Author Topic: Europe Trip  (Read 4421 times)

twitchflip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Europe Trip
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:38 AM »
Hey all,
At the end of September im leaving Australia for Europe with a 1-way ticket. I have no real itinerary and I plan to be over there for a few years. My plan is essentially to have no plan; just wing it. Im heading over there with a friend who also skates. We have ideas of where we would like to go but we figure 'going where ever the wind blows ' would be an awesome adventure. That said, I was wondering if you guys could recommend countries/places/skate spots/ parties/ festivals etc. that you think we should check out? What are some of the pro's and con's of each country?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Europe Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »
Go to Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain next March.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »
europe is 10,5 million square kilometer big, i guess you have to ask a little bit more specific to get a proper answer.

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:13:54 AM »
As said before, Europe is pretty big and really diverse from country to country.

I can only speak about the places Ive been and where I live though - I wrote a lot about Denmark in here, check it out. There is also a lot of info on Germany and so on. But feel free to ask or pm if you have any questions or anything regarding the things i covered here.

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=59309.0

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
I personally can help with Italy if you got some questions
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
did you win the lottery?

twitchflip

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:17:43 AM »
Go to Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain next March.
thanks mate, did a quick search and it looks awesome!

europe is 10,5 million square kilometer big, i guess you have to ask a little bit more specific to get a proper answer.
this is true, apologies for being vague. I just want to know what people thought of different places they've been; great skate spots, good party scene, what to look out for etc.

As said before, Europe is pretty big and really diverse from country to country.
I can only speak about the places Ive been and where I live though - I wrote a lot about Denmark in here, check it out. There is also a lot of info on Germany and so on. But feel free to ask or pm if you have any questions or anything regarding the things i covered here.
http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=59309.0
cheers. denmark looks amazing! so keen to check out Aarhus.. that amarger skatepark looks  :o

I personally can help with Italy if you got some questions
Italy seems like a great place to visit. My friend who im travelling with has an Italian passport so we will definitely be spending time there. Where would you recommend that isn't saturated with tourists?

did you win the lottery?
unfortunately not  :-\ I've been working and saving since I finished Uni. I've been promising myself this trip for years

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Italy... check out Trieste, almost no tourists and the city has a lot of hills, where on top of one you'll find a neat little skatepark. Check out YT for more info...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]
cheers. denmark looks amazing! so keen to check out Aarhus.. that amarger skatepark looks?  :o

The sickest thing about it is that its not a skatepark. Its real street! Lots of things is happening here all the time though, new spots pop up all the time. So many new plazas has been built since that post haha!

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
Do you have a euro passport as well? Otherwise I'd also recommend checking out visa regulations.
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:41 AM »
Italy seems like a great place to visit. My friend who im travelling with has an Italian passport so we will definitely be spending time there. Where would you recommend that isn't saturated with tourists?

Never been to Trieste but that could be interesting, considering is literally 5/10 miles away from Slovenija and Croatia, and it's going to be a lot cheaper that Milan for example..
Even if it's packed with tourists you should never ever leave Italy, Europe, the northern emisphere in general without going to Rome! It's one of a kind, there are no words explaining really  :)
Then if you have a car explore Tuscany, autumn and spring are the best seasons imo, get impressed by nature landscapes architecture and food there, and in Italy in general haha that's our quality right there..
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

twitchflip

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »
Do you have a euro passport as well? Otherwise I'd also recommend checking out visa regulations.
I'm in the process of sorting out my British Passport. If that falls through, I can get a 5 year British Ancestory Visa after my 2 year Working Holiday Visa expires. Needless to say it will save so many hassles if I can get the dual passport.
Thinking of basing myself out of Edinburgh and working, I heard its great up there, locals are supposed to be friendly and welcoming.
One of my Swiss friends has a camper van, so we're gonna do a fair bit of travelling around in that, which'll be awesome!
Anyone been to Portugal?

DonSimon

• Rep: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
Anyone been to Portugal?

Been living there for a while and still go there from time to time. Definatly worth checking out! Oporto an Lisbon got some nice spots! But there are also some smaller cities you should go. Going out in Lisbon is great! They have like a whole quarter full of bar, restaurants and clubs. It's called Bairro Alto. Also the university cities are a lot of fun as long as students are in town. If you need any help with Portugal or you got more questions, hit me up.

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:34 AM »
OK my 10 Best Cities for Skating in Europe

Marseille / France     Pros: Mediterranean, Hills, unique not euorpean vibe, 
                              Cons: a little risky
Montpellier/  France  Pros: Girls, Mediterranean, good whine
                              Cons - NO
Bilbao / Spain          Pros: Food, Skateboard Culture! Surf
                              Cons - No
Berlin / Germany     Pros: just the place to be right now
                             Cons to much hipsters
Malm? / Sweden     Pros: Skateboarding Underground Paradies
                             Cons: Beer is fucking expensive
Copenhagen / Denmark  Pros: Kristiania
                                    Cons: they want to tear down Kristiania
Cologne / Germany        Pros: the whole livestyle is about drinking beer in the streets
                                    Cons: - No
Barcelona / Spain          Pros: The Kapital of the european Skatebording, you can skate 10 Video Spots each day.
                                   Cons: way too much skateboarder from all over the world.
Paris / France               Pro: if you dont fall in love in Paris - there is no love in you.
                                   Cons: She is a fucking expensive bitch.
Rom / Italie              Pro:  the Eternal City - skate 2000 Years of Historie
                               Cons: Dreamspots with cobblestone pavement.

All of the Citys are good for spending  a couple of weeks of time there, with great skatespots, parks and good locals.
if you visit them all and travel from city to city  by hitchhiking you will have a trip for 2-3 Years.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 06:34:42 AM »
If your plan is up in the clouds right now, then I'd probably suggest just getting the cheapest flight to somewhere, anywhere, in Europe and getting an inter-railing pass. Europe is covered heavily by a more than extensive rail network and travelling by train is just a great way to see the change in culture, landscape, climate, etc.

Everywhere has good and bad aspects, everywhere has, at least, some skate spots and everywhere has something to do. Honestly, all corners and sides of Europe are breath-taking in their own respect. And though I can't speak for everywhere as I certainly haven't been to every single country in Europe, I am almost certain you will have a great time no matter where you go... once you're the right kind of person.

As patronising as this all sounds, some people really aren't made for travelling. Some people require lavish hotels and meals laid out for them every day but obviously you're not like that judging by your initial post... and by and large, skateboarders certainly know how to go full-on gypsy-mode when needs be. You will discover your own personal hacks which will only work for you and you only.

It might seem ideal now; a life-time of partying, skating and whatever else, but the simple things can sometimes become very complex abroad - things like tax-issues, document requirements, accommodation issues can all be extremely troublesome so I would definitely suggest having some idea of where it is you want to move to and do some research about what's needed to move there. Add to that corruption and locals taking advantage of your lack of awareness of pricing, laws, etc. I've experienced it myself - scumbag ticket-collectors, asshole shop-vendors and just plain scammers - they're all out there. Do you speak any foreign languages? You might be able to get away with just speaking English in the major cities or in Scandinavia, but it may not work so well when you're lost in the middle of nowhere out in the suburbs because you've taken the wrong train or you've got mugged or whatever... I would certainly recommend at least learning the basics, as the locals really will appreciate it... especially the French!  ;D

I'm not trying to scare you, but travelling can be extremely daunting, frustrating and demoralising at times. Saying that, the expansion in perspective and the memories it rewards you with are priceless. Have fun.

Oh, and Stalin Square in Prague probably IS the best place to skate on earth.

EDIT - If you don't settle for an interRail pass, then I would suggest knowing where to go in advance and thus, buying your tickets way in advance - you will save a fortune! Honestly, you can get them at a third of the price.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:46:18 AM by Smurph »

twitchflip

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »
Been living there for a while and still go there from time to time. Definatly worth checking out! Oporto an Lisbon got some nice spots! But there are also some smaller cities you should go. Going out in Lisbon is great! They have like a whole quarter full of bar, restaurants and clubs. It's called Bairro Alto. Also the university cities are a lot of fun as long as students are in town. If you need any help with Portugal or you got more questions, hit me up.

That sounds rad! Can't wait to check it out!

OK my 10 Best Cities for Skating in Europe

Marseille / France     Pros: Mediterranean, Hills, unique not euorpean vibe, 
                              Cons: a little risky
Montpellier/  France  Pros: Girls, Mediterranean, good whine
                              Cons - NO
Bilbao / Spain          Pros: Food, Skateboard Culture! Surf
                              Cons - No
Berlin / Germany     Pros: just the place to be right now
                             Cons to much hipsters
Malm? / Sweden     Pros: Skateboarding Underground Paradies
                             Cons: Beer is fucking expensive
Copenhagen / Denmark  Pros: Kristiania
                                    Cons: they want to tear down Kristiania
Cologne / Germany        Pros: the whole livestyle is about drinking beer in the streets
                                    Cons: - No
Barcelona / Spain          Pros: The Kapital of the european Skatebording, you can skate 10 Video Spots each day.
                                   Cons: way too much skateboarder from all over the world.
Paris / France               Pro: if you dont fall in love in Paris - there is no love in you.
                                   Cons: She is a fucking expensive bitch.
Rom / Italie              Pro:  the Eternal City - skate 2000 Years of Historie
                               Cons: Dreamspots with cobblestone pavement.

All of the Citys are good for spending  a couple of weeks of time there, with great skatespots, parks and good locals.
if you visit them all and travel from city to city  by hitchhiking you will have a trip for 2-3 Years.

Awesome info, really appreciate you taking the time to write that out

If your plan is up in the clouds right now, then I'd probably suggest just getting the cheapest flight to somewhere, anywhere, in Europe and getting an inter-railing pass. Europe is covered heavily by a more than extensive rail network and travelling by train is just a great way to see the change in culture, landscape, climate, etc.

Everywhere has good and bad aspects, everywhere has, at least, some skate spots and everywhere has something to do. Honestly, all corners and sides of Europe are breath-taking in their own respect. And though I can't speak for everywhere as I certainly haven't been to every single country in Europe, I am almost certain you will have a great time no matter where you go... once you're the right kind of person.

As patronising as this all sounds, some people really aren't made for travelling. Some people require lavish hotels and meals laid out for them every day but obviously you're not like that judging by your initial post... and by and large, skateboarders certainly know how to go full-on gypsy-mode when needs be. You will discover your own personal hacks which will only work for you and you only.

It might seem ideal now; a life-time of partying, skating and whatever else, but the simple things can sometimes become very complex abroad - things like tax-issues, document requirements, accommodation issues can all be extremely troublesome so I would definitely suggest having some idea of where it is you want to move to and do some research about what's needed to move there. Add to that corruption and locals taking advantage of your lack of awareness of pricing, laws, etc. I've experienced it myself - scumbag ticket-collectors, asshole shop-vendors and just plain scammers - they're all out there. Do you speak any foreign languages? You might be able to get away with just speaking English in the major cities or in Scandinavia, but it may not work so well when you're lost in the middle of nowhere out in the suburbs because you've taken the wrong train or you've got mugged or whatever... I would certainly recommend at least learning the basics, as the locals really will appreciate it... especially the French!  ;D

I'm not trying to scare you, but travelling can be extremely daunting, frustrating and demoralising at times. Saying that, the expansion in perspective and the memories it rewards you with are priceless. Have fun.

EDIT - If you don't settle for an interRail pass, then I would suggest knowing where to go in advance and thus, buying your tickets way in advance - you will save a fortune! Honestly, you can get them at a third of the price.

dude, thank you so much for the info! luckily for me, I am a traveller. I absolutely love it and thrive on being outside my comfort zone. I was an exchange student in Brazil back in 2003 and ever since have caught the travel bug and just wanted to explore the world. Back then I was fluent in Portuguese but i've since forgotten substantial amounts. I don't think it would take me that long to pick it back up fully, and its provided me with the dynamics of how to learn a new language. I have a profound respect for other cultures and I think I mix well with many different types of people. This trip is gonna have its ups and downs, for sure, but it'll be worth it. I cant wait.

Ive decided to get my 5 year Ancestry Visa for the UK. Ive been doing some research on which areas would best suit me, baring in mind job availabilities in my field. I think Brighton looks great, as well as Edinburgh. I have friends in London so ill be staying with them for a while. In saying that, i'm going to fly into Munich and do oktorberfest first up. Catching up with some friends there so it should be great. From there, im gonna take your advice and use the interRail. I would much rather see the countryside in a train than fly.

Thanks once again for your posts guys  :-*

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
 In saying that, i'm going to fly into Munich and do oktorberfest first up. Catching up with some friends there so it should be great. From there, im gonna take your advice and use the interRail. I would much rather see the countryside in a train than fly.

Thanks once again for your posts guys  :-*

[/quote]

going to munic for oktoberfest is a waste of money.
in bavaria is any week of the year some big beerfest... the oktoberfest is just for tourists.
They have build some nice concrete bowl park in Munic. Check out Gefilde - an new 70 Style Park and Hirschgarten
some Bowlpark side by side to the Hirschgarten Beergarden - you got the beer half of the price then at the Oktoberfest,
and maybe you meet some bavarien people and not only pissdrunk Italian and Aussies.
if you go to bavaria - you need to go to Austria / tyrol too - it just one hour by car... ther are two little villages in the middle of the alps
W?rgl and Brixlegg with killer concrete Parks - Brixlegg is the first european park build by an american company, and then the locals have done a lot of DIY stuff in this area - its all on the way to Innsbruck - an really nice little city also surroundet by he alps, with
good indoor and outdoor Skatepark and some nice street spots...
just check this place http://www.laac.eu/de/projects/landhausplatz-eduard-walln-fer-platz
its an public plaza in the near of of main train station - is just one of the sickest places to skate. 

twitchflip

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 05:38:29 AM »
in bavaria is any week of the year some big beerfest... the oktoberfest is just for tourists.
They have build some nice concrete bowl park in Munic. Check out Gefilde - an new 70 Style Park and Hirschgarten
some Bowlpark side by side to the Hirschgarten Beergarden - you got the beer half of the price then at the Oktoberfest,
and maybe you meet some bavarien people and not only pissdrunk Italian and Aussies.
if you go to bavaria - you need to go to Austria / tyrol too - it just one hour by car... ther are two little villages in the middle of the alps
W?rgl and Brixlegg with killer concrete Parks - Brixlegg is the first european park build by an american company, and then the locals have done a lot of DIY stuff in this area - its all on the way to Innsbruck - an really nice little city also surroundet by he alps, with
just check this place http://www.laac.eu/de/projects/landhausplatz-eduard-walln-fer-platz
its an public plaza in the near of of main train station - is just one of the sickest places to skate. 

That place looks fucking amazing! Definitely gonna go there!
Bavaria sounds so good. My best mates girlfriend is Austrian and lives in Vienna and also said there are much sicker places to party and drink beer than oktoberfest in Munich. I appreciate you letting me know though. Ill be hitting up Brixlegg for sure, Austria is one of the places I want to go to the most. Cheers for the info!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That place looks fucking amazing! Definitely gonna go there!
Bavaria sounds so good. My best mates girlfriend is Austrian and lives in Vienna and also said there are much sicker places to party and drink beer than oktoberfest in Munich. I appreciate you letting me know though. Ill be hitting up Brixlegg for sure, Austria is one of the places I want to go to the most. Cheers for the info!

if you need a place to crash in the southeastern part of austria, hit me up.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »

this!

prague is super sick! really cheap, amazing people, great skating, beautiful women, good parties. i plan to live there for at least a year in the future because i love it. probably my favorite city in europe.

twitchflip

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »
if you need a place to crash in the southeastern part of austria, hit me up.

man, that sounds awesome.. thanks so much for your generosity! ill PM you soon and we can organise something

prague is super sick! really cheap, amazing people, great skating, beautiful women, good parties. i plan to live there for at least a year in the future because i love it. probably my favorite city in europe.

hell yeah, absolutely cannot wait

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Smurph made some good points, but i dont think you should buy tickets in advance.

you can end up trying to kill time in places you dont wanna be and missing out on stuff in places you do want to be

SpudFaceKillah

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Check out Ireland really god scene

twitchflip

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:50 AM »
Just a quick update. We have bought tickets and are flying from Melbourne to Berlin arriving on the 9th of October. So psyched! Cant wait to hit up some German spots and have some steins first up!
Probably end up travelling south for a month or so around that area before heading to the UK for the winter. Thinking about working up in Edinburgh, already bracing myself for the Scottish winter  :D
Thanks once again for all the info guys, will try and get to as much of it as possible.

EVIL

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »
If you need Information about Germany...let me know!

watson65

• Rep: 0
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
If you want to spend your best time in dream places than Europe is the best places for you. I wish to spend my honeymoon in Europe. I like to go in various countries of Europe. Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, Holland and Finland.

holiday rentals gold coast
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:27:53 AM by watson65 »

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Just a quick update. We have bought tickets and are flying from Melbourne to Berlin arriving on the 9th of October. So psyched! Cant wait to hit up some German spots and have some steins first up!
Probably end up travelling south for a month or so around that area before heading to the UK for the winter. Thinking about working up in Edinburgh, already bracing myself for the Scottish winter  :D
Thanks once again for all the info guys, will try and get to as much of it as possible.

While you're in the UK:
- Glasgow has loads of rad street spots, although it's got a reputation as one of the sketchier cities.
- Edinburgh has a killer concrete park that opened last year, www.focuspocus.com is the main local skate shop.
- Try get to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds & Newcastle in northern England.  Manchester in particular has a huge music/cultural history which you can't not appreciate.  The local skate shops worth checking out are Lost Art (Liverpool), Note and Black Sheep (both in Manchester), Simple (Sheffield) and Native in Newcastle.
- If the hype is to be believed, Liverpool has the strongest local economy in the UK outside of London, which may, or may not, mean it's easier for you to get casual work, if that's what floats your boat.
- In the event that you move to London, do your best to stay out of the Aussie ex-pat bubble. 
- Get to west Wales and NW Scotland if you can.  Best off buying a cheap car (if possible) as long distance public transport here is expensive, though if you go by train, booking a couple of months in advance and buying split tickets works out way cheaper - www.splityourticket.co.uk
- www.sidewalkmag.com is the main national skate mag, published by the same folks who put out Kingpin.
- Cardiff is dope for skating, Bristol is definitely one of the UK's well kept secrets and Cornwall is always worth a visit.
- Try make your way over to Ireland.  It's expensive but worth the jaunt if you're in this neck of the woods.  The economy is largely fucked so I'd say work opportunities are slim to none.  If you surf, the western Irish coast has all you need.  Dublin is fun to skate around, if you get good weather that is.
- All the concrete parks in Ireland were built after 2006, most are pretty good.
- Catch a Gaelic football (similar to Aussie Rules) or hurling match at Croke Park.
- Catch an Ireland v England 6 Nations rugby match in Dublin.
- Catch a Wales v England 6 Nations rugby match in Cardiff.
- Catch a Scotland v England 6 Nations rugby match in Edinburgh.

Around Europe -
- Brush up on all your languages and do your best to use them - granted, this is a lot easier if you're on your own or working in Spain/Germany/etc. Nobody likes those English-only fuckwits who think shouting louder in English is a viable way to communicate; needless to say, sweet-talking your way into some foxy foreign girl's knickers while speaking a foreign language is always something to boast about, ha.
- Read up a little on WW2, the Iron Curtain/Warsaw Pact/Berlin Wall and the Balkan conflicts.  Mainland Europe is a similar size to Australia with 400 million or so people and more than enough pointless bloody conflicts which still affects international relations and politics.  More of a personal thing for me I guess but I like to know about the history of a place to help me get to know it a bit more, mainly as I'm a massive nerd.
- In general, the former Communist countries tend to be a lot cheaper.  You can live like a king on ?5 per day in Bulgaria but that won't get a warm lunch in Helsinki.
- As said before, Stalin Square.
- As Smurph said, definitely get an Interrail pass at some point.  One month of non-stop craziness.
- Visit Barcelona, but try to avoid the party bubble.  I've been there shitloads, as a lot of others here have too, but seeing that many skaters around all the time reminds me of how superficial skating can be.  To be honest, you can avoid it and not miss much.
- Go north in summer to experience nightless nights.  You'll get this in Scotland to a certain extent, Edinburgh is 56N, like Copenhagen, but it never fails to spin me out seeing the sun set at 12 midnight in Finland in June.  Scandinavia is awesome in summer, particularly Helsinki & Malmo. 
- Croatia & Serbia are major destinations for music festivals in summer, epic coastlines & beaches too I think.  Split is supposed to be dope for skating.
- Buy a left hand drive van and live in it for the summer, driving around the continent.
- Poland seems to be a new hotspot from what I can gather.  Krakow in particular is supposed to have a lot of things going for it, like good skate spots, cheap cost of living and lots of festivals/events/random things going on.

Enjoy the trip, it will be savage.

sethooon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »

Where is a good ledge spot in Berlin where i can meet other skaters?
thanks!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where is a good ledge spot in Berlin where i can meet other skaters?
thanks!

warschauer strasse

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

While you're in the UK:
- Glasgow has loads of rad street spots, although it's got a reputation as one of the sketchier cities.
- Edinburgh has a killer concrete park that opened last year, www.focuspocus.com is the main local skate shop.
- Try get to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds & Newcastle in northern England.  Manchester in particular has a huge music/cultural history which you can't not appreciate.  The local skate shops worth checking out are Lost Art (Liverpool), Note and Black Sheep (both in Manchester), Simple (Sheffield) and Native in Newcastle.
- If the hype is to be believed, Liverpool has the strongest local economy in the UK outside of London, which may, or may not, mean it's easier for you to get casual work, if that's what floats your boat.
- In the event that you move to London, do your best to stay out of the Aussie ex-pat bubble. 
- Get to west Wales and NW Scotland if you can.  Best off buying a cheap car (if possible) as long distance public transport here is expensive, though if you go by train, booking a couple of months in advance and buying split tickets works out way cheaper - www.splityourticket.co.uk
- www.sidewalkmag.com is the main national skate mag, published by the same folks who put out Kingpin.
- Cardiff is dope for skating, Bristol is definitely one of the UK's well kept secrets and Cornwall is always worth a visit.
- Try make your way over to Ireland.  It's expensive but worth the jaunt if you're in this neck of the woods.  The economy is largely fucked so I'd say work opportunities are slim to none.  If you surf, the western Irish coast has all you need.  Dublin is fun to skate around, if you get good weather that is.
- All the concrete parks in Ireland were built after 2006, most are pretty good.
- Catch a Gaelic football (similar to Aussie Rules) or hurling match at Croke Park.
- Catch an Ireland v England 6 Nations rugby match in Dublin.
- Catch a Wales v England 6 Nations rugby match in Cardiff.
- Catch a Scotland v England 6 Nations rugby match in Edinburgh.

Around Europe -
- Brush up on all your languages and do your best to use them - granted, this is a lot easier if you're on your own or working in Spain/Germany/etc. Nobody likes those English-only fuckwits who think shouting louder in English is a viable way to communicate; needless to say, sweet-talking your way into some foxy foreign girl's knickers while speaking a foreign language is always something to boast about, ha.
- Read up a little on WW2, the Iron Curtain/Warsaw Pact/Berlin Wall and the Balkan conflicts.  Mainland Europe is a similar size to Australia with 400 million or so people and more than enough pointless bloody conflicts which still affects international relations and politics.  More of a personal thing for me I guess but I like to know about the history of a place to help me get to know it a bit more, mainly as I'm a massive nerd.
- In general, the former Communist countries tend to be a lot cheaper.  You can live like a king on ?5 per day in Bulgaria but that won't get a warm lunch in Helsinki.
- As said before, Stalin Square.
- As Smurph said, definitely get an Interrail pass at some point.  One month of non-stop craziness.
- Visit Barcelona, but try to avoid the party bubble.  I've been there shitloads, as a lot of others here have too, but seeing that many skaters around all the time reminds me of how superficial skating can be.  To be honest, you can avoid it and not miss much.
- Go north in summer to experience nightless nights.  You'll get this in Scotland to a certain extent, Edinburgh is 56N, like Copenhagen, but it never fails to spin me out seeing the sun set at 12 midnight in Finland in June.  Scandinavia is awesome in summer, particularly Helsinki & Malmo. 
- Croatia & Serbia are major destinations for music festivals in summer, epic coastlines & beaches too I think.  Split is supposed to be dope for skating.
- Buy a left hand drive van and live in it for the summer, driving around the continent.
- Poland seems to be a new hotspot from what I can gather.  Krakow in particular is supposed to have a lot of things going for it, like good skate spots, cheap cost of living and lots of festivals/events/random things going on.

Enjoy the trip, it will be savage.

I'm too lazy to go into it at the moment but as far as brushing up goes take this guys advice - you'll enjoy things a lot more if you know the history. If you're familiar with the prior grips of Communism, the Iron Curtain, the Berlin Wall, Warsaw Pact, Polish and Hungarian Uprising, Genocide, etc... It'll not only make things more interesting but more heartfelt. People will appreciate it so much if you're familiar with their history, culture, and can even say one word of their language rather than being a belligerent tourist.

Go to Eastern Europe - I realize this is a vague term nowadays but go east of Poland. Capital cities like Prague and Budapest have gotten far beyond what would be considered Eastern European conditions and Poland too but in their case it's a lot more recent. The reason Poland is the new hot spot is it's the most "Eastern" country geographically and I guess you could say politically to have been fully inducted into the Schengen Zone and European Union. This makes it still cheap to visit and Krakow is insanely modern yet historically rich in architecture and culture. You can feel the boom of tourism there - especially in the main square- which is both good and bad to me. The women in Poland, Ukraine, and the Baltic states are some of the most beautiful, yet genuine women in my opinion. The people in general are genuine I should say.

Definitely venture East is what I'm saying. You won't regret it. What I say now is that if I'm in Western Europe I'm on my way to Eastern Europe. I lived in Poland for a bit and then Serbia - Krakow and Belgrade - but spent over a year between there and Turkey so if you have any questions just let me know.