlocker which does more then 50% of nikes business between all of its stores and Co's basically said we want SB in stores or we're pulling orders which in turn means nike loses a grip of $, and co's don't like losing money.  dont know how true that is but def. could see it being the way it semi went down.  So now all the core shop is left with is "In Store Only" which is a couple color ways the mall and mail order wont get each month, and Quick Strikes, it's only a matter of time before those things are also taken away from the small shops that once had the one thing that a mall store didnt.  the benefits of Nike SB helping "Keep the lights on" or " the doors open" no longer exists for any shop with a Zumiez or CCS within it's city.

This is word for word what the owner of Dakine told me was Nike's strategy 6 years ago. Create a premium around the product and have a palliative effect on the 'legitimacy' argument and then once that circle is squared all bets are off and flood the open channels.  I'm ambivalent about them because I don't like sportswear brands but the jockification of skate culture has been a declared intention of big box hardgood brands too. The real issue here is the backnote of telling skaters that they are wrong to care about the direction their culture is taking. Who has the right to say that inside or out of skating?  Mainstream brands who sponsor skaters are like corporations who pay lobbyists to shape the parameters of the debate on Capitol Hill. If you are relaxed about that then fine, but don't moralise to others who consider it to be nefarious and destructive.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
Time for the KSWISS to arise like a mighty monster from the depths of the sea!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:07:30 AM by Donkey Lips »

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:27 AM »
  Mainstream brands who sponsor skaters are like corporations who pay lobbyists to shape the parameters of the debate on Capitol Hill. If you are relaxed about that then fine, but don't moralise to others who consider it to be nefarious and destructive.

This.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
The idea of "skate shoes" has always been pure marketing, it's all just blatant consumerism whichever way you slice it.  Don't let that stop you from building a shrine to your off brand tennis shoes though.

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Nike brought down eS, an act such as that is unforgivable. Core Companys < Bullshit Corporate Companies
/thread.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=61079.msg1655173#msg1655173 date=1333504378
Nike brought down eS, an act such as that is unforgivable. Core Companys < Bullshit Corporate Companies
/thread.

please, explain the direct actions that nike took against es to take them down. id love to hear your explanation...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:00:36 PM by DaSk8D00D »