Author Topic: Shaun White in London, campaigning for Skateboarding in Olympics  (Read 26016 times)

ttching!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Shaun White in London, campaigning for Skateboarding in Olympics
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
I think its time we all revoke his street cred, publicly. Dude needs to watch this a couple times and quietly go back to his vert ramp.

Matt Rodriguez Mixtape

trannies and mannies

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
This guy is the worst.

Dominic Hynard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
Skating in the olympics would be horrible. Not only the whole drug test aspect, finding people who want to compete, the whole nationality idea. You guys know who's going to commentate.

Sal Masakela and Felix Arguelles. God dammit.

thebarracks

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
i'd  bar Refaeli

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
This dude seriously can't be allowed to represent skateboarders

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
it would just be another boring very contest with microphones on the coping.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
The only international skateboard federation is WCS, and skaters would have to compete in that to qualify. Austin Seaholm is killing WCS events. Until WCS events compete with Street League prize money I doubt most skaters will switch over to that. Skating in the Olympics would be Vert and weird skaters you never hear of, like all those Brazillians.

The Donger

• Rep: -63
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
I was watching this thing on tv about that young swimmer from Colorado, she's under 18. Her parents have to keep a schedule of all her activities 24 hours a day so whenever the doping judges pop up they can find her. She can't even take over the counter allergy medicine.skateboarding lifestyle doesn't fit in with the strict regiment of the Olympics. Only Straight edge jock type skaters would qualify.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
I was watching this thing on tv about that young swimmer from Colorado, she's under 18. Her parents have to keep a schedule of all her activities 24 hours a day so whenever the doping judges pop up they can find her. She can't even take over the counter allergy medicine.skateboarding lifestyle doesn't fit in with the strict regiment of the Olympics. Only Straight edge jock type skaters would qualify.

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
Fuck Shaun White.

Liam Baker

• Rep: -50
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
If skating goes to the Olympics, I'll cry. Then it'd just be washed up vert pros and all those damn Brazilians nobody's ever heard of, and then skateboarding would lose all fun. Somebody needs to kill this asshole.
fuck

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
I think its funny how whenever posters here benefit in some way, its ok to sell out. Nike, Converse, Adidas in skateboarding? I can wear those, so they aren't sketchy corporate influences. A skateboarding contest in the olympics that I'll never be in and don't have to watch? This is bullshit! Skateboarding needs to get more raw!
If you look down at your feet and see Nike, Cons, or adidas on your feet, then shut the fuck up about the olympics you greedy hypocrite. Hold yourself to the standard you hold others to.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
I think its funny how whenever posters here benefit in some way, its ok to sell out. Nike, Converse, Adidas in skateboarding? I can wear those, so they aren't sketchy corporate influences. A skateboarding contest in the olympics that I'll never be in and don't have to watch? This is bullshit! Skateboarding needs to get more raw!
If you look down at your feet and see Nike, Cons, or adidas on your feet, then shut the fuck up about the olympics you greedy hypocrite. Hold yourself to the standard you hold others to.

well stated. on another note the whole "uniform" that most Olympians wear would also be another funny thing that factors into skateboarding in the olympics.it will happen sooner or later- dudes who are in the big contests right now would probably sign up at the same time there SOO many who would flat out refuse to partake.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Rayden

• Rep: -4
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
White has somehow managed to maintain much of his street level credibility

Hahahahaahahaa

Exact same reaction I had.

via

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

Don't forget Vans.

HairyCunt

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »
Vans is not the same as Nike Cons Adidas. Just don't.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
I get what you are saying Gipper, but hasn't Adidas been supprting skating for a couple of decades by paying Mark Gonzales? More of a question than a statement. Not sure if everyone would be hating on this if it was Dill pushing for the olympics. I personally think it would be a shockingly bad idea but I physically have zero influence on the outcome of this. Maybe if it gets in and, like previously stated in other posts, only kooks and Brazilians enter and doesn't get watched they would drop it just as quick.

via

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 03:36:35 PM »
Vans is not the same as Nike Cons Adidas. Just don't.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-14/vf-s-vans-unit-to-add-athletic-shoes-to-challenge-nike

"VF will start selling the Vans LXVI, named for Vans? founding in 1966, at sporting-goods and athletic retailers including Foot Locker Inc. (FL) (FL) and Footaction in two weeks, Kevin Bailey, Vans? president, said today in an interview at Bloomberg News headquarters in New York. The line is part of Vans? push to boost sales by $1 billion to $2.2 billion in five years.

The shoe, starting at $70, is aimed at young consumers who ?are more likely to be a teen walking around the streets in a pair of running shoes or basketball shoes,? said Bailey, 51. ?This brings a new consumer into the Vans stable of footwear.?

The new release from VF, the world?s largest apparel maker, comes as sales of skating shoes in the U.S. declined 2 percent to $504 million in the 12 months through April, according to NPD Group. The overall U.S. athletic shoe market increased 0.7 percent to $25.9 billion in the same period, the Port Washington, New York-based group said."

Yeah, Vans has roots. But that's about it, at this point.

I'd be willing to bet that the number of Vans sold to skateboarders, in skate shops, is less than 30% of their overall sales.. Admittedly, I just made that number up out of thin air. But if someone kind find some kind of real number on that, that would be cool.

HairyCunt

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
Roots is what matters. If Lakai had those numbers it wouldn't change them either.  Vans was releasing pro skate shoes when skating was at its lowest points. The others got in when it was profitable for them to do so.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
it could bring in some good money. imagine all the olympic pro model shoes. its gunna be like the fourth of july on your feet.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

via

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »
Roots is what matters. If Lakai had those numbers it wouldn't change them either.  Vans was releasing pro skate shoes when skating was at its lowest points. The others got in when it was profitable for them to do so.

I can't argue that, and I'm really just playing devils advocate. Gipper has a valid point, and I'm just adding my two cents to it. But Vans is also not what it was in it's inception, either. The roots are there, but they're rotting away.

Skateboarding is just getting bigger, and there's no stopping it, or really anything wrong with it, but it still doesn't sit right with me. I'm really not mad at people making a lot of money off of skateboarding. It's kind cool that some of these guys grandkids won't ever have to work because of a piece of wood with wheels, but that's all on an individual basis. I'm happy for them, but unhappy at what it's doing to skateboarding. Catch-22.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
imagine the boards people would skate:

also i hope for full pads and spandex suits.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
Roots is what matters. If Lakai had those numbers it wouldn't change them either.  Vans was releasing pro skate shoes when skating was at its lowest points. The others got in when it was profitable for them to do so.
If it's just roots that matter, then Nike should be in the clear since there's a pair of illustrated swooshes on the first issue of Thrasher. Anyway, Vans isn't the same company that it was... the roots are only in the name. It'd be like buying a World deck because you appreciate what Rocco did in the industry.

I don't really dig the shoe argument so much because there are two things all skate shoe companies have in common:
1. They pay skaters.
2. They're made in China.

Jackburton

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
LD rash on pussy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1QWKrWn5o&feature=related

LD and Billy Connolly in the same thread.  Now all we need is some bill hicks.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
imagine the boards people would skate:

i didnt see it like that. i figured they would wear all over print t-shirts with the countries flag on it, or just wear the basketball jerseys.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
I hope they put skateboarding in the olympics. But only with real street. Would be sooo funny to see the vertguys crying about it. Especially mr.white...

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
Olympic Miniramp only

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
olympic freestyle

seriously though imagine if sports currently in the olympics had the other sides to them like skateboarding does

piss drunx pro swimmers?

dirty ghetto kid track runners?

baha

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Freestyle would make a comeback, and they would skate the olympic basketball courts until the team came to practice they'd be all "YO, WE'RE TRYNA PLAY A GAME HERE", then the second round would be in the parking lot.

HairyCunt

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 06:15:35 PM »
olympic freestyle

seriously though imagine if sports currently in the olympics had the other sides to them like skateboarding does

piss drunx pro swimmers?

dirty ghetto kid track runners?

baha

That's all of them. They're from Jamaica, Trinidad, D.R.