Author Topic: NBA Thread  (Read 367331 times)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NBA 2012-13
« Reply #990 on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »
that's what 'is'  denotes.

he may be ethnically Chinese, but his parents are Taiwanese immigrants. It's an important distinction.

And yes, lets go by how many Lin jerseys you see rather than an empirical study conducted by a sports marketing company.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #991 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
What do his parents have to do with his overall marketability? And the jersey statement was an observation. Didn't base any argument on that. You're trying to condescend. The fact they wrote an article on the decline of his marketability I mean..

I still think he will be traded irregardless.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #992 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
I think Lin's value is mainly as a player now. His numbers for last season weren't actually that bad and he obviously has some room for improvement. There's no way he's going to recapture "Lin-sanity" levels of popularity unless he starts playing at that level again (very unlikely) and I think his appeal is pretty limited aside from the race angle. To be clear though, the Rockets didn't sign him to satisfy Chinese Americans in Houston, it was to appeal to actual Chinese people who live in China. Despite Houston's history with Yao I don't think he's going to continue to be worth his contract just on marketing value alone unless its on a highly visible, big-market team with lots of games on TV in Asia.

Do I think it's going to happen? No, but doesn't mean it can't. Morey is going to unload Lin and Trobs contracts to free up cap space. And I think Houston is far from a desperate franchise. In this case that's Atlanta. Having harden provides us with a ton of leeway.

Didn't mean to antagonize you, and yeah, I was speaking more about Atlanta when I said 'desperate'. I would actually like to see harden and Dwight play together.

GarglesCmen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • Hey, Nice Ass
« Reply #993 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
Either way, I'm sure Morey has something out of left field he is trying to pull this offseason with all these rumors flying around

HOUSTON, TEXAS!

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #994 on: June 26, 2013, 04:53:15 AM »
I think Lin's value is mainly as a player now. His numbers for last season weren't actually that bad and he obviously has some room for improvement. There's no way he's going to recapture "Lin-sanity" levels of popularity unless he starts playing at that level again (very unlikely) and I think his appeal is pretty limited aside from the race angle. To be clear though, the Rockets didn't sign him to satisfy Chinese Americans in Houston, it was to appeal to actual Chinese people who live in China. Despite Houston's history with Yao I don't think he's going to continue to be worth his contract just on marketing value alone unless its on a highly visible, big-market team with lots of games on TV in Asia.

Expand Quote
Do I think it's going to happen? No, but doesn't mean it can't. Morey is going to unload Lin and Trobs contracts to free up cap space. And I think Houston is far from a desperate franchise. In this case that's Atlanta. Having harden provides us with a ton of leeway.
[close]

Didn't mean to antagonize you, and yeah, I was speaking more about Atlanta when I said 'desperate'. I would actually like to see harden and Dwight play together.

Ha no hard feelings sports is always debatable. I'm not a fan of the guy or anything, but can't deny the marketing approach.

That was kind of my whole point all along. I'm sure Morey wanted to recapture the over seas fan base that Yao helped establish. I wouldn't be shocked if they're watching more rockets games over there than actual houstonians on account of the black outs a good portion of the city is dealing with. Needless to say he's movable especially to teams like Detroit who have cap.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #995 on: June 26, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
Not to step on toes here, but dude is not Chinese-American. He was born in America. He is American. His parents are nationals, but he doesn't hold citizenship anywhere else but the U.S.

And I can safely say I've never seen a Lin jersey since he left New York.

Edit - Actually none of that is relevant and is just continuing to the watering-down of this thread. Just ignore that bullshit I wrote above.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:00:22 AM by Donkey Lips »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »
china was jokingly(butnotreallyjoking) trying to get him to drop his american citizeship to join the chinese national team and even the president of china is a fan of the nba. Basketball is getting huge in china and asian players are definitely gonna be more marketable as time goes on even if the skills arent completely there.

I hope dwight goes to huston, parsons/howard/harden sounds like a trio worth rooting for.

Clippers with doc rivers is gonna be an interesting team to watch next season. They might be the best team in staples.

Im still bummed the spurs lost. So close. I still think defense won that series more than lebron (88-90 before the free throws even with lebrons 37 vs. Spurs with a much lower shooting average than usual/not shooting well off the perimeter? cmon lets get real) but whatever. i was really looking forward to danny green being the finals mvp.  

Next year's gonna be sick. Any of you guys in a rec league or anything?  

Will Easley

« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
china was jokingly(butnotreallyjoking) trying to get him to drop his american citizeship to join the chinese national team and even the president of china is a fan of the nba. Basketball is getting huge in china and asian players are definitely gonna be more marketable as time goes on even if the skills arent completely there.

I hope dwight goes to huston, parsons/howard/harden sounds like a trio worth rooting for.

Clippers with doc rivers is gonna be an interesting team to watch next season. They might be the best team in staples.

Im still bummed the spurs lost. So close. I still think defense won that series more than lebron (88-90 before the free throws even with lebrons 37 vs. Spurs with a much lower shooting average than usual/not shooting well off the perimeter? cmon lets get real) but whatever. i was really looking forward to danny green being the finals mvp.  

Next year's gonna be sick. Any of you guys in a rec league or anything?  

yeah even as a lakers fan it would make sense for Howard to go to houston. the offense fits him perfect & he has another young star beside him with harden. Mchale could definitely help his post game too. that being said he'd also be pretty lame for him to keep on with this Dwightmare drama. just pick a team & stay there! He wanted the "spotlight" in LA which he got in full effect but once that criticism comes along all of the sudden he aint about that life. I'd like to see him grow as a Laker & really start to live up to his potential there but shit man, make up your mind!

Clippers are no doubt the best team in LA as of right now. we'll have to see what roster moves the lakers pull off in the offseason, but Doc Rivers is probably my favorite coach & Ive always liked the clips roster so until the old-man Lakers can get some new blood the Clips definitely have them beat on paper.

kmdoom

• Rep: -18
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
Why has the NBA let the Celtics move Rivers to LA when it's in violation of the CBA? Almost as dumb as blocking CP3 to the Lakers awhile back, what was the purpose? To prevent a super team? The Heat just came back for seconds...

Regardless Boston is in rebuild mode and Paul Pierce is probably the only guy nailed down to the franchise

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
just so you know , calling out spurs winning it right here

remember it !

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1000 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
Why has the NBA let the Celtics move Rivers to LA when it's in violation of the CBA?
It's not a violation. It would be if he was packaged with a player trade as part of the deal. Coaches can be traded for picks and cash. It's totally allowed.

Regardless Boston is in rebuild mode and Paul Pierce is probably the only guy nailed down to the franchise
He isn't nailed to it at all. In fact he's gone on record by saying if the Celtics are rebuilding, he wants out. It's been pretty well known that the C's are looking to trade him for rights to a first round pick.

kmdoom

• Rep: -18
« Reply #1001 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Why has the NBA let the Celtics move Rivers to LA when it's in violation of the CBA?
[close]
It's not a violation. It would be if he was packaged with a player trade as part of the deal. Coaches can be traded for picks and cash. It's totally allowed.

Expand Quote
[close]
He isn't nailed to it at all. In fact he's gone on record by saying if the Celtics are rebuilding, he wants out. It's been pretty well known that the C's are looking to trade him for rights to a first round pick.

I got owned... haha

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1002 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
Garnett was the one with the no trade clause and he seemed receptive to that Clippers trade when it was being floated a week or two ago. Pierce is making like $15.4 million next year and his production is declining quickly, so it seems most likely that the Celtics will just try and get rid of as many of their big contracts as possible then stock up on some youth in preparation for next year's free agency period.

The Lakers are in a sort of similar situation but a bit worse because they seem to be wedded to their current roster for at least another year. I don't know exactly what they're going to look like next year but I doubt they'll be any good. If the Rockets do end up getting Dwight I could see them getting the 4 or 5 seed next year; probably would be a pretty fun team to watch too.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1003 on: June 26, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
slap fantasy league next season.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1004 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »

is that sam alien-head cassell in your avatar?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
Yerp. ET

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1006 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »
Anthony bennett? Wtf? Is noels knee that bad?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:43:41 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1007 on: June 27, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
Anthony bennett? Wtf? Is noels knee that bad?

Hope Cleveland knows what they are doing.

Will Easley

« Reply #1008 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
man I love offseason trades & acquisitions, keeps things interesting when there's no basketball to watch. Celtics send Paul Pierce , Jason Terry & Garnet to Brooklyn for Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, & multiple draft picks. Reports are saying that garnet will be waiving the current no-trade clause in his contract in order for the deal to work. wow!

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/06/27/celtics-trade-garnett-pierce-to-nets/index.html

Despite Garnett & Pierce's age I think their starting 5 is so sick. Let JJ & PP stretch the floor with williams dishing the ball between them & Garnet + Lopez down low. This team is definitely lacking depth, & who knows how long Garnet & Pierce will last, but if JASON KIDD can get them all to play cohesively they should at least be pretty fun to watch during the regular season. They definitely need some more bench players tho or else they're gonna run down the 2 celtics during the grind of the regular season & be left stranded with benchwarmers outside of their big 3 w/ Johnson, Williams, & Lopez.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:13:22 AM by Will Easley »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
Jesus Christ.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #1010 on: June 28, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »

Should I start this back up? The only reason I didn't run it back was lack of participation and a soul crushing threepeat on the horizon.

Don't feel great about the nets trade. I'm going to have to see it before I buy any stock from Brooklyn. Feels like the cons outweigh the pros.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Will Easley

« Reply #1011 on: June 28, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Should I start this back up? The only reason I didn't run it back was lack of participation and a soul crushing threepeat on the horizon.

Don't feel great about the nets trade. I'm going to have to see it before I buy any stock from Brooklyn. Feels like the cons outweigh the pros.

Yeah brooklyn definitely feels like a "hipster" team to me, but i dunno maybe thats why I kinda like em. Prokorhov just be buying players n shit lol. Depth, defense, & possibly coaching is gonna be their main concerns but like i said theyll definitely be interesting to watch throughout the season. They drafted a skilled athletic center in Mason Plumlee @ 7'1 too so hopefully he & Blatche can allow Garnett not to play heavy minutes. They definitely got potential ON PAPER. Plus they actually cut back on salary by unloading all those contracts, so it should be interesting to see how they do this year with Jason Kidd on the sidelines calling plays for Deron Williams & Kevin Garnet.

ALSO Dwight Howard is supposed to have his own "Decision" June 10th

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/06/28/report-dwight-howard-to-reveal-his-choice-july-10/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:14:54 PM by Will Easley »

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #1012 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
Shit went wild last night.

Expand Quote
[close]

The more fantasy ball the better
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1013 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Jason Kidd is being paid by the Knicks to fuck up the Nets, in NY's fear that the Nets will win over the hearts of NYer's and become "NY's Team"
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1014 on: June 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »
what the fuck, the sixers gm basically imploded the team by trading jrue holiday for noel, who wont even play til midway thru the season because of his acl.... FUCK. guess i gotta start rooting for brooklyn or something.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm down. My auto-draft drafted Corey Maggette and Marcin Gortat. This time ill participate.

What's that nets payroll looking like ?

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #1016 on: June 28, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
Well into the luxury. On pace to spend about a billion dollars this summer.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #1017 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
http://www.funnyordie.com/lists/22f12626f4/hilarious-gifs-of-nba-champion-chris-bosh?playlist=featured_pictures_and_words
Some of these actually made me laugh.  It's funnier than some of the memes because of the reactions.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1018 on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:55 AM »
i'm down for fantasy league, i will totally fail to back up any of the shit i talk in this thread and embarrass myself but that shit is fun

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1019 on: June 30, 2013, 06:45:38 AM »
Im down for a fantasy rematch. Made it to the semis last time, got to step my game up this time.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc