Author Topic: Arizona from the UK  (Read 1478 times)

thepman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
Arizona from the UK
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
Any pals from Arizona? Going there for 3 months in March. I'll be doing conservation work etc but will have a lot of time off, think i'm based in Flagstaff but i'll be moving around a bit. Just wondering about skate parks, skate spots, skate shops I should visit while i'm there? And if anyone is based in or around Flagstaff, is there anything interesting to do there? Hoping to also road trip to Los Angeles and Las Vegas possibly at some point as well.
Anyway, Thanks!!
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

ivegotlevitation

Re: Arizona from the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:26 PM »
If you end up in Phoenix hit me up!

Matthew Moon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
Flagstaff is a college town, I stop there a few times on my way to phoenix. I don't know much about it, but I know they have some good places to eat and I think the campus there has a few handrails.

nylin

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
Yeah the NAU campus in Flagstaff has some good shit to skate. But in 3 months Flagstaff will be pretty deep in winter and pretty snowed up. Phoenix on the other hand in 3 months is the best time to visit. Perfect whether with highs in the low 70's to high 60's. Phoenix has tons of good parks and spots to skate especially if you like to skate ditches. Also if your in Phoenix, check out Cowtown. Sickest shop

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Make sure that you skate a real pool.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »

I'll be sure to man!

Yeah the NAU campus in Flagstaff has some good shit to skate. But in 3 months Flagstaff will be pretty deep in winter and pretty snowed up. Phoenix on the other hand in 3 months is the best time to visit. Perfect whether with highs in the low 70's to high 60's. Phoenix has tons of good parks and spots to skate especially if you like to skate ditches. Also if your in Phoenix, check out Cowtown. Sickest shop

How far away is Phoenix from Flagstaff? Not too keen on being snowed in for 3 months
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll be sure to man!

Expand Quote
[close]

How far away is Phoenix from Flagstaff? Not too keen on being snowed in for 3 months

Phoenix is two hours south of Flagstaff.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »
Flagstaff has a concrete park and a pretty fun nightlife. There's also a some pretty fun outdoors stuff in the area--Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are close.

From memory Vegas and Phoenix are about the same distance. March is really nice in Phoenix abut April and May get pretty hot. May is pretty much full blown summer. But all the concrete parks in Phoenix have lights so it'll still be nice to skate at night. I grew up in Phoenix but don't live there now. When you're in the area I can give you some spot and park recommendations.

And whoever mentioned Cowtown is right--that's the Phoenix scene hub. Also I didn't google it but I imagine you'll be in AZ during the Phoenix AM.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »

It's actually more like 2.5 or 3 hours just depending on what part of Phoenix you're going to. The Phoenix metro is geographically huge.

Also you won't be snowed in. You'll be lucky to get a couple big snow storms that'll be melted and dry within the week. In flagstaff you'll get 18" of snow and the next day it'll be 60 degrees and sunny. I lived in Flag for a year and could easily skate on and off all winter long.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »
I'm in Phoenix/Tempe! Like Nydoggular said check out Cowtown!
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »
I'm in Phoenix/Tempe! Like Nydoggular said check out Cowtown!

I live in Scottsdale and don't know a single fucking person here. email me- [email protected]

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Flagstaff has a concrete park and a pretty fun nightlife. There's also a some pretty fun outdoors stuff in the area--Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are close.

From memory Vegas and Phoenix are about the same distance. March is really nice in Phoenix abut April and May get pretty hot. May is pretty much full blown summer. But all the concrete parks in Phoenix have lights so it'll still be nice to skate at night. I grew up in Phoenix but don't live there now. When you're in the area I can give you some spot and park recommendations.

And whoever mentioned Cowtown is right--that's the Phoenix scene hub. Also I didn't google it but I imagine you'll be in AZ during the Phoenix AM.

Thanks for all the info! I'll have a lot of days off so I guess I'll have to get to Phoenix for a few days every so often and hit all you guys up for a skate, hopefully do a trip to Vegas as well. Can't wait now, only ever been to NY and Florida and done the tourist stuff so be nice to live in a smaller American town for a while.

edit: Also thanks Prison Wallet for the heads up about the weather and the skatepark, it looks fun on photos and glad i'll be able to skate pretty often too.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
I hate to be that guy, but I've heard that the snowboarding around Flagstaff is super unique. If you're really gonna be snowed in like crazy, I'd deff try to pick up some used gear and check it out
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Will Easley

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
What's the overall impression of the skate scene in the Phoenix area? I may end up moving out of Illinois and living there soon so I'd like to know what it's like. It seems like theres a lot of concrete parks and a few well-known rippers come from there so I'd assume it'd be a big improvement over the current winter wonderland known as Peoria, IL.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
What's the overall impression of the skate scene in the Phoenix area? I may end up moving out of Illinois and living there soon so I'd like to know what it's like. It seems like theres a lot of concrete parks and a few well-known rippers come from there so I'd assume it'd be a big improvement over the current winter wonderland known as Peoria, IL.

Skateboarding is big out here. Very established. There's concrete parks everywhere, there's plenty of shops in the area, and there's plenty of stuff to skate that isn't a concrete park. It's a good place to be if you want to be able to walk out your door and have a spot to skate that's 5-10 minutes away, perhaps closer in some cases. Cost of living is cheap too. I live right next to downtown Scottsdale and I only pay about $700 a month for a good sized one bedroom apartment. The weather is pretty nice all year, except for in summer when it's 115 degrees outside. There's no humidity though, so you can just skate at night and you won't have a problem. I'm sure that's better than being snowed in in Illinois.

Will Easley

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skateboarding is big out here. Very established. There's concrete parks everywhere, there's plenty of shops in the area, and there's plenty of stuff to skate that isn't a concrete park. It's a good place to be if you want to be able to walk out your door and have a spot to skate that's 5-10 minutes away, perhaps closer in some cases. Cost of living is cheap too. I live right next to downtown Scottsdale and I only pay about $700 a month for a good sized one bedroom apartment. The weather is pretty nice all year, except for in summer when it's 115 degrees outside. There's no humidity though, so you can just skate at night and you won't have a problem. I'm sure that's better than being snowed in in Illinois.

yeah that sounds like a major improvement to where I live now. Peoria's a fairly large city but theres only one local shop, and a few basic metal parks in the area. Cost of living is more or less the same as well. It'd definitely be a transition period moving from my hometown all the way across the country with just my dad & his family there but once I get settled in it'd seem like a great place to live. My friends have had trips down there too and ive seen the footage yall definitely got fancier street spots, and alot less snow-fucked ground. I just might have to make that big move ina couple months. Life changing shit b.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah that sounds like a major improvement to where I live now. Peoria's a fairly large city but theres only one local shop, and a few basic metal parks in the area. Cost of living is more or less the same as well. It'd definitely be a transition period moving from my hometown all the way across the country with just my dad & his family there but once I get settled in it'd seem like a great place to live. My friends have had trips down there too and ive seen the footage yall definitely got fancier street spots, and alot less snow-fucked ground. I just might have to make that big move ina couple months. Life changing shit b.

It took me a while to get settled but now I'm really starting to enjoy living here. It's just a good place to be skateboarding in. I hope everything works out for you.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »

I'm from Aurora, IL and I moved out to Tempe, Az about three years ago. Everything everyone one is saying is true, the parks are awesome the weather is great beside the summer. I would say the summer here is about just as bad as the winters in Illinois, but you can skate at night (you'll sweat your ass off). Kids here get buck as fuck and lots of rippers. Everyone is pretty tight a lot of them I now consider good homies. Best decision I've ever made.
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

Will Easley

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm from Aurora, IL and I moved out to Tempe, Az about three years ago. Everything everyone one is saying is true, the parks are awesome the weather is great beside the summer. I would say the summer here is about just as bad as the winters in Illinois, but you can skate at night (you'll sweat your ass off). Kids here get buck as fuck and lots of rippers. Everyone is pretty tight a lot of them I now consider good homies. Best decision I've ever made.

Yeah that definitely sounds appealing. I've always said I'd rather sweat than freeze Anyday, and a I'm tired of scraping ice off my car. I've pretty much made up my mind as to moving there & I have the ability to start that transition whenever I want I just got a few personal goals i want to accomplish here in the Midwest before I make the jump. After my mom died in September I was dealing with all the same shit (getting ready to move, making preparations, tying up loose ends, etc) for months up until late December so I'm not too stoked on uprooting everything once again after such a short amount of time but just given my situation & the flexibility I have I feel like moving down there would so good for me on so many levels. Those concrete parks & street spots are a huge upgrade to all the lil shit here in Peoria, and I'm sure moving from a city of 100,000 people to one with over a million would be great for my music career as well. Plus tanned white girls in sundresses make my dick hard so that's a plus too