Author Topic: Baker's "Gooks Of Hazzard" Backlash  (Read 36155 times)

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Baker's "Gooks Of Hazzard" Backlash
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
Family research council isn't just a family group, and they gave large donations to them:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/family-research-council

I also think religion is used as an excuse for oppression. Anti-gay views are not central at all to Christian dogma, but people who are anti-gay tend to use the religious angle to justify their views. The same thing was done for slavery and the Indian genocide. Today nobody would ever support killing off non-believers or enslaving people because it is central to their beliefs.
You can disagree with the boycott, but its not an infringement on free speech to conduct it.

I completely agree with this, I really don't understand hateful Christians, that should be an oxy moron right? I mean what happened to grace, not passing judgement and do onto others as you would have done onto yourself? Unfortunately there's so many of them that go the complete opposite direction of the foundation of their faith. I mean go to church one sunday and you'll be sure to hear how "we're all sinners" well isn't homosexuality just another sin to them? I mean shit lying is a sin, everyone does that, so whats the big deal about gays? I just don't understand trying to keep someone else from doing something...its kind of sick to me, like a control freak. I mean they aren't hurting you, why do you care? Don't people ever think that if they use the state to take away the rights of one person or group they are opening to the door to have their rights taken too? Also say it was illegal to be gay, right, it was the law, you'd go to jail if you did it, but you still were gay right but you weren't choosing to not "sin" you were just doing it because you didn't want to go to jail, it's not like you're doing it to be reverent. Anyway sorry for the rant on this, these are just things that come to mind on this topic.

I don't even disagree with the boycott, if I was gay i'd definitely be bummed on what was said. I mean I know all the owners of all the Chickfila's near me and out of the 5 I know only one of them has the same views the president does but still would never voice them in a manner that would hurt anyones feelings. That's why I'm annoyed with it though because the ones who are for equal marriage rights and who have gays one their team are getting hate mail and people throwing trash at them on a daily basis. I just think there are bigger fish to fry in their fight for civil liberties and marriage equality. I honestly don't see how this isn't a constitutional issue...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

That's clear as crystal to me.....

Family research council a bunch of nasty control freaks, who aren't even true Christians. Thanks for pointing them out to me. I had to go to a few sites to read up, I'm not a fan of the southern poverty law center, but even Wikipedia was enough for me to see they were scum.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:54:53 PM by TMKF »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Everyone in this topic is missing the point. 

Baker markets their shit to kids aged 11-17 and they're marketing racism to kids.  Yeah, most of us on here get it
and understand self-depreciation and realize that it is meant to be a joke.  However, kids are generally dumb as fuck and buy into stupid
shit and this is Baker making racism "cool" and picking on a seem ingly weak target (Asians).  So what they consider to be a harmless joke, turns into kids at the skatepark calling the asian a "fucking Gook" and thinking its funny right, because it is just a joke....

How anyone could support companies like Baker and Deathwish is beyond me...they are beyond the worst.   If they had any balls they'd  put Antwuan and Terry on a shirt on call it The Niggers of Hazzard....that should be fine, right?
You suck

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mole

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Everyone in this topic is missing the point. 

Baker markets their shit to kids aged 11-17 and they're marketing racism to kids.  Yeah, most of us on here get it
and understand self-depreciation and realize that it is meant to be a joke.  However, kids are generally dumb as fuck and buy into stupid
shit and this is Baker making racism "cool" and picking on a seem ingly weak target (Asians).  So what they consider to be a harmless joke, turns into kids at the skatepark calling the asian a "fucking Gook" and thinking its funny right, because it is just a joke....

How anyone could support companies like Baker and Deathwish is beyond me...they are beyond the worst.   If they had any balls they'd  put Antwuan and Terry on a shirt on call it The Niggers of Hazzard....that should be fine, right?
[close]
You suck

Nah, fuck baker and deathwish. Good teams but that's it. I just don't think it's cool for a recovered drug addict and alcoholic to promote drugs and alcohol to 12 year olds. Little kids will do that shit just to be like fucking Lizard or some other cunt, but then they run the risk of turning it into a habit and potentially ruining their lives. Not saying i'm against drugs and alcohol here - i certainly am not - but using it to sell shit to little kids is really fucking wrong in my eyes.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
It's kind of false advertising anyway. Shimizu is clearly a nip, not a gook.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »

I don't even disagree with the boycott, if I was gay i'd definitely be bummed on what was said. I mean I know all the owners of all the Chickfila's near me and out of the 5 I know only one of them has the same views the president does but still would never voice them in a manner that would hurt anyones feelings.

why do you know all the owners of all the local chick f il la s?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Lurkatron

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »
This shit is funny, it's a fucking shirt calm down. 

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote

I don't even disagree with the boycott, if I was gay i'd definitely be bummed on what was said. I mean I know all the owners of all the Chickfila's near me and out of the 5 I know only one of them has the same views the president does but still would never voice them in a manner that would hurt anyones feelings.
[close]

haha yeah what is this

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
its all good if Shimuzu and Nuge are down for the joke. But i wouldn't wear it, I'm not offended or anything its just i'm sure i'll get beaten up...

I've noticed a lot of social justice discussions on slap recently. I hope this place doesn't turn into tumblr.

Shamalamalon

• Rep: -14
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 02:39:31 AM »
It's kind of false advertising anyway. Shimizu is clearly a nip, not a gook.

Ohh dang!!!
[URL=http://s109.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Buncha goddamned crybabies! United States of the muthafuckin offended. People now days aren't happy unless they got something to bitch about. Meanwhile 80 million muthafuckers unemployed and we bitchin' about Chic muh fuckin Filet, gay marriage and the goddamned Gooks of Hazzard. Fucking pathetic. Its a joke people. Theres funny shit about all races. Deal with it.There, I said it.
[close]

People that don't give a fuck are so cool!
It's liberating you should try it...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
Expand Quote
African Americans call each other "Nigga" and thats acceptable, but when two Asian men call themselves "Gooks" its not acceptable?
[close]
i wasn't trying to make that point but i mean yeah, i do think it's fine if one asian dude wants to call another asian dude gook, jap, or whatever. that doesn't bother me. it bothers me that baker put this dumb fucking shirt out and the majority of the people who will buy it and wear it are white.

and sleazy, maybe you should just shut the fuck up about race because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

careful, there's a tough guy over here

i'll make sure i vet my opinions on subjective matters with you from now on

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 06:30:20 AM »
its all good if Shimuzu and Nuge are down for the joke. But i wouldn't wear it, I'm not offended or anything its just i'm sure i'll get beaten up...

I've noticed a lot of social justice discussions on slap recently. I hope this place doesn't turn into tumblr.

tumblr?  Isn't that just a bunch of pics of boobs, weed, and people with supreme hats on?  You mean reddit?

Also, this:

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Everyone in this topic is missing the point.�

Baker markets their shit to kids aged 11-17 and they're marketing racism to kids.� Yeah, most of us on here get it
and understand self-depreciation and realize that it is meant to be a joke.� However, kids are generally dumb as fuck and buy into stupid
shit and this is Baker making racism "cool" and picking on a seem ingly weak target (Asians).� So what they consider to be a harmless joke, turns into kids at the skatepark calling the asian a "fucking Gook" and thinking its funny right, because it is just a joke....

How anyone could support companies like Baker and Deathwish is beyond me...they are beyond the worst.� �If they had any balls they'd� put Antwuan and Terry on a shirt on call it The Niggers of Hazzard....that should be fine, right?
[close]

Said the same thing in a conversation about this shirt today. Yea its funny or making fun of yourself or whatever, but I think everyone can agree that The Niggers of Hazzard shirt would not be ok, yet this one exists. Obviously racism towards blacks is worse than towards asians but from what I understand gook has some pretty bad history as a slur. As an asian the shirt doesnt offend me, and its kinda funny but I'm not gonna say I wouldnt be bummed if kids start referring to me as a "gook". And I'm sure that people outside of the skate community will not get the joke, so unless you plan on only being around people that know about Nuge and Baker, good luck.

This sort of encapsulates this whole thing.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
haha yeah what is this

haha, did he slip this in to see if anyone would bother to read that giant post?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:15 AM »
KC is a pretty big place. I'm sure there has to be at least one framing shop where no one is going to look sideways at you for shit like that. Who knows, maybe those grannies are even hipper than you think. It is the art world after all.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

buildafire

• Rep: 4
    • Bite My Wire. I interview musicians and skateboarders avatar image
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »

shrimpwhitewine

• Rep: 20
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »
Get a sense of humor, FAGGOTS.

Max Power

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
Baker is laughing all the way to the bank.  They specialize in shit designed to make mommies mad.  Not that many my buy the shirt but they're getting publicity.  And for them bad publicity is good publicity. 

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
Obviously racism towards blacks is worse than towards asians

What. The. Fuck?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »

There's been a lot of ignorant ass shit posted on SLAP recently too. Might be correlated.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
This shirt was made for Asians with a sense of humor to wear. That's about it. Unless you just don't give a fuck and know you're not a racist and love the idea of having Nuge and Shimizu on your shirt. I never thought it was a "bad word" like that, just a term used for viet cong back in the Vietnam war, I remember Bowie using it in a song too. Nobody said shit then.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
TEXT BLOCK WARNING (unfortunately the semi-literate racists this was targeted to probably will have difficulty reading)

^ People said hella shit about Bowie during his racist phase. The whole dressing like a Nazi shit did not go over well. Also, when you use a guy who dressed like a Nazi as an example of why something isn't racist, you lose.
Also, "they just said that to the vietnamese during the war" is like saying "Slave owners used to call their slaves that, whats so offensive?"
Hey, just out of curiousity, has one person who has said to lighten up on here been Asian?
I'm guessing its a bunch of privileged white kids who have never dealt with racism firsthand, aside from when they were the ones being racist. Every poster who I am certain is Asian seems offended. But fuck them! Am I right? I mean who gives a fuck how they feel if the t-shirt is cool? Buy! Buy! Buy! Let's all sing the baker brand loyalty song! First allegiance to brand, and all that bullshit like humanity, empathy, and dignity come in far behind!
Its not about social issues! Its about FASHION!

Racism seizes to be offensive if it is done by a cool company!

Sleazy, is everybody an asshole? Have you ever considered maybe that your attitude, while not intending to be racist, is a bit offensive to others in terms of your racial sensitivity? Also, why are you able to repeat your opinions over and over, but as soon as somebody disagrees, you get mad at them for judging a subjective opinion? By the way, when somebody's opinion is supported by numerical data and historical context, its not very subjective.

Oh, and to everybody who feels like a rebel for thinking this shirt is cool: going along with mainstream racism doesn't make you a badass who doesn't give a fuck, it makes you a corporate sucker who is willing to overlook fucked up attitudes and hurtful products because you think they are cool. You are nothing more than bitches who have bought into marketing so hard, that you are willing to be an asshole for others to defend the company that you have loyalty to. Its like Ed Templeton's joke about Toy Machine's loyal pawns. All the people here who are like "Who gives a fuck? Baker is cool!" Are fucking stupid pawns.

Oh, and if you guys need the short version- The people who are claiming to chill out and that baker's cool value being cool over being an empathetic human being.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
The Dukes of Hazzard was shitty and in poor taste to begin with.  This is only slightly more offensive than an actual Dukes of Hazzard logo, so what's the big deal?  Personally, I wouldn't wear either never, so should you.

Lurkatron

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
With backlash this good I can't wait til a black guy gets on $lave.

rac?ism   [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races  determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race  is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race  or other races.

Pretty sure this shirt is none of these stop throwing this word around, once again it's a funny shirt. If your gonna get pissed off at this shirt please tell me you had a heart attack when Niggas in Paris came out.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
Would anyone even buy and wear that shirt?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
With backlash this good I can't wait til a black guy gets on $lave.

rac?ism   [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races  determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race  is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race  or other races.

Pretty sure this shirt is none of these stop throwing this word around, once again it's a funny shirt. If your gonna get pissed off at this shirt please tell me you had a heart attack when Niggas in Paris came out.
you're an idiot.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ruffles

• Rep: -1
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
Jesus you guys are wetting yourselves over nothing, it's pretty obvious that no one that isn't some kind of Asian is going to buy the shirt.

jums

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
Only white boys are going to buy that goofy shit...

That graphic sucks anyway, a flip on the The Dukes of Hazard title and logo with caricatures of two Asian skateboarders in a riced out (no pun) looking car with a confederate flag on the top... wack

Why is Baker still around?