Author Topic: Dylan Rieder Monster Children Interview  (Read 28852 times)

starwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Dylan Rieder Monster Children Interview
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote
...Can someone put up a real scan? I don't see how you guys are reading that. Thanks
[close]
go buy it, fuckface.
You sound like a terribly unhappy person
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:20:20 PM by starwars »

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have my sketpticism of Berra as well, but I gotta say- about two years ago he sent me a hoodie for pretty much nothing, for coming in 3rd or 4th in one of his silly little trivia things when their site was just starting up.  I didn't even win and he sent me some free shit.

I know it ain't much, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever had a pro do for me.  Most of them are too busy talking about their jaguars, BMWs, stories of model girlfriends, bragging about buying multiple houses & property, etc.  It's so far delusional from the life of the average skate rat like us that actually fuels the industry, and the majority of the new kids take so much of it for granted.  I'll give him a few points for at least trying to give something back at the end of a somewhat charmed career.

[close]

If that's what you're reading, then you are into very different skaters than I am. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear Berra talk about that stuff if he actually, you know, got any skating coverage. Oh wait! Sorry, he won't talk about that stuff because he's broke for putting every dime of his personal money (as well as making several other sacrifices) into making the Berrics what it is today--a fact that he has no problem bringing up as often as possible. I'd rather hear about buying houses than listen to Berra nail himself to a cross and then ask me to be thankful for all he's done for skateboarding.

Also, if you're surprised that a skater in the industry would do something nice for another skater, then you must not have interacted with a lot of people. I've had a bunch of positive experiences with people in the industry, some of whom I've never met in person, so getting a hoodie for coming third in a contest does not seem too outrageous to me.
[close]

I was referring to Apples talking about the Jaguars, beamers etc.  Apples was something of a hometown hero around Toronto not far from where I grew up, I was a regular at Oakville's 'Shell Park' and so was apples, I bumped into him at Tampa Pro less than two years after I last saw him in Canada and he acted like quite a dick, mentioning how glad he was to be out of Canada and not ever wanted to go back.  I was just disappointed.  He is a true skater, just clearly not reppin' Canada at all anymore, more concerned about financial investments and "ballin'". I believe he may even be a full-fledged U.S. citizen now.  Of course, not all Canadian pros are like that.

Yeah I don't believe for a second Berra actually went broke financing the Berrics, nor that he doesn't take a fairly handsome salary home from it.  I just wanted to add to the conversation at least one true example of something I've known him to do, seems like most people in the thread were just hopping on the bandwagon and following message board trends without actually forming their own opinion.

Anyone ever seen the film the last film he wrote/directed?  "The Good Life?"  I vaguely recall seeing it a few years ago, it was strange, but I'm sure he collected some decent hollywood money from it.  At least it had Harry Dean Stanton in it, that old dude is so gnarly.  haha

Worst experience I had from an industry person was Skin Phillips.  I used to run a small town skatepark out here in the country in Ottawa during school and Flip came to the larger park downtown to do a demo.  I shot loads of photos for our old skatepark blog.  After it was finished, I just wanted to get one photo with Lance Mountain, dude's a legend.  All the kids were swarming to Rodrigo, Penny etc.  I was trying to find Lance during all the commotion after the demo and Skin seemingly purposefully sent me in the wrong direction Lance had headed, as he was just standing with him prior to.  If you're not down to be cool with true skateboarding fans every now and again, what the fuck are you doing as editor in chief of one of the industry's biggest mags, let alone going to demos with a team?

But, yes, some industry people HAVE been super cool.

i find it absolutely hilarious when people take the time to properly type up some very in-depth response and its all just a bunch of unnecessary bullshit

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
apples is a dick because he'd rather live in southern california than canada...yeah you're a real thinker.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
c'mon guys, we're talking to someone with kurt cobain as his avatar

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »
I dont remember all the details but Kareem Campbell mentions something about punching Berra in the face and leaving som tour a long time ago. Havent read it in years but there was something about stolen boards and Berra dropped something along the lines of "thats easy for a black guy to say" so Kareem punched him and left the tour.

I need to dig up that magazine

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
apples is a dick because he'd rather live in southern california than canada...yeah you're a real thinker.
[close]

He's a dick because he tried to brag how he was finished his Extremely Sorry part years before release and yet was the only Globe Pro that never put out a UBF.  Ams Luan and Louie Lopez managed to pull one off, what the hell was his problem then?  And in every interview he has to make mention of his love for BMWs and Jaguars.

This was already more than covered here:  http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=54212.30

Of course any skater would prefer SoCal to Canada, eastern Canada at least (Crankers still lives and runs the shop in BC), but Apple's has completely forgotten where he came from.  He talks about being a skate rat and then just bitches non-stop about money, he's lost his roots.

I'm totally with you on the apples thing. when I read some random thrasher interview of him saying how much he wanted to be rich I was like "WTF, screw this dick". I honestly dont give half a fuck about how he skates anymore. Not saying the dudes I like now are super quiet philosophers or anything, it's just that the apples thing was way too much.

Glad to see Alien Workshop is not blowing it at all.

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »
Berra Berra Berra... You were so good in the End, what happened...

superslopp

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
c'mon guys, we're talking to someone with kurt cobain as his avatar

not anymore. weird...

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
I dont remember all the details but Kareem Campbell mentions something about punching Berra in the face and leaving som tour a long time ago. Havent read it in years but there was something about stolen boards and Berra dropped something along the lines of "thats easy for a black guy to say" so Kareem punched him and left the tour.

@ this if it actually happened

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
Koston should have put Dylan, or any other Alien rider on his team for BATB 5, and rigged it so he makes it to the finals hahaha..

victor333

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Koston should have put Dylan, or any other Alien rider on his team for BATB 5, and rigged it so he makes it to the finals hahaha..

...swing and a miss...

BraveUlysses

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@ this if it actually happened
If it did happened I guess that whole situation is resolved since Campbell was on the Berrics about a year ago.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
there hasn't been any word of that appleyard part since like january. I'm bummed i was really excited for it

im probably lying

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I recall reading about this years ago as well, and Berra just got in his face after and kept repeating "why would you do that?  why would you do that?".  I thought it may have been at The old World Park though...  yeah find it if you can, I'm almost positive it was in a TWS, I think may have been the with with 'Reem on the front and a tall ass crooked on a tall ass LA picnic table...

jovontae snuffed berra on tour back in the day

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I recall reading about this years ago as well, and Berra just got in his face after and kept repeating "why would you do that?  why would you do that?".  I thought it may have been at The old World Park though...  yeah find it if you can, I'm almost positive it was in a TWS, I think may have been the with with 'Reem on the front and a tall ass crooked on a tall ass LA picnic table...
[close]

jovontae snuffed berra on tour back in the day

lol, berra seems like the type of guy to say or do something to some hood nigga tryna be funny only to get his ass stole on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:42:10 AM by DaSk8D00D »

kellen

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »

David Schwimmer

• Rep: -27
    • http://orgasmicabyss.tumblr.com/ avatar image
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have my sketpticism of Berra as well, but I gotta say- about two years ago he sent me a hoodie for pretty much nothing, for coming in 3rd or 4th in one of his silly little trivia things when their site was just starting up.  I didn't even win and he sent me some free shit.

I know it ain't much, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever had a pro do for me.  Most of them are too busy talking about their jaguars, BMWs, stories of model girlfriends, bragging about buying multiple houses & property, etc.  It's so far delusional from the life of the average skate rat like us that actually fuels the industry, and the majority of the new kids take so much of it for granted.  I'll give him a few points for at least trying to give something back at the end of a somewhat charmed career.

[close]

If that's what you're reading, then you are into very different skaters than I am. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear Berra talk about that stuff if he actually, you know, got any skating coverage. Oh wait! Sorry, he won't talk about that stuff because he's broke for putting every dime of his personal money (as well as making several other sacrifices) into making the Berrics what it is today--a fact that he has no problem bringing up as often as possible. I'd rather hear about buying houses than listen to Berra nail himself to a cross and then ask me to be thankful for all he's done for skateboarding.

Also, if you're surprised that a skater in the industry would do something nice for another skater, then you must not have interacted with a lot of people. I've had a bunch of positive experiences with people in the industry, some of whom I've never met in person, so getting a hoodie for coming third in a contest does not seem too outrageous to me.
[close]

I was referring to Apples talking about the Jaguars, beamers etc.  Apples was something of a hometown hero around Toronto not far from where I grew up, I was a regular at Oakville's 'Shell Park' and so was apples, I bumped into him at Tampa Pro less than two years after I last saw him in Canada and he acted like quite a dick, mentioning how glad he was to be out of Canada and not ever wanted to go back.  I was just disappointed.  He is a true skater, just clearly not reppin' Canada at all anymore, more concerned about financial investments and "ballin'". I believe he may even be a full-fledged U.S. citizen now.  Of course, not all Canadian pros are like that.

Yeah I don't believe for a second Berra actually went broke financing the Berrics, nor that he doesn't take a fairly handsome salary home from it.  I just wanted to add to the conversation at least one true example of something I've known him to do, seems like most people in the thread were just hopping on the bandwagon and following message board trends without actually forming their own opinion.

Anyone ever seen the film the last film he wrote/directed?  "The Good Life?"  I vaguely recall seeing it a few years ago, it was strange, but I'm sure he collected some decent hollywood money from it.  At least it had Harry Dean Stanton in it, that old dude is so gnarly.  haha

Worst experience I had from an industry person was Skin Phillips.  I used to run a small town skatepark out here in the country in Ottawa during school and Flip came to the larger park downtown to do a demo.  I shot loads of photos for our old skatepark blog.  After it was finished, I just wanted to get one photo with Lance Mountain, dude's a legend.  All the kids were swarming to Rodrigo, Penny etc.  I was trying to find Lance during all the commotion after the demo and Skin seemingly purposefully sent me in the wrong direction Lance had headed, as he was just standing with him prior to.  If you're not down to be cool with true skateboarding fans every now and again, what the fuck are you doing as editor in chief of one of the industry's biggest mags, let alone going to demos with a team?

But, yes, some industry people HAVE been super cool.

[close]

i find it absolutely hilarious when people take the time to properly type up some very in-depth response and its all just a bunch of unnecessary bullshit

Your one to talk, D00D
We were on a break

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your one to talk, D00D

mongomaestro

• Rep: -41
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »
 :D

hekkahyphy

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »
off topic but anyone see the mag interview with terpening and how berra was gonna ruin his career?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote
off topic but anyone see the mag interview with terpening and how berra was gonna ruin his career?
[close]

I vaguely remember this, wanna read it again to exponent berra's lameness.  Anybody have it?

I might have it around. If I can find it, I'll quote it (no scanner).

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I vaguely remember this, wanna read it again to exponent berra's lameness.  Anybody have it?
[close]

Sorry they are sideways

superslopp

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry they are sideways

holy shit i need to see this. repost those, they aren't showing up for me. (thanks ahead of time)

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
Regarding Terpening--I think it was something like he showed up at the Berrics without someone clearing it with Berra first and some one was filming a Battle Commander or some such part and Berra started flipping out. So Kevin started giving him attitude and Berra said he was going to get him cut off from AWS flow and make it so Terp never get hooked up again for being disrespectful (which worked so well...).

Here's Berra's twitter response to Dylan calling him out (to Berra's credit, somone asked him his opinion): "I can do interviews and make shit up and sound pretty beefy too when the other person isn't around. I just have no desire to."  But again, this is a moot point as doing an interview in which to talk shit would require Berra to actually do his professional skateboarding job which he gave up on about three(?) years ago.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:34:47 PM by oyolar »

kellen

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

Vlade Divac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
"Whitley is filet mignon.  Vlade is spam."

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry they are sideways

[close]

holy shit i need to see this. repost those, they aren't showing up for me. (thanks ahead of time)

Hopefully they work this time.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
But his intentions are good, anyways... whatever that says.
[close]

Neither I nor you know what his intentions are. All we know is that he doesn't skate. That's enough information for me.
[close]

Very true, Fred.? 

But what about Dyrdek??  Does he get full pass just because he was able to buy out The Workshop from the MTV/ESPN2 money??  His and Berra's respective parts in "MindField" were each less than 2 mins., and that was the last thing either of them put out anything as far as I know...
[close]

My name is Fuck. FrenchFuck

Dyrdek still skates. He bs 5-0d that hubba during Street league. And his stage personality , while ridiculous , is not bad in itself.

Idk why this made me laugh so hard hahaha.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »