Author Topic: Grand Cayman Island  (Read 823 times)

Pillowphile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Grand Cayman Island
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
Going to Grand Cayman in december to skate Black Pearl. Anyone have suggestions about where to go, cheap things to do there, how to not skate myself dead in two days, etc??

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Grand Cayman Island
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
I looked into moving there to do a scuba course/skate black pearl all day dreamlife type thing. The island is set up exclusively for big money rustlas, they do not cater to the backpack crowd whatsoever.besides eating at local soda's and cafe's, ur SOL.also black rock looks a little fucked up from weathering.plus it changed owners within the past 5 years and there may be times when u aren't allowed to skate.also skating in the middle of the day is a bad idea because of the heat.go scuba diving at some of the worlds best dive sites, stay away from resorts as much as possible and it'll be amazing.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:48:03 AM »
Going on a small family vaca soon. All day beach/pool isnt exactly my speed. Id definitely have time to slip away for at least a couple sessions at black pearl or some such, we’re staying at a west coast resort.

Anybody skated here before that can advise if its worth the novelty of packing a board and having a session? Not a lot of info outside of the recent tyshawn vid

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 10:00:57 AM »
My mom works on grand cayman a bunch but says the park doesn’t seem open half the time cause I’ve thought about visiting with my buddy when she’s on island to check it out. I’ll ask her if there’s anything else skateable but if it’s anything like other Caribbean islands outside of that skatepark spots are typically minimal at best and super crusty.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 09:49:49 PM »
I had a great time skating there solo like ~4 years ago.

The Black Pearl was open back then, but it was already pretty crusty. It was built in the skatepark dark ages for sure -- incredible pool section built for Grant Taylor level skaters and almost nobody else. Very very confusing and hard to skate street section.

I would recommend pushing around Georgetown for a few hours. I found this building "Portfolio of Internal and External Affairs" https://maps.app.goo.gl/cJtgpniAozgzHVbE6  and skated it for like 30 mins, no bust even though it was right next to the main police station 🤣 nothing crazy, Just some steep angled concrete for wallies and stuff, but an example of what you might find. Some of the construction there is pretty wonky and I definitely spotted some cool stuff that would be fun to play around on. Ultimately, for curb and two stair stuff, I definitely found it worth bringing the board along. Happy hunting!

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 06:27:22 AM »
Somewhere in the multiverse, a version of me moved to Georgetown in september of 2019. What if...

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 10:00:12 AM »
Update - do not bring a skateboard to Cayman if you dont want to pay more than its worth to bring back