Author Topic: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution  (Read 12822 times)

Krailtap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:03 PM »
http://n-sb.org/11873/nike-sb-kills-mall-distribution-in-fear-of-backlash/news/

basically, it says nike will stop selling nike sb's at mall stores, because skate shops are closing because nike makes them buy so many shoes but they can't sell them because people are buying their nike sb's on ccs or some other mall store.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:38:55 PM by Krailtap »

trannies and mannies

Re: Nike SB Kills Mall Distribution
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
Link doesn't work on my phone. What does it say?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
April fools.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

starwars

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
Notice the kostons don't say SB anymore.

So yeah they don't sell sbs at the mall.  But maybe none of the shoes say SB.

And how about the new boxes? Things are changing.

latinlover!

• Rep: -5
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
i know its been said here before, but how can skater's support a company that is only in it to make money. Contrary to their marketing and image, they don't give a fuck about being down with the core.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
April fools.

dunno, the article was published on March 31, 2012 10:59PM , so who knows.

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
Is there anyone who doesn't think Birdo was right? I really wish the whole "don't do it" thing would take off... unfortunately money will buy pros. If pros aren't backing it, no one will care.

superslopp

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
If pros aren't backing it, no one will care.

truth

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
Is there anyone who doesn't think Birdo was right? I really wish the whole "don't do it" thing would take off... unfortunately money will buy pros. If pros aren't backing it, no one will care.

birdo was right, we got swooned. i used to think that dude was the worst until everything he said would happen, did.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
April fools.
[close]

dunno, the article was published on March 31, 2012 10:59PM , so who knows.

:D :D :D
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

Wu Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

birdo was right, we got swooned. i used to think that dude was the worst until everything he said would happen, did.

Didn't they make a Nike Dunk rip-off shoe called the "Drunk" with Osiris, a very pro-core shop, anti-mall brand skate shoe company that specifically caters to skateboarding, and skateboarding only?

Wu Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Didn't they make a Nike Dunk rip-off shoe called the "Drunk" with Osiris, a very pro-core shop, anti-mall brand skate shoe company that specifically caters to skateboarding, and skateboarding only?

Expand Quote

is that who they did it with? i remember the shoe.  it was like a teal/black/white dunk high with a banana instead of the swoosh. i didn't know it was with osiris.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

is that who they did it with? i remember the shoe.  it was like a teal/black/white dunk high with a banana instead of the swoosh. i didn't know it was with osiris.
I don;t know if it was the point of the shoe, but it was the worst quality shoe i have ever seen
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:27 AM »
Its not clear it's an April Fools joke....

I don't get this:
"It's no secret that Nike SB has suffered one of sneakerheads most tragic falls from grace." Is this something recent? Ever since they got PROD, theyve been cool as cucumbers in my eyes... Maybe in the beginning they sucked... but they were never great at another point other than between the Prod Zoom 2's and Janoski's.

If this is real... good for them. The only problem is: Nike has to make money. That's their style. They make great product and are the elite of every sport theyre in. I just can't see Nike do anything that consists of them just giving away things and not trying to be market leaders... at least in the long run.

ratherwatch

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 01:43:29 AM »
Notice the kostons don't say SB anymore.

So yeah they don't sell sbs at the mall.  But maybe none of the shoes say SB.

And how about the new boxes? Things are changing.
They are fading out the SB/6.0 suffixes to turn it all into an extension of their athletic brands, for evermore tearing down what walls were left between skateboarding and mainstream sports culture, the easier to wander in and out of at the sporting goods brands' whims.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
I'm torn with the whole Nike thing. They are obviously only in it for the cash and will be gone the second they stop making money, unlike the core shoe companies. But the core shoe companies just are not making a product that is as good as Nike's. What to do?

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »
Wait you don't think the core shoe companies will be gone once they stop making money? I support core companies but some of you guys talk like core companies are some sort of skateboarding charity.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
If by gone you mean go out of business, then yeah, they'll be gone. I mean Nike will cut its losses and bounce way before going bankrupt like a core company would.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
You guys speak of NIke as some evil company that is only in it for the money . I mean sure it is a company and all companys need to make money to stay alive

For one thing , Nike employs designers of shoes and other equipment . Im sure all of them love their job and are feeling pretty fucking lucky to design shoes and other gear for a living . A small smile when they see athleets and skaters with their shoe they designed

Nike sponsors and is in almost every sport from Football , Hockey , Running , Skating , hell even BASE Jumping . Do you guys assume all the team managers are totaly clueless about what they do for a living ? .  They just wake up every day and when Ibrahimovic or Malto calls about his new shoe they go " Who ?  oh you again , nah I dont know , Im just in it for the money , dont know much about it "   or is it the same with them as the designers that they feel pretty good to be in the Nike / football or hockey business

Nike also sponsors skate comps , skaters , football camps , hockey camps and tons of other shit

And nike makes damn good shoes , I really like dunks and janoskis . I usualy buy adidas or lakais but the Nikes ive had are some of the best shoes ive had and lasted the longest . I think nike has the most money to spend on good technique and materials to make some of the best shoes

Now Im not some idiot who thinks Nike is doing all this just cause they love skating so much , but in the end its kinda like the ones who make the best products will survive in a way .

Nike gets alot of shit while cons and adidas are kinda getting away with it ?   Ill keep buyin my adidas and random fallen , circa lakaiiiiiiis

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »
Nike gets the most shit because they are the biggest, like MacDonalds and fast food. I think Adidas and Cons are just as guilty.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
Nike gets the most shit because they are the biggest, like MacDonalds and fast food. I think Adidas and Cons are just as guilty.
adidas sponsored lance mountain, gonz, paulo diaz, jahmal williams, and half the firm team for years.  would keep them separate from nike and cons

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
yeah gotta keep Nike in a separate category considering the group of grade A assholes they sponsor now  (sarcasm)

just wondering when you fools will get over this tired ass debate.  its been going on for over a decade now.  at this point Nike has been in skateboarding as long, or longer, than some of these so-called "core" brands.  get the fuck over yourselves...if anything is killing skateboarding its the generation of shitty bastard jockish kids, not some brand of shoe.

like someone else said earlier, most of us wear levi's over skate brand pants.  why? because it makes more sense to pay for a quality piece of clothing than some overpriced piece of shit with a skate logo slapped on it.  but I don't see any of you speaking out against levi's, or god forbid even Dickies, who has once again entered the skate market after about half a dozens abrupt exits over the past 20 years.  but they have Greco and some anti-hero dudes so they're totally core too now bro!!!! 

not that I have a problem with dickies or levi's or any other mainstream company.  its just the hypocrisy of singling out Nike is pretty mindblowing.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Nike has definitly lost its clout amongst local shops.  Idk where that BS from that link came from, but Nike isnt going to pull itself outta the mall.  Yes they are dropping the "SB" Label on all the Pro shoes and opening up to almost all mall stores that sold 6.0 before, they faded out 6.0 and merged the SB line so Zumiez could have Janoskis and all the other shit the local shops could get.  CCS stores have been getting the entire SB line in there mall stores for over a year now, and they were getting the PROD line for 6 months prior to that.  Nike said Prod had a mass appeal and people wanted his shoe but core shops were carrying it enough so this had to happen, "But we'll never let anything else into the mall"(Until a year later).  Footlocker which does more then 50% of nikes business between all of its stores and Co's basically said we want SB in stores or we're pulling orders which in turn means nike loses a grip of $, and co's don't like losing money.  dont know how true that is but def. could see it being the way it semi went down.  So now all the core shop is left with is "In Store Only" which is a couple color ways the mall and mail order wont get each month, and Quick Strikes, it's only a matter of time before those things are also taken away from the small shops that once had the one thing that a mall store didnt.  the benefits of Nike SB helping "Keep the lights on" or " the doors open" no longer exists for any shop with a Zumiez or CCS within it's city.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
I heard that Ikea is going to start making decks.  They're already in discussions with PRod and Koston about starting a team, because these guys have proven so marketable they can get a group of outcasts to wear mainstream shit and not even care how badly exploited the labor.  Going to be super high quality, I won't be riding anything else.  BRAWNDO!

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Lance- you're actually a shop owner and I know you mentioned the big three being the biggest sellers.� What do you think should happen?� Do you just deal with it, focus on something else?
We do what works.  Nike, Vans, and Adidas sell themselves.  We go out of our way to try and work more extensively with smaller co's like HUF, Lakai, etc. and push there brands a little harder.  i.e. HUF shoes weren't doing to well so we asked if we could get a grip of sox and stickers and promo dvd's to give away with a purchase and it worked out really well, we've done it with, Vox, and Lakai as well.  We have a lot of friends that work at Vans and they definately help us out with promo to give away to people and P.O.P shit for the shop too, they're awesome about that stuff.  It's awesome to get kids/dudes hyped on shit they've never tried out.  And who doesn't like free shit when you buy something!?
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Lance- you're actually a shop owner and I know you mentioned the big three being the biggest sellers.� What do you think should happen?� Do you just deal with it, focus on something else?

Will we ever be in a situation where its like " I want to skate today but all the core brands died out so I cant skate in anything "

I mean DLX and Crailtap will always be around . Not going to effect much If I have to wear nikes or adidas at the end of the day .

DC is a core brand but they get more shit then Nike these days . Etnies , globe , dvs , osiris and circa sponsor other things then skateboarding , does that make them less core or not ?

I like supra alot but I heard they were partly owned by toyota or some shit like that . Dont care really cause backing EE is more important

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
First of all, if this is an "April Fool's Joke," it's a pretty high-profile FUCK YOU to local skateshops/ Mom andPop
operations. Really ugly, really sad.

Secondly, we all know the basics of this debate:

Corporate people outside of skateboarding want our dollar. They
take great skaters, pay them well, to insinuate themselves into
our culture. Not a new or amazingly inventive tactic, but tried and
true. A tactic that works.

We can't blame the skaters. They have families in most cases, they
have their own politics on how to approach it. Even Lance once said
(I paraphrase) "it's pretty punk to take the money from people who don't
aren't part of us." In a way, I agree.

The debate can go on and on, about authenticity, about intent,  about the
gentrification of our precious culture, about whether or not to keep skating
 to the skaters, etc.

In the end, it's just up to you. With what you buy, with what you want to
represent and encourage. Simple enough.

You want to support skating? Buy shoes from people who have given their
life to skating, who love skating. Not to name names, but you all know the
companies started and run by people who love skating.

Not to get esoteric, but Jose Ortega Y Gasset quipped:

�Revolution is not the uprising against preexisting order, but the setting up of a new order contradictory to the traditional one"

Let Nike be Nike. You ain't going to hurt a Giant with tiny dull spears.

Fuck the Giant.

Go skate.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
ayo, dem nike sb dunk joints is some of the best shoes i've ever skated b. dem shits look good, skate good, and are durable as fuck yo.

i still fucks with da "core" companies but they shoes just aint as good son. i liked those dc pj ladd's before he left. im not into the whole vulk trend. i like my cupsoles and nike be makin some good ass cupsoles.

i'd give up nike if dc brought back da lynx

i know you be readin dis shit kalis.

bring back the lynx!