Author Topic: NBA Thread  (Read 367355 times)

foureyedjim

Re: NBA 2012-13
« Reply #960 on: June 21, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
hahaha that title man
gif:

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #961 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Alot of people say Spurs are too old , yet their favorit teams didnt make it to game 7 in the finals . As close as some of the finals games were I wouldnt say age had much stock in it , Spurs were so close

So when is this trade draft thingy coming up ? Spurs should have some money free , I wonder whats gonna go down or if they kinda wanna keep the same team going , its such a tight good team now . best team and heart in the NBA

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #962 on: June 22, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
hahaha that title man
gif:

bosh is one funny dude.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »
Fuckin' Turd-Man
This isn't right.  Not right at all.

Will Easley

« Reply #965 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
Clippers to get Doc Rivers pending league-approval sometime this week. His son Austin Rivers (currently playing for the hornets Pelicans) tweeted "Let the West coast battles begin dad!" if yall were looking for some kind of confirmation.

Report: Clippers land Rivers as coach

Posted Jun 23, 2013 9:06 PM - Updated Jun 23, 2013 11:01 PM
BOSTON (AP) -- Doc Rivers will be the next coach of the Los Angeles Clippers if the NBA approves the rare but not unprecedented trade of an active coach, a Boston Celtics official told The Associated Press on Sunday night.

The deal would bring Boston a first-round draft pick in 2015, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because it is pending a trade call with the NBA office. Rivers, who had three years and $21 million left on his contract with the Celtics, must also reach an agreement on a new deal with the Clippers.
Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said the team had no announcement.
The tentative agreement on Sunday wraps up weeks of haggling over the deal and frees Rivers from presiding over the dismantling of the team that won the franchise's record 17th NBA title in 2008.
The Celtics and Clippers have also discussed sending Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles in a package with Rivers for draft choices, center DeAndre Jordan and point guard Eric Bledsoe. But NBA commissioner David Stern nixed those talks this week, saying teams aren't allowed to trade active players for a coach.
A deal for Garnett could still happen, but the teams would have to convince the league that it was a separate deal. The 37-year-old big man has a no-trade clause in the contract that will pay him 23.5 million over the next two years, but it is believed he would waive it to be reunited with Rivers on the West Coast. He has also discussed retiring.
Boston could also cut ties with Paul Pierce, the longest-tenured member of the team, who is due to earn $15.3 million next season; he could be bought out for $5 million. Pierce will be 36 by the 2013-14 opener and showed signs of slowing down this season, when he averaged the fewest minutes per game in his career.
Rivers took over the Celtics in 2004 in the midst of the longest title drought in franchise history and - with thanks to the "Big Three" of Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen - guided them to the 2008 NBA title. They returned to the NBA Finals two years later, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in seven games.
But the Celtics have regressed steadily since then, twice failing to get past the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference playoffs. This year they finished third in the Atlantic Division - they had won it five straight times - and lost to the New York Knicks in the first round.
That convinced many that it was time to rebuild - a process Rivers was reluctant to supervise. If the Celtics unload Garnett and Pierce, that would leave them with point guard Rajon Rondo as their only established star.
Rivers had the second-longest tenure of any NBA coach to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich, compiling a 416-305 record in Boston that was the third-most wins in franchise history behind Red Auerbach (795) and Tommy Heinsohn (427). He also spent four-plus seasons with the Orlando Magic and is 587-473 in all.
Trades for coaches have occurred about a half-dozen times in NBA history, most recently in 2007 when the Heat received compensation for allowing Stan Van Gundy to go to the Orlando Magic.
In 1983, the Chicago Bulls sent a second-round draft pick to Atlanta as compensation for coach Kevin Loughery. The Hawks used that pick to take Glenn "Doc" Rivers.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »

So when is this trade draft thingy coming up ? Spurs should have some money free , I wonder whats gonna go down or if they kinda wanna keep the same team going , its such a tight good team now . best team and heart in the NBA

So European.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #967 on: June 24, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
They've been talking about sending Rivers to LA for weeks, originally packaged with KG and a wink-wink Paul Pierce buyout deal. It can't happen because they aren't allowed to trade a coach with a player in a single deal. The league will probably block any attempt to trade KG after the fact because they'll see it as connected. They'll get Doc, and as a Celtics fan, I'm stoked for him. He did a lot for the C's and I hope he does well out in LA.

Hopefully we can rebuild and have some sort of a team going by 2015.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #968 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So European.

as a life long spurs fan, this was probably pretty much it on their legendary run. ginobili is done, even if he doesn't retire, the dude is straight washed-up. they'll be good next year, shit they might make another run. they'll be contenders until duncan retires, and definitely in the mix if they retain pop, parker, and leonard.

spurs alwasy draft well, but their picks, unlike leonard, are usually investments. parker took a minute to shine, and playrs like de colo and tiago have a lot of learning left. also, i'm pretty dummed on tiago right now.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #969 on: June 24, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
This draft is pretty weak though...

More so waiting for the off season trades to start. Ready for The Dwight episode to end. A part of me wants him to play here (the rockets) and the other doesn't. Maybe he can thrive under McHale. Maybe he can't. Fuck man if we could get the 08-10 Dwight. I sort of hope they pick up josh smith and maybe another piece in 2014. Id rather them let Thomas Robison play more minutes instead of piecing him off which ultimately is going to happen. I check the clutchfans forum religiously. It's funny how many dudes on there think the cp3/Dwight show is coming here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:55:07 PM by whitemanjazz »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #970 on: June 25, 2013, 02:43:30 AM »
I sincerely doubt that CP3 and Dwight will be playing together next year, but the idea does provide desperate fans with something to pontificate over until next year.

It kinda looks like this will be a pretty boring off-season. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Western conference looks like next season though with the Lakers and Mavs still rebuilding.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: June 25, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »
Do I think it's going to happen? No, but doesn't mean it can't. Morey is going to unload Lin and Trobs contracts to free up cap space. And I think Houston is far from a desperate franchise. In this case that's Atlanta. Having harden provides us with a ton of leeway.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:03:02 AM by whitemanjazz »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #972 on: June 25, 2013, 04:05:19 AM »
how exactly will he 'unload' Lin?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #973 on: June 25, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
Sign and trade that's how. And letting Aaron brooks and Francisco Garcia walk.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #974 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »
sign and trade with who and for what?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #975 on: June 25, 2013, 04:19:40 AM »
They were trying to package Thomas Robison and Lin for Dwight, but la isn't going to take that. Use google I don't feel like copy and pasting from an iPhone. Either way I don't think Lin will play here next season.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #976 on: June 25, 2013, 06:05:44 AM »
Lin is a terrible contract you're acting like a lakers fan thinking you can just sign and trade that away for nothing.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »
A lakers fan that makes a ton of sense you're such a basketball genius.

There's terrible contracts all over the league, obviously Lin being one. You think they gave him all that money for his basketball playing? He brings a Chinese demographic a la Yao Ming. And I'm not thinking shit I'm not the GM of the rockets. These are hear'say trade rumors

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: June 25, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

There's terrible contracts all over the league, obviously Lin being one. You think they gave him all that money for his basketball playing? He brings a Chinese demographic a la Yao Ming. And I'm not thinking shit I'm not the GM of the rockets. These are hear'say trade rumors

Houston is full of Vietnamese, not Chinese.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: June 25, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
And? There's still a big Chinese fan base here, but I'm saying he's huge in general. Walking marketing machine.

Guys like Cory maggette, Ben Gordon, joe Johnson, and Emeka okafor who arguably had contracts just as bad were moved, but Lin is impossible? Yeah ok

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #980 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
And? There's still a big Chinese fan base here, but I'm saying he's huge in general. Walking marketing machine.

Guys like Cory maggette, Ben Gordon, joe Johnson, and Emeka okafor who arguably had contracts just as bad were moved, but Lin is impossible? Yeah ok

Just saying, you called the demographic in Houston Chinese, when they are predominantly Vietnamese. How credible can you be when you can't get that fact correct?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: June 25, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
He brings a Chinese demographic a la Yao Ming.

You sure bud?

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #982 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
The Lin contract isn't as bad as it seems. He's more than worth the 5 million this year for marketing alone and doesn't have to play a minute however he could probably thrive in a system like d'antonis. The hard part is the 14-15 season when you have to pay him 15 but its an expiring contract which every team seems to look for at the trade deadline to make the numbers work.

If worst come to worst deal him Brooklyn. Prokorov is spending money like he wants to be the Russian Dr. Buss.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #983 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
That's the third year option which basically killed the Knicks from matching. He has value none the less. What Morey does with him who knows. Detroit could also be a factor, be it Rodney Stuckey or draft picks. Maybe even both. They could use the lin marketing desperately.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #984 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So European.

and proud !

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: June 25, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

Lin's marketing value is overrated. His jersey sales have dropped every month since he has joined Houston. Yao Ming was actually a great player, probably would have been one of the all time greats if it wasn't for injuries. Chinese people didn't go crazy for Yi Jianlian (who has the advantage of actually being Chinese, unlike Lin). You aren't just going to 'unload' Lin, you are going to get some trash back in return. That is all I'm saying.

Will Easley

« Reply #986 on: June 25, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lin's marketing value is overrated. His jersey sales have dropped every month since he has joined Houston. Yao Ming was actually a great player, probably would have been one of the all time greats if it wasn't for injuries. Chinese people didn't go crazy for Yi Jianlian (who has the advantage of actually being Chinese, unlike Lin). You aren't just going to 'unload' Lin, you are going to get some trash back in return. That is all I'm saying.

Seriously. He had a lil buzz after all the New York shit but dude is not the asian superstar alot of people try to make him out to be. yeah he has some marketability, but James Harden's beard probably sells more merchandise than Lin does.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #987 on: June 25, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
I see more Lin jerseys around here than Harden. Most likely because they're cheaper, but still. And I only compared Yao's demograph of fans not skill.

Yi's case is totally different from Lin. Lin had this underdog story which made for easy marketing. They had a Jeremy Lin inspired ice cream flavor ffs.

This all comes from a trade I heard. Doesn't mean it can or can't happen. That's all I'm saying.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #988 on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
Yes, and having more skill makes you more marketable. If Lin was still putting up Linsanity numbers he would be more marketable than he is currently. It would also help him if he was Chinese, which he isn't. I don't care how many Lin jerseys you see, his popular appeal is declining.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2653/jeremy-lins-marketability-on-the-decline

and this is actually what you said btw

Do I think it's going to happen? No, but doesn't mean it can't. Morey is going to unload Lin and Trobs contracts to free up cap space. And I think Houston is far from a desperate franchise. In this case that's Atlanta. Having harden provides us with a ton of leeway.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #989 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »
haha holy shit because I put IS it's totally going to happen. gotcha. Lets try 'WANTS'.

He's still Chinese American which means he's going to have some of that market no matter if he was born there or not jesus christ. I'm not going to read some bull shit link about his decline, that goes without saying since he left NY. But to say he isn't at all is asinine.