Author Topic: attn NYC heads: skate shop questions  (Read 2367 times)

bandini

attn NYC heads: skate shop questions
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »
So, apparently there were a couple that have closed down from what I hear... I've just been looking for a standard shop that can meet all my needs - decent shoe selection, boards, gear, etc. - that isn't all the way downtown. Is Supreme pretty much my only choice for a 1-stop shop? Am I missing any others? Is there really nothing uptown that's worth a fuck?

thanks for any help, guys -
(Incidentally, I was really surprised after all the hype I'd heard about Dave's Quality Meats to find a tiny little store with only 3 shoe brands (Vans, Nike &... DVS???...)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:51:03 PM by bandini »

Brooklyn Zoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
Re: attn NYC heads: where the heck is the good skate shop?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
KCDC had to move to a new location and renovate so it was only temporarily closed, it will be on North 3rd street now in Williamsburg and should be open very soon
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

dethcomic

• Rep: 5
  • dead ass
Re: attn NYC heads: skate shop questions
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
dqm is cool man.
[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcztw7MqdI1rbv6tio1_400.gif[IMG]

Brooklyn Zoo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
Kcdc is open in its new location today
I cannot convey the hate clearly enough.
Walk that bag over to Bed Stuy so you can get your head bounced off the curb while your rolling purse gets set on fire.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
Homage at Bergen and Smith in BK is alright.
New shop Labor at 46 Canal in the city. Haven't been there yet but heard the staff is cool.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

china white

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Labour. New shop on canal street. Very friendly and is actually a skateboard shop.

bandini

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
Awesome - thanks for the heads up, guys. I'll check out Labour.

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Supreme.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
Im not from new york but I was there this summer. I'd go with Labor on canal like people mentioned for hardgoods, theyve got a good board selection and the dude who worked there was super friendly unlike every other motherfucker who works in a shop in new york. Labor has Polar and Magenta and Hopps etc. too. For shoes, I'd go to DQM. Dqm staff was alright I guess...

If youre looking for bad service and a weird feeling of not feeling welcomed when you're spending money in their store, go to supreme. They do have a decent board and shoe selection though, and ironically they do have the best prices.

HairyCunt

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »
Im not from new york but I was there this summer. I'd go with Labor on canal like people mentioned for hardgoods, theyve got a good board selection and the dude who worked there was super friendly unlike every other motherfucker who works in a shop in new york. Labor has Polar and Magenta and Hopps etc. too. For shoes, I'd go to DQM. Dqm staff was alright I guess...

If youre looking for bad service and a weird feeling of not feeling welcomed when you're spending money in their store, go to supreme. They do have a decent board and shoe selection though, and ironically they do have the best prices.

I love these kooks that want good service and a welcoming environment. Zumiez trains their employees to greet a customer within 5 seconds of entering their store. You should shop there.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love these kooks that want good service and a welcoming environment. Zumiez trains their employees to greet a customer within 5 seconds of entering their store. You should shop there.

Im not saying I want some guy with a backslick greeting me at the fucking door. But its like this one day when we went into supreme to get decks. One of the decks was too far up to reach so we asked the dude about a ladder.

Without saying anything, he just rolled his eyes like we were idiots for not being able to fly up there or something. Then he just went into the back and got one, put it in the middle of the store then left without saying shit again.

I understand that it might be annoying with all those hypebeasts coming in asking for box logo hoodies and stickers, I'd get bummed out too. But for a "skateshop" to help an actual skateboarder getting a deck shouldn't be that fucking difficult.

bandini

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
"I understand that it might be annoying with all those hypebeasts coming in asking for box logo hoodies and stickers, I'd get bummed out too."

Shoot, I'd be stoked that the shop was making money & therefore able to support the skaters.

I don't bother with shops that are too stupid to just be friendly. Trying to maintain that whole dumbass "locals only" vibe pretty much says to me that your shop's space will be taken over by a pet salon inside of 6 months... no way is anyone going to stay in business in this climate if they can't treat people well.

I have noticed so far that NYC is really big on the big corporate shoe brands - Nike, Adidas, Vans - which must explain why people keep recommending DQM to me. Unfortunately, I don't buy any of those brands, but around here I'm starting to feel a little like the guy who's still trying to buy a rotary phone.:)

HairyCunt

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
"I understand that it might be annoying with all those hypebeasts coming in asking for box logo hoodies and stickers, I'd get bummed out too."

Shoot, I'd be stoked that the shop was making money & therefore able to support the skaters.

I don't bother with shops that are too stupid to just be friendly. Trying to maintain that whole dumbass "locals only" vibe pretty much says to me that your shop's space will be taken over by a pet salon inside of 6 months... no way is anyone going to stay in business in this climate if they can't treat people well.

I have noticed so far that NYC is really big on the big corporate shoe brands - Nike, Adidas, Vans - which must explain why people keep recommending DQM to me. Unfortunately, I don't buy any of those brands, but around here I'm starting to feel a little like the guy who's still trying to buy a rotary phone.:)

kook

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

I agree with you for sure, but have you been to the shop? The mirror in there is seriously crowded sometimes because people are standing in front of it trying on hats. Its just weird when you can tell that they have nothing to do with skateboarding... Maybe the people there get kinda bummed out on that too.

Also, you should check out KCDC in williamsburg, just cruise over the bridge real quick. When I was in NY, they were in some surfshops basement but apparently they reopened their regular shop again. They had smaller brand decks and shoes from cons and HUF among others too.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

kook
STAY OFF THE SURFBOARD BANGEMALEM FREE MAX B
FREE MAX B

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
YOU AINT WAVEY CUZ
FREE MAX B

bandini

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
I agree with you for sure, but have you been to the shop? The mirror in there is seriously crowded sometimes because people are standing in front of it trying on hats. Its just weird when you can tell that they have nothing to do with skateboarding... Maybe the people there get kinda bummed out on that too.

I'm old enough to fondly remember shops that only catered to skaters but it kinda seems like that's history, given the economy. And I agree it can suck a bit, but generally I'm not too bothered by non-skaters in skate shops. They often kinda crack me up, actually. And every good shop owner should be glad to take their money & use it to sponsor demos & support the skate community & shit. In my dream world, anyway.

bandini

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
Oh, back to shops: travel was a little fucked today because of the parade, & the ollie hole on my current shoes was down to my skin, so I ducked into Blades on 72nd. The massive presence of blader shit was more than a little disturbing, but they actually had an okay shoe selection, decent deck selection, & the employees were reasonably friendly.

Thanks for the heads up on KCDC -

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:32 AM »
Oh yea, blades has decent product, it sounds like the staff is better at the west store than the one downtown though.

I sound like a little bitch crying about customer service all the time, but come the fuck on, its their job. Like when you want to pay for your shit and the guy just turns around without saying anything, scans it, says how much it is, then right after you paid he just turns around again and starts talking to his coworker about the weekend or some shit. Not even offering you a bag.

So the next time im in NYC, im giving my money to Labor and KCDC. Real skateshops who doesn't make you dread coming there to spend money.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:47:58 AM by Deekay »

trannies and mannies

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
Checked out Labor today, real cool shop. Small but had good board selection and the guy working there was nice.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:26:56 PM by trannies and mannies »