Author Topic: Ericly Later'd  (Read 79750 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Ericly Later'd
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
http://www.vice.com/epicly-later-d/eric-koston-part-1?utm_source=vicefbus

This could shape up to be the best series yet. All of that old footage was rad.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
Re: Ericly Later'd
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
That was sick. This is going to be good. I think its weird that O'dell said Koston is up there with Reynolds. A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but as sick as Reynolds is, Koston is on another level.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
this was the shortest 10 minute clip ever.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
That was sick. This is going to be good. I think its weird that O'dell said Koston is up there with Reynolds. A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but as sick as Reynolds is, Koston is on another level.
Koston is the first guy that comes to any skater's mind when someone says "legend" or "street skater.
For Your Health

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
I guess O'dell has his biases. But to not put Koston at the top of the list is pretty strange.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »
I was thinking the same.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was thinking the same.
Yeah, if anything Reynolds doesn't really belong in a list with Hawk, Gonzales, Mullen. He's a good skater but not much of an innovator.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
I think Pat was just trying to relate to his audience. Some times you gotta dumb it down a little. It's like if he was trying to explain Koston to basketball fans, he'd compare him to Michael Jordan or whatever.

Nice thread Title. Needs more "Koston" in it though...
ableSkateMag.com

BraveUlysses

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
Hopefully this gets on Youtube soon. My iPod doesn't cooperate well with the Vice site.

veebs

• Rep: -3
  • Hard 2 sit when you got someone's hand up your ass
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »

i agree, koston is on another level. not taking anything away from reynolds, but hes no koston.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
Nice thread

ATMurrell stealing my thunder!  I posted this last night, but in the Photos/Videos thread. But it just dawned on me that most of these get posted here.

DaveThe$lave

• Rep: -6
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Reynolds and Koston are two different personalities, but I would think that more skaters could relate to an Andrew Reynolds type. I don't know if Reynolds went to skate camp, but that shit is lame in my eyes. Most people don't grow up with a quarter pipe in their driveway (at least no one had one where I grew up) and it doesn't seem like Reynolds did either. Most people do ride the jock of some sports franchise, so maybe that's why more longevity based skaters "root" for Eric Koston. I think the dude seems like a jock and a jerk. Hell, I would be lying if I said that I didn't dig Koston when I was growing up, but I've seen what he was, has become and seems to be and I don't like it. The basketball shoes and the complete dick suck for some basketball team solidify my point. Fuck, I might be going overboard here, but I think Reynolds personifies skateboarding to a much higher degree. My argument may be full of holes, but I just knocked back a couple of cold ones after work and I need to skate! Much love for all skaters, but discussion promotes progression.

Jackburton

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
I used to think the same thing.  Even though I had seen the end and had some of his ridiculous Birdhouse ads on my wall as a youngster, it always seemed like Koston was not only more technical, but he also skated some pretty big stuff.  Then I saw some of Reynolds old contest footage and I was like, oh wait he is on his own level, as is Koston.  Then you factor in the fact that Koston is now getting a bit old, and while extremely good, has lost some of his momentum.  Reynolds on the other hand is really as strong as ever.  They both the same amount of talent and drive.  Each of their trick selections is equally respectable by the skateboard community as a whole.  One could argue that Koston has more coordination or control, but I still back and forth on what that means, exactly.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
O'dell mainly brought up reynolds cuz he sees him as the best street skater ever.  If anything its to keep his word.

Halfdeadanimal

• Rep: -3
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Koston, Reynolds, Rowley! If they were somehow the only three "Street Skaters" left I wouldn't complain.

BuddyPal

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
im more of a reynolds kind of guy, but i can enjoy some koston on a hot summer day

RaptorKillah

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I don't know. Koston is an amazing skater. One of the best ever but the dude's personality doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't want to hang out with the guy and I think his whole story is a little bit boring but I will watch the episodes just to see him doing more skating and hoping that this show changes my mind. Like they said though, I don't know much about Koston besides he is half Thai and a sick skater.

In regards to Reynolds vs Koston, they would be on the same list for sure as most influential skaters of all time BUT I would prefer to watch any Reynolds part over any Koston part any day. He is just that much more stylish in all regards of life.

Patrick O'Dell should be given a medal of merit from the skate community in recognition of how fucking sick Epicly Later'd is. I salute you, you mono browed, slow talking hipster.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Who's the guy second from the right at 7:00?  It looks exactly like me.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
good first episode, the series will me amazing

nice to see t.ferg

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »
Most people don't grow up with a quarter pipe in their driveway (at least no one had one where I grew up) and it doesn't seem like Reynolds did either.  

That was Eddie E's driveway but those were just the times. Not some silver spoon bullshit. Everyone I skated with would just go raid construction sites and build shit, it was a carry over from the jump ramp era.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
Damn, better at 14 than I'll ever be. I guess that's true of pretty much every pro, but his young dude footage was particularly impressive.
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

Reggie Dunlop

• Rep: -4
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
Reynolds is definitely in the same league as Koston. He's only a couple years younger than Koston, I think. Koston was more innovative with tech but could go big. Reynolds is the opposite, goes big but can get tech. Strange but I think Reynolds might have a bit more top of the game longevity. He's lost a step but Koston is one of the best that has ever done it.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
i dont want to get caught up in this stupid debate, but how has he lost a step? his fully flared part was amazing, totally on par with menikmati or yeah right. he is a major video part guy, not someone who releases a lot of throwaway internet footage. wait till really sweet comes out before you write him off.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
i dont want to get caught up in this stupid debate, but how has he lost a step? his fully flared part was amazing, totally on par with menikmati or yeah right. he is a major video part guy, not someone who releases a lot of throwaway internet footage. wait till pretty sweet comes out before you write him off.

Totally back you up with that. No matter how much of a kook he's been acting or portraying to be, stand alone hating on Frosty is just not right. His skating for decades have spoken for itself. I really can't wait for the Girl video. Sucks to know that his time is nearing end already.

neon blitz

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
I don't know. Koston is an amazing skater. One of the best ever but the dude's personality doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't want to hang out with the guy and I think his whole story is a little bit boring but I will watch the episodes just to see him doing more skating and hoping that this show changes my mind. Like they said though, I don't know much about Koston besides he is half Thai and a sick skater.

In regards to Reynolds vs Koston, they would be on the same list for sure as most influential skaters of all time BUT I would prefer to watch any Reynolds part over any Koston part any day. He is just that much more stylish in all regards of life.
Patrick O'Dell should be given a medal of merit from the skate community in recognition of how fucking sick Epicly Later'd is. I salute you, you mono browed, slow talking hipster.

you mean everything but actually riding a skateboard..in no frame of mind/perogative could anyone think reynolds has better style than koston, just saying

thugnificent

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
i dont want to get caught up in this stupid debate, but how has he lost a step? his fully flared part was amazing, totally on par with menikmati or yeah right. he is a major video part guy, not someone who releases a lot of throwaway internet footage. wait till really sweet comes out before you write him off.

i dont think his fully flared part was anywhere as near as good as his other parts, all the best clips in that part were the really old ones too. im sure his part in pretty sweet will be great though

Reggie Dunlop

• Rep: -4
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
There is no hate here. Just preference. Also, we all get old. No biggie. I don't think that Fully Flared is on par Menikmati. That eS vid was the peak. Though his next five parts will still kill and be better than most. And I don't think that his Pretty Sweet part will be better than Reynolds Stay Gold. That's just what I think. You'll think differently, hopefully.  ;D

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
There is no hate here. Just preference. Also, we all get old. No biggie. I don't think that Fully Flared is on par Menikmati. That eS vid was the peak. [b
]Though his next five parts will still kill and be better than most. [/b]And I don't think that his Pretty Sweet part will be better than Reynolds Stay Gold. That's just what I think. You'll think differently, hopefully.  ;D
I sure hope there are at least 5 more.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Someone says 2 names in the wrong order and the skate-dorks commence to argue as if the dude really meant something by it. Blah.

Koston's part in Next Generation is when I really stood up and took notice. Never jocked Koston but nobody, even those with drastically styles and lifestyles have always recognized that he's been one of the best skaters in the world for longer than some of you guys have been alive. Most of us would be thrilled to do a switch boardslide backside bigspin nowadays, that 20+ year old clip alone sufficiently sums up Koston's impact on skating and how ahead of the times he's always been.

El Gato... Man, that's a name that used to be everywhere and just disappeared. Ironic that Koston was at the forefront of the progression that made skaters like Eddie Elguera obsolete as professionals.

Eager to see the next episode.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:29:02 PM by Schismatic »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
Eddie was the Koston of his era......What? At least my comparison is accurate....