Author Topic: BUGS!  (Read 5652 times)

Iceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
Re: BUGS!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
Expand Quote
I've seen a rise in people campaigning for eating grasshoppers and mealworms as a source of protein, as they're way more echo friendly than traditional livestock. I've tried a mealworm before and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't even close to being good. And you've got to eat like a thousand of them to get any real amount of protein. I definitely don't back eating bugs.
[close]

If it were to become a common thing, which it never will because people have avoided eating bugs for centuries without anyone telling them to, I'd imagine it would go to market as something like a flour.

but on a serious note, aren't insects on the menu in some asian countries? i could go for a curry cockroach right about now.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »
When I was younger I ate some live termites, while on a tour of the jungle in Belize.

For whatever reason, they tasted really strongly of mint. It was wild.

I found this article about what insects are eaten in other regions, while I was trying to find out about the mint thing.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45048564/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/insects-you-wont-believe-are-edible/#.V5k3RX-9KSM
It says termites taste like carrots though, which wasn't my experience

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I've seen a rise in people campaigning for eating grasshoppers and mealworms as a source of protein, as they're way more echo friendly than traditional livestock. I've tried a mealworm before and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't even close to being good. And you've got to eat like a thousand of them to get any real amount of protein. I definitely don't back eating bugs.
[close]

If it were to become a common thing, which it never will because people have avoided eating bugs for centuries without anyone telling them to, I'd imagine it would go to market as something like a flour.

You're right. There's a professor at the university I work at who's like a huge advocate for eating bugs and I read something she wrote talking about how cricket flower is like the next big health craze.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Bugs ain't shit... except for scabies and those sonsabitches with stingers. Fuck bees/wasps/hornets
[close]

We need those to, you know, live...

This is true, and I do love me some good honey. They scare the shit outta me though. Also, now that I think of it, so do the greenheads back in the northeast. Those motherfuckers would swarm like crazy at dusk

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 02:41:27 AM »
Fuck bugs. They're part of the reason we invented houses and sealed windows. Double fuck flying bugs. I know it'll have devastating effects on the entire planet, but I'm fine with killing all the bugs and having a pleasant bug-free four years before we all die.

throw mosquitoes, flies and wasps in there and im down. i have actually thought about this several times, that if i ever became the true ruler on earth, first thing i would do would be to get rid of these insects. like, order airplanes to spray over the whole earth at the same time so that i have guaranteed results
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

shit_for_brains

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Fuck bugs. They're part of the reason we invented houses and sealed windows. Double fuck flying bugs. I know it'll have devastating effects on the entire planet, but I'm fine with killing all the bugs and having a pleasant bug-free four years before we all die.
[close]

throw mosquitoes, flies and wasps in there and im down. i have actually thought about this several times, that if i ever became the true ruler on earth, first thing i would do would be to get rid of these insects. like, order airplanes to spray over the whole earth at the same time so that i have guaranteed results

I would do that and start draining the oceans because there's all kinds of freaky shit in there.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
isn't the "natural flavors" ingredient in stuff actually bugs?...but food companies don't think people would be psyched on having that listed as an ingredient.
hardly art, hardly starving

shit_for_brains

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
isn't the "natural flavors" ingredient in stuff actually bugs?...but food companies don't think people would be psyched on having that listed as an ingredient.

It's including but not limited to. Natural flavors is an umbrella term for anything naturally occurring, like horse juice or how beaver assholes taste like vanilla. Carmine, which is used in a whole shitload of red dyes, comes from an acid produced in the body of Cochineals, which are small insects. They dry them out or extract the acid through chemicals, grind them up, and put them in your food and clothing.

Bonefish

• Rep: 4

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »
Aren't Shrimp and lobster considered the roaches of the ocean ...them shits delicious

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Scared to death of big tree roaches.  Such an irrational fear, but I can't stand them at all.
[close]

Are those the same as Palmetto Bugs? I live in Florida so they're always lurking in the shadows. One got in my house once and I thought it was a fucking bat at first. I crushed it and it was like cleaning up a smashed human.

Yes, and fuck that shit.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Scared to death of big tree roaches.  Such an irrational fear, but I can't stand them at all.
[close]

Are those the same as Palmetto Bugs? I live in Florida so they're always lurking in the shadows. One got in my house once and I thought it was a fucking bat at first. I crushed it and it was like cleaning up a smashed human.
[close]

Yes, and fuck that shit.

I used to live in Arkansas and am familiar with palmetto bugs. They scare me to death and I sincerely hope I never come across one again.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, and fuck that shit.
[close]

I used to live in Arkansas and am familiar with palmetto bugs. They scare me to death and I sincerely hope I never come across one again.
but they're so cute.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would do that and start draining the oceans because there's all kinds of freaky shit in there.

fuck it, might as well go all the way SP style. Lobsters look like big prawns and prawns look like big insects so your intentions are fully justified
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Eric ricks

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2016, 05:02:25 AM »
Insects in general dont bother me.

Two insects that can be asshole however are hornets and spruce bugs/pine beetles. Those fuckers bite insanely hard.