Author Topic: ROMNEY V. OBAMA  (Read 72300 times)

via

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
ROMNEY V. OBAMA
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:47:23 AM »

Camp Obama claims Mitt Romney killed this mans wife.

I've honestly stopped paying attention as much as I used to. My politics lean left, and I believe Mitt Romney is truly awful person... but after everything Obama has done behind the curtain, the little (and I mean little) spark of hope I had four years ago has long since evaporated.

But the election is coming up, so I figured SLAP needed to put its two cents in.

So, are you voting, who are you voting for, and why? Or do you even care anymore?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: ROMNEY V. OBAMA
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »
I wrote this almost a year ago:
http://www.grimcity.com/gc/?p=1272

...I'll be voting Obama again. I just wish we could get the house and senate in order.

Related to the video, Andrea Saul basically says everyone would have been better off (ie- had healthcare) if they'd lived in Massachusetts.

I'm just enjoying the theatrics now, but Romney has no chance.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:10:29 AM by grimcity »

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:18:52 AM »

I don't know if thats necessarily true. A lot of people are angry at Obama and the economy. The right has done a REALLY good job at instilling the hate for Obama in the last 4 years. I personally think Obama will take it, but it is going to be a closer race than a lot of people think. Lets just hope Romney doesn't take it....anybody making under 250k will be fucked.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
The thing with Romney is he has the personality of John Kerry with way more baggage. Bush was a twit, but a personable twit. Unless something drastic happens I expect Obama to win. The debates could turn out like Kennedy/Nixon.

Another thing, I know it's taboo to discuss religion, but I can't imagine that many women who are familiar with the teachings of the Mormon church would vote Romney.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know if thats necessarily true. A lot of people are angry at Obama and the economy. The right has done a REALLY good job at instilling the hate for Obama in the last 4 years. I personally think Obama will take it, but it is going to be a closer race than a lot of people think. Lets just hope Romney doesn't take it....anybody making under 250k will be fucked.
You're right, but Romney doesn't inspire the Republican right wing... I anticipate a lot of voter apathy from that side of the isle. I'm not even 100% positive that the GOP even wanted to win this election... I'm thinking a Clinton v Dole repeat.
Not to mention, Ron Paul's still in the game, and that doesn't hurt Obama at all. I'm guessing Paul fans would rather eat broken glass than vote for either.

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »
Only thing I like about Romney is his stance on abotion. I think his administration would be more harmful to the middle class as Reagan's. The economy is slowing getting better, and Obama has done alot good things, so I support Obama.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »

LOL JK

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
...I'll be voting Obama again. I just wish we could get the house and senate in order.

same here

i've been hopeful that things would follow this script since i found out about obama the candidate

1 - democrats get whooped real bad and eventual put up a serious candidate (obama)
2 - republicans loose but don't take their beating seriously and put up another bs candidate (mitt)
3 - obama wins a second term, republicans continue to take a whooping and finally put up a serious conservative candidate just in time for when we need one (after 8 years of expansion hopefully we will be in recovery and be ready for more conservative fiscal policies without all the social, religous and corporate baggage. this is the same approach japan used after the lost decade)

people complain that the country is heading in a terrible direction but i've seen it different every since obama won we've been heading in a better direction and i feel that we have a perfect storm brewing for this trend to continue.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
I can't imagine that anyone who is familiar with the teachings of the Mormon church would vote Romney.

Fixed.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
I'm dissatisfied with lots of things Obama has done but he is the only viable candidate. I would much rather vote for Jill Stein of the Green Party (http://www.gp.org/committees/platform/2010/index.php). I'm tired of choosing between two evils.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »
I got no idea about the US system. U got only 2 parties to choose? Democrats and Republicans or there are more?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »
There are a lot of parties, but the way the US election process is set up, we effectively only have two. There are a couple of people in the senate (Lieberman and Sanders come to mind) that are in 3rd parties, but we don't really have multiple party representation nationally.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
obama, there's no way in hell I would let a mormon be president. I wouldn't even let a mormon be my boss.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
There are a lot of reasons why you shouldn't vote for Romney, but I feel like he and the Republican party buried themselves with gay marriage.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
There are a lot of parties, but the way the US election process is set up, we effectively only have two. There are a couple of people in the senate (Lieberman and Sanders come to mind) that are in 3rd parties, but we don't really have multiple party representation nationally.

I blame the first past the post system. you guys should lobby for electoral reform towards instant run off voting! so much smarter.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
are there any modern democracies with more than two viable parties (parties that get real power)? i really think that it's a simple matter of logistics that causes it to organize in that way.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same here

i've been hopeful that things would follow this script since i found out about obama the candidate

1 - democrats get whooped real bad and eventual put up a serious candidate (obama)
2 - republicans loose but don't take their beating seriously and put up another bs candidate (mitt)
3 - obama wins a second term, republicans continue to take a whooping and finally put up a serious conservative candidate just in time for when we need one (after 8 years of expansion hopefully we will be in recovery and be ready for more conservative fiscal policies without all the social, religous and corporate baggage. this is the same approach japan used after the lost decade)

people complain that the country is heading in a terrible direction but i've seen it different every since obama won we've been heading in a better direction and i feel that we have a perfect storm brewing for this trend to continue.
Better not tell Gipper that you secretly like brown people. His head might explode!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I blame the first past the post system. you guys should lobby for electoral reform towards instant run off voting! so much smarter.

Said lobbies (and sentiments) exist, but it's a horribly uphill battle.

Having said that (and in addition to my previous post), the two major parties we have actually have caucuses that are almost parties themselves. The Republicans basically have the old establishment R's, neoconservatives, neoliberals, moderates, the Tea party, and Ron Paul.

The Democratic party has a liberal caucus, black caucus, Blue Dogs, and so on.

I'm with ya though.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
Romney/Rice is a winning ticket.

Obama is weak on all fronts, and if unemployment doesn't get below 8% before November there is no chance.  Lol about getting the senate and house in order he had the majority in both at the beginning of his presidency! He was too much of a bipartisan pussy to do anything. Gitmo is still going, his healthcare plan didn't work out, his foreign policy is a joke.  Let's face it, he likes to hang out with celebrities and play golf more than anything. America has this fantasy that it wants a Democrat in the Whitehouse every few elections, when really it is Republican country.  Obama is going to have even more of a problem in October when Israel strikes Iran.  It will really test his strength.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
^
That's some fine trollin' son. Even had to gnar ya.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
538 has Obama winning the electoral college 303/234 and has a 73.3 % chance of winning. People tend to forget that although the popular vote is important, in the US it isn't the be all end all of the election.

apad88

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
I believe Obama has done some good his first four years in office, the mans only human, it makes me laugh when uneducated rednecks try to argue that it's his fault that this country is where its at, its the 8 years that that moron Bush was in office that dug us into a hole full of debt and problems ,Obama is just trying to clean up the shit storm he left.

HairyCunt

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
I believe Obama has done some good his first four years in office, the mans only human, it makes me laugh when uneducated rednecks try to argue that it's his fault that this country is where its at, its the 8 years that that moron Bush was in office that dug us into a hole full of debt and problems ,Obama is just trying to clean up the shit storm he left.

It makes me laugh when uneducated rednecks call Bush a moron.
I bet you love the Daily Show, and think Colbert is a genius.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »

Obama is weak on all fronts, and if unemployment doesn't get below 8% before November there is no chance.  Lol about getting the senate and house in order he had the majority in both at the beginning of his presidency! He was too much of a bipartisan pussy to do anything. Gitmo is still going, his healthcare plan didn't work out, his foreign policy is a joke.  Let's face it, he likes to hang out with celebrities and play golf more than anything. America has this fantasy that it wants a Democrat in the Whitehouse every few elections, when really it is Republican country.  Obama is going to have even more of a problem in October when Israel strikes Iran.  It will really test his strength.

holy shit, those campaign ad's really work. all this time i thought that nobody was stupid enough to fall for that crap.

Gitmo is still going
- fair enough

his healthcare plan didn't work out
- you mean the landmark piece of legislation that he was able to pass, that no other president has been able too, which survived the supreme court review?

his foreign policy is a joke
- iraq done, osama done, gaddafi done... he's no bush, but mainly because he gets shit done.

Obama is going to have even more of a problem in October when Israel strikes Iran.  It will really test his strength.
- it'd be awesome if we had a republican who has israel's nuts in his mouth in office. that'd make me feel so much better about the situation. obama is the first president to stand up to our blind alignment with israel and call it into question.

Radgasm

• Rep: -6
  • Slap Stock FTW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »

It makes me laugh when uneducated rednecks call Bush a moron.
I bet you love the Daily Show, and think Colbert is a genius.

You sir are the wrong kind of weird.

HairyCunt

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

holy shit, those campaign ad's really work. all this time i thought that nobody was stupid enough to fall for that crap.

Gitmo is still going
- fair enough

- you mean the landmark piece of legislation that he was able to pass, that no other president has been able too, which survived the supreme court review?

- iraq done, osama done, gaddafi done... he's no bush, but mainly because he gets shit done.

Obama is going to have even more of a problem in October when Israel strikes Iran.  It will really test his strength.
- it'd be awesome if we had a republican who has israel's nuts in his mouth in office. that'd make me feel so much better about the situation. obama is the first president to stand up to our blind alignment with israel and call it into question.

His healthcare plan is ridiculous - If the only thing about it you can celebrate is that he got it to pass I think there is something wrong. When he had the unheard of majority in the senate and house he could have put something through that was more radical - He didn't though. We are left with something far from Universal healthcare, not that we want that anyway. 

Osama was lucky, who wouldn't have given the order to kill him? He also has increased drone strikes in Pakistan 10 fold - contradictory to his policy. That goes for Yemen too. Afghanistan is even worse now. Gaddafi? Please he had to be begged by the French to take part, and his inaction over Syria is disgusting.  Iraq is hardly done, he just pulled out the troops, hardly a testament to his will.

Israel is our only reliable ally in an area that is a hornets nest, if you can't see how vital their role is in the region, god help you.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Gitmo is still going
- fair enough

[close]

His healthcare plan is ridiculous - If the only thing about it you can celebrate is that he got it to pass I think there is something wrong. When he had the unheard of majority in the senate and house he could have put something through that was more radical - He didn't though. We are left with something far from Universal healthcare, not that we want that anyway. 

Osama was lucky, who wouldn't have given the order to kill him? He also has increased drone strikes in Pakistan 10 fold - contradictory to his policy. That goes for Yemen too. Afghanistan is even worse now. Gaddafi? Please he had to be begged by the French to take part, and his inaction over Syria is disgusting.  Iraq is hardly done, he just pulled out the troops, hardly a testament to his will.

Israel is our only reliable ally in an area that is a hornets nest, if you can't see how vital their role is in the region, god help you.

His healthcare plan is something that before he was in office was considered a fair compromise between Repubs and Dems because it was a more democratic and capitalist policy than single payer (universal) health care. Which yeah, who wants their citizens to be able to be healthy and raise healthy families increasing their ability to contribute to society? Fuck that.  ::)

You complain about increasing drone strikes and Afghanistan yet bitch that he hasn't done enough about Syria? About time we didn't initiate or contribute to a revolt. I like that he went "Nope" hands off of that. It shows that he realizes their revolt is not a priority or threat to American society. Except maybe gas prices because of the turmoil.

Israel may be one of our only allies in the Middle East, but they have been stirring the pot and poking at other countries for way too long now. They bully Palestinians and haven't done enough to promote peace talks with Iran. Two unstable countries are looking to bomb each other for being volatile towards the other. It'd be smart to keep out of a potential Israel/Iran conflict.

holden caulfield

• Rep: -33
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
are there any modern democracies with more than two viable parties (parties that get real power)? i really think that it's a simple matter of logistics that causes it to organize in that way.

Britain, Canada, and Australia? There are probably more but those are three obvious examples. Granted the former 2 still use the FPTP system but Australia uses IRV to elect the house of reps.

FPTP is pretty anti-democratic if you ask me because it discourages participation from third and independent candidates, which are actually condemned by the major party they are most aligned with because of the spoiler effect, in which they are just seen as stealing votes, like what happened in your country in Florida with Nader essentially robbing Gore of the win.

I think the main argument against IRV is that it creates instability through more coalition governments that are an inevitable side effect of the system, but if you ask me, it's worth it because at least you have a government that actually represents the electorate (at least to a greater extent).

Just sayin, the reason you guys don't have a third viable choice is because of FPTP. It creates an environment in which voting for a third candidate is suicidal.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
My current attempt at a stance:

Social and environmental issues I'm bluer than blue.

Obama's George Bush Jr. Foreign Policy sucks dick so far.  He's also a fucking liar too, but everyone is.

I have a hard time picking sides economically.  I don't like the idea of cutting funds for education and social programs while leaving defense spending untouched.  When an articulate conservative talks economics I can't deny that they make a lot of sense.  I have yet to be convinced by unsustainable socialistic-capitalism or cut-throat free-market capitalism.  Republicans don't seem to want to balance the budget though.  It seems like that's all talk.  PBS and Inside Job has programmed my brain to think that it was underegulated capitalism that caused the financial crisis.  I'm trying to understand economics...reading some shit.  I just bought this book:

Romney is one unlikeable, elitist, dumb dude.  He'll either be more of the same concerning foreign policy or much worse.  I tend to think both presidents will probably perform the same economically.  I wish he were a less crazy version of Ron Paul to make my decision hard.

It doesn't really matter who I vote for (Obama probably), the congressional and senate races are a lot more important in Illinois.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:52:16 PM by chockfullofthat »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
My current attempt at a stance:

Social and environmental issues I'm bluer than blue.

Obama's George Bush Jr. Foreign Policy sucks dick so far.  He's also a fucking liar too, but everyone is.

I have a hard time picking sides economically.  I don't like the idea of cutting funds for education and social programs while leaving defense spending untouched.  When an articulate conservative talks economics I can't deny that they make a lot of sense.  I have yet to be convinced by unsustainable socialistic-capitalism or cut-throat free-market capitalism.  Republicans don't seem to want to balance the budget though.  It seems like that's all talk.  PBS and Inside Job has programmed my brain to think that it was underegulated capitalism that caused the financial crisis.  I'm trying to understand economics...reading some shit.

Romney is one unlikeable, elitist, dumb dude.  He'll either be more of the same concerning foreign policy or much worse.  I tend to think both presidents will probably perform the same economically.  I wish he were a less crazy version of Ron Paul to make my decision hard.

It doesn't really matter who I vote for (Obama probably), the congressional and senate races are a lot more important in Illinois.

Not that I'm an expert on the issue(which I believe is part of the problem, it's so complicated that few people are) but Michael Lewis' financial books/articles are a good place to start. Liar's Poker, Big Short, etc.