Author Topic: rit dying wheels  (Read 1801 times)

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
rit dying wheels
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
so i bought some liquid rit dye for my wheels and was hoping some people could share the proccesses theyve used. i saw a strange notes video where they soaked em in water first then heated them up in a pot with the dye. then i saw a vert vamp vid where he was just letting them sit in a tupperware. i'm going to do some aero autobahns and some softer i think 85a powells if that makes a difference. if anyone can link me to some good threads ill delete this but i couldnt find anything using the search. thanks pals!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: rit dying wheels
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:43:07 AM »
I've heard from a lot of people that powder rit works better and you have to use less of it. But I'm sure the liquid stuff will work

oldgoodburger

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »
fuck riding anything but white wheels

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »
Will try later.

smellyfart

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
can you only do solid colors or is there anywhere to make patterns and shit? definitely doing this to my next set of wheels.

Tim_Smith

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
had a friend that tried this and after skating on them for a day the color wore off on the riding area of the wheel. our only guess was that his wheels might be too hard to absorb the dye?

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
can you only do solid colors or is there anywhere to make patterns and shit? definitely doing this to my next set of wheels.

@1:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgl4oMMFnQ

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »

wisdom teeth

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
I've died shoes before, and had much more luck with the powder than the liquid.  But even with the powder the soles don't dye that deep; the dye shreds off after a session or two in high contact areas. 

I'm guessing it will be similar with wheels, which are presumably less absorbent than rubber soles; you can dye the sides but the edges will probably wear back to whatever color they were originally.

As for the dying process, all you have to do it heat water to just before boiling, pour the water into a bucket or whatever, add the dye (preferably the powder), mix it up with a stick or some such object, and drop in the shit to be dyed.  Stir it around for a bit.  The longer you leave them in the darker they will get.  Repeat the process if they come out too light.

It may be more effective to add the dye to hot water on a burner still, and dye shit in a pot with continued heat, but it will apparently ruin the pot you're using so I never tired.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:14:48 AM »

haha i never purchased color wheels in my life and never even had a desire to skate them. but i wont have to spend money and i feel like trying some out after all these years.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

zoltan

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
im tempted to try black wheels, or these. my homie had them they look really sick when they spin