Author Topic: How to beat the heat when skating.  (Read 5680 times)

BraveUlysses

Re: How to beat the heat when skating.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote
How do kids wear those beanies in the summer though?!? That shit makes ME hot.
[close]

It's all about the fashion haha.
I ain't even gonna act like I wasn't one of those kids three years ago though. My beanie would be so heavy from all the sweat.

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
Basketball jerseys.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do kids wear those beanies in the summer though?!? That shit makes ME hot.
[close]

It's all about the fashion haha.
[close]
I ain't even gonna act like I wasn't one of those kids three years ago though. My beanie would be so heavy from all the sweat.

I feel you, sometimes things like that are just habits.

A.J.K.

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
forreal tho it would seriously benefit yall to step up yo shorts game in the summer. its much more comfortable to skate in the heat & personally i prefer to wear shorts. yes shinners & small cuts can hurt sometimes but really its not like that half inch of denim is protecting you from that much, nor are you more prone to shinners just cuz you have shorts on. the only thing pants protect you from are those small, unnoticeable cuts on your calves n whatnot. when you feel that breeze flow thru legs you'll realize that it really is SOOOO much better to skate in shorts, especially if its 90 degrees and up.

sometimes ill even go all out and wear  basketball shorts although its not always preferable for every situation. slightly baggy cargo shorts seem to be the most optimal way to go
Backing this.  I've never really been into shorts (not even just to wear not skating) but it's way too hot out for black jeans.  Just went out and skated and it makes a world of difference. 

Also, this is mental thing and maybe only something that helps me, but stay away from spots/park you know you'll get easily bored at.  Nothing worse then it being hot as fuck and being at a spot that is boring as fuck, and is draining even in the best of weather.

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
forreal tho it would seriously benefit yall to step up yo shorts game in the summer. its much more comfortable to skate in the heat & personally i prefer to wear shorts. yes shinners & small cuts can hurt sometimes but really its not like that half inch of denim is protecting you from that much, nor are you more prone to shinners just cuz you have shorts on. the only thing pants protect you from are those small, unnoticeable cuts on your calves n whatnot. when you feel that breeze flow thru legs you'll realize that it really is SOOOO much better to skate in shorts, especially if its 90 degrees and up.

sometimes ill even go all out and wear?  basketball shorts although its not always preferable for every situation. slightly baggy cargo shorts seem to be the most optimal way to go
[close]
Backing this.?  I've never really been into shorts (not even just to wear not skating) but it's way too hot out for black jeans.?  Just went out and skated and it makes a world of difference.? 

Also, this is mental thing and maybe only something that helps me, but stay away from spots/park you know you'll get easily bored at.?  Nothing worse then it being hot as fuck and being at a spot that is boring as fuck, and is draining even in the best of weather.

I find, if I am out with friends I don't think about it as much. The heat is still there but "fun" and keeping your mind off it helps.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
do A LOT of heroin and then stop, the withdrawal will make you cold and cancel out the heat

I like this.  You can counter the feelings of nausea and fatigue with aderall and a bottle of cold pepto.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »
tonnes a water and a wifebeater, sweat towels are a must! i dont understand the dudes who sesh in the height of summer wearing beanies and theres hoods up wtf is that about man? i was at an indoor comp last week and ben nordberg shows up with a rolled up beanie and a hoody, temp must have been close to 100 in that place... shit is fucked up

fashion over function indeed

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

skater6780

• Rep: -16
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Bring Somthing that that can hold alot of water and prefreeze half of it, then it always freezing. other then that take breaks and sit in the shade

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
Indoor skatepark help, and spots with shade.

TheDonutFather

• Rep: -3
    • DOUBLE DONUTS. avatar image
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
Texas fucking sucks during the summer, not too many places worse than here thanks to the humidity. Clouds disappear for three months.

Last summer I took calcium daily and stayed hydrated. I have a shit ton of hair so hats don't fit too well but I found a way around that this time.

No shorts for me. LOL @ the heroin strategy.

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Lately our strategy has been: go to Wawa and get the biggest soda cup you can get (NJ STILL HAS 32oz+!!) and fill that fucker full of ice. Then split a gallon of water with whoever your with. The cup of ice is free and keeps your water nice and cold.

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
It was posted earlier but stressing out in the heat is the worst.
That's why skating hills equal automatic breeze  8)

midwestmiddleman

• Rep: -88
  • Pantheistprowler
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
skate in the woods or by a creek and do some spacewalks. take notes on were to find bubblers around town. use cuts to get to the spot. push like you mean it.. skitching is effective.cut back of power slides to reduce friction and maintain speed. Dont be scared to ask for water cups and get some powerade instead.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
WEAR WINTER CLOTHES LIKE THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE FROM THE DESERT

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »
skate in the woods or by a creek and do some spacewalks. take notes on were to find bubblers around town. use cuts to get to the spot. push like you mean it.. skitching is effective.cut back of power slides to reduce friction and maintain speed. Dont be scared to ask for water cups and get some powerade instead.

Are you from Wisconsin? I am asking because you called it a bubbler instead of water fountain hahah.

Simon Sandleshit

• Rep: -1
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
I used to skate in only jeans and a shirt every day in the previous summers. I recently just started skating in some light athletic shorts and a t shirt. I got over the leg getting fucked up without pants fear deal, i skate equally as good. I bombed a hill in that the other day, one I'd never done before and i was flying. I almost died but i knew if i crashed i was really gonna get fucked up, so i stayed on and rode it out.

midwestmiddleman

• Rep: -88
  • Pantheistprowler
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you from Wisconsin? I am asking because you called it a bubbler instead of water fountain hahah.

Shh..

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
FDR is the best in the summer.  So much shade, so much hesh. haha

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image