Author Topic: quitting smoking - cigarrettes  (Read 951 times)

pile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
quitting smoking - cigarrettes
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
so,

i've been a pretty thorough smoker for about 5 years now, a pack a day, and have recently decided that i'm over it. it's holding me back financially a lot as it's about ten bucks a pack here, plus the coffees to go with the before and after work smoke, so i'm looking at around fifteen bucks a day directly related to smoking.

i'm only about 16 hours into my first day and i'm feeling fine but, of course i've felt like smoking a whole lot throughout the process. any pals have good advice/methods about quitting? i would appreciate any help.

thanks.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: quitting smoking - cigarrettes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
E-Cigs all the way. No nicotine fits, no carcinogens. I started smoking at either 14 or 15 but haven't had a real cig in well over a year. I don't know if you've seen the movie Limitless, but I feel like that except just with smelling stuff.

Edit after seeing video: fucking gnar, my comment about nicotine is for cats in general. Fucking insane.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:57:44 PM by grimcity »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
There's some good stuff in here, for some reason I couldn't find it using the search bar

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=60740.0
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:56:43 PM by Baron Samedi »

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
I only smoked about 4 years, but was up to 1.5-2 packs a day when I finally quit. Only thing that finally worked was stopping cold turkey and just dealing with it.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
I smoked through my senior year in high school and all throughout college, masters included so about 7.5 years. About a pack a day and a coffee addict(still haven't kicked that one) and quit cold turkey. Don't let anyone tell you parts of it won't suck cause parts will, but it's worth it in the long run. And your clothes will smell way better

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
im 29, i inhaled my first cigarette when i was 10-11, smoked a pack a day from 96-2011, august 1st will be one year for me. i went cold turkey, but smoked a ton of weed to help ween mysel foff, now i have been off the weed for 2 weeks and I have never felt as healthy in my adult life, sleeping, skating better and mentally healthier.
get it done pine, give yourself a grace period wher eyou can indulge in other shit, liek cand yor weed or whatever works, then break away.
good luck, god speed. 

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
Don't smell cigarette smoke while trying to quit.  That always gets me.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
You just have to want to not smoke more than you want to. My girlfriend and I both stopped at the same time. She's broken down and smokes socially all the time, but I've somehow managed to not have smoked in over 14 months. I feel pretty lucky, actually. Good luck! Also, at 15$ a day you could be buying a new deck every week.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »
you gotta do it for yourself, no a girl or parents or anybody but you.
i started to jog and bike and skate harder to push my lungs so i could see and feel the results.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
It's got to be cold turkey and you have to have a justification for quitting that's important to you.  I quit a long time ago and what worked for me was to just start telling friends/family that I quit.  I value my word above most things and I knew if I smoked after telling people that I quit that I would be a horseshit liar so I just latched onto that.  It was weird, I didn't think I was all that serious about quitting but I turned it into a challenge that resonated more with keeping my word and less about quitting smoking and it worked.  If you aren't at that point yet then go out and buy the shittiest cigarettes you can find to help form a negative association to the experience.

No drinking sessions until after you are confident you have it kicked.  After that just keep in mind that when you do drink you are going to have to fight the urge a lot but dangle the carrot that you'll feel a million times better the next day if you don't smoke.  A lot of people crack when the booze is flowing even after a long stint of not smoking, don't let it happen. 

Anything you can do like skating hard, running, riding a bike, hiking, being outside in fresh air etc. that makes you acutely aware of the damage you are doing to yourself helps motivate you to quit and make the positive results more apparent.

Don't watch Mad Men or Pulp Fiction for awhile.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
I got myself down to a couple a day, but couldn't quite fully quit until my first daughter was born, which was a huge motivating factor. I was then able to quit cold turkey pretty easily and haven't smoked in the three years since. If you are serious about quitting, you'll get there.

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
e-cigs and a girlfriend who hates smoking are all you need.