Author Topic: #sk8videos?  (Read 2504 times)

Zurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
#sk8videos?
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
this thread may quickly end with a "google it" result, but does IRC and more specifically the sk8videos channel still exist? did anyone used to go on it?

with megaupload and that odias video blog shutting down and pretty much all the other file sharing sites being slow as fuck, it seems like some of the older/less popular vids could disappear from the internet. IRC always had some rarer stuff if you dug around and it would probably be a lot harder for companies to have vids removed from there as well.

my IRC knowledge doesnt really go past the "get" command and using those lists in the main channel, but to people who know IRC, would it be worth remaking(if its down) or making popular again?

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
Re: #sk8videos?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
i think it would. sure, tons of stuff is up on youtube, but 3 min clips aren't the same as having a full video that you can play anywhere in its entirety. assuming nothing else of the sort exists, i'll help out. anyone else wanna chime in on this?

thugnificent

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
i was heavy in the irc game from sk8videos to svchat we need to get that shit goin again

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
I checked a few days ago 2 people have been online.

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
I ripped videos for that channel since the age of 14 and I'm 25 now..  I think people just got too comfortable with the "pm please" and using the file sharing sites.  What they failed to realize is that #sk8videos might actually require you to use possibly 10 minutes of thinking to figure out how to get to it and use it, but then we don't have to deal with links being taken down and all the bullshit.  I don't know if I have the energy to keep it alive again with the og's...  I mainly deal with a skate DVDR channel now. 

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
getting organized with torrents would be better nowadays - no need for setting up FTP scripts in IRC and everyone can share their upload (also wy more user friendly). just pick a torrent sharing site and get an informal group going. someone please share some insight about creating torrents please

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
I checked a few days ago 2 people have been online.

this

we need to start some new shit

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »
ayo i'd be willing to help donate some files if ya'll serious about startin some shit up

i got a couple full videos on my HD.

Alien Workshop - 2000 Photosynthesis
City Stars - 2001 Street Cinema
Deca - 2001 2nd To None
Eastern Exposure - 1996 Three
Eastern Exposure - 1996 Zero
FTC - Trilogy 1993-96-97
P.J. Ladd's Wonderful, Horrible, Life
Zoo York - 1998 Mix Tape

and more.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:25:42 PM by Big Skatefase »

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
nope. doesnt exist anymore. i still have almost all of the videos that were available from #sk8videos, a few hundred videos i think... a long list.  lets get something going!

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
nope. doesnt exist anymore. i still have almost all of the videos that were available from #sk8videos, a few hundred videos i think... a long list.  lets get something going!

IRC was just another time, no skate company had the time or the money to give a shit who is ripping and serving the videos. On IRC your IP ddress was or is visible to everyone who is downloading from you.
Also the person or BOTserver you are downloading from saw or sees your real IP.

I think nowadays you cant do that without some proxy or whatever that hides your real IP.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
I've got around 1TB of rips - about 900 of them (dvdrips, DVD isos and a few never 720p and Nike Debacle 1080p). But that's the external disc - can't share them all at the same time.

ige

• Rep: -74
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
I agree, that the only possible way to share skate videos today would be via torrents and magnet links, which are really hard to track down.

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
Torrents still would not be a good idea...  They are so easily tracked that unless I'm downloading two years or older I go out of my way to find another means so I do not get cease and desist letters from ISPs.  The only problem people have with IRC is that it is unfamiliar.  It is not simple plug and play to use, therefore it's not worth the trouble to them.  The simple facts are that under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act it is the only means of sharing files that exists on the Internet that cannot be shut down or even really monitored.  The reason being is that it is technically a humongous chat service, not necessarily file sharing, but that is what people have learned how to do. 

It really is just pure laziness.  If everyone used mIRC then there would be none of this copyright stuff going on.  They are just too lazy to learn the few basic commands the very non complex syntax for locating files and requesting them from servers or bots.  They would rather just ask for a link to simply hit "Download."  If people want to make a collective effort to get the channel going again I would gladly be a part of continuing it, but I feel as if I've done enough work for it to be ruined on an easy way to post the videos.  Shortcuts are never really a good thing.  It's because of the shortcuts that are all getting shut down that I can't go into that channel anymore and simply download the video. 

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
i have a pretty extensive collection from #sk8videos myself. havent been on in years but that would be great if we could set up a way to get everyone sharing again.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
so what's the state of software? I've been using Kubuntu for 8 years now and I've never had any luck setting an irc ftp server. After a bit of googling it looks like there isn't any change in that department now. What about Windows?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »
i think it would. sure, tons of stuff is up on youtube, but 3 min clips aren't the same as having a full video that you can play anywhere in its entirety. assuming nothing else of the sort exists, i'll help out. anyone else wanna chime in on this?

Youtube doesnt just have 3 min clips, it also has quite a few full vids...

Lakai Fully Flared - 2007 - Full Video
Girl - Yeah Right
Emerica - This is Skateboarding

etc. just add the word full to your search

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »
one wrong song and youtube will mute (or block) your whole clip. and let's not get into the shitty quality...

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
not to mention its just nice having the full video files in your possession to put them on media systems, watch offline, burn to dvd, etc.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
hm hm hm orjustbuythedvd hm hm