Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136399 times)

Dirty Daventry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -25
Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
forgot the link.
Catch me at the crib getting light to Jeff Mangum
It's fun to do bad things like rhyme about handguns

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »

ZEBRA

« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
You guys act like he sold Zero to McDonald's or something. Money talks. Nike and Adidas buttfucked all the core shoe companies by offering the best skateboarders a shit load of cash and higher quality footwear, meanwhile ISUCK gets an offer to distribute for a corporate company while maintaining the exact same ownership and direction of the companies he helped build, and he's the guy that gets labeled a sell-out? I say good for him. He's taking advantage of the corporation more than they're taking advantage of him. New Balance has a lot more to lose than Black Box.

In no way do I support the corporate takeover of skateboarding, but I think it's been obvious that skateboarding's economic integrity has been somewhat fucked for a long time before Jenkem decided to point it out to you Janoski wearing hypocrites.

Yes I read that Jenkem article. A lot of it was based off a slippery slope. It states that "If corporate skating begins to dominate there will be little room left for the skating that Louie Barletta, Chris "Mango" Milic, or Jeff Stevens do, there will only be room for the (amazing, but) standardized and predictable skating of Greg Lutzka, Ryan Sheckler, and Nyjah Houston." That right there is complete bullshit and to put Jeff Stevens in the same category as Louie Barletta is blasphemy. There has never been a market for wacky skating without a certain level of talent in the first place. Tim and Eric aren't getting paid to put out their Roger videos, they're doing it because skateboarding is fun as fuck and no amount of cash on the planet will ever change that. With Louie Barletta you could take away the dork tricks and still have one amazingly talented dude. Just because Starbucks exists doesn't mean there aren't better "barista owned" smaller coffee shops whose Latte's haven't been tarnished by the quiff of a corporate mermaid's pussy.

What the fuck are you talking about??

You support Jamie Thomas backing New balance, but don't support the corporate takeover of skateboarding?? Then go on and call everyone hypocrites??

FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT!!!

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
You guys act like he sold Zero to McDonald's or something. Money talks. Nike and Adidas buttfucked all the core shoe companies by offering the best skateboarders a shit load of cash and higher quality footwear, meanwhile ISUCK gets an offer to distribute for a corporate company while maintaining the exact same ownership and direction of the companies he helped build, and he's the guy that gets labeled a sell-out? I say good for him. He's taking advantage of the corporation more than they're taking advantage of him. New Balance has a lot more to lose than Black Box.

In no way do I support the corporate takeover of skateboarding, but I think it's been obvious that skateboarding's economic integrity has been somewhat fucked for a long time before Jenkem decided to point it out to you Janoski wearing hypocrites.

Yes I read that Jenkem article. A lot of it was based off a slippery slope. It states that "If corporate skating begins to dominate there will be little room left for the skating that Louie Barletta, Chris "Mango" Milic, or Jeff Stevens do, there will only be room for the (amazing, but) standardized and predictable skating of Greg Lutzka, Ryan Sheckler, and Nyjah Houston." That right there is complete bullshit and to put Jeff Stevens in the same category as Louie Barletta is blasphemy. There has never been a market for wacky skating without a certain level of talent in the first place. Tim and Eric aren't getting paid to put out their Roger videos, they're doing it because skateboarding is fun as fuck and no amount of cash on the planet will ever change that. With Louie Barletta you could take away the dork tricks and still have one amazingly talented dude. Just because Starbucks exists doesn't mean there aren't better "barista owned" smaller coffee shops whose Latte's haven't been tarnished by the quiff of a corporate mermaid's pussy.
[close]

You support Jamie Thomas backing New balance, but don't support the corporate takeover of skateboarding?? Then go on and call everyone hypocrites??

I don't support it I'm just saying it's inevitable.

ZEBRA

« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's not inevitable if people don't sellout.

How are you not supporting it when you're saying it's OK that Jamie Tomas does this??

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
!
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
Aight now. You all skate Nikes and Adidas, "OMG Skating is so fucked these corporate companies are ruining skating!" boo fucking hoo, get real. These comanies aren't going anywhere, theres not gonna be another late 80's early 90's skate industry collapse. This "mainstream" exposure is here to stay. So hopefully PJ is the first pro on a company that started in Boston that will definatley make quality shoes and pay good skaters well. suck my poop

Samuel Gorgompus

« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
So New Balance is coming out of Black Box huh? Looks like James Brockman might have a shoe sponsor once again.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
i'm still waitin for this "death of skateboarding" you dudes keep talking about and have been talking about for more than a decade.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
I want made in USA skate shoes. NB is still 100% made in usa right?

ZEBRA

« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »
I want made in USA skate shoes. NB is still 100% made in usa right?

No. Not 100%. From what people have been saying, only like 15%-20% of shoes is USA made and are the more expensive New Balance shoes that are on the market.

Clayton

« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How are you not supporting it when you're saying it's OK that Jamie Tomas does this??

I'm not going to buy the shoes but I'm probably going to enjoy the video content/ads they will be putting out if they come out with a sick team as I mentioned in a previous post. I'm not going to label him a sellout for making an intelligent business decision. Jamie Thomas has never had a bullshit sponsor in his career as far as I can recall. Amazing skateboarders will be getting paid what they're worth and fake thug internet persona's will continue to call it the beginning of the end in all caps.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

ZEBRA

« Reply #222 on: December 13, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm not going to buy the shoes but I'm probably going to enjoy the video content/ads they will be putting out if they come out with a sick team as I mentioned in a previous post. I'm not going to label him a sellout for making an intelligent business decision. Jamie Thomas has never had a bullshit sponsor in his career as far as I can recall. Amazing skateboarders will be getting paid what they're worth and fake thug internet persona's will continue to call it the beginning of the end in all caps.

Intelligent business move?? Yes.

Selling out?? Yes.

Kankle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #223 on: December 13, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »
So all of these terrible, athletic, jock, huge, know-nothing companies can join the competion, but we can't even keep the true skateboarding brands alive anymore? Just look at what happened to éS and what's happening to all the other core companies. I hate how it is becoming.

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #224 on: December 13, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
I would never buy any hardgoods from a company that does not specialize in skating.  Hell, I always hated buying wheels from a company that specializes in boards (i.e. Plan B wheels).  Shoes however, are a different story...because yes Adidas and Nike make shoes, but they actually skate well and are very comfortable, and are of equal or higher quality than other "core brands." I would be willing to guess those bigger brands have higher QC standards as well.  

These brands are also home to some of the most "core" guys in skating like Gonz, Chet, Busenitz, Partnen, etc.  then there are the skate specific brands like DC that actually have a more commercial feel than Adidas.

On the other side of the coin there are brands like K-Swiss (which I have never owned a pair of the shoes in my life and have no interest in their skate stuff.)  I feel like they are just after a piece of the pie, whereas Nike and Adidas have fully embraced skating.  I do not feel embarrassed by their product or team, but cannot not say the same for K-Swiss.  In my opinion New Balance Numeric is a great example of a big company going after a piece of the pie.  They aren't embracing their heritage as an east coast brand and using their US factories; which sounds like something that is very important to the New Balance Customer, but then again this isn't New Balance...these are essentially re-branded Fallen shoes.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Intelligent business move?? Yes.

Selling out?? Yes.
Zebra you fucking suck so hard.

You start by saying that Lakai sucks because they don't have the resources that a Nike or an Adidas have to make "different" looking shoes without one-piece toe caps and then come in here throwing out all this shit about Thomas being a sellout.

While I don't agree with this move for Jamie, if New Balance wanted in, they could eventually get in. Black Box is just an ideal avenue to making it into the scope of skateboarding.

BigMoe

« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
I luv H8'rs - DGK

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
for the record, I'm NOT down for New Balance getting into skate shoes.

BUT, for the sake of argument (b/c thats what the SLAP MB is all about), New Balance has never really endorsed pro athletes/runners, whatever.  they have built their reputation solely on the quality, comfort, and durability of their products.  Now, let's say they take that same mentality to skateboarding.  Yeah, they are going to have a team, etc.  But what if their shoe technology is really head and shoulders above most other brands that are out there.  Do you continue to purchase an inferior product because it is "skater owned", knowing full well that you are getting the shaft?

Am I pretty much trolling?  yeah, i guess you could say that.  but seriously, what if they look at everything that companies have done poorly with regard to construction/durability and change it to ACTUALLY HAVE THE BEST INTERESTS OF SKATEBOARDERS IN MIND.  And what if it works?!?  It seems like that's what they've done with running...does anyone even know if they are owned by a runner?!?!?  do runners try to get other runners to NOT buy running show brands that aren't run by runners!?! 

(it's the end of the work day, trying to waste some time until I can go home...which is......NOW.  I'm out)
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
Regardless of your take on this issue, I think we can ALL AGREE that skate shoe companies need more Li'l Wayne.

ZEBRA

« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »

Zebra you fucking suck so hard.

You start by saying that Lakai sucks because they don't have the resources that a Nike or an Adidas have to make "different" looking shoes without one-piece toe caps and then come in here throwing out all this shit about Thomas being a sellout.

While I don't agree with this move for Jamie, if New Balance wanted in, they could eventually get in. Black Box is just an ideal avenue to making it into the scope of skateboarding.

I never said Lakai's suck. I said I hate how all their shoes look the same and I'd like to see some variety.

ZEBRA

« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

BUT, for the sake of argument (b/c thats what the SLAP MB is all about), New Balance has never really endorsed pro athletes/runners, whatever.  they have built their reputation solely on the quality, comfort, and durability of their products.  Now, let's say they take that same mentality to skateboarding.  Yeah, they are going to have a team, etc.  But what if their shoe technology is really head and shoulders above most other brands that are out there.  Do you continue to purchase an inferior product because it is "skater owned", knowing full well that you are getting the shaft?

Am I pretty much trolling?  yeah, i guess you could say that.  but seriously, what if they look at everything that companies have done poorly with regard to construction/durability and change it to ACTUALLY HAVE THE BEST INTERESTS OF SKATEBOARDERS IN MIND.  And what if it works?!?  It seems like that's what they've done with running...does anyone even know if they are owned by a runner?!?!?  do runners try to get other runners to NOT buy running show brands that aren't run by runners!?! 

(it's the end of the work day, trying to waste some time until I can go home...which is......NOW.  I'm out)

They actually do endorse athletes. It was a good argument though until I looked it up.

The bolded made me laugh.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

BUT, for the sake of argument (b/c thats what the SLAP MB is all about), New Balance has never really endorsed pro athletes/runners, whatever.?  they have built their reputation solely on the quality, comfort, and durability of their products.?  Now, let's say they take that same mentality to skateboarding.?  Yeah, they are going to have a team, etc.?  But what if their shoe technology is really head and shoulders above most other brands that are out there.?  Do you continue to purchase an inferior product because it is "skater owned", knowing full well that you are getting the shaft?
Am I pretty much trolling??  yeah, i guess you could say that.?  but seriously, what if they look at everything that companies have done poorly with regard to construction/durability and change it to ACTUALLY HAVE THE BEST INTERESTS OF SKATEBOARDERS IN MIND.?  And what if it works?!??  It seems like that's what they've done with running...does anyone even know if they are owned by a runner?!?!??  do runners try to get other runners to NOT buy running show brands that aren't run by runners!?!? 

(it's the end of the work day, trying to waste some time until I can go home...which is......NOW.?  I'm out)

theres not gonna be a monumental change in skate shoes. a shoe is a shoe. skater owned companies have increased quality to be able to compete. rick's new lakai shoe is seriously better quality than everything nike and adidias put out. you only need so much quality. so yes, i would skate a lesser quality skater owned shoe than support some bullshit

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »

Jeff Stevens - A Happy Medium 2

So I guess none of those tricks count as talent? And how many of those "barista owned" coffee shops have been popping up recently? There's two Starbucks within a walking/skating distance from me, but no small coffee shops. I think that the point is that those small companies will be even more rare than they are now, not that they will die out completely.

Clayton

« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »

So I guess none of those tricks count as talent? And how many of those "barista owned" coffee shops have been popping up recently? There's two Starbucks within a walking/skating distance from me, but no small coffee shops. I think that the point is that those small companies will be even more rare than they are now, not that they will die out completely.

Jesus fucking Christ. This is why you should never make SLAP posts containing any actual meaning. Haven't you been skating for like two years? Messageboarders (not skateboarders) will dissect any little sentence they can and use it against you.

Yes Jeff Stevens is obviously talented, a lot of that is gnarly, the hippie jump to blunt powerslide is sick as fuck but a lot of it's gimmicky and some of that stuff isn't always easy on the eyes. Comparing him to Louie is ridiculous, he made a part fundamentally better than that 13 years ago and has released half a dozen more since then.

enzone

« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
idk i feel like my old balance is totally fucked right now.. I'm hopin this new one'll really help my shit out for rilly rell

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jesus fucking Christ. This is why you should never make SLAP posts containing any actual meaning. Haven't you been skating for like two years? Messageboarders (not skateboarders) will dissect any little sentence they can and use it against you.

Yes Jeff Stevens is obviously talented, a lot of that is gnarly, the hippie jump to blunt powerslide is sick as fuck but a lot of it's gimmicky and some of that stuff isn't always easy on the eyes. Comparing him to Louie is ridiculous, he made a part fundamentally better than that 13 years ago and has released half a dozen more since then.
So are you saying I'm not a true skateboarder or something just because I haven't been skating that long?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
You know what? I don't want skateboarding to get taken over by big corporations, but I honestly don't really care all that much. Why? Because our favorite pros were the ones who drove the stake into the heart of skateboarding. You see, back in the 90's the skate industry was united in resisting these outside companies from infiltrating our pure sport. Nike and all the others tried and failed. Integrity was high in the skate world and the 90's remain arguably the most pure and amazing era for skateboarding. Skip ahead to the 2000's and one by one skateboarders started crossing the line. More than anyone else, I blame Koston. Dude has probably more respect than anyone in the industry and he was one of the first big names to do it. After that, the flood gates broke. But it's all good! I'm in my mid 30's and have enjoyed a pure version of it for a long time. I feel bad for the newer generations, though. But I'm fine with it because I know it was a suicide and not a murder.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:42 PM »
koston was on lakai till a couple years ago. p rod's deal was way bigger and earlier, and im sure he wasnt the first big one either.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
You know what? I don't want skateboarding to get taken over by big corporations, but I honestly don't really care all that much. Why? Because our favorite pros were the ones who drove the stake into the heart of skateboarding. You see, back in the 90's the skate industry was united in resisting these outside companies from infiltrating our pure sport. Nike and all the others tried and failed. Integrity was high in the skate world and the 90's remain arguably the most pure and amazing era for skateboarding. Skip ahead to the 2000's and one by one skateboarders started crossing the line. More than anyone else, I blame Koston. Dude has probably more respect than anyone in the industry and he was one of the first big names to do it. After that, the flood gates broke. But it's all good! I'm in my mid 30's and have enjoyed a pure version of it for a long time. I feel bad for the newer generations, though. But I'm fine with it because I know it was a suicide and not a murder.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I definitely get where you're coming from, and agree. While it's ultimately on the consumer to support or reject companies, the floods of pros endorsing the products and making them OK for the consumer to purchase has been the catalyst to the downfall. Before Nike's huge campaign to break into skateboarding for a second (or third?) time, you would have been the biggest kook ever if you showed up to the spot wearing some Air Forces. Chet Childress seemed like the dude who make it OK to wear Nikes for  a lot of people, as beforehand he was a "support your local skateshop" guy. Once he said it was OK, there was the big outbreak of people who never, ever would have bought Nike who started rocking dunks. If the original team hadn't been the dudes they were, Nike would have been shunned by skateboarding again. Instead, skateboarding got Trojan horsed. Everyones favorite guys said "BUY NIKE", and everyone listened. It became an open market for huge corporations to infiltrate, which they did. Now we have New Balance SB.

Arguments about upping the quality of skate goods (specifically shoes) are sound, and the fact that skater owned companies are being held to a higher standard is a good thing. It just sucks the reason they're actually stepping up their game is in a last ditch effort to keep skateboarding owned by skateboarders, not because they wanted to make quality shoes for skateboarders in the first place.

The whole situation is a pretty big catch-22.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:36:27 AM by via »

eelbermston

• Rep: 8
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »
Already know that an unaffiliated Black Box skater and New England native is their first rider.

Im interested to see what New Balance brings to the table...

Its sort of weird, im from New England and have worn New Balance my entire life. I have always thought the company and shoes are awesome. I think id be more into it if NB was making their own skate shoes and being distributed through Black Box rather than Black Box making the shoes... New Balance technology is pretty unique and if you every talk to any podiatrist they will always recommend NB.  Whatever... Bottom line is im very curious about the whole thing.