Author Topic: Toronto Vs. Vancouver.  (Read 8789 times)

HairyCunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -348
Re: Toronto Vs. Vancouver.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Expand Quote
if you're moving in 6 months, i would definitely say vancouver. the west coast has bad weather during the winter months, but it's not nearly as bad as the east coast.

i've never actually been to toronto, but i'll meet people from there, who are glad that they've moved to vancouver. vancouver isn't exactly cheap, you must be picky about what area you choose to live in when you decide to come, and watch out for fake craigslist apartment scams if that's how you plan on finding a place.

if you're actually going to do it, and need some help getting the wheels in motion, let me know. i'd be glad to help.
[close]

You must love rain!

I should be moving to North Van from the UK around Nov/Dec, in case I have to resort to craigslist whhat should I be looking out for ?

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »
If your moving to North Van you should look for places near Capilano University. There are a lot of places to rent in that area because of the school and there's good access to public transpiration as well. It's also across the bridge from East Van which is kind of the hub for the skate community in Vancouver.

Thanks, vancanman.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
Lower lonsdale might be good too, it's one Seabus to downtown but will prolly not be as cheap. 

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »
Lower lonsdale might be good too, it's one Seabus to downtown but will prolly not be as cheap. 

Lower Lonsdale is where my employer has suggested and I have lived there before, it will be perfect for getting to work as I will be at one of the Mountains.

Is Dryspot still open and the only indoor park in the Vancouver area ?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »
Yea its open still.there's probably some mini ramps indoors in vancouver somewhere.half of the tranny at chuck bailey park in surrey is covered and skateable while raining.other then that its parking garages.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
no offense to Canadians, but why would you want to move to Canada?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

HairyCunt

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »

Seriously, it's the worst, well not worse than China.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
Dry spot is small and not everyone is nuts about paying $10.....you can't really bank on an indoor mini either.....leeside is good....it's all DIY stuff....it's covered.  Theres a few parking garages.... Admittedly there isnt a ton of indooor stuff to skate.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty weak argument. Is this what "trolling" is?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
Now now.....no need to fight...Vancouver combines Canada with china! 

HairyCunt

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty weak argument. Is this what "trolling" is?

I'm just comparing it with the worst place I've been. It's dull and the weather is total shit and the people are annoying.  Secondly, it's right next to the best pace in the world so why not just skip Canada?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
i would think if you're from Ireland, which has some notoriously shit weather a lot of the time, you'd want to move somewhere that has really good weather.  i'm sure Canada has decent summers, but it's still freezing more than half the year

also, the Canadians
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
After hearing for 10 years how awesome Vancouver was I finally went there earlier this year for a month. In short, I thought it totally sucked.

On my second day there, I walked into Anti-Social skate shop bought a shirt. Then asked if I could use a skate key. The lady working there looked at me like I was an idiot and after a few awkward moments came over and opened an unlabeled drawer and put the tool on in the table in front of.

"Sorry", I passively aggressively said "it's my first time here".

She said nothing and looked at me with a gnarly bitch face - which Canadian women are so good and doing.

Aside from that unpleasant experience - which could happen anywhere - I wasn't really that impressed with the city. Has a weird combination of douche-bag/bro/snowboard culture, green-yuppies and loads of people from Ontario who are constantly re-enforcing how Ontario (Onterrible, as they cleverly call it) sucks.

If you're into hiking, camping and anything nature. It trumps Toronto hands down. But personally, I love Toronto. Lived here for a long time and gets better every year.

If you're into street skating, Toronto is the shit. The downtown, despite having tonnes of spots capped, still has loads of shit to skate and stuff that's never been skated. Then, there is the neighborhoods. All kinds of random 'creative' spots which are seemingly endless if you're willing to lurk them out.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:44:04 PM by Canuck »

HairyCunt

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »
After hearing for 10 years how awesome Vancouver was I finally went there earlier this year for a month. In short, I thought it totally sucked.

On my second day there, I walked into Anti-Social skate shop bought a shirt. Then asked if I could use a skate key. The lady working there looked at me like I was an idiot and after a few awkward moments came over and opened an unlabeled drawer and put the tool on in the table in front of.

"Sorry", I passively aggressively said "it's my first time here".

She said nothing and looked at me with a gnarly bitch face - which Canadian women are so good and doing.

Aside from that unpleasant experience - which could happen anywhere - I wasn't really that impressed with the city. Has a weird combination of douche-bag/bro/snowboard culture, green-yuppies and loads of people from Ontario who are constantly re-enforcing how Ontario (Onterrible, as they cleverly call it) sucks.

If you're into hiking, camping and anything nature. It trumps Toronto hands down. But personally, I love Toronto. Lived here for a long time and gets better every year.

If you're into street skating, Toronto is the shit. The downtown, despite having tonnes of spots capped, still has loads of shit to skate and stuff that's never been skated. Then, there is the neighborhoods. All kinds of random 'creative' spots which are seemingly endless if you're willing to lurk them out.

That sums up Canadians nicely. If you're going to Toronto just go to NY instead it's close and a million times better. Toronto is imitation NY. Toronto has nothing going on. It's not worth it.

filter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
it's a matter of perspective, personally i'd want to be in a place thats nothing like NYC

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
it's a matter of perspective, personally i'd want to be in a place thats nothing like NYC

afghanistan?

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
There has been a few changes of plans beyond my control so me and a few friends are now going to Toronto which should be awesome, A few mates of mine who spent sometime there have been and spoke very highly about it. Just wondering what areas would be the best place to look for a nice 2-3 bedroom kind of place? Just looking for somewhere that would be central and convenient for public transport and stuff and close to some good bars and the like. Any help at all would be great. Thanks.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
wait till the spring at least man
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

my pregnant head

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 04:13:42 AM »

I will most likely be heading over sometime around mid January/early February.  I know its still gonna be really cold then but I'm kind of looking forward to it. Weather like that is a bit of novelty considering our winters are usually just super wet as opposed to freezing.

HairyCunt

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I will most likely be heading over sometime around mid January/early February.  I know its still gonna be really cold then but I'm kind of looking forward to it. Weather like that is a bit of novelty considering our winters are usually just super wet as opposed to freezing.

How dumb can you be? You are going there at the worst time of year, and will not be skating for sure! Do you have family there or something? Who would come to North America and go to Toronto first, in winter!!?

my pregnant head

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How dumb can you be? You are going there at the worst time of year, and will not be skating for sure! Do you have family there or something? Who would come to North America and go to Toronto first, in winter!!?

I dunno if you realize but getting a visa for the states for any length of time longer than 90 days is a total bitch. I could get get a graduate visa  but thats just because I only graduated this year but that Isn't an option for some of the people I'm traveling with so we agreed to just head to Canada and maybe make a few extended trips down to the U.S over the course of the year. Sure it'll be cold when I arrive but its not gonna stay like that all year round. Also, one of the people I'm going with actually managed to swing a job in a law firm starting january so that was kind of our minds made up. I have my reasons, dude.

HairyCunt

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I dunno if you realize but getting a visa for the states for any length of time longer than 90 days is a total bitch. I could get get a graduate visa  but thats just because I only graduated this year but that Isn't an option for some of the people I'm traveling with so we agreed to just head to Canada and maybe make a few extended trips down to the U.S over the course of the year. Sure it'll be cold when I arrive but its not gonna stay like that all year round. Also, one of the people I'm going with actually managed to swing a job in a law firm starting january so that was kind of our minds made up. I have my reasons, dude.

Too bad. Oh well at least you'll be close.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
Toronto > Vancouver any fucking day of the week.

You like rain and hippies? Go to vancouver. Toronto is a true metropolis with good (enough) public transit. Great parties, you just need to find the right neighbourhoods, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

There are some decent skate spots in Vancouver too, and the big rocks in the distance are rather nice.

If you can, try and do both. Hell, if you can fit in MTL and Halifax, do it up. Then you'll get a great tour of this great country.

my pregnant head

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »

You like rain and hippies? Go to vancouver. Toronto is a true metropolis with good (enough) public transit. Great parties, you just need to find the right neighbourhoods, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

There are some decent skate spots in Vancouver too, and the big rocks in the distance are rather nice.

If you can, try and do both. Hell, if you can fit in MTL and Halifax, do it up. Then you'll get a great tour of this great country.

Thanks for the tips, man. What neighborhoods should we look for places in do you think?

HairyCunt

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

::) Canada sucks. Don't give him high hopes. It's literally the most boring place on Earth.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the tips, man. What neighborhoods should we look for places in do you think?

probably in the west part of the downtown. im kinda saying that because its where i and a lot of my friends live, but it seems to have the most happening. as a reference id say dont go much farther east than yonge(pretty much the very center of downtown, but its pretty touristy and shitty), dont move north of st. clair and dont move west of high park. those other areas arent necessarily bad, just giving my opinion

my pregnant head

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

probably in the west part of the downtown. im kinda saying that because its where i and a lot of my friends live, but it seems to have the most happening. as a reference id say dont go much farther east than yonge(pretty much the very center of downtown, but its pretty touristy and shitty), dont move north of st. clair and dont move west of high park. those other areas arent necessarily bad, just giving my opinion

Much obliged.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Much obliged.

Places around King/Queen and Dufferin would be good places to party for a young skater crowd.

my pregnant head

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »
Thanks again. We are still waiting to even begin visa applications. They said they are gonna reopen sometime in the "fall" but I think it must have been pushed back because apparently they are granting more canadian visas to Ireland this year. So I won't be able to do much with this information for a few months yet but thanks. Anyone that has helped me out, consider yourself owed a pint when I arrive.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »

Do any of you folks in Toronto know where this is?