Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136440 times)

dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #690 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
we need more skater owned shoe companies... this is sad

A.J.K.

« Reply #691 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
we need more skater owned shoe companies... this is sad
No, we already have enough rad skater owned companies.  What we need is for people to actually start buying from these companies.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #692 on: February 04, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
oh god shut up, no one owns skateboarding, nike can't take it from you and skating isn't some secret exclusive club

I think you may have missed my point slightly
No-one is suggesting (or I am not at least) that someone else OWNS skateboarding but now that you mention it I fucking might, Yeah I want SKATEBOARDERS to keep "owning" skateboarding and its trends etc, well its better than rich businessmen who know fuck all about skateboarding.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Mad Lauder

• Rep: 37
  • RIP SLIM DUNKIN
    • THEWORST avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #693 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
I cannot wait for the palace/reebok thread.

you know that actually makes sense.
like palace and dgk are pretty similar in some aspects.
and that dgk rbk basketball shoe was raw.
i still want them bitchs.
I dont recall ever putting on anything Southpole in my life.
http://soundcloud.com/theworst

« Reply #694 on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i wanted them too. still do.

water

• southbound pachyderm
« Reply #695 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
Thank you pro skateboarders for dissappointing me even more than I ever thought possible (Not that my disappointment will matter to the individuals being paid by this corporation, but it's a point worth mentioning).
The professionals are to blame for the way skateboarding is these days, with the corporations taking over/ putting the smaller S.O business out of business. It is their willing acceptance of companies like Nike, New fucking ballance and Addidas, and promotion of these brands that "lets" the corporations into skateboarding more. Of course kids are going to buy shit like this if they see their favourite pro wearing the brand, even if it is someone like New Balance trying to get it while its hot.
Fuck I hope skateboarding DIES again, it's long overdue a good solid dip in popularity.

go away

jimi420

« Reply #696 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
So everyone was bummed when PJ got dropped by DC and moaning about how he deserves a shoe sponsor but now that he's heading a the first team for a company everyone is bummed out? I'm sorry but if you think that skateboarding would be sustainable with just the small "core" companies than you're completely mistaken. yeah it sucks that companies that have nothing to do with skateboarding are trying to reap in on the cash cow that our culture has become but there are hundreds of skaters out there that deserve to get a paycheck and not have to pay for shoes. There's no way that the handful of "core" companies could sponsor as many dudes that deserve it, so boohoo, some corporate dickheads came in under Black Box but like ISuck said, you have to be able to provide for yourself and keeping going. Nobody's gonna sit there after they have to start working a real job and think "man, at least I stayed core".

GershonSweaty

• @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #697 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Saw images yesterday, Reebok classics in all black and  all white with the logo on the tongue and some other minor detail and another few runners that were pretty true to clean reebok shapes. nothing ground breaking just another money making power move by Lev.

era

« Reply #698 on: February 05, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Those new balance Janoski's look so good.  Definitely going to pick up a pair.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #699 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
Expand Quote
oh god shut up, no one owns skateboarding, nike can't take it from you and skating isn't some secret exclusive club
[close]

No-one is suggesting (or I am not at least) that someone else OWNS skateboarding but now that you mention it I fucking might, Yeah I want SKATEBOARDERS to keep "owning" skateboarding and its trends etc, well its better than rich businessmen who know fuck all about skateboarding.

Is there really a need for skateboarding CEO's? Shit I would probably rather get Nike money then work my ass off starting a new company that could very likely fail. I'll continue to support smaller companies, but Nike/Adidas/Cons/New Balance are obviously utilizing their resources to make the highest quality product and this benefits the skating community as a whole. It seems pretty clear that they are supporting their riders pretty well too, unless you're Pops and doing nothing.

Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again, with the disappearance of Es there's only like 2-3 shoe companies anyway that are relevant and are not multinational corporations. I'm happy to have variety from buying Emericas, and I would probably buy a pair of Adidas over Circa/Osiris/DVS/Fallen/Axion/Supra. If you think that will cause some type of apocalypse for skateboarding, then you are a pussy and clearly can't have fun.

Seriously though name a shoe brand out there that we should be supporting that is not Emerica/Etnies, Lakai, or Huf. I'm not counting Vans because that is really the OG corporation shoe brand.

veebs

• Hard 2 sit when you got someone's hand up your ass
« Reply #700 on: February 05, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
i read earlier about some NOPE campaign that the cube is doing in retaliation of new balance entering the skate game.
it really bugs the shit out of me. its almost like they have something against skaters getting paid to skate, bc we all know
they dont like to pay their riders shit. i read that kyle berard went three fucking years without getting paid by consolidated... fuck
all this anti big business shit in skateboarding. if your products are good enough, the kids will buy your shit and you will survive.   

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #701 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Saw images yesterday, Reebok classics in all black and  all white with the logo on the tongue and some other minor detail and another few runners that were pretty true to clean reebok shapes. nothing ground breaking just another money making power move by Lev.
I seriously can't be the only one here who doesn't care much for palace.

I was tempted to buy a board or two when they first hit stateside, but then it got all hypebeasty and "exclusive" I love their team and the videos they put out I just am kind of indifferent towards that company.

thunderphucc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #702 on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
cbf reading 25 pages, have New Balance actually dropped a skate shoe yet  ???

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
cbf reading 25 pages, have New Balance actually dropped a skate shoe yet  ???

July, 2013
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

aTribeCalledIncest

• Rep: 0
« Reply #704 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
Popps on New Balance, not confirmed

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2013, 07:36:53 PM »
i know bobby worrestt has been wearing them. if they dont write up a contract i doubt he'll be wearing them for long.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #706 on: January 07, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is there really a need for skateboarding CEO's? Shit I would probably rather get Nike money then work my ass off starting a new company that could very likely fail. I'll continue to support smaller companies, but Nike/Adidas/Cons/New Balance are obviously utilizing their resources to make the highest quality product and this benefits the skating community as a whole. It seems pretty clear that they are supporting their riders pretty well too, unless you're Pops and doing nothing.

Look, I've said this before and I'll say it again, with the disappearance of Es there's only like 2-3 shoe companies anyway that are relevant and are not multinational corporations. I'm happy to have variety from buying Emericas, and I would probably buy a pair of Adidas over Circa/Osiris/DVS/Fallen/Axion/Supra. If you think that will cause some type of apocalypse for skateboarding, then you are a pussy and clearly can't have fun.

Seriously though name a shoe brand out there that we should be supporting that is not Emerica/Etnies, Lakai, or Huf. I'm not counting Vans because that is really the OG corporation shoe brand.

dekline

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #707 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

dekline

Well done reviving a topic almost a year later.