Author Topic: Aches and Pains  (Read 3362 times)

ShreddyKrueger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Aches and Pains
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
Been skating about four years now and i think my body is starting to actually fall to peices. i'm 23 and generally have sprained wrists/ankles most of the time and really tired legs and back. i've noticed that after a heavy session these problems are taking longer and longer to resolve themselves, especially tired legs, even though i warm up/stretch out properly. it sucks because for up to a week afterwards i can't skate or i can only skate for a short time. not sure if im just getting too old or im doing something wrong. what does anyone else do to combat this shit? any help is super appreciated.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Aches and Pains
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
as someone who's almost 40 it's hard to have sympathy for you.. 

i don't know, try to take care of your body better?  stay in shape and eat your wheaties
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Tardvark

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
stop with those 25 stair switch flips brah

TONY!

• Rep: -19
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
eat healthy, don't drink/smoke

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
lol @ getting too old.

your body is like a car, and you must take care of MULTIPLE things for it to run at its best. no need super-organized lifestyle or anything just eat (generally) healthy, dont smoke cigs or drink too much, and get a good amount of sleep ona nightly basis. also wear midtops & cupsoles to protect your feet and ankles

another word of advice dont be afraid to rest your body for a few days even with minor sprains & aches. allow yourself to heal instead of delaying the process & possibly worsening the injury

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
wear midtops & cupsoles to protect your feet and ankles

in the middle of doing this right now.. sick of getting popped in the ankles doing flip tricks. extra incentive to wear out the low vulcs i have left, i guess

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
wear midtops & cupsoles to protect your feet and ankles

[close]

in the middle of doing this right now.. sick of getting popped in the ankles doing flip tricks. extra incentive to wear out the low vulcs i have left, i guess

Dog I've had so many times where I've landed awkward on what could've been bad ankle rolls but ended up being fine. Once you get used to em midtops don't limit your mobility and the ankle protection is definitely worth it. I always wore mostly cupsoles but it wasn't until I skated a few vulcs that I realized how much they do help. I can jump down gaps all day in some dunks but even mellow shit can hurt more than it needs to when I'm skating vulcs

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
I have all kinds of stupid shit wrong with my right leg.  I fucked it up a few different times drunk and it's hasn't been 100% in 3 years.  I'm only 25 though so I thought it was weird too, but I just had to stop treating my body like shit and I did a little physical therapy.  It's getting better this year finally.  A little less cheeseburgers, cigarettes, and cokes.  More stretching, water, exercise. 

FART BOY

• Rep: 10
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
Like what everyone said, eating healthy/no smoking is your best bet. I'm only 19 and I can already feel my stamina with skating being cut back. It really does suck from being out for almost the whole day to about half or less, I need to take my own advice and gather some will power and stop.

But the only aches and pains that affect me occasionally is my knee.. I fucked it up pretty good a few years ago and it hasn't been the same since. I hit it against a chair not too long ago and I could still feel there's something wrong with it.

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
Injuries are lame, but the best advice really is to just rest when hurt.. I rekindled the fire recently and was learning news tricks pretty much everyday. That and landing all my tricks consistently. Then the cockiness got to me and I decided to jump off some big shit in some thinner vulc shoes.. I want to say I got an "advanced heel bruise" from landing directly on my heel as a bail. Since then, it's hurt to apply any sort of pressure to my heel (evening walking) and naturally I'm fucking bummed.

To make matters worse, I made the mistake of attempting to skate like normal immediately afterwards. I'm only 18 and everyday I wake up pissed at myself for getting hurt and making the injury worse by skating on it so soon.

Gathering the willpower to just stop and rest is the first step to healing. I feel it slowly healing, but I know it'll be a few more weeks to a month before I'm 100% again. Take time to meditate on healing the injury and allow your body the chance to rest.

Reading through the thread, it seems common consensus that drinking and smoking definitely deter the body and it's health (no shit sherlock..) Fucking teenage friends and their lust for partying.. Although it seems like something fun to do when you're hurt, you wake up feeling like shit and your body requires even more time to heal. Eat healthy, have a healthy and unclouded mind, stay positive, and don't skate when you feel as though you physically cannot. Was just talking to a homie of my mine today who's been out for almost a year from getting hit by a car. He wants to skate so badly and I can take it from him as inspiration to take a break once in a while.

To sum it up. Stretch, exercise, eat right, work out the specific area of injury (within limit), lay off the drugs (more for those who do them than you probably), and focus on healing.

You got it. We all got it..

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
lately ive been noticing a lil muscle pain on the side of my knee. not enough to really bother me while skating (which is kinda strange cuz i skate a lot of high impact stuff & ollie on top of everything on some westgate shit) but it tends to get a bit sore after a while of skating. not enough to really hurt like that but it can kinda bother me a little. its like that knee gets tired faster than my other one. i've rested it a few days atta time for the past 2 weeks now and it really isnt that bad but it still makes me nervous sometimes when i land weird, like im one fall away from totally screwing up my knee. in the past ive had some bad knee injuries on both legs so its always in the back of my head when i skate. does anybody know of any good foods, vitamins, etc. to help with muscle soreness? i just wanna get it back to 100% as soon as possible

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
glucosamine pills. they will save your joints from a lot of pain.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
Exercise....because when you hurt yourself and have to go to physio....you'll do it versus just being bummed and drunk.

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
Tiger Balm. Works like a charm. I also got into yoga recently. It clears your head and let your body feel great.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Tiger Balm. Works like a charm. I also got into yoga recently. It clears your head and let your body feel great.

yoga's always been something ive wanted to get into. any basic routines you can suggest?

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsC1YdXqOc

Basically just some really basic searches will provide so much. it will help if you get a matt. I think doing it in the morning and at night would be best.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 05:54:49 AM »
glucosamine pills. they will save your joints from a lot of pain.

Totally backing this. My right knee has been sore for a while now and I was only skating a few days at a time just to let it heal but progress was fairly slow. Been taking glucosamine pills for the past week without skating and my knee feels like its almost 100% now, which is saying something cuz it really hasn't been at full strength in years.