Author Topic: Traveling Argentina and Uruguay  (Read 1784 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Traveling Argentina and Uruguay
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the new section.

I'm hoping you more avid travelers can help me out. I made a thread about traveling to Argentina and Uruguay. This is my first trip overseas without any one's help and my girlfriend is clueless about travel since this will be her first time leaving the country. I just need some tips on where's the best place to exchange money, how does a visa/passport cost, what kind of adapter or transformer or do I buy or anything else that could help me on this trip.

And is there any neighborhoods in those countries I should avoid? I think I've done enough research on where to go and what to do but I'm up for more suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:37:12 AM by Crass »

Diogenes

• Rep: 10
Re: Traveling Argentina and Uruguay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
Yo,

To change money...well change some in the airport when you land, or a better idea is to take the money straight from the ATM and carry no more than 50 with you at any time; if you find something you want to buy over that price, simply go to the bank machine (there are plenty, honestly). Also if and when your stuck with only US in your hand, they do take it pretty much anywhere in S.A. but beware...the rate they give you will suck.

Adapter wise....your looking at
Argentina      220 V     50 Hz, Uruguay is the same.

I'm not sure about American visa's as I'm european and thus they were free when I went...there also pretty laxed about it.

Buenos Aires is kinda sketch at times, but only if you look like an a-typical tourist. Also, its fucking A1 for skating.

Hope that helps,
Peace
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
i have a bunch of argentinian friends and they told me the crazy shit down there is kidnappings, especially if you're a tourist and look like you got any kind of money.  they'll hold you captive for weeks until they bleed your back account dry.  then if you're lucky, they might let you go instead of just killing you. 
i don't know much about uruguay though but argentina can be a bit dangerous if you're not on point. 
it might have been argentina or maybe brazil but the ES team got jacked for all their camera equipment at gunpoint last year and it was broad daylight out.

Diogenes

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
Getting kidnapped is a LOT more common in places like Colombia, Bolivia and in rare cases Peru. Luckily I dont have to worry about them thinking I look moneyed or of them bleeding my bank account dry. Might take a matter of minutes.

The ?s team had their equip. relieved of them in Lima, Peru.

Uruguay is super safe and chilled. Relax on the horror stories and in general, shit happens. Just have some wit and common sense and you'll at least avoid the worst.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:55:11 PM by O »
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
thats whats up. 

i've been wanting to go down to argentina for a while.   i just need like $800 for a ticket and some spending cash.  my friends all offered to let me stay with them and take me skating all over the country.  i need to find a briefcase full of money or win the lottery.     

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »
thats whats up.? 

i've been wanting to go down to argentina for a while.?  ? i just need like $800 for a ticket and some spending cash.?  my friends all offered to let me stay with them and take me skating all over the country.?  i need to find a briefcase full of money or win the lottery.?  ?  ? 
Dude, American Airlines has tickets for $500...unless they went up this week. My girlfriend and I made a budget for these two countries for under $4,000 (this is for one week).

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
Yo,

To change money...well change some in the airport when you land, or a better idea is to take the money straight from the ATM and carry no more than 50 with you at any time; if you find something you want to buy over that price, simply go to the bank machine (there are plenty, honestly). Also if and when your stuck with only US in your hand, they do take it pretty much anywhere in S.A. but beware...the rate they give you will suck.
Adapter wise....your looking at
Argentina? ?     220 V? ?    50 Hz, Uruguay is the same.
I'm not sure about American visa's as I'm european and thus they were free when I went...there also pretty laxed about it.
Buenos Aires is kinda sketch at times, but only if you look like an a-typical tourist. Also, its fucking A1 for skating.
Hope that helps,
Peace
Which place has the best exchange rate or are they all the same? And I don't plan on caring loads of cash, I'll probably carry about $75. ? Oh yeah, I know not to look like a typical tourist. And we're going in April and I'm sure not many tourist want to travel when it's colder. Another question, what kind of adapter should I buy? I'm bringing a shaver and my girlfriend will need her hair straightener.

Diogenes

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
Yeah, 800$ does sound pretty steep!

Adapter's are readily available in any airport and most markets!

Im pretty sure they are like 2 pronged?

Not sure entirely

Also 4000$!!?? Is this your honey moon or something!? I went for 6 months and spent 4000 euros...

Anyway, I guess it'll be awesome either way.

Carrying $75 should be fine but its quite a lot of dough, if you got to Buenos Aires try Ugi's pizza, its real simple (cheese, salt and oregano) but impressively cheap, like 1.50 dollars for a whole pizza or something crazy like that.

Also, a rib eye steak is a must! (In argentina)

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »

Electicity guide

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Voltz      Hertz     Type of outlet
and for argentina :  220 V      50 Hz      C & I*
            Uruguay       220 V      50 Hz      C, F, I* & L

Theres some good travel addapters that have all of these in one

And 4 k USD for one week is one heck of a budget , South american countrys are usualy cheap .

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
^^^
Thanks.
Yeah, 800$ does sound pretty steep!
Adapter's are readily available in any airport and most markets!
Im pretty sure they are like 2 pronged?
Not sure entirely
Also 4000$!!?? Is this your honey moon or something!? I went for 6 months and spent 4000 euros...
Anyway, I guess it'll be awesome either way.
Carrying $75 should be fine but its quite a lot of dough, if you got to Buenos Aires try Ugi's pizza, its real simple (cheese, salt and oregano) but impressively cheap, like 1.50 dollars for a whole pizza or something crazy like that.
Also, a rib eye steak is a must! (In argentina)
Ok, that makes things easier but I'll probably buy one before just in case one breaks. Well it's not exactly $4,000. I added extra money for emergency or if something cost more than what we expect. The flights are a little over $1,000 for both of us, then the flight from Buenos Airs to Montevideo is around $200 for both of us, then the hotels, food, taxis, shopping, etc is the rest. I love to eat and I'm not gonna turn down the good meat in those two countries. Then we both have to get a passport and a visa even though I don't think it's required. This is actually cheap, I figured this trip was gonna cost us more. If you have any travel budget suggestions I'm up for them. This is my first time traveling without my parents so I have to make my own budget.

Diogenes

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
There is a ferry to montevideo fro buenos aires for 40 dollars return....it takes less than an hour

Hotels...you can find cheap ones and if you want to get good night life get the south america Rough Guide book, its good.

Also, public transport is the norm in these two countries which makes it more effective, also a strangely intriguing cultural experience sitting on the buses, a good way to see the city and get to know them also.

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
There is a ferry to montevideo fro buenos aires for 40 dollars return....it takes less than an hour

Hotels...you can find cheap ones and if you want to get good night life get the south america Rough Guide book, its good.

Also, public transport is the norm in these two countries which makes it more effective, also a strangely intriguing cultural experience sitting on the buses, a good way to see the city and get to know them also.
I'll have to check that out, I prefer a ferry over a boat anyways...and my girlfriend has never been on a boat before so that should be a good experience for her. Do they run all day and on weekends? We're planning to be in Uruguay from April 28-30.

Sounds good, I'll read that guide. I've looked up on Buenos Aires metro, but not Montevideo's. We plan to walk a lot though, it's cheaper and you get a good sense of the city and culture. Are the taxis reasonable?

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »
YOU CAN BUY A FARM IN URUGUAY FOR THE PRICE OF A BIG MAC IN LONDON