Author Topic: Another New York thread...  (Read 3786 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Another New York thread...
« on: April 21, 2012, 02:25:57 AM »
Me and a friend of mine just bought plane tickets to new york in june, and basically im clueless about everything. We're from Sweden and neither of us have ever been to new york before.

We've been looking to rent a room at some apartments, but I dont really know about the areas of the city. What area is the "best" to stay in? What should we do when we are there? All we wanna do while we're there is see the city, skate and just do whatever, vacation stuff.

If you have any advice on anything at all, please share that too..

Thanks

-Kevin
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:53:55 AM by Deekay »

keathhirchart

• Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
Re: Another New York thread...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
ya, thanks for that. I was mainly looking for things like... is it a good idea to stay in harlem, or would I get raped + its too far to where everythings at? and then same thing for brooklyn.. Ive read some new york threads on here but people mainly discuss skatespots in those, so thats covered.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
New York is a bit like Borlange, so bring your guns.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:28:12 AM »

haha fuck, I better bring some snus so that I can bargain with the gangsters then

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:35:13 AM »
Also bring Erik Ostlund, he know whats up.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »
Haha. Jag k?nner inga borl?nge skatare riktigt, men jag best?ller fr?n br?dg?rn ibland s? h?lsa big ups till dom n?sta g?ng du ?r d?r.

Anyway, back to topic.. If anyone knows anything, hit me uppp

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »
Må jeg anbefale www.airbnb.com - super til at finde private lejligheder til billige priser. Jeg er selv blevet anbefalet Tribeca eller 'the village' som skulle være meget stille og roligt, men samtidig meget centralt - ved ikke hvordan det er skateboard-mæssigt dog, men der skulle quartersnacks spot-guiden gerne kunne hjælpe jer!

Derudover har jeg fået anbefalet Saint Marks Hotel, da jeg også selv skal til New York inden længe. MEGET billigt i forhold til den gode belligenhed!
http://stmarkshotel.net/

I hope others with more insight in New York will be able to help out as well, this was just my two cents.

Brooklyn Zoo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »
Harlem is okay and Brooklyn is okay, new york city is pretty small and with the exception of queens you can get anywhere from anywhere in under 45 minutes on public transit. You can also get robbed in any neighborhood whether its nice or ghetto, especially if you walk around looking like a confused tourist, map in hand gawking at street signs, just don't do any of that and you'll be fine
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

RoedGroed -> I found some decent places on that website too, I think we're gonna go with a place from that site. It seems like most people aren't too fond of renting out their place to young europeans as I got rejected without reason from the first 4 or so that were supposed to be available. I did find 2 good ones though,so now we're just choosing between some times square apartment or soho loft.

And Brooklyn Zoo, thanks for that too. Im sure we'll fit in just fine but I dont want to be all naive and think everythings good and then get fucked up when we leave the apartment late or something, haha.

china white

• Rep: 5
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha fuck, I better bring some snus so that I can bargain with the gangsters then

in all seriousness, you would be a lot better off purchasing a few packs of Newports once you get here for these exact purposes.

china white

• Rep: 5
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

RoedGroed -> I found some decent places on that website too, I think we're gonna go with a place from that site. It seems like most people aren't too fond of renting out their place to young europeans as I got rejected without reason from the first 4 or so that were supposed to be available. I did find 2 good ones though,so now we're just choosing between some times square apartment or soho loft.

And Brooklyn Zoo, thanks for that too. Im sure we'll fit in just fine but I dont want to be all naive and think everythings good and then get fucked up when we leave the apartment late or something, haha.

How sure are you?

I think that wherever you are, tourists tend to stick out. That's the thing about being a tourist. If I went to Sweden, even if I respected and upheld the local customs, you, your boys, people in general, would probably know that I was not from around there.

New York is not so hairy anymore, although as the other dude said, anything can happen anywhere, at anytime. If you are nervous about something along these lines happening, some decent advice would be to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Meaning, always have a decent idea of what is happening a block ahead and behind you and if you're not a complete moron you should be fine. I guess this advice can be applied anywhere, but especially in NY, as it is so densely populated, and one block can be pretty nice, but walk a couple more blocks and you're in the projects.

As far as where to stay...in Manhattan... if your two options are Times Square and Soho, I would go with Soho. 

Yes, Midtown (Times Square area) has so many amazing spots, but security is very rigid. You may be able to hit spots, but probably not post up and session spots. And, you're probably just looking at night sessions. It would be better for you to just take the subway there, as it is a pretty god-awful place to be if you are not actively riding a skateboard at that particular second. For example, wake up in the morning and want to sit at a decent cafe, not a chain/fast-food restaurant, grab a bit of breakfast and enjoy a decent cup of coffee? I'm not saying that this could not happen here, but it is not so likely...

Whereas downtown, in your case Soho, is also in close proximity to a lot of spots, and has a lot more going on, pre- and post- skateboarding hours, in every way imaginable, pretty much. Soho also probably has one of the highest concentrations of ridiculously hot women in the US, although I'm guessing that will be more on an eye-candy level for you guys. Not commenting on your player-status, just saying, generally speaking, these types of chicks may be more impressed by a black credit card that a few sweaty dudes on skateboards. Yes, I'm throwing around a lot of stereotypes, but hey, that's how people generally navigate the world.

Brooklyn Zoo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »
also when on the trains, if you are playing around with your iphone/ipod hold onto it with your whole hand rather then ever so gently like alot of people do. so many times ive seen the dude sitting next to me get his iphone snatched while watching a movie just because he was only holding it ever so gently with his index finger and thumb. By the time they realize that some dude just snatched and ran with their phone the doors have closed and the trains moving again.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
First of all, thank you for the great responses.

About the sticking out thing. Yeah, we probably will stick out, and we'll speak swedish to eachother all the time so that pretty much gives it away right there. Plus what you said is true too, you can always tell that someones not from there...

This is not my first trip to the US and ive been traveling quite a bit in my life so im not completely clueless, but everytime someone talks about new york its like there are jungle laws or something. Just like your little phone on the subway story there, so thanks for the advice.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Im so fucking hyped on this trip, Ive been wanting to go my whole life. 

Brooklyn Zoo

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
i forgot to mention, if you stand perfectly still, or smear yourself in their droppings muggers wont be able to see/smell you.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 11:23:14 PM »
What dates are you coming? I believe a friend of mine in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn is bouncing to France for the month of June. It's a small one bedroom but if you aren't looking for much, it's a steal.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
What dates are you coming? I believe a friend of mine in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn is bouncing to France for the month of June. It's a small one bedroom but if you aren't looking for much, it's a steal.

Hes away the whole month? We're there june 20th - july 2nd.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
The city is pretty safe, really, but...

When you get off the plane and have collected your luggage, get in an official taxi line and don't get in a car with one of the guys who may try to sell you on riding with them.

During the daylight, as long as you aren't doing dumb shit, you should be fine just about everywhere.  If you are in the cuts, some kids might try to vibe you, but its unlikely you are going to get robbed or attacked.

At night, don't do dumb shit, and try to keep to the nicer neighborhoods/avoid the projects.  Mid-town and Downtown have a ton of spots that are too crowded to skate during the day, so this shouldn't too hard on you.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Those are the kind of tips I was looking for, thanks alot.

I read a few of the other new york threads and apparently autumn was the shit, but thats closed down now right? So what skateshops should we hit up when we get there?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Autumn's retail location is gone.  I work right down by DQM, Supreme, and a Blades location.  Between the three I can usually find what I need.  If you go by the NE corner of Houston and Broadway in the afternoon, you might find Mike Wright hustling some 'I (skate) NY' boards and shirts to the Soho crowds.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
Sounds great man, thanks for taking the time to help.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
Sounds great man, thanks for taking the time to help.

PM me when its getting close to your departure date and we can try to meet up and skate.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
Sounds great man, I'll try to remember that!

The Muffin Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
http://quartersnacks.com/spots/

You wanted spots? These dudes got spots.

Being short is the motorcycle of life.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
http://quartersnacks.com/spots/

You wanted spots? These dudes got spots.

Thanks alot man. Never been this hyped on a trip before!

coffee cold

• Rep: -4
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
on a non-related skate tip...anyone got any suggestions for nightlife activities?
good bar or a club, cheap prices for beer and/or entrance preferred and what's up with smoking indoors, is that allowed anywhere?

gkn00dlez

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
I too will be in New York in June. (6-14)

All of the previous times I have been to New York I was bogged down with "real life" so skating was minimal, but this trip is all about free time.  A cold beer and some jokes are in store for any heads who are down push around and show a homie around. A bonus beer will be given to anyone who can help me find the ever growing number of spots I have stockpiled.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
on a non-related skate tip...anyone got any suggestions for nightlife activities?
good bar or a club, cheap prices for beer and/or entrance preferred and what's up with smoking indoors, is that allowed anywhere?

Smoking in-doors is not allowed. Bars/clubs?  There are tons of places you can go have a great time. I recommend the Dustin Dollin technique of walking around until you hear one playing music you like and going in for a drink. Pretty much Nothing is cheap in the city. If you aren't looking to spend much on drinks, definitely skip the bars/clubs, go to a bodega and brown bag it.

All of the previous times I have been to New York I was bogged down with "real life" so skating was minimal, but this trip is all about free time.  A cold beer and some jokes are in store for any heads who are down push around and show a homie around. A bonus beer will be given to anyone who can help me find the ever growing number of spots I have stockpiled.

PM me when your trip is getting near.  We can try to meet up. 

gkn00dlez

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Smoking in-doors is not allowed. Bars/clubs?  There are tons of places you can go have a great time. I recommend the Dustin Dollin technique of walking around until you hear one playing music you like and going in for a drink. Pretty much Nothing is cheap in the city. If you aren't looking to spend much on drinks, definitely skip the bars/clubs, go to a bodega and brown bag it.

Expand Quote

[close]

PM me when your trip is getting near.  We can try to meet up. 

Word. I'll shoot you a PM sometime soon.

bandini

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »
After 2 weeks in NYC, I'm starting to understand why the city has such a gnarly rep, skate-wise. Contrary to what east coasters tend to say, the actual *ground* here is not any rougher than most California towns - in fact, the town I moved from near Sacramento was far worse.

However, you seriously gotta be awake when skating in Manhattan or you'll pretty much be dead: clipped by a cab screeching around the corner, going AGAINST the light, mowed down by some suicidal bicyclist jamming totally silently through an intersection... traffic signs, lights, etc are pretty much just a suggestion here. It's mostly every man for himself. Fucking nuts, but I'm loving it.:)

And being able to just take the elevator downstairs, nod at the doorman, throw the board down & roll right out the door & down the sidewalk, rather than DRIVING for an hour every time I want to skate - that shit is priceless...