Author Topic: Bearing creeps out  (Read 1204 times)

SSK9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Bearing creeps out
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
Anybody ever had a problem with their wheel bearing working itself part way out of the wheel and causing the wheel to bind?
I have Bones super reds and Bones Jimmy the Greek 54 mm wheels that I really like, it's just that the bearing won't stay all the way seated in the wheel. they slip out and cause the wheel to bind and then I have to take the wheels off and re-seat the bearings after riding on them for about 15 min. 

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Bearing creeps out
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »
Ive never experienced that but it sounds annoying as fuck. buy new wheels.

SSK9

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:57:52 AM »
Ya it really is annoying, sucks cause I really liked the wheels. I just sent an email to Bones customer service asking if I can return the wheels for a new set so I guess I'll see what happens.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 130
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
put spacers on the inside then crank the axle nut down.

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »
if your local shop has a bearing press trying using that, maybe it'll help get them seated in the wheel properly.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »
I had something similar happen when I tried a set of OJ III 54s for shit and grins.  I went from a set of Jimmy the Greek 54s and to the OJs for a while but noticed that inside of the wheels had stretched/distorted to the point that the bearing wasn't seated snug and you could twist the wheel by hand and see that the bearing was really loose inside the wheel but I never had it pop out.  My fix was to ditch the OJs and go back to the Jimmy the Greeks.   

Also,  I definitely noticed how more I like the feel of the Bones wheels after switching back.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
I've had it happen with 4 or 5 sets of spitfires. just another reason not to buy them.

SSK9

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:13:01 AM »
put spacers on the inside then crank the axle nut down.

That was a pretty good idea, I tried that and it worked on several wheels. I put two washers on the inside and two on the outside.
It kind of looks to me like with the conical shape/design of the wheel doesn't leave a deep enough wheel well for the bearings to sit in but I'm no engineer.
I'm sticking with Bones for now. I went and got a set of Bones SPF Po Po's 54mm, try those out tomorrow.
Bones customer service emailed me back and gave me an address to return the 54mm Jimmy the Greek wheels so I'm sending them back.
Guess I'll find out how much Bones will back their product.

SSK9

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Bones customer service sent me a brand new set of wheels, the Jimmy the Greek pin up girl 54 mm.
I like a company that stands by their product, thanks guys you're awesome!