Author Topic: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution  (Read 12837 times)

LOU.502

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
Re: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
seriously? again? like twice a fucking week this happens. its always the same dudes with the same arguments trying desperately to persuade some other dudes to "open their minds" and think differently about nike in one way or another. if you like nikes, fucking skate in nikes, if you like vox or whatever skate them, its that simple. how does this regurgitated bullshit not get old?

im probably lying

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
guys who're super-thirsty to preach about the whole anti-nike shit are usually a bunch of has-beens and untalented muhfuckas who just wanna advocate something to make them feel more "involved" in skateboarding or whatever.
[close]

how is this even an argument? so not being "good" at skating means you don't care about the direction of something you have done for over half your life?� ::) that's crazy talk...
skateboarding has never been about who is better, that is jock mentality.

lol dont catch feelings breh. all im sayin is that in my own experience alot of people just try to use the core arguement as a reason to act like theyre more "legit" than other skaters because they dont support corporate brands, while most of the people they try to lecture actually skate more often and at a higher level. i aint tryna hear some "i only skate on occasion" niggas tell me how im ruining skateboarding when i put in more time & effort into the shit than they do.

you wanna talk about jock mentality you dont know how many times ive seen people at my local shop gang up on people and bitch about how they're wearing cons, nikes, etc. and try to make them feel guilty about it. no lie there are skaters i know who are hesitant to buy shoes they really want from certain brands because they know the next time they meet up at the shop they gotta hear 4-5 niggas band together and criticize them for their purchase. THATS the bullshit thats ruining skateboarding. skaters shouldnt have to feel nervous walking into a skateshop because they have some new converse on their feet. people round here already know how i get down so i dont really hear shit about it anymore, but i hate to see people come at my friends just because they wanna try out some blazers. ESPECIALLY when the same people tryna hate on em stay wearing busted ass kicks that have to constantly be shoe-gooed cuz they ripped in the first week. fuck outta here!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:41:01 PM by DaSk8D00D »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
Parts of it are regurgiated, skatedood has made the same nike points 20 times before. Its topical and current though so why should it be ignored? In the last page a few guys have said some new things or summed things up better. Plus more people need to be aware of what their purchases mean if the grand scheme of things, especially when skating revolves around consumerism.also kids are fucking stupid and need shit explained clearly by those who know what's going on(not saying I do).
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
seriously? again? like twice a fucking week this happens. its always the same dudes with the same arguments trying desperately to persuade some other dudes to "open their minds" and think differently about nike in one way or another. if you like nikes, fucking skate in nikes, if you like vox or whatever skate them, its that simple. how does this regurgitated bullshit not get old?

if i had to be honest its simply because a nigga just like to argue sometimes

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:40:16 PM by DaSk8D00D »

Strike A Pose

• Rep: -613
  • Get slapped!
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
I hate people who use the term "jock-mentality"/

I'm not a "jock" by any means, but these FRAIL and FRAGILE minded beta males who wear womens pants and dislike organized sports are the lamest breed of skaters out there.

Nike makes quality products for every occasion- bottom line!

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • rawr
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if i had to be honest its simply because a nigga just like to argue sometimes

awwww Sk8D00D, you know i can't stay mad at you  ;)

im probably lying

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »

I'm not a "jock" by any means, but these FRAIL and FRAGILE minded beta males who wear womens pants and dislike organized sports are the lamest breed of skaters out there.

i had no qualms using it in my reply because the DOOD was implying that (correct me if i'm wrong btw. and yes i read your reply about "core" elitists too) that lots of nike bashers weren't good at skating and didn't skate everyday so therefore their arguments/ opinions weren't relevant/ valid.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:40:58 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • rawr
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i had no qualms using it in my reply because the DOOD was claiming that (correct me if i'm wrong btw. and yes i read your reply about "core" elitists too) that lots of nike bashers weren't good at skating and didn't skate everyday so therefore their arguments/ opinions weren't relevant/ valid.
haha thats some straight COTG shit

im probably lying

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Where is Birdo?

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
All we have to do is look at specialty retail over history when it comes to categories nike wanted to enter- soccer, golf and running.

they came in a similar fashion talking about limited products for limited distribution, the exposed these sports to a broader consumer, brought in new consumers/participants, and then went and got them "hooked" on nike and in the end drove them to their own stores or larger sporting good chains they could sell cheaper products to at better margins.

straight up i have kept my mouth shut on nike because i know they kept a lot of shops open during some real shitty years...first when "core" brands expanded their distribution and left the specialty retailer looking for alternatives and then when the economy went to shit. these retailers could count on a few nike drops per month to keep the doors open. i get it. but now. BUT NOW i hope all these specialty retailers are looking at the wolf in sheep's clothing and rethinking their commitment to what is probably going to be the same brand that will be a driver of them finally having to close up shop. the "specialty" is gone. consumers will be able to buy skate models everywhere. same goes for vans. i wear vans almost 100%, but they are doing the same thing opening up their own doors on top of their specialty dealers. they dont care. they still do some specialty segments that drive a bit of biz, but in the end, their slitting throats too. cons never got their shit together to be a voice in this shoe discussion and adidas, for as ill as they are right now, dont know their head from their ass at the top of the company and will probably follow nike down some expanded distribution with the good shit once they see nike do it for 6 months...they've never been leaders in anything other than soccer and they got their asses handed to them there once nike decided they wanted that biz.

back to the "core" guys. most of the creative talent has been swooped from these brands. both in design and marketing. bigger checks, bigger budgets and bigger titles stole them away. so you got guys with little experience, 5-15 million dollar brands, and a core at all costs mentality running these og skate shoe brands. the thing is, the new gen of kids dont know any better. they dont know skate without nike, so core brands are preaching with fist in the air to a gen of kids that look at them as old men...which we kind of are.

in the end what am i writing all this for? cause our fate is sealed. dont hold on to old ideals. support companies and brands that make good product for your dollar, that return the favor by sponsoring and paying your favorite pro's fairly, that do their marketing jobs by putting out videos, sending the team on tours and support the overall skateboard community....

if you look at it like that, you see what brands are at least spending your money you give them responsibly towards skateboarding. the past is the past. we cant go back to core values of 15 years ago. we have to redefine what the core values are for the new reality of the skateboard industry.

and yeah, i work in it. i have from a shop kid back in 92/93 to working at multiple loved & hated brands today. i love it too much. i think the saddest part is watching the retailers i have become friends with these past 15 years be forced to make biz decisions not based on their gut, but based on survival which leads to our state of specialty retail 2012.

I've referenced this many times, Whitely wrote a "Reason Why" a ways back about skateboarding V Skateboarding. I can't find it right now, but it certainly shored up what a lot of people are trying to say here. I'm not stuck in the era where you could look at someones shoes and know if they skated, but that's how it was. Nike is and always has been mainstream, whereas the length of contemporary popular skateboarding is new.

take time and peep this shit. some REASONS WHY
http://www.slapmagazine.com/articles/full/the-reason-why

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
You guys are somewhat surprised that a "legit" company like Nike acts like a dickhead drunk uncle at a family reunion. It's their trademark move.

Crap Rules Everything Around Me.

steve

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
You mean he shows me his badass Camaro and lets me drive it, gets me high for the first time only to expose himself in the parking lot of a 7-11 when we stop for slurpies.

Dick move.

what kinda slurpies are you talking about, mang?

xbirdo

• Rep: 15
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
Where is Birdo?

I'm here. Did you want my opinion on this topic? haha

steve

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You mean he shows me his badass Camaro and lets me drive it, gets me high for the first time only to expose himself in the parking lot of a 7-11 when we stop for slurpies.

Dick move.
[close]

what kinda slurpies are you talking about, mang?
[close]

Coke, son.  Ain't no other kind.

Wall of Nausea

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

Dick move.

Except he leaves you paying for the slurpies and gas for the Camaro.

Take this into account:

Kenny Powers is Nike, Stevie Janowski is skateboarding, need I say more?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:47:25 PM by Wall of Nausea »

Wall of Nausea

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Dick move.
[close]

Leaves you paying for the slurpies and gas for thr V
[close]

Plus an image that cannot be unseen.

Uncle Dong.  Destroying kids since always.

for those unfamiliar search out The Upright Citizen's Brigade's - Little Donny skits.

whoami

• Rep: -43
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »
It's the difference between generations. These young dudes just feel different. Nothing can change the atmosphere people grew up in.

Even if i did skate in nikes anymore, it would be some general release shit that I think I could skate in, like the GTS in the mid 90's. Hood shit was what it was. Not really into some 16 yr old, thirsty ass filipino, cargo short wearing craze that these new styles are. Shit went from being hood to being soft.

Many moons ago I designed for a few of the major's out there including Nike. I was NYC dude with a little brand who was in the sneaker worlds little cradle of shit in 1999. Over the next few years the sneaker/streetwear shit popped off and the big guys started calling for marketing plays that eventually turned into design opportunities by 2002. Unfortunately I was part of what I ended up growing away from. I've seen who shows up to these meetings and I saw who they report to. It's just boring now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:16:46 PM by whoami »

DevMo!

• Rep: 2
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=61079.msg1655173#msg1655173 date=1333504378
Nike brought down eS, an act such as that is unforgivable. Core Companys < Bullshit Corporate Companies
/thread.

Can't tell if troll or doesn't know the difference between less than or greater than.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2012, 06:49:20 AM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=61079.msg1655173#msg1655173 date=1333504378
Expand Quote
Nike brought down eS, an act such as that is unforgivable. Core Companys < Bullshit Corporate Companies
/thread.
[close]

Can't tell if troll or doesn't know the difference between less than or greater than.
Nah, He's just stoked to see Es go.