Author Topic: Ericly Later'd  (Read 79785 times)

carbonite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ericly Later'd
« Reply #480 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »
if someone did a roundtable interview with Berra, Koston, and J Lee about scientology it would be pulitzer-level skournalism

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #481 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
Expand Quote
This just like the B.A. episodes, ended as if he just rushed through anything that was of recent memory.  Plus O'Dell kinda admitted that he wasnt a real koston fan anyways.

I usually like O'Dell's work but he really dropped the ball by not addressing:
1. His affiliation with Scientology
2. His affiliation with the No Limit Soldiers
3. Why is he even friends with Steve Berra
4. What was really the issue with the Alex Olson instabeef, was it the straw that broke the camel's back or is the berrics really that goddamn hard to run that you air a nigga out like that for talking slick.

[close]
I highly doubt Koston would willingly discuss scientology stuff. He would either just straight up refuse to talk about it or be vague as fuck when discussing it.

That ^

AND

Does anybody know what the 'sketchy shit' Eric's business manager uncovered was? Does it have something to do with Lakai leaving
Podium and becoming one with Crailtap?

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #482 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
The more I think about it, the more wack it seems. He had 3 of the best pro shoes of all time and they don't even mention it, other than "my shoes were influenced by Jordans." ??? The whole series was a big "tell us something we don't know."

hellmanovo

« Reply #483 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There was plenty of interesting shit that totally got glossed over. Like mike carroll not liking koston having his own agent instead of representing himself, the whole contest era, truely tackling being sponsored by shitty mainstream companies, the space between yeah right and fully flared. This shouldve been like 10 episodes minimum. Too much is glossed over after mouse. Next to nothing about menikmati? Fucking seriously? That part basically introduced koston to the early 2000s generation of skaters. This was not a very in depth series and its not like he puts these out consistently so theres no reason to hold back. This was 6 episodes of revisionist history and advertising and that really pisses me off.
[close]
Yeah, I feel the same.  So few get access to high caliber skaters like O'dell.  He didn't use his opportunity to get a really in depth interview. I was acually less psyched on Koston after seeing it, and I really LOVE me some koston. I wonder if he's just lazy, or he caters to the sponsors and just leaves all the 'fluf' in to guarantee he gets his check.  Plus all that stuff tim was saying about being old was really bumming me out.  

I'm super psyched on a all dork trick part for the new video though.   Bring back the Chomp era Koston!
[close]

I think these are really legitimate complaints, but to those saying he should have explored the 'dark areas' like Scientology, Berra, leaving Lakai etc., why would anyone interviewed answer those questions? If O'Dell got some answers on those topics, why would anyone agree to be interviewed for Later'd ever again? Remember, skateboarding professionals solely exist for marketing purposes, and we'll never get a Big Brother ever again. I'm bummed too, but I don't see what could be done about it.
[close]

A Berra friendship, a dark area??? lol

I think if done tastefully you can get any info you want out of a skater.  O'Dell got Dylan to talk about overcoming a drug addiction that only people within the skate industry was even aware of.

Not saying that you have to talk about shitty things to make a good episode, but the original charm of the series was how candid the skaters get.

Somehow or other I don't think it would've been too hard to get Dylan to talk about overcoming a drug addiction. He was probably was psyched to further reinforce his tortured artist/rockstar/ faggot thing he's got going on. Koston's epicly later'd was quite a let down.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #484 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
Funny how badly we want to hear about some religions.....and others you just can't stand to hear about....

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #485 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
Just throwing out an example of what O'Dell could have talked about during the post mouse episodes...no bigs.

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #486 on: August 20, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Funny how badly we want to hear about some religions.....and others you just can't stand to hear about....

And had he talked on and on about scientology (I did not even know he was a scientologist if I am honest) all of these comments would be about how much of a 'kook' he is and how he wouldn't shut up about his religion.  There is no winning.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
perhaps these guys figured out they could get tax breaks by being involved in Scientology.
They give a big donation and receive it back effectively laundering a tax free income.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:25 AM »
There was plenty of interesting shit that totally got glossed over. Like mike carroll not liking koston having his own agent instead of representing himself, the whole contest era, truely tackling being sponsored by shitty mainstream companies, the space between yeah right and fully flared. This shouldve been like 10 episodes minimum. Too much is glossed over after mouse. Next to nothing about menikmati? Fucking seriously? That part basically introduced koston to the early 2000s generation of skaters. This was not a very in depth series and its not like he puts these out consistently so theres no reason to hold back. This was 6 episodes of revisionist history and advertising and that really pisses me off.

Hit the nail on the head... it was a 6 week long Oakley ad..glad to see Alphonzo Rawls talking..and its cool seeing Koston being a dad it adds a level of humility you may or may not have seen (like the Ricky O and Kalis episodes) and shit but they skipped over so much shit its insane...arguably one of the greatest dudes to ever do it and O'Dell some how felt he could cover an amazing 20+ yr career in 6 eps? I've loved watching Koston for as long as ive been skating i couldnt believe that was it when i saw the end in fact i watched it twice to see if there was a "Continued in Part 7" i might have missed..I would really have liked to know more about filming for the Lakai Video Guy and MJ had plenty to say about that video imagine anyone apart of it did...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:56:18 AM by Tarela »

Participation

• Rep: -27
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2012, 04:32:40 AM »
mayb koston is a faget

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hit the nail on the head... it was a 6 week long Oakley ad..glad to see Alphonzo Rawls talking..and its cool seeing Koston being a dad it adds a level of humility you may or may not have seen (like the Ricky O and Kalis episodes) and shit but they skipped over so much shit its insane...arguably one of the greatest dudes to ever do it and O'Dell some how felt he could cover an amazing 20+ yr career in 6 eps? I've loved watching Koston for as long as ive been skating i couldnt believe that was it when i saw the end in fact i watched it twice to see if there was a "Continued in Part 7" i might have missed..I would really have liked to know more about filming for the Lakai Video Guy and MJ had plenty to say about that video imagine anyone apart of it did...

yeeeah, agreed. like even one sorta interesting story from filming each part that people may not have known about

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
ok this might be a dumb question but why did he and Atiba have to drive up to Santa Barbara from LA for a handrail?  it was just the perfect rail for that trick?  seems kind of crazy to me with the zillions of handrails here
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
ok this might be a dumb question but why did he and Atiba have to drive up to Santa Barbara from LA for a handrail?  it was just the perfect rail for that trick?  seems kind of crazy to me with the zillions of handrails here
i heard that rail is tall too.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

trannies and mannies

« Reply #494 on: August 23, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
I really wanted to hear more about menikmati and yeah right but oh well.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #495 on: August 23, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
shit like that happens all the time, especially a few years ago when board companies were still making a lot of money. Theres  alot of random tricks at non cali spots that dudes flew out just to hit. I think the white square rail that Jamie skates in one of the Zero videos he flew out just to do, and Reynolds flew to Philly just to frontside flip Love Park.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
shit like that happens all the time, especially a few years ago when board companies were still making a lot of money. Theres  alot of random tricks at non cali spots that dudes flew out just to hit. I think the white square rail that Jamie skates in one of the Zero videos he flew out just to do, and Reynolds flew to Philly just to frontside flip Love Park.

santa barbara is like (keeping that menikmati slang) a 1,5 hour drive? this is nothing.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #497 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

santa barbara is like (keeping that menikmati slang) a 1,5 hour drive? this is nothing.

i get that.  but have you been to LA?  there are a few rails here...   some might say
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #498 on: August 24, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sure thing but what about one might want to hit that rail located in downtown S.F. where Cardiel did the massive 50-50?

Also: Same rail, same conditions for everyone. I guess thats the way pros compete with each other on 'the streets'.

[close]

i get that.  but have you been to LA?  there are a few rails here...   some might say

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #499 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sure thing but what about one might want to hit that rail located in downtown S.F. where Cardiel did the massive 50-50?

Also: Same rail, same conditions for everyone. I guess thats the way pros compete with each other on 'the streets'.

[close]

[close]

Maybe he loves being in Santa Barbara, everything seems right there. You know, when you go back to Santa Barbara, the rails are the right height. The concrete is the right color, kind of a greyish-white sort of thing. It just feels right.

westtoast

• Rep: -2
« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
without traffic, la to sb is nothing. before those rails were skate-stopped you could basically get in a ton of tries, which puts you at ease. they were also just really nice rails to skate. they were like the perfect first boardslide rail.

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2012, 05:19:46 AM »
without traffic, la to sb is nothing. before those rails were skate-stopped you could basically get in a ton of tries, which puts you at ease. they were also just really nice rails to skate. they were like the perfect first boardslide rail.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:20 AM »
Hadn't seen that clip in awhile. That shit is priceless. I wonder if that kids on here now or still skates?
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #503 on: August 25, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
his name is Bastien Salabanzi, he rode for Flip, had a pretty successful career

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #504 on: August 25, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
His name's Zach, I see him around all the time.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »
I always thought it was rad that he did the tre noseblunt on the SB rail...he definitely had an affinity for it.  Think of all the tricks he did on it in Mouse...the line with the front blunt then crook, the front crook, nollie halfcab sw crook and back smith 180.  That was definitely a rail suited for NBD's back then...like Reynold's front blunt bs flip.  

Sidenote:  were those episode's trying to prepare us for very few, if any,  Koston clips in the chocolate video?  Ty and Atiba talking about how things used to come quickly for him,  How busy he is now, and how he doesn't need to put out anymore parts.  I felt like they were doing the same thing in the Arto episodes.