Author Topic: Shaun White in London, campaigning for Skateboarding in Olympics  (Read 26025 times)

Bitter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162

LONDON (Reuters) - Dressed all in black, snowboarder Shaun White looked out through his reflective designer sunglasses at the Olympic rings floating on the Thames on Monday and pondered the idea of becoming a crossover Olympian.

A double-Winter Games gold medallist and a global brand, American White liked the idea.

One problem. Skateboarding, his summer sport of choice is not an Olympic sport. At least not yet.

With his thick mane of shaggy red hair, White, 25, is one of the world's most recognisable and popular athletes with a portfolio of sponsorships and endorsements that would make Roger Federer feel under appreciated.

Having signed his first endorsement deal at age seven, White has somehow managed to maintain much of his street level credibility while driving a Lamborghini and dating supermodels like Bar Refaeli, recently voted Maxim magazine's Hottest Woman in the World.

But under the White brand beats the heart of a simple dude who, "just likes to ride".

"I've heard talk about 2016 in Brazil maybe getting skateboarding, for me that would be like the ultimate to compete Winter and Summer," White told Reuters. "The only thing I could relate it to would be the Summer and Winter X-Games, I compete in both of those and have medals in both.

"At the time I thought it was the biggest thing that could ever happen until I won the Olympics and then it changed the game."

There is no disputing that White's arrival on the Olympic stage was a game changer for the International Olympic Committee (IOC). While snowboarders have fiercely clung to their counter-culture roots, a decade of growth sparked by three Olympic Games have brought the sport mainstream appeal and - (gasp) respectability.

Once as welcome as swine flu at ski resorts, snowboarders now rule over the mountains they were once chased from and White is their King.
Absorbed into the establishment they once rebelled against, snowboarding has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry where the biggest names like White are linked with everything from video games to home decorating.

With the IOC desperate to keep the Games relevant snowboarding has become the cornerstone of the Olympic youth movement. Since snowboarding was welcomed into the Olympic lodge at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, the Winter Games have steadily upped their hip quotient with an ever-expanding list of "rad" disciplines, including snowboard-cross and ski cross.

The Summer Games, however, has not found yet found a way to tap into the same youthful vibe, delicately fine-tuning its program with the addition of BMX and little else.

The addition of skateboarding would provide the Summer Games with a massive injection of "street cred" but skateboarders are not as convinced they need the Olympics.

In the skateboarding community the most respected skaters do not even compete, satisfied to showcase their moves on YouTube and leave the gold medals to synchronised swimmers and modern pentathletes.

Hardcore skateboarders underlined their distain for all things Olympic by launching an online petition urging IOC president Jacques Rogge not to recognise skateboarding.

"With due respect for Olympic athletes, we the undersigned skateboarders and advocates strongly request that the IOC not recognise skateboarding as an Olympic sport or use skateboarding to market the Olympics," reads the petition. "Skateboarding is not a "sport" and we do not want skateboarding exploited and transformed to fit into the Olympic program."

"There's good and bad," said White, who recently won the ESPY Awards as Best Male Action Sport Athlete for the fifth consecutive year. "It (the Olympics) made the sport (snowboarding) bigger, more popular but to people to holding onto something that is very core, very true it is always hard to go through a change like that.

"But I thought it did something really amazing for the sport. It brought more money, more attention to the sport.

"The beginnings of snowboarding you weren't even allowed on the mountain, now there are mountains that compete over who has the best snowboard park."

White's star status has made the Olympic half-pipe the hottest ticket at the Winter Games and there is little doubt an appearance by the "Flying Tomato" on the vert (half-pipe) at the 2016 Rio Summer Games would do the same.

But despite White's enthusiasm and backing there is little chance skateboarders will be doing their thing in Rio.

It takes a full seven years for a new sport to work its way through the IOC red tape onto the Games program or it could be fast-tracked as a new discipline but would have to be absorbed into an existing federation such as the International Cycling Union (UCI) - something skaters want no part of.

The biggest hurdle standing in the way of skateboarding joining the Games is the lack of structure within the skating community with no single governing body able to pull together all the different factions, tours and promoters.

"Even in snowboarding it was tough," said White.

Beeda Weeda

Re: Shaun White in London, campaigning for Skateboarding in Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
shaun white does not get "it"

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
I just want to crawl in a cave and die.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Rod Kimble

• Rep: -17
  • Thats number one!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
May hatred for Shaun white has just grown immensely.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »

It's already August, dude.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
Skateboarding will be in the Olympics one day.  It's inevitable, they want the youth market it appeals too. How many people do rowing or play handball? Olympics are boring as fuck though.

Rod Kimble

• Thats number one!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's already August, dude.

Damn typos.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
Andy Mac, Bucky, Burnquist, PLG .....all them vert peasants would be in it too

niallc95

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »
Somebody needs to execute him before he opens his mouth again..

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
he should campaign for sucking fat ass to become an olympic sport cos he'd definitely win gold       l o l   : )

Dirty Sprite

• Rep: -5
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:44:13 AM »
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

The hilarity when a bunch of guys test positive for marijuana.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
"But I thought it did something really amazing for the sport. It brought more money, more attention to the sport."

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
Man, I can't believe Bar Raefeli (sp?) is banging this kook.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

TheDonutFather

• Rep: -3
    • DOUBLE DONUTS. avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
White has somehow managed to maintain much of his street level credibility

Hahahahaahahaa

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Skateboarding will be in the Olympics one day.  It's inevitable, they want the youth market it appeals too. How many people do rowing or play handball? Olympics are boring as fuck though.

I saw canoeing and kayaking, seemed kind of fun. Not really

Other than other sports, olympics are boring as fuck
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
I agree with tate, other than sports the olympics are boring.

I kno there's sno-bro's in here. How is shaun white viewed amongst other snowboarders?I'd have to guess that even the mountains most blunted think that this dude is lame.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Rod Kimble

• Thats number one!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

I kno there's sno-bro's in here. How is shaun white viewed amongst other snowboarders?I'd have to guess that even the mountains most blunted think that this dude is lame.

Hes not very well liked.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »

Dude, he won the espie for best male action sports athlete for the past 5 years, how can he NOT be respected?

I've never really cared if the olympics had skateboarding, but now I want it to be delayed long enough to make sure this kook can't get his gold medal.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

i'm nocturnal.

• Rep: -22

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
It would be pretty damn funny if the entire skate Olympics line-up tested positive for one or more drugs.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
White has somehow managed to maintain much of his street level credibility

Hahahahaahahaa
My thought exactly. If they took more than two seconds to find someone else who doesn't skate for fucking target, they'd probably realize not many skateboarders want to be involved in the olympics. Or any kind of competitive skating.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
It would be pretty damn funny if the entire skate Olympics line-up tested positive for one or more drugs.

I know that's a fun joke and everything, but I've beaten a ton of drug tests in a few ways, and I'm not a well-to-do professional athlete entering into the Olympics.  I think the drug tests would be a non-issue.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »
I want to see Antwuan on Olympics..Imagine the interviews..

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
I want to see Antwuan on Olympics..Imagine the interviews..
no.

shaun white has no street cred.
Last winter I was at a house party with a bunch of snow bros and I made the asumption tha shaun was the king of snowboarding and apparently he's not even cool with snowboarders. They coudlnt beleive i had said it, apparently he cant bomb hills all he does is the half pike.

ScreamingHand

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »
eesh

foureyedjim

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dude, he won the espie for best male action sports athlete for the past 5 years, how can he NOT be respected?

I've never really cared if the olympics had skateboarding, but now I want it to be delayed long enough to make sure this kook can't get his gold medal.

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why he's pulling this shit.  It's those damn medals

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
Dudes probably the worst possible ambassador for skateboarding, considering even snowboarders hate this guy.