Author Topic: Trippy Music Videos  (Read 5565 times)

swagdragon123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
Trippy Music Videos
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »
just wondering if anyone has heard of them and/or likes them. They are pretty much all I listen to:
Silversun Pickups - Substitution
also have a good taste in music videos. if your reply consists of "I don't like the singers voice" don't bother. and also does anyone think they would work in a skate part?
Silversun Pickups - Sort Of
I don't think they really deserve their own thread but I feel like this part of slap doesn't get used that much so I don't care
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:40:24 PM by swagdragon123 »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: Silversun Pickups
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
They're alright. I know a bit of history about the band but it's nothing you couldn't find on Wikipedia these days. I'm going to say this anyway even though you said don't bother - I'm not a huge fan of the guys voice. It's kind of a combination of nasally and raspy to me which in my opinion works well for some songs but not others. As far as working for a skate part, it depends on the flow of the skater and vibe of the video. I'd also like to consider myself a bit of a music video buff so I'll post a few:
Youth Lagoon - July
How To Dress Well - Walking This Dumb (Plus D. Lynch)
Handsome Furs - Evangeline [Face Control 2009]
Glass Candy - 'Feeling Without Touching'
Chromatics - Hands In The Dark

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
They're alright. I know a bit of history about the band but it's nothing you couldn't find on Wikipedia these days. I'm going to say this anyway even though you said don't bother - I'm not a huge fan of the guys voice. It's kind of a combination of nasally and raspy to me which in my opinion works well for some songs but not others. As far as working for a skate part, it depends on the flow of the skater and vibe of the video. I'd also like to consider myself a bit of a music video buff so I'll post a few:
Youth Lagoon - July

please give me an explanation to the video. I really liked the song though very modern. on to the next one.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »

^^wow, I like this song a lot, so much.....energy. again no idea whats going on in the video.^^  Ill return the favor:
The Shoes - Time to Dance (Official Video)

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Youth Lagoon - July

i'm not really a fan of his voice either.  they're ok.  i've seen them before around town.  have been kind of surprised at how well they're doing, but good for them

i live within walking distance from the shopping center where their name comes from
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

i'm not really a fan of his voice either.  they're ok.  i've seen them before around town.  have been kind of surprised at how well they're doing, but good for them

i live within walking distance from the shopping center where their name comes from
For the same reasons people hate his voice, makes the fans love his voice I guess. Its just different or whatever. I like the smooth but but fucking loud distorted guitar, and the infectious rhythms that burst through all that noise:
Melatonin-Silversun Pickups
oh and the lyrics give my goose bumps

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]
not feeling the last three

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
That Shoe's video...I guess I'm into it but the song/video are a little too all over the place for me but it seems like the sort that could wear on me.

Yeah, the last two of those videos are both on the label "Italians do it better" which is a fucking phenomenal label if you're into the ambient, retro-disco thing. Johnny Jewel is one of the guys behind and he's been around forever but tries to stay low key - He just did a lot of the composing for that movie Drive. Handsome furs are really good but unfortunately they're done - Dan and Alexei broke up so now Dan lives here in L.A. and just finished recording the album for Divine Fits with Britt Daniels from Spoon. Also, one of my favorite guys who directs music videos is Tyler T. Williams who did the Youth Lagoon one. As far as the video goes, I love how it evokes such strong emotions but at the end the question you ask is what people are left with and I love that - take it for what you will. I know what the song's actually about which is realization - he's comparing and contrasting the 4th of July 5 years prior and current. Here's some more videos:
Divine Fits
CHROMATICS "BACK FROM THE GRAVE"
http://vimeo.com/21567738#
The Fresh and Onlys, "Waterfall" on Vimeo

Oh and floop - we apparently live around the corner from each other. We should go shred sometime.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
That Shoe's video...I guess I'm into it but the song/video are a little too all over the place for me but it seems like the sort that could wear on me.

Yeah, the last two of those videos are both on the label "Italians do it better" which is a fucking phenomenal label if you're into the ambient, retro-disco thing. Johnny Jewel is one of the guys behind and he's been around forever but tries to stay low key - He just did a lot of the composing for that movie Drive. Handsome furs are really good but unfortunately they're done - Dan and Alexei broke up so now Dan lives here in L.A. and just finished recording the album for Divine Fits with Britt Daniels from Spoon. Also, one of my favorite guys who directs music videos is Tyler T. Williams who did the Youth Lagoon one. As far as the video goes, I love how it evokes such strong emotions but at the end the question you ask is what people are left with and I love that - take it for what you will. I know what the song's actually about which is realization - he's comparing and contrasting the 4th of July 5 years prior and current. Here's some more videos:

about to go skate so I can't watch those vids now but do the Handsome Furs have anything to do with the Psychedelic Furs? I don't know much about them but my friend really likes the PFs

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

[close]
For the same reasons people hate his voice, makes the fans love his voice I guess. Its just different or whatever. I like the smooth but but fucking loud distorted guitar, and the infectious rhythms that burst through all that noise:

do most Silversun Pickups fans not know who Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Jesus & Mary Chain, Flaming Lips,  Cocteau Twins, etc. are? not trying to insult your taste or anything, but i'd rather listen to the bands that inspired the Pickups.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
about to go skate so I can't watch those vids now but do the Handsome Furs have anything to do with the Psychedelic Furs? I don't know much about them but my friend really likes the PFs
And I love this video/ song :
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TGmM2l39LEs

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
I'm honestly not even a really huge fan of the bands you listed that inspired the Silversun Pickups.... Although, I mean, I do have all their albums on my ipod. Charlie XCX is playing here in LA in a month but she's playing at the Troubador which I'm not a huge fan of.

And no, Handsome Furs have absolutely no relation to the Psychedelic Furs. Dan's collaborated with a couple of artists - for instance, he played a few tracks for Islands - but the only direct correlations the band has would be that Dan was in Atlas Strategic, Wolf Parade was initially just him and Spencer Krug, Handsome Furs, then Divine Fits.

Side note, you know those people who say they aren't that into music? I don't get it. To take it a step further, I went on a blind date with this girl and started talking about music, what I played, and the process of writing a song then she just kind of laughed after saying she didn't get it. I don't think I've ever been so turned off by such a hot girl so fast.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

[close]
[close]

do most Silversun Pickups fans not know who Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Jesus & Mary Chain, Flaming Lips,  Cocteau Twins, etc. are? not trying to insult your taste or anything, but i'd rather listen to the bands that inspired the Pickups.
I really like the bands I put in bold^^(don't know the others) and its funny you say that because the only inspiration I've heard about SSPU is the Smashing Pumpkins. And if you mean that they are in the same genre or whatever I don't consider that inspiration, plus the have changed their sound over the years. For example their very first EP "Pikul" is slow and soft but obviously know they are loud and sound like SP and their newest album "Neck of the Woods" took another turn. Im not a huge fan of the newest album.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
I'm honestly not even a really huge fan of the bands you listed that inspired the Silversun Pickups.... Although, I mean, I do have all their albums on my ipod. Charlie XCX is playing here in LA in a month but she's playing at the Troubador which I'm not a huge fan of.

And no, Handsome Furs have absolutely no relation to the Psychedelic Furs. Dan's collaborated with a couple of artists - for instance, he played a few tracks for Islands - but the only direct correlations the band has would be that Dan was in Atlas Strategic, Wolf Parade was initially just him and Spencer Krug, Handsome Furs, then Divine Fits.

Side note, you know those people who say they aren't that into music? I don't get it. To take it a step further, I went on a blind date with this girl and started talking about music, what I played, and the process of writing a song then she just kind of laughed after saying she didn't get it. I don't think I've ever been so turned off by such a hot girl so fast.
I really like Wolf Parade^  and about music, its like skateboarding everyone knows about it and likes to stand on them(longboards) but we just got really obsessed with them because we had more time to waste. To some people music is just an accessory, UGG boots, Nike Swag shirts and Drake

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »
I feel like if this thread wasn't named Silversun Pickups and actually applicable to what the thread turned into it would attract more attention and possibly lead to some killer, unheard of music videos....

I'm a fan of your skateboarding/music analogy. As I've gotten older my free time has shifted more so being put towards music then skating.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
I feel like if this thread wasn't named Silversun Pickups and actually applicable to what the thread turned into it would attract more attention and possibly lead to some killer, unheard of music videos....

I'm a fan of your skateboarding/music analogy. As I've gotten older my free time has shifted more so being put towards music then skating.

yea but I want to give Silversun Pickups as much screen time as I can, jk what should I change the tittle to? I was thinking "Alternative Music Video Dump" or something idk shoot

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
It kind of turned into "trippy music videos", "thought provoking music videos", "unique/creative music videos"...etc? yeah? 

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
It kind of turned into "trippy music videos", "thought provoking music videos", "unique/creative music videos"...etc? yeah? 
Trippy Music Videos will attract the most people

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: Trippy Music Videos
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
keep in mind folks this is actual stock footage from the 50's
Boards of Canada - Everything You Do is a Balloon
90's
boards of canada - roygbiv
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:39:16 PM by swagdragon123 »

ericw

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »
you haven't seen trippy until you've seen this. Avi Buffalo - What's In It For? (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

DevMo!

• Rep: 2

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »
you haven't seen trippy until you've seen this. Avi Buffalo - What's In It For? (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
this is like the deffinition of trippy so for me its not really that trippy. but the creepiest thing growing in the video was that chicks arm pit hair

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Menudo

• Rep: 4
  • True niggas ain't gay
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
Back in my day they were called buzz worthy videos.......

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

i'm not really a fan of his voice either.  they're ok.  i've seen them before around town.  have been kind of surprised at how well they're doing, but good for them

[close]
[close]

do most Silversun Pickups fans not know who Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Jesus & Mary Chain, Flaming Lips,  Cocteau Twins, etc. are? not trying to insult your taste or anything, but i'd rather listen to the bands that inspired the Pickups.
[close]
I really like the bands I put in bold^^(don't know the others) and its funny you say that because the only inspiration I've heard about SSPU is the Smashing Pumpkins. And if you mean that they are in the same genre or whatever I don't consider that inspiration, plus the have changed their sound over the years. For example their very first EP "Pikul" is slow and soft but obviously know they are loud and sound like SP and their newest album "Neck of the Woods" took another turn. Im not a huge fan of the newest album.

dude, you have to listen to these 3 bands at least

My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes

Spacemen 3 - Hypnotized (Full Version)

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Just Like Honey (Video)

all three of these bands were around in the 80s. they pretty much created that whole shoegaze, spacey psychedelic, dream pop sound.

these three albums are essential, man. essential!

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

http://www.mediafire.com/?ditgoy5mnem

2012 re-master

http://rapidgator.net/file/20693919

The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyb3wwgtedz

Spacemen 3 - Recurring

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnjtyqq02je

(i'll contribute some weird, trippy videos on the next page since this one's about to reach it's youtube vid limit)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:34:01 PM by smokecrack »

Mr. Fink

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

dask8d00d

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

i'm not really a fan of his voice either.  they're ok.  i've seen them before around town.  have been kind of surprised at how well they're doing, but good for them

[close]
[close]

do most Silversun Pickups fans not know who Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Spacemen 3, Yo La Tengo, Jesus & Mary Chain, Flaming Lips,  Cocteau Twins, etc. are? not trying to insult your taste or anything, but i'd rather listen to the bands that inspired the Pickups.
[close]
[close]

all three of these bands were around in the 80s. they pretty much created that whole shoegaze, spacey psychedelic, dream pop sound.
Expand Quote
hmmmm I respect the roots but I don't like living in the past. The SSPU have a more modern sound I guess. I hate arguing about tastes in music but it was really hard not to laugh during the last video. I think the Silversun Pickups deffinatly learned form their^^ sounds but in my opinion they made it a million times better.
[close]

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Youth Lagoon - July
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
hmmmm I respect the roots but I don't like living in the past. The SSPU have a more modern sound I guess. I hate arguing about tastes in music but it was really hard not to laugh during the last video. I think the Silversun Pickups deffinatly learned form their^^ sounds but in my opinion they made it a million times better.
[close]

i don't really like listening to too much older music right now either, but that last sentence is pretty ignorant. i'm sure you only listened to the songs and called it a day. if it's not for you, that's fine, but Loveless is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. take the time to actually give it a shot. Kevin Shields of MBV is a brilliant musician and their whole sound influenced so many bands.

you don't even have to download it to listen. just click on this.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991) [Full Album] 720p

(seriously though, do yourself a favor and give the album a fair shot. it's a beautiful piece of music.)
[close]