Author Topic: CA Camping Trip  (Read 1547 times)

chipmooney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
CA Camping Trip
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
in october ill be heading out on my own to see the sights of california. mainly the national parks and such.
any must see's and must do's?
already going to stop by big sur, yosemite, joshua tree, big bear lake, possibly lake tahoe, and might dip down to san diego and up to san francisco.

anyone interested in coming along for any part of it? i have a spare seat in the van, and would enjoy some company for parts.
car hire + petrol is on me.

steve

• Rep: 45
Re: CA Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
I don't know a goddamn thing about southern California, but you're leaving out some beautiful redwood country up North. humboldt county is filled with gems, small camp grounds that don't cost much to stay in. Avenue of the Giants runs through Richardson Grove out near Garberville, it's a treat. I think it would be a good idea to take a drive along the Lost Coast, Ferndale, Mattole Road. 

chipmooney

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
thing is, ive got 31 days, and i'd like to keep it to a small amount of stops so im not spending most of my time in the car.
i'll throw those in the map and see what it gives me.
i'm most keen on yosemite. anyone know of good spots through there? im going in with no idea of the place, i've lived in australia my whole life.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
You  should check out the central coast too. The Monterey area is pretty much surrounded by state parks and has some awesome campsites.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »
nothing against Big Bear Lake but i would say that is highly skippable.  lot of other more spectacular CA sites.  Sequoia National Park is another contender.  Big Sur is amazing.  Redwood National Park is all the way North in California, but worth driving to.  you could start out there.  fucking amazing campgrounds there too, right on the beach

if you want more research ideas, i recently read this article on top 10 campsites that really caught my interest.  haven't been to 1 of them and they all sound amazing

http://www.gorp.com/camping-guide/travel-ta-camping-los-angeles-sidwcmdev_063684.html

other than Big Bear i would say all the locations in your list are must-dos

also, you should travel along Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) North to South, South North etc..   it's slower but it's a spectacular drive.  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:40:15 AM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
i'm most keen on yosemite. anyone know of good spots through there? im going in with no idea of the place, i've lived in australia my whole life.

Yosemite sucks. I mean, it's not that it TOTALLY sucks, but I expected a lot more (I came from Europe). Anyways, I would recommend you reaching it from Mariposa CA and then going all the way to Lee Vining or something, passing through the Tioga Pass, I did it on a sunny day and it was one of the most beautiful scenery there in Cali parkswise. I know it's not tecnically in CA but considering you're travelling from AUS, you'd better check out the Death Valley!
This are just my two cents, hope you enjoy your trip
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:56:33 AM »
California has many places for visiting, touring and containing natural beauty related to forest and city.

Poems and shit.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.