Author Topic: Moving out to L.A. - Best place to live?  (Read 2221 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
Moving out to L.A. - Best place to live?
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Title says all. lemme hear your suggestions.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Moving out to L.A. - Best place to live?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
Somewhere other than L.A.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

way too real

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
Somewhere other than L.A.

Exactly. LA is not that great. I personally hate it.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:36:55 AM »
fuck LA. Go south, like San Clemente or Oceanside

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »
My job is there otherwise I would live further south.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »

i can think of other places i'd rather live than LA, but San Clemente or Oceanside aren't among them

DCLOVE, depends on a lot of things - what you're into, what your budget is, where your job is.  since traffic in LA sucks ass, and you have a choice on where you're going to live i would suggest moving not too far from where you work.  not too close, but you don't want to commute an hour each way in a car every day

you'll definitely hear a lot of la hate on here (mostly from people who don't live here, and even from people who have never been here) so i don't think this is the best place for advice

whatever you do don't move to the valley (no offense to people who live in the valley)
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »
Stay the fuck away from the west side. Downtown, echo park, silverlake, just not the west side. To clarfy, do not live n Venice, Santa Monica, Westwood, Culver City, The palms, brentwood, hollywood, or anywhere else that is considered the west side. There are nice things there, but you don't want to live there. The beach is nice, stoner is awesome, but you can go there and not live in that shithole part of town.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 11:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i can think of other places i'd rather live than LA, but San Clemente or Oceanside aren't among them

DCLOVE, depends on a lot of things - what you're into, what your budget is, where your job is.  since traffic in LA sucks ass, and you have a choice on where you're going to live i would suggest moving not too far from where you work.  not too close, but you don't want to commute an hour each way in a car every day

you'll definitely hear a lot of la hate on here (mostly from people who don't live here, and even from people who have never been here) so i don't think this is the best place for advice

whatever you do don't move to the valley (no offense to people who live in the valley)

i grew up in the valley....and i agree that it blows.

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 01:50:24 AM »
southbay or long beach.

"close" to everything.    ;)

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 04:16:09 AM »
Stay the fuck away from the west side. Downtown, echo park, silverlake, just not the west side. To clarfy, do not live n Venice, Santa Monica, Westwood, Culver City, The palms, brentwood, hollywood, or anywhere else that is considered the west side. There are nice things there, but you don't want to live there. The beach is nice, stoner is awesome, but you can go there and not live in that shithole part of town.

Why you consider that a shithole? Just wondering and I'd like to know more
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

steenz

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
come to the hi desert we got the best water in america

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why you consider that a shithole? Just wondering and I'd like to know more

i won't speak for Mr. Wilson but i'm guessing he doesn't mean shithole in terms of economically depressed scummy shithole, but is referring to what some might argue the lack of culture on the West Side.   i think there are awesome things about the west side too, but overall most people view the west side as more yuppieish, orange county-esque, as a whole.   the East side has more cultural diversity.  and more stuff happening.  again, it depends on what you're into.   if you want to live closer to where more music venues / diverse restaurants and diverse people are the west side probably isn't for you.  if you want to work out at Tapout gym and date girls with fake tits and "juicy" sweat outfits, you would probably like the valley

i lived in Venice for about 4 years and loved it actually.  if i was going to live anywhere on the west side it would be Venice.  now that that they have the skatepark there, if you are a skater that is admittedly a big draw.  i would not mind being able to skate to that park.  but yeah, i did my time on the west side.  like gipper i like to go and visit and then leave
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
West side is super suburban. There won't be any bars within stumbling distance and there are a lot of lame people there. It doesn't even really feel like city living over there. I lived in Venice too, and fucking hated it. I live downtown now and its so much better. It feels like I live in a city. I can skate around right outside my door and get whatever I need within a few blocks. There is a good chunk of the city that is connected and even has some public transit, but none of it really goes to the west side. And yes, once you are in the middle and east side of the city there is a lot more culture.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
come to the hi desert we got the most tattoo and smokeshops in america

cdubble

• Rep: 11
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
Im in the same boat. Planning on moving to LA area in June, when you say East side are you talking about East of Santa monica like Culver City? or East LA like boyle heights? Granted I have only really been to LA for a week or so and in that time I stayed in Santa Monica area so thats all I really know....

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
West side is super suburban. There won't be any bars within stumbling distance and there are a lot of lame people there. It doesn't even really feel like city living over there. I lived in Venice too, and fucking hated it. I live downtown now and its so much better. It feels like I live in a city. I can skate around right outside my door and get whatever I need within a few blocks. There is a good chunk of the city that is connected and even has some public transit, but none of it really goes to the west side. And yes, once you are in the middle and east side of the city there is a lot more culture.

Alright so that's pretty much the same I thought when I was there as a tourist and just for a few days but I got it right I see..
Being from Europe everything is suburban/spread out to me but in LA that sucked the most
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
Im in the same boat. Planning on moving to LA area in June, when you say East side are you talking about East of Santa monica like Culver City? or East LA like boyle heights? Granted I have only really been to LA for a week or so and in that time I stayed in Santa Monica area so thats all I really know....

i don't know what people would say the exact dividing line is but Culver City is still west side..  "East Side" is probably more like everything East of Vermont Ave...    Los Feliz, Echo Park, Silver Lake, Atwater Village, Highland Park, Mount Washington, Boyle Heights etc...

steenz

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
come to the hi desert we got the most tattoo and smokeshops in america
[close]
aha that too lol. u from the hi dez??